National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

10 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Anyone else not able to see the score on their TV? The box in the upper left hand corner is cut off by about half no matter what aspect ratio I set the tv to. It's more irritating than I imagined it would be.

It's preseason. You don't need to know the score. B)

• Like 1

So The Bills traded there best wide receiver Sammy Watkins to the Rams https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bills-trade-sammy-watkins-to-rams-for-e-j-gaines-and-a-huge-draft-pick-upgrade/  

Dolphins confirm Ryan Tannehill to have surgery and miss the entire season https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/dolphins-ryan-tannehill-reportedly-decides-to-have-season-ending-acl-surgery/

And NFL has suspended Ezekiel Elliot 6 games suspension http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20302469/ezekiel-elliott-dallas-cowboys-suspended-six-games though he says he is planning to take it through the courts 

17 hours ago, Jare said:

So The Bills traded there best wide receiver Sammy Watkins to the Rams https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bills-trade-sammy-watkins-to-rams-for-e-j-gaines-and-a-huge-draft-pick-upgrade/  

Dolphins confirm Ryan Tannehill to have surgery and miss the entire season https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/dolphins-ryan-tannehill-reportedly-decides-to-have-season-ending-acl-surgery/

And NFL has suspended Ezekiel Elliot 6 games suspension http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20302469/ezekiel-elliott-dallas-cowboys-suspended-six-games though he says he is planning to take it through the courts 

Too bad for Watkins, it's much tougher to be a star receiver when you have a shit QB trying to throw you the ball. 

As for Elliot... good.  The league absolutely had to do something when it came to this.  Even if the evidence is iffy.  I'm sure people are going to cry foul, just like they did last year with Brady (which is insane, I mean honestly, does anyone really think the league doesn't want Dallas and New England to be successful), but a message needs to be sent.  Jerry Jones especially, who embraces and encourages scumbag culture needs to realize the star on the helmet doesn't make players above the rules of conduct.  Seattle did it with Sherman in this off-season when they publicly stated they were open to trading him if the offer was right and I applauded them all the way.  I said it before with Kaepernick and I'll say it again with Sherman and Elliot, actions have consequences.

After watching what the Mariners are going through I was really hoping that karma was a thing and the Seahawks had a 100% healthy year ahead of them... then, off all things, a starting O-lineman goes down for the season.  Shit.

On the plus side though, the depth is looking promising.  The running back, receiver, and D-lineman positions all look to be bursting at the seams, Boykin (who really shouldn't be on the team after his off season bullshit) already put a lid on the backup QB issue and the remaining O-lineman look to be coming together.  Walsh is also looking like whatever was screwing with his mind in Minnesota is behind him as well.  

In many decades of being a Jets fan, I've seen some pretty putrid play, quarterback and otherwise.

Watching Christian Hackenberg in the first half against a mediocre Giants team last night?  That "performance" is very much in the running for the worst performance I've ever seen out of a New York Football Jet.  I mean, it's like Todd Bowles has thrown up his hands and said "fuck it all" or something with his preseason -- he's doing everything in his power to GIVE the starting job to Hackenberg, either because he knows he's getting fired at the end of the season and is being the good soldier or because he's been told he's safe this year so long as he "follows the program" of tanking/player development.

(For those of you who missed it:  several blown blocking adjustments, several sacks, an early safety, and TWO pick-sixes.  The game was 29-3 at the half, and Bryce Petty against the Giants' understudies is pretty much why the Jets only lost 32-31.)

The Jets starters are going to have to play a fair amount in Thursday's preseason finale, if only to get Josh McCown some reps before the regular season.  The only way Hackenberg opens the season as even the #2 guy is if Bryce Petty is far more injured than the team is letting on, and even then I'd think about signing a veteran off the street to fill the job (though not Kaepernick).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, acasser said:

In many decades of being a Jets fan, I've seen some pretty putrid play, quarterback and otherwise.

Watching Christian Hackenberg in the first half against a mediocre Giants team last night?  That "performance" is very much in the running for the worst performance I've ever seen out of a New York Football Jet.  I mean, it's like Todd Bowles has thrown up his hands and said "fuck it all" or something with his preseason -- he's doing everything in his power to GIVE the starting job to Hackenberg, either because he knows he's getting fired at the end of the season and is being the good soldier or because he's been told he's safe this year so long as he "follows the program" of tanking/player development.

