National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

3 hours ago, dmsleight said:

ughh. Seattle's offense is giving me indigestion.  If you can't play against the 49ers....

O line continues to look like they just walked on the team before the game.

The red-zone ineptitude is what's driving me crazy.  Honestly, they should have dumped Graