National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

15 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

I'm very curious to see what the explanation (if they even give one) behind Lane's ejection is going to be.  Anyone who watched that game saw what I saw, they saw a starting defensive player being thrown out by one ref for (not) throwing a punch.  No conference, no making sure (which brings up a whole new topic of why something like that isn't reviewable), nothing.  Just a single ref making a snap decision that affected an entire team's defensive gameplan.  I'm willing to live with the no PI call when Graham was in the endzone, I'll even live with the phantom block in the back that took away 7 on the pick-6, I'm used to officiating being all over the board, the ejection, however, was straight bullshit.

Couldn't agree more...It's bad when the commentators are just as baffled...

1 hour ago, skidmarkgn said:

I'm very curious to see what the explanation (if they even give one) behind Lane's ejection is going to be.  Anyone who watched that game saw what I saw, they saw a starting defensive player being thrown out by one ref for (not) throwing a punch.  No conference, no making sure (which brings up a whole new topic of why something like that isn't reviewable), nothing.  Just a single ref making a snap decision that affected an entire team's defensive gameplan.  I'm willing to live with the no PI call when Graham was in the endzone, I'll even live with the phantom block in the back that took away 7 on the pick-6, I'm used to officiating being all over the board, the ejection, however, was straight bullshit.

gotta make sure the right team wins...

Edited by dmsleight

11 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

Deep breaths, Buddy. Inhale....exhale....inhale...exhale.

It's only Week One.

That's not how it works with the Bengals. If they suck they suck. It doesn't change. Its been like this since Marvin Lewis was hired. I bet the Bengals win 4 or 5 games this year if not less. Its time to rebuild. Their window is closed. 

Man that Chargers @Broncos game was a great way to end round 1.

get ready for Texans @Bengals to start week 2 Thursday ?

so LA wanted football back and they still don't turn up https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/look-stadium-is-half-empty-for-colts-rams-regular-season-opener-in-los-angeles/

Edited by Jare

1 hour ago, Jare said:

They've been not coming to games since about week 4 of last year, right when the Rams remembered they were the Rams and started sucking again after their hot start.   It was just as bad, if not worse when they were in St. Louis, which is a total baseball town, too.  None the less though, it still looks pretty bad when you move 2 teams to a town where the fan support is that bad.

Edited by skidmarkgn

On 9/11/2017 at 1:36 AM, Kubanga said:

Jesus Christ, the Bengals might legit be the WORST team in the NFL!!!

I don't mean to pee in your Corn Flakes, but the Jets haven't been demoted to the Big Ten alongside Rutgers just yet.  That's not to say that the Bengals are a good team, but the Jets are total laughingstocks and they're still in the NFL.  (For now.)

And yeah, the Bengals were brutal on Sunday, but they played what many people -- but not me -- consider to be a pretty good team.  The Jets got beaten up by another team that hopped the first available train to Tanksville (even if Buffalo got started on the process a lot more recently on the calendar than did Gang Green), no matter what the score makes you think of that game.  The Colts were a catastrophe on Sunday.  And Houston wasn't much better.

16 hours ago, Kubanga said:

That's not how it works with the Bengals. If they suck they suck. It doesn't change. Its been like this since Marvin Lewis was hired. I bet the Bengals win 4 or 5 games this year if not less. Its time to rebuild. Their window is closed. 

I understand the frustrations of stagnation but you have to give Lewis some props.  Before him, the team hadn't had a winning record in 15 years and half of those years included seasons with five wins or less. There were reasons why the Bengals were able to get those high draft picks and bungle them (Akili Smith, Kijana Carter, Dan Wilkenson). Lewis might be near the end of his Cincy career due to complacency, but he's still a good coach and much better than his predecessors, Bruce Coslett and David Shula. 

58 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

he's still a good coach and much better than his predecessors, Bruce Coslett and David Shula. 

Take it from a guy who still remembers Bruce Coslet in New York:  a trained monkey could probably do at least as good a job as Coslet.

It was a very proud moment in many Jets' fans lives -- not just my own -- when Bruce Coslet was abruptly fired.  Coslet had been asked the previous day about possibly bringing in an Offensive Coordinator and giving up some of control over that side of the ball -- such as playcalling -- and his smarmy response was to wave a piece of paper and say something along the lines of "I have control over that, I have a contract."  Hess fired him less than 24 hours later.

Of course, Coslet was followed by Pete Carroll, who was undone when the Jets went from 6-5 and being about to move into 1st place in the AFC East before the infamous Dan Marino Fake Spike game sent Gang Green on a tailspin to 6-10.  Then Carroll was fired and Leon Hess hired Rich Kotite (just fired by Philadelphia after losing his last 7 games of the year following a 7-2 start) and made infamous statements along the lines of "I'm 80, and I want to win a Super Bowl" only for Kotite to win 4 games in two years.

