National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

How the f--k did Jeff Fisher get an extension from the Rams' front office?

There are ownership types out there who put a non-zero value on things like "continuity" and "stability" when it comes to Coaches and General Managers, even if the track records of those Coaches and General Managers leave a lot to be desired.  I've had a front row seat to exactly that syndrome for a long time here in New Jersey because Giants' ownership is in that particular boat.

Jeff Fisher has a very good reputation, but I think many of us in this thread know it's little more than a reputation at this point.  And I do recall reading quotes from the Rams' owner that he wanted some of that "continuity" and "stability" with the move to Los Angeles.

Ffs this just appeared while scrolling through yahoo.

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/england-patriots-te-rob-gronkowski-203556508.html

:facepalm: fails all around.

EDIT:

Wish I got to see this game lol

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/kevin-harlans-call-of-the-49ers-fan-who-ran-on-the-field-is-just-the-best-054443557.html

Edited by Avatar_Of_Battle

My Week 2 NFL Tips

Bills over Jets

Steelers over Bengals

Ravens over Browns

My Cowboys over Redskins

Lions over Titans

Chiefs over Texans

Patriots over Dolphins

Giants over Saints

Panthers over 49ers

Seahawks over Rams

Cardinals over Bucs

Raiders over Falcons

Broncos over Colts

Jags over Chargers

Vikings over Packers

Eagles over Bears

There are ownership types out there who put a non-zero value on things like "continuity" and "stability" when it comes to Coaches and General Managers, even if the track records of those Coaches and General Managers leave a lot to be desired.  I've had a front row seat to exactly that syndrome for a long time here in New Jersey because Giants' ownership is in that particular boat.

Jeff Fisher has a very good reputation, but I think many of us in this thread know it's little more than a reputation at this point.  And I do recall reading quotes from the Rams' owner that he wanted some of that "continuity" and "stability" with the move to Los Angeles.

Continuity and stability huh, I guess the ineptitude goes from the top down.  Wonder if Kroenke thinks any of us are buying that he (like all owners) cares about anything other than money.  I guess if it's consistency he wants, Fisher is his man.  He has consistently gone 7-9, he's consistently wasted high draft pick after high draft pick, he even tried to rub it in Washington's face when he trotted all those guys he picked onto the middle of the field when they played a while back (at least RGIII took Washington to the playoffs once).  The only thing he can hang his hat on is his record against Seattle.  If the ownership cared -at all- this would be the year that Fisher either goes to the playoffs or he's out, you can't be given everything he's been given and put a 28-0 loss against the 9ers out on the field on week one.  Maybe in 2012 or 2013, but in 2016... just, no.

I've lived in Houston for 10 years now, and I've been rooting for the Texans for 8 of those.

However, I grew up 2 hours from The Bay, and as an old 49ers fan I fully support the Rams murdering the Seahawks and playing like crap the rest of the season. xD

I've lived in Houston for 10 years now, and I've been rooting for the Texans for 8 of those.

However, I grew up 2 hours from The Bay, and as an old 49ers fan I fully support the Rams murdering the Seahawks and playing like crap the rest of the season. xD

Lol,  as a Seahawks fan it was painful seeing the 9ers do that to St. Lou I mean LA knowing they're (the Rams) most likely going to be a completely different team next week.  What better motivation to play out of their minds than a home opener, in a new city, the week after getting shut out by what most people thought would be one of the worst teams in football.  Still looking forward to seeing if Carroll's going to get either a heroes welcome or boo'd out of the stadium.

Lol,  as a Seahawks fan it was painful seeing the 9ers do that to St. Lou I mean LA knowing they're (the Rams) most likely going to be a completely different team next week.  What better motivation to play out of their minds than a home opener, in a new city, the week after getting shut out by what most people thought would be one of the worst teams in football.  Still looking forward to seeing if Carroll's going to get either a heroes welcome or boo'd out of the stadium.

The Rams are built to crush Seattle and San Francisco, I am not sure exactly what happened in the game on Monday and how they were held scoreless or how they surrendered 28 but anyhow I got Seattle winning in a relatively close game (23-17). 