(For those of you who missed it:  several blown blocking adjustments, several sacks, an early safety, and TWO pick-sixes.  The game was 29-3 at the half, and Bryce Petty against the Giants' understudies is pretty much why the Jets only lost 32-31.)

The Jets starters are going to have to play a fair amount in Thursday's preseason finale, if only to get Josh McCown some reps before the regular season.  The only way Hackenberg opens the season as even the #2 guy is if Bryce Petty is far more injured than the team is letting on, and even then I'd think about signing a veteran off the street to fill the job (though not Kaepernick).

I watched a lot of Big 10 games and could never figure out the hype on Hackenberg. I was never "wowed" by him and can't remember him ever taking over a game and winning it for PSU. He reminds me of Kurt Kittner of Illinois. Steady college QB who thrived with good players around him but was never solid pro material. 

Thanks for the post, it made me laugh. Unfortunately for Jets fans, their team often provides comic relief for the rest of the NFL.

4 hours ago, Chansey said:

I Personally think its worth it, when he's there best QB in a long while and has got them to playoffs a couple times, several teams would love to have him as there qb 

I know I'm in the minority here but it's sad to see Kearse go.  Yeah, he had a terrible season last year but I personally don't put that all on him, Beville and Wilson also decided that forcing the ball to Kearse instead of Graham over and over and over even though he was having a down year was a great idea too.  Kearse has been a hero to this team several times (the catch in the NFC title game against the 9ers, the catch in the NFC title game against Green Bay, and the catch against the Pats in the SB that would have still been being talked about as one of the, if not the, greatest catch(es) in SB hisory... if they had ran it on the 1) and he deserves better than the treatment the fanbase here is giving him.  I understand the philosophy behind the trade, but, they're losing a veteran that has a relationship with Wilson for a whole lot of "ifs".  If Richardson can stay healthy, if Lockett's the same player after a broken leg, if this rookie and this other rookie weren't just more Christine Michaels (guys who look unstoppable in pre-season only to stink out loud when the lights go on).  Anyways, hopefully he'll help your (acasser) Jets figure something out this year, and maybe even have a few more hero catches left in him.

Not too familiar with Richardson, anyone (read: acasser again) care to help out on who Seattle got by acquiring him?

Edited by skidmarkgn

Believe it or not, I felt this trade coming two days ago -- as soon as I saw the rumours that Seattle was shopping Kearse.  I wasn't sure how much sense Sheldon Richardson made for the Seahawks, but Kearse makes sense for a Jets team whose Wide Receiving corps is probably worse than some good college teams.... especially after Enunwa got hurt and was lost for the year.  I probably should have posted something here to demonstrate my foresight, but alas....

2 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Not too familiar with Richardson, anyone (read: acasser again) care to help out on who Seattle got by acquiring him?

He's incredibly talented -- there's a reason he was a very high draft pick, a Defensive Rookie of the Year, and a former Pro Bowler.

He's also in the last year of his rookie contract and the Jets weren't going to extend him.  Part of it is finances and numbers on the D-Line, because the Jets have Mo Wilkerson (entering the second season of a 5-year/$86 million deal, although one they could probably get out of after this year) and Leonard Williams and it's uncomfortable at best when those two AND Richardson are on the field at the same time.

And it's also a case where Richardson can be a real problem in the locker room.  Yes, last year's Jets were a catastrophe of chemistry with the defense and the offense at each other's throats much of the year.  Richardson in particular had a running feud with Brandon Marshall that hasn't ceased even after Marshall's release.  And he's been politely (and publicly) asked to shut up by Todd Bowles on multiple occasions in the past few months.

Seattle is getting a very good player at minimal risk because they can simply walk away after this year if they don't like what they have or if the re-sign price is excessive.  And he should be a motivated player because it's a contract year.  But you've also got a guy who likes to shoot off his mouth and who isn't always a teammate you want in that locker room.

And as with Brandon Marshall and his new home in the other locker room at MetLife Stadium, I figure he'll be a very good player and a happy camper so long as things are going well.  But if things get sideways and/or the offense lets the defense down a bunch, there's a real chance for the malcontent to come out and disrupt things.  I figure that's going to happen for the Giants (and Marshall) at some point this season, because I think they're a fatally flawed team headed for 6-10.  But I don't see enough of a challenge to the Seahawks in that division that I think it's an enormous risk to carry Sheldon Richardson for this season -- mostly because I think Arizona is terrible while the Rams and 49ers are worse.

