Your opinions on Windows 10?

ZeroXOF

Hello all, I'm currently at work and won't be able to download W10 at the moment so I though I'd ask the people who did. So how is the upgrade, better than W7 or W8/8.1? Drop me a comment on your opinions of what you like and what you don't like about W10.

I tried to "reserve" a copy as stated by Microsoft and installed required update yet there is still no "windows" icon in the tray. Tried uninstalling, reinstalling still nothing. Is this the only way to upgrade? (Link below)

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-win_upgrade/how-to-reserve-your-free-upgrade-to-windows-10/6c5fa167-467a-42f4-b4d2-91ac2be43c31

I tried to "reserve" a copy as stated by Microsoft and installed required update yet there is still no "windows" icon in the tray. Tried uninstalling, reinstalling still nothing. Is this the only way to upgrade? (Link below)

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-win_upgrade/how-to-reserve-your-free-upgrade-to-windows-10/6c5fa167-467a-42f4-b4d2-91ac2be43c31

I reserved a copy as well and haven't gotten the notification to install 10 either. The reserve went ok and my laptop doesn't say that it will notify me when the update is ready to be installed anymore either. I just get a "Notify me when ready" option.

So I guess I wait lol.

Did I miss something or did they completely skip windows 9

They skipped it as might/would have caused some problems with win 95/98 related stuff or something along those lines. Mayby someone else more versed with subject can say more.

Was win10 released worldwide? I didnt notice any pop ups when I turned my laptop on today.

• Like 1

They skipped it as might/would have caused some problems with win 95/98 related stuff or something along those lines. Mayby someone else more versed with subject can say more.

Was win10 released worldwide? I didnt notice any pop ups when I turned my laptop on today.

Can't download it as well......  :S

Peace in love, ponies, and the Third Street Saints

-Crappy-san

People hate on Windows 8 a lot, but it's actually not that bad at all if you make a few tweaks to it (such as replacing the Metro stuff with a normal start menu). In that case, it boots a ton faster than Win7 and uses less resources, so it's pretty great.

Actually, if you're going by the version numbers, then Windows 10 should be Windows v7.0 or v6.4 (Depending on whether the Microsoft employee you're talking to was dropped on his head as a baby, or ate paint chips). Except it's version 10.0, because fuck logic, fuck consecutive numbering, and fuck you (the new Microsoft slogan, out this Christmas!)

I think that's actually much more sensible, and the mistake was having the version number for Win7 be 6.1, etc. Seems much more intuitive to me. Depends how fanatically you follow Semver, I suppose, since the changes that are made are probably classed as backwards compatible. I don't know, it's a thorny issue.

• Like 1

Did I miss something or did they completely skip windows 9

Yup, this was a big story in September/October 2014, when Microsoft announced the next name. Old news.

I tried to "reserve" a copy as stated by Microsoft and installed required update yet there is still no "windows" icon in the tray. 

I reserved a copy as well and haven't gotten the notification to install 10 either. 

Microsoft is prioritizing people downloading the Win 10 reserves so they don't crash their activation servers and if they identify any massive flaws, they don't screw everybody at one. Finally they're actually thinking about the future and it's consequences if things go bad.

Windows 10 is pretty much Win 8 with a start menu and a bit more optimization for newer hardware. I played around with Windows 8 for a couple hours, but couldn't configure it to function how I'm comfortable. I pretty much want my OS out of the way, so I have Aero and all other eye candy turned off and my setup in Win7 looks pretty much the same as it has since Win98SE. Classic grey taskbar, left side of screen. I'll probably test Win10 in the next couple weeks and if I can get it to look and function like my current setup, I might jump.

I know it's a bit early & sorry about jumping in this thread for just this question but I would like to know if their are any issues with using already installed programs in windows7.Like nero,corel video editing. :hmm:

If it didn't have problems installing in Windows 8/8.1, it'll be fine in 10. I don't know what you mean by "already installed programs". I know it's a pain, but please don't just go the in-place "upgrade" route. It has caused problems since Win95. Just do the clean install and re-install and programs you want. A fresh registry is a fast registry!

• Like 1

I kind of feel like the whole 2 in 1 notion is starting to become sluggishly dull and nonproductive. When you ask for a laptop that you can touch instead of type on you pretty much a hunk of garbage that looks shiny and new. When I buy a laptop I expect it to be one thing, to be able play games and word process. Not be like tablet and just as powerful as tablet and play tablet games. If I want a tablet ill buy a tablet not a 2 in 1 windows 10 P.O.S

The last good OS they made was windows 7. Similar like windows XP it had hardly any flaws and was perfect, then Microsoft realized they released a product that worked wonderfully and had to revamp it to the shitty windows 8. They immediately pushed hard for 8 and locked windows 7 away in the basement next Sloth and punished anyone who still windows 7 for enjoying a great product.

So in short windows 10 is shit. Period. I don't like laptops that cross over and if I wanted a tablet I'd buy a good android tablet not that shitty windows one.

I kind of feel like the whole 2 in 1 notion is starting to become sluggishly dull and nonproductive. When you ask for a laptop that you can touch instead of type on you pretty much a hunk of garbage that looks shiny and new. When I buy a laptop I expect it to be one thing, to be able play games and word process. Not be like tablet and just as powerful as tablet and play tablet games. If I want a tablet ill buy a tablet not a 2 in 1 windows 10 P.O.S

The last good OS they made was windows 7. Similar like windows XP it had hardly any flaws and was perfect, then Microsoft realized they released a product that worked wonderfully and had to revamp it to the shitty windows 8. They immediately pushed hard for 8 and locked windows 7 away in the basement next Sloth and punished anyone who still windows 7 for enjoying a great product.

So in short windows 10 is shit. Period. I don't like laptops that cross over and if I wanted a tablet I'd buy a good android tablet not that shitty windows one.

I can understand disliking Windows 8 because of it's awful tablet driven interface... but how does that mean Windows 10 is shit?  It's actually rather slick, in my opinion.  Huge improvement over 8 in that regard.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn
  • Like 2