A little late with my week 2 picks but here they are: (I didn't do these until after the Jets and Bills game was nearly finished. Even though I would have picked NY to win I will skip that game)

Panthers over 49ers

Ravens over Browns

Titans over Lions

Chiefs over Texans 

Patriots over Dolphins 

Giants over Saints (This one will be good 45-38 is the score)

Steelers over Bengals 

Redskins over Cowboys

Cardinals over Bucs 

Seahawks over Rams 

Colts over Broncos (Upset Time)

Raiders over Falcons

Jaguars over Chargers

Packers over Vikings

Eagles over Bears 

Edited by Lithium_Lemon

Wonder if Kroenke thinks any of us are buying that he (like all owners) cares about anything other than money.

I have a difficult time faulting ownership in any of the North American "Big Four" sports for chasing profits first and worrying somewhere down the line about just how good his team is.  With the amount of money it takes to purchase a team these days, plus the amount of cash it takes to operate those teams, there aren't very many guys who can afford it in the first place.  And that goes especially in the NFL where franchises are closing in on being worth billions (with a "B") and CBA rules require teams to spend exorbitant amounts of cash on their payrolls.  And Kroenke's interests in the Los Angeles stadium come from the land he owns out there and the development he wants to spring up around it.  He's a real estate/builder type guy first and an owner second.

We'd all love guys like Mark Cuban who prioritize winning first and at nearly "all costs", but those guys are few and far between.

So yeah 2 games in for Bills and they have fired OC Greg Roman, even when it seemed defense has been poorer

Except Buffalo's offense has sucked.  They were toothless against Baltimore on Sunday, and their numbers looked more optically pleasing last night but are something of an illusion:  take away the two big pass plays and Buffalo's offense didn't do a damn thing until they were facing a "prevent" defense with four minutes to play.

I mean, the defense was atrocious last night as well.  But you don't fire a Head Coach after two weeks, so a scapegoat had to be found somewhere and the Defensive Coordinator was just hired this offseason.

Buffalo will clean house on "Black Monday" if they don't turn it around.  And they probably won't, because they're staring down the barrel of 0-4.

I have a difficult time faulting ownership in any of the North American "Big Four" sports for chasing profits first and worrying somewhere down the line about just how good his team is.  With the amount of money it takes to purchase a team these days, plus the amount of cash it takes to operate those teams, there aren't very many guys who can afford it in the first place.  And that goes especially in the NFL where franchises are closing in on being worth billions (with a "B") and CBA rules require teams to spend exorbitant amounts of cash on their payrolls.  And Kroenke's interests in the Los Angeles stadium come from the land he owns out there and the development he wants to spring up around it.  He's a real estate/builder type guy first and an owner second.

I'm not naive enough to think he's going to go broke any time soon but it seems like putting a good product on the field would be important for better profits.  St. Louis' home games were played in front of tens of people 8 times a year and I'm sure that had to hurt Kroenke's pocket at least a bit.  I know St. Louis has the Cardinals and baseball is their #1 but if the LA Rams turn into a losing team year after year I'm sure the Los Angeleans(?) won't have too much difficulty finding something else to do.  If the new stadium, and everything he builds around it, sits mostly empty during the most important time of the year that seems like it would have to make for some bad times for ownership right?  I don't know, I'd personally just fire Fisher  so I could at least have the "rebuilding" excuse to feed the LA fans to buy some time while the team tries to figure it out.  

Edited by skidmarkgn

I'm not naive enough to think he's going to go broke any time soon but it seems like putting a good product on the field would be important for better profits.  St. Louis' home games were played in front of tens of people 8 times a year and I'm sure that had to hurt Kroenke's pocket at least a bit.  I know St. Louis has the Cardinals and baseball is their #1 but if the LA Rams turn into a losing team year after year I'm sure the Los Angeleans(?) won't have too much difficulty finding something else to do.  If the new stadium, and everything he builds around it, sits mostly empty during the most important time of the year that seems like it would have to make for some bad times for ownership right?  I don't know, I'd personally just fire Fisher  so I could at least have the "rebuilding" excuse to feed the LA fans to buy some time while the team tries to figure it out.  

Stadium ticket sales aren't the cash cow for the NFL and its ownership and having empty seats and unsold tickets isn't very harmful to NFL teams.  The big money comes from the national contracts with CBS, Fox, NBC, and ESPN.  The NFL Network provides a lot of money.  Local advertising and rights deals provide a lot of money.  And if you are a sports owner and you own your building, whether it is a football stadium or even a basketball/hockey arena, you can make a crapton of money with concerts, Disney on Ice, et cetera.