One other thing to add re: Sheldon Richardson.  His off-the-field record isn't exactly wonderful either -- he's been suspended twice previously by the League (and not for PEDs).  That's another reason why the Jets were extraordinarily unlikely to re-sign him after this year.

The 2nd round pick the Jets acquired was the necessary price to move Richardson.  If the Jets simply used him this year and let him walk, they were going to get a 3rd round compensatory pick in 2019.  As such, they were always going to have to get something more valuable than that to make a trade.

5 hours ago, acasser said:

Believe it or not, I felt this trade coming two days ago -- as soon as I saw the rumours that Seattle was shopping Kearse.  I wasn't sure how much sense Sheldon Richardson made for the Seahawks, but Kearse makes sense for a Jets team whose Wide Receiving corps is probably worse than some good college teams.... especially after Enunwa got hurt and was lost for the year.  I probably should have posted something here to demonstrate my foresight, but alas....

He's incredibly talented -- there's a reason he was a very high draft pick, a Defensive Rookie of the Year, and a former Pro Bowler.

He's also in the last year of his rookie contract and the Jets weren't going to extend him.  Part of it is finances and numbers on the D-Line, because the Jets have Mo Wilkerson (entering the second season of a 5-year/$86 million deal, although one they could probably get out of after this year) and Leonard Williams and it's uncomfortable at best when those two AND Richardson are on the field at the same time.

And it's also a case where Richardson can be a real problem in the locker room.  Yes, last year's Jets were a catastrophe of chemistry with the defense and the offense at each other's throats much of the year.  Richardson in particular had a running feud with Brandon Marshall that hasn't ceased even after Marshall's release.  And he's been politely (and publicly) asked to shut up by Todd Bowles on multiple occasions in the past few months.

Seattle is getting a very good player at minimal risk because they can simply walk away after this year if they don't like what they have or if the re-sign price is excessive.  And he should be a motivated player because it's a contract year.  But you've also got a guy who likes to shoot off his mouth and who isn't always a teammate you want in that locker room.

And as with Brandon Marshall and his new home in the other locker room at MetLife Stadium, I figure he'll be a very good player and a happy camper so long as things are going well.  But if things get sideways and/or the offense lets the defense down a bunch, there's a real chance for the malcontent to come out and disrupt things.  I figure that's going to happen for the Giants (and Marshall) at some point this season, because I think they're a fatally flawed team headed for 6-10.  But I don't see enough of a challenge to the Seahawks in that division that I think it's an enormous risk to carry Sheldon Richardson for this season -- mostly because I think Arizona is terrible while the Rams and 49ers are worse.

Sounds like the type of guy Pete and John lust over.  They seem to REALLY enjoy finding extremely talented guys with personality issues and giving them a go.  

As for Marshall being with the Giants... that's a ticking time bomb if I ever did see one.  I mean, c'mon, the head case that is ODB jr paired with the head case that is Marshall... I give it 4 weeks tops before those two come to blows.

10 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

As for Marshall being with the Giants... that's a ticking time bomb if I ever did see one.  I mean, c'mon, the head case that is ODB jr paired with the head case that is Marshall... I give it 4 weeks tops before those two come to blows.

I figure as long as both guys are productive and the team is winning, there won't be any issues.  Neither guy will whine about touches and Marshall's teammates won't get vocal about the guy continuing to do his HBO show on the side.

But -- to me -- it is a ticking time bomb.  Because that offensive line is terrible and I don't know that there are going to be enough touches to go around.  Eli Manning is going to be sacked a ton and/or throw a lot of balls up for grabs.  Marshall and Beckham can win a lot of those 50/50 balls, but we've seen Eli having the tendency to throw interceptions in bunches.  Not to mention, the Giants are completely screwed on defense if they have any injuries, because their backups are atrocious -- witness what New England's backups did to their backups on Thursday, or what the Jets' backups did to their backups the previous week.

The Giants have the potential to be a great team.... so long as they're healthy.  It's when they're not that the fun begins, and as a Jets fan I'm not going to have many other sources of "fun" this season.

7 hours ago, acasser said:

I figure as long as both guys are productive and the team is winning, there won't be any issues.  Neither guy will whine about touches and Marshall's teammates won't get vocal about the guy continuing to do his HBO show on the side.

