1TB or 2TB

UPAxGUNxGRAVE

well its about that time after ten games already and im in need of a new hard drive I have one in mind that everyone keeps recommending which is the backup slim plus I was thinking of the 2tb due to me buying a lot of physical and downloading the ps plus games every month but anyone's opinion is highly welcome!

Obviously first and foremost you should get a drive that complies with the specs of the PS4. Not worth anything if it doesnt work. Also, check for reviews for reliability and maybe some word of mouth of how good it works with the PS4.

That said, from a sheer economical standpoint, 2TB would be more cost-effective. As its usually less than double the price for double the storage space, and who knows if after 500GB later you may be in the same situation.

Im still waiting to upgrade myself. I tend to however around 60-100GB remaining and try to keep it that way, but over time it becomes harder and harder. Im hoping to hold out as long as possible to get the best working and best deal on a drive thats at least 2TB.

• Like 1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FRHTTIU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DERwell on amazon they have the backup slim plus which is exactly like the Seagate m9t he only you have to do is take out the hardrive within the casing then take off the foil then the rest is simple think that's what im headed to go get

here's the link if interested

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FRHTTIU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DERwell on amazon they have the backup slim plus which is exactly like the Seagate m9t he only you have to do is take out the hardrive within the casing then take off the foil then the rest is simple think that's what im headed to go get

here's the link if interested

You can find a 1TB for ~45-50 but a 2TB for 80 is a great deal. Last I checked, this same drive was 90 or 95 and that was 1-2 months ago.

Just make sure you are confident as hell in your ability to take the drive out because once you take it out, you will have to melt the wax that holds the board that connects the SATA to usb.

Highly reccomend getting a 2Tb there are some great ones for good prices atm as said above be careful with what you buy as not all HDDs are compatible with the Ps4 I have a 2Tb in my PS3 and have 150+ games installed on it with still a tonne of room free it's awesome.

Obviously first and foremost you should get a drive that complies with the specs of the PS4. Not worth anything if it doesnt work. Also, check for reviews for reliability and maybe some word of mouth of how good it works with the PS4.

That said, from a sheer economical standpoint, 2TB would be more cost-effective. As its usually less than double the price for double the storage space, and who knows if after 500GB later you may be in the same situation.

Im still waiting to upgrade myself. I tend to however around 60-100GB remaining and try to keep it that way, but over time it becomes harder and harder. Im hoping to hold out as long as possible to get the best working and best deal on a drive thats at least 2TB.

This. Also, pay attention to rpms, else the system will have more chances of overheating.

I can only speak for Ps3, but 5400rpm get the job done. As for capacity, check If there isn't any trouble with 2 tb. Reasons are the same as the quoted user.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra
  • Like 1

This. Also, pay attention to rpms, else the system will have more chances of overheating.

I can only speak for Ps3, but 5400rpm get the job done. As for capacity, check If there isn't any trouble with 2 tb. Reasons are the same as the quoted user.

More on the rpm.

5400 rpm is the best choice. It is the rpm for the standard hdd of the ps4.

7200 rpm can cause overheating problems, as noted by many who have done this.

Not sure if SSD's are compatible. Saw some stuff where people said they used them but don't know for sure how true that was.

Assuming it was, SSD's dont give much of a performance boost, are worse in space for value, and can cause many problems due to it being an SSD when intended use is for HDD. 

In cases I read, SSD is worse the using an HDD but again I don't know how true those were.

• Like 1

More on the rpm.

Not sure if SSD's are compatible. Saw some stuff where people said they used them but don't know for sure how true that was.

Assuming it was, SSD's dont give much of a performance boost, are worse in space for value, and can cause many problems due to it being an SSD when intended use is for HDD. 

In cases I read, SSD is worse the using an HDD but again I don't know how true those were.

I personally believe that the HDD space is more valuable dollar for dollar than the SSD's speed. The speed you get with a SSD is yes, faster. However, for some MP games you may be limited by how quickly other gamers can load the map in anyways. So for MP, whats the point?

That said, usually people upgrade because "Hey I need more storage!" and not "hmm...i really wish that one level can load faster". The priority clearly is on storage for the PS4s, and you dont get the same capacity in the SSDs than you do the HDDs at the moment, and even so, the cost would be insane.