From the outside, I don't believe Marvin Lewis is a wonderful coach.  But he's loads better than either the comparisons I quoted above or most of New York Jets history.  Not that either is a very high standard.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2017 at 3:34 PM, PerryToxteth said:

I understand the frustrations of stagnation but you have to give Lewis some props.  Before him, the team hadn't had a winning record in 15 years and half of those years included seasons with five wins or less. There were reasons why the Bengals were able to get those high draft picks and bungle them (Akili Smith, Kijana Carter, Dan Wilkenson). Lewis might be near the end of his Cincy career due to complacency, but he's still a good coach and much better than his predecessors, Bruce Coslett and David Shula. 

I do give him credit, but its time to go in a different direction. The Bengals had the most TALENTED team in the LEAUGE in 2015 and what happens? Meltdown. That season alone shows his incompetentce. That doesn't even count the other years where the shit just hits the fan and they suck dick. They fell off a cliff in 2008, 2010 after sweeping the division in 2009 and my favorite last year. I doubt Marvin would be as big of a problem if penny pinching mike brown wasn't the owner but alas here we are.

Bad coaching staff with a roster that lost 2 of the best offensive linemen in the league this year and lost 2 top receivers last year. In fact I bet they're WORSE next year cause ill bet 50 bucks that they let Tyler eifert walk for jack shit. Its how the Bengals work. If they have 2 great players heading to free agency they normally only sign one of them back. Like them signing Dunlap and letting Michael Johnson walk.

The way he constructs the roster is TRASH. he keeps trash like Russell Bodine and Cedric Ogubumhei on the roster but lets players like Marvin Jones and Andrew Whitworth walk. I mean Jesus you know how long it took the Bengals to cut Rey Maualuga and Robert Geathers when they were getting paid obscene amounts of money to do nothing? All I can say is 15 fucking years with no playoff win with some of the best rosters in the NFL.

He can be a coach somewhere else but it simply can't be in Cincy anymore. They Should have fired him after last year but knowing Mike Brown I'm fucking shocked he didn't give him a 2 year extension. God forbid if he gets a extension after this year..... He doesn't even draft decent anymore. 2011 was great for the most part they got 3 starters. 2012 was okay they got 4 starters but then of course let 3 of them walk and they drafted busts like Devon Still and Brandon Thompson, 2013 was okay they got Eifert and Gio Bernard but they could have drafted Le'veon Bell. 2014 was trash. Drafted Darqueze Denard who really hasn't even played yet, Jeremy hill who cost the Bengals a playoff win and scrub ass can't snap a football Bodine. Great draft that was. 2015 was also trash. Drafted Cedric Ogubumhei and Jake Fisher lmao they somehow drafted 2 of the worst offensive linemen in the same draft. Fucking incredible. Like I said its time for him to get out. 

Edited by Kubanga
  • Like 1

My Week 2 NFL Season 2017-18 Tips

Bengals over Texans

Ravens over Browns

Panthers over Bills

Cardinals over Colts

Titans over Jags

Chiefs over Eagles

Patriots over Saints

Steelers over Vikings

Bucs over Bears

Chargers over Dolphins

Raiders over Jets

Cowboys over Broncos

Rams over Redskins

Seahawks over 49ers

Falcons over Packers

Giants over Lions

6 hours ago, Kubanga said:

I do give him credit, but its time to go in a different direction. The Bengals had the most TALENTED team in the LEAUGE in 2015 and what happens? Meltdown.

I thought my memory was deceiving me when I thought I had seen a recent Bengal playoff victory. And yep, I was right, I did watch the Bengals win in 2015. But then Vontaze Burifect happened.  And Pacman Jones just couldn't stand ceding the title of "Biggest Knucklehead in the NFL" to his teammate, so he tried to one-up him, but failed. Those two plays probably derailed the current Bengals and Lewis' coaching career in Cincy.

Back to Burifect, that was the single-most dumb-ass/savage/bone-headed/vicious play I have ever watched in 30+ years of the NFL. Far worse than the Packer who body-slammed Jim McMahon, and that guy was immediately railroaded out of the league.  How Burifect still has a job goes to show how much the league (and owners) care about player safety and their long-term health. 

2 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

How Burifect still has a job goes to show how much the league (and owners) care about player safety and their long-term health. 

Look at the donnybrook that the domestic violence suspensions turn into and how the Players fight those tooth-and-nail.  The League is in court now over Ezekiel Elliott, the same way that they were in court a few years ago over Tom Brady and whether or not he deflated footballs.  If you think those are bad, think about how hard the NFLPA would fight if the League attempted to ban Burfict entirely or hit him with serious sanctions such as a one-year suspension.