But -- to me -- it is a ticking time bomb.  Because that offensive line is terrible and I don't know that there are going to be enough touches to go around.  Eli Manning is going to be sacked a ton and/or throw a lot of balls up for grabs.  Marshall and Beckham can win a lot of those 50/50 balls, but we've seen Eli having the tendency to throw interceptions in bunches.  Not to mention, the Giants are completely screwed on defense if they have any injuries, because their backups are atrocious -- witness what New England's backups did to their backups on Thursday, or what the Jets' backups did to their backups the previous week.

The Giants have the potential to be a great team.... so long as they're healthy.  It's when they're not that the fun begins, and as a Jets fan I'm not going to have many other sources of "fun" this season.

With how easy it seems to be to get inside Beckham's head, and with Marshall's (from what little I've seen and paid attention to) grudge holding ability it seems like anything other than a 16-0 season means disaster for those two.  I know Seattle's on their schedule, maybe Sherm can channel his old obnoxious 2013 self and see just how fast he can blow the top off of one, if not both, of them. 

Just now, skidmarkgn said:

With how easy it seems to be to get inside Beckham's head, and with Marshall's (from what little I've seen and paid attention to) grudge holding ability it seems like anything other than a 16-0 season means disaster for those two.  I know Seattle's on their schedule, maybe Sherm can channel his old obnoxious 2013 self and see just how fast he can blow the top off of one, if not both, of them. 

Seattle plays the Giants this season?  Oh, dear Lord.... you need to start praying RIGHT NOW that Pete Carroll and your GM put Sheldon Richardson into Witness Protection the second Seattle's last game pre-Giants ends.  Don't even let Richardson talk to the media after THAT (pre-Giants) game and don't let a microphone or camera near him until several days after the Giants game ends.  (Runs and checks Seattle's schedule for specifics.)  Christ.... that the Seahawks play the Giants after their bye week makes it even worse: it's twice as much time for Sheldon Richardson to shoot off his mouth and say something really stupid that his teammates will end up paying for.  It's going to be two weeks of Richardson whining about Brandon Marshall if given even the ghost of a chance.

As for Brandon Marshall, Marshall is capable of holding his tongue and playing nice with his teammates.  But history has shown that lasts only so long as things are going swimmingly.  He needs his touches, and I don't doubt that he'll get his -- even if OBJ is the first option and the second option in that offense, the Giants can't run the football which means Eli Manning is going to throw 40 passes a game.  That's enough to go around for OBJ and Marshall and probably even Sterling Shepard and Evan Engram on top of that.  Especially if Eli simply has to put balls up for grabs at various points when fourteen blitzers are on top of him as soon as he says "hike!" -- he'll go to Marshall and OBJ first because they can win 50/50 balls.

It's simply a matter of waiting for the Giants to lose games.  Then everybody gets miserable.

22 hours ago, acasser said:

Seattle plays the Giants this season?  Oh, dear Lord.... you need to start praying RIGHT NOW that Pete Carroll and your GM put Sheldon Richardson into Witness Protection the second Seattle's last game pre-Giants ends.  Don't even let Richardson talk to the media after THAT (pre-Giants) game and don't let a microphone or camera near him until several days after the Giants game ends.  (Runs and checks Seattle's schedule for specifics.)  Christ.... that the Seahawks play the Giants after their bye week makes it even worse: it's twice as much time for Sheldon Richardson to shoot off his mouth and say something really stupid that his teammates will end up paying for.  It's going to be two weeks of Richardson whining about Brandon Marshall if given even the ghost of a chance.

As for Brandon Marshall, Marshall is capable of holding his tongue and playing nice with his teammates.  But history has shown that lasts only so long as things are going swimmingly.  He needs his touches, and I don't doubt that he'll get his -- even if OBJ is the first option and the second option in that offense, the Giants can't run the football which means Eli Manning is going to throw 40 passes a game.  That's enough to go around for OBJ and Marshall and probably even Sterling Shepard and Evan Engram on top of that.  Especially if Eli simply has to put balls up for grabs at various points when fourteen blitzers are on top of him as soon as he says "hike!" -- he'll go to Marshall and OBJ first because they can win 50/50 balls.

It's simply a matter of waiting for the Giants to lose games.  Then everybody gets miserable.

Lol, could go either way I guess.  Sherm, *ugh* Bennett, and Richardson could spend those two weeks getting OBJ and Richardson so wound up that any 1 spark during the actual game could set them into a frenzy, then, who knows, maybe they play outta their minds, or maybe they implode.  It'll be interesting seeing those 5 together on the field.