So I tend to lean people towards HDD for PS4 upgrades 

If you download a lot of games & keep most of your disc games then 2TB is the way to go. I have a 1TB Hybrid Drive (loads games & levels up faster) but I sell a lot of my games when I'm done & delete the install data because I'm never going to play it again so I might as well. I have a lot of digital games & about 5 disc games. Witcher 3 36GB, The Lat of Us 43GB & Batman 53GB are the biggest & I still have 445GB left.  

I will most likely upgrade to a 2TB in a year or so.

its actually the same drive that you posted its just cheaper like 10$ which I mean yea that's good.All it needs is to take the drive out of case I checked it out they sad it is  5400 rpm so I mean I think it will be ok. 

I 100% support doing exactly what you plan. Buy the portable, remove the hard drive, use it in the PS4 and save the $10.

HOWEVER - That $10 you are saving is the difference between a 2 year (or more) manufacturer warranty or no warranty at all. Just a warning to those who go that route.

And to think my first hard drive upgrade I ever bought was a 10 GB 5400 rpm 3.5" drive on SALE for $199!! I upgraded from 2 GB to 10 GB and thought I had all the space in the world!

We are living in great times, friends!

I 100% support doing exactly what you plan. Buy the portable, remove the hard drive, use it in the PS4 and save the $10.

HOWEVER - That $10 you are saving is the difference between a 2 year (or more) manufacturer warranty or no warranty at all. Just a warning to those who go that route.

And to think my first hard drive upgrade I ever bought was a 10 GB 5400 rpm 3.5" drive on SALE for $199!! I upgraded from 2 GB to 10 GB and thought I had all the space in the world!

We are living in great times, friends!

Seriously, not that many years ago, Gigabyte storage was what Terabyte storage is today. Soon it will Petabyte I bet. Although, that might still be a ways off. Here's an article that says we might not see 100TB drives until 10 years from now haha. http://www.computerworld.com/article/2852233/want-a-100tb-disk-drive-youll-have-to-wait-til-2025.html

The PS4 uses an ancient SATA II 5400RPM drive to save Sony money in production costs, its the bare minimum.

Get a 7200RPM SATA III drive, just make sure it's 2.5 inches. You'll get a bit of a performance boost and they're not really much more expensive.

I really don't believe this, where has that happened? A 7200RPM drive does not generate significantly more heat than 5400.

I really don't believe this, where has that happened? A 7200RPM drive does not generate significantly more heat than 5400.

Few people have ever bothered to measure the difference and now that SSD's tend to be taking over, HDDs are getting less attention then ever. When measured, the heat difference was +~10-12 degrees Fahrenheit. Not enough to affect too much.

Few people have ever bothered to measure the difference and now that SSD's tend to be taking over, HDDs are getting less attention then ever. When measured, the heat difference was +~10-12 degrees Fahrenheit. Not enough to affect too much.

Yeah, thats negligible then.

Also SSD's are not going to be viable for a very long time, a 1TB SSD is more expensive than the PS4 itself. Not only that but PS4's OS is not optimized to use SSDs so I wouldn't recommend using them until they're truly dirt cheap.

The performance increase varies by game and it only seems to be using a fraction of the speed in most cases from tests I've seen.

Edited by Hailst0rm_2

I personally believe that the HDD space is more valuable dollar for dollar than the SSD's speed. The speed you get with a SSD is yes, faster. However, for some MP games you may be limited by how quickly other gamers can load the map in anyways. So for MP, whats the point?

That said, usually people upgrade because "Hey I need more storage!" and not "hmm...i really wish that one level can load faster". The priority clearly is on storage for the PS4s, and you dont get the same capacity in the SSDs than you do the HDDs at the moment, and even so, the cost would be insane.

So I tend to lean people towards HDD for PS4 upgrades 

As do I, the SSD stuff was just an FYI for those who were interested.

Personally I think it's stupid to use an SSD for anything other than loading up OS and important heavy resource programs (on computers not consoles).

But to each their own, I wouldn't judge someone for doing it.