The League isn't the good guy here, but it's immensely unfair to slather them with all the blame and guilt and let the Players off scot-free.  I understand that one of the NFLPA's jobs is to fight for Burfict and to try and get those suspensions reduced and/or overturned, but I haven't heard very many (individual) players speaking up that they have little tolerance for his violence and condemning it.

As for the Owners, don't lump them all in with the knucklehead in Cincinnati who keeps signing off on giving Burfict more money.  If he were cut today, I suspect the market for Burfict's services would be a lot smaller than you seem to think it would be.  Yes, he'd probably get a job and a decent paycheck, but I bet there are a number of teams that would treat him as a leper and pariah.

• Like 1

What are people's thoughts on players holding out for more money? I absolutely despise it personally. You signed a contract, get your ass on the field. 

Theres a lot of people in Houston that are crying to throw money at Duane Brown because of the dumpster fire our O line turned out to be last week. We've got other people who are adamant the man shouldn't get a penny because he signed a contract (that was very good at the time he signed it.) Combine that with the fact he hasn't played a full 16 games in 3 years and he's getting older. 

I just wish there was more teams could do to combat this practice. I know they can fine the players each day they join show but he's still sitting there, taking up a roster spot and cap room. I'd kind of like a system where you could denote a player as a holdout, then they don't play the whole season no matter what, get 10% of their contract salary, and that difference is available in salary cap. 

Granted, our O line issues aren't going to be solved by having one glass leg veteran out there but him holding out certainly isn't helping. 

6 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

I thought my memory was deceiving me when I thought I had seen a recent Bengal playoff victory. And yep, I was right, I did watch the Bengals win in 2015. But then Vontaze Burifect happened.  And Pacman Jones just couldn't stand ceding the title of "Biggest Knucklehead in the NFL" to his teammate, so he tried to one-up him, but failed. Those two plays probably derailed the current Bengals and Lewis' coaching career in Cincy.

Back to Burifect, that was the single-most dumb-ass/savage/bone-headed/vicious play I have ever watched in 30+ years of the NFL. Far worse than the Packer who body-slammed Jim McMahon, and that guy was immediately railroaded out of the league.  How Burifect still has a job goes to show how much the league (and owners) care about player safety and their long-term health. 

I agree with Adam Jones. That dude is a douchebag but i like burfict. He has done some dirty stuff but he is the heart and soul of that defense. He reminds me a lot of ray lewis tbh. Plus he can be dirty all he wants against the Squeelers. Fuck them. They play dirty against the bengals every year and no one bats a eye. Hell just last week that ugly bald fuck Ryan Shazier was headhunting for Deshone Kizer and no one cares. Why? Cause theyre the steelers its just "football" when they do it. Could you imagine if burfict did the same thing? Holy shit everyone would have flipped the fuck out. 

1 hour ago, Hemiak said:

What are people's thoughts on players holding out for more money? I absolutely despise it personally. You signed a contract, get your ass on the field. 

Ordinarily?  I despise the practice for the exact reason you've cited.  But the NFL is a bird of a different feather.  For the most part, those contracts are not guaranteed, and Ownership/Management can frequently cut bait at most times for almost any reason they so desire.

If Ownership/Management can get out of those contracts pretty much whenever they'd like, Players are entitled to similar latitude.  So if a Player wants to hold out, I'm not as aggrieved by it as I would be for athletes in most other sports.

That being said, the solution is NOT to guarantee all NFL contracts.  Because we've seen it happen quite a bit in those other sports where a guy signs a fat contract and promptly gets fat and lazy and does nothing of value for the next several years.  Or where the guy tries really hard in his "contract year" and inflates his numbers and cons somebody into giving him way far more money than he merits.

And those NFL contracts are guaranteed against injury, anyhow.  Which is fair, because they should be.... but I'm okay with NFL contracts not being guaranteed against "diminished skill" because that's how the "Real World" works -- i.e., in most professions your boss can terminate your employment if you suck at your job, too.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kubanga said:

Lmao this game is the WORST football game I've ever seen in my entire life. Fucking terrible. 

I turned on the Indians game instead and I don't even like baseball. How the Bengals cannot score a touchdown in almost 7 full quarters with A.J Green, Tyler Eifert, and Andy Dalton is something I may never understand. Embarrassing. 

1 hour ago, Lithium_Lemon said:

I turned on the Indians game instead and I don't even like baseball. How the Bengals cannot score a touchdown in almost 7 full quarters with A.J Green, Tyler Eifert, and Andy Dalton is something I may never understand. Embarrassing. 

Yep embarrassing. Hey on the bright side they'll go 2-14 and give Marvin Lewis a contract extension. Something to look forward too. Also don't forget about Gio Bernard, Jeremy Hill, John Ross and Joe Mixon. 

Edited by Kubanga