The denizens of Los Angeles will find something different to do in a few years, but right now they're probably just happy to have the NFL back for the first time in two decades.  And it won't hurt Stan Kroenke anywhere near as much as you'd like to think it would.

If the NFL can make a successful go of it in Jacksonville with the tragi-comedy that franchise has been for a long time, Stan Kroenke will be just fine.

Stadium ticket sales aren't the cash cow for the NFL and its ownership and having empty seats and unsold tickets isn't very harmful to NFL teams.  The big money comes from the national contracts with CBS, Fox, NBC, and ESPN.  The NFL Network provides a lot of money.  Local advertising and rights deals provide a lot of money.  And if you are a sports owner and you own your building, whether it is a football stadium or even a basketball/hockey arena, you can make a crapton of money with concerts, Disney on Ice, et cetera.

The denizens of Los Angeles will find something different to do in a few years, but right now they're probably just happy to have the NFL back for the first time in two decades.  And it won't hurt Stan Kroenke anywhere near as much as you'd like to think it would.

If the NFL can make a successful go of it in Jacksonville with the tragi-comedy that franchise has been for a long time, Stan Kroenke will be just fine.

Now I know, and knowing is half the battle.

Whats wrong man  :D

Same 'ol same 'ol.  The Rams won their superbowl just like we all knew would happen, now they can go on to 7-9 again.  

The only real irritating thing is the last drive  Michaels has already been kicked off the team once because of his fumbling problems.  He's a pre-season hall of famer but in the regular season, he sucks.  I would be amazed if he's on the team come week 17, he's had enough chances and I'd personally rather see a rookie out there than captain fumble anymore, and I'm sure Carroll's going to be there pretty soon too.  Poor ball control drives him absolutely nuts.  But hey, at least the Mariners won.

Edited by skidmarkgn

Just realized, the Dolphins are on pace to injure 16 QB's this season.  Suh must be taking guys under his wing and teaching some new "techniques"  :P

lol I was surprised that it wasn't Suh in that play.

Gotta say when I saw the hit I knew Garoppolo was out. 

I can only imagine how pissed Packers fans were last night when the guy drew a pass interference penalty on the Vikings 4th down. :facepalm:

Maybe it's just me but a lot of these penalties just seem so easy to avoid, and I love when a player who commits the offense freaks on the field like "no way dude I never did that shit wtf is going on?"

I love when a player who commits the offense freaks on the field like "no way dude I never did that shit wtf is going on?"

That's because over half the players are breaking/bending at least one rule on every single play, without getting called on it. When they get flagged for taking a cookie from the jar after getting away with stealing a $20, it's a little frustrating amirite? Edited by Hemiak
  • Like 1

That's because over half the players are breaking/bending at least one rule on every single play, without getting called on it. When they get flagged for taking a cookie from the jar after getting away with stealing a $20, it's a little frustrating amirite?

lol but some of them are just undeniable. You can't be mad that you get called for grabbing a facemask...when it's almost impossible to do by accident. And pass interference due to holding someone is just something that shouldn't even be done. I get accidentally tripping into someone or while not looking committing the foul but some players have no reason for getting upset lol.

I guess I have a different view on it because when my neighborhood got together for "street" football and basketball I never had anyone crying foul in football because it's easy to avoid doing anything "naughty". In basketball when defending I always seemed to commit a foul though. :giggle:

Just realized, the Dolphins are on pace to injure 16 QB's this season.  Suh must be taking guys under his wing and teaching some new "techniques"  :P

If he really wanted to help the Dolphins by injuring QBs, he'd crush Ryan Tannehill in practice hard enough to land him on IR.  Not that the Dolphins are any good or that their backup is, but Tannehill might be the difference between 2-14 and 5-11 and that means something in terms of having a better shot at elite talent in the draft.

Week 3 Predictions

Patriots over Texans

Cardinals over Bills

Raiders over Titans 

Redskins over Giants

Dolphins over Browns

Ravens over Jaguars

Packers over Lions

Bengals over Broncos

Panthers over Vikings

Bucs over Rams

Seahawks over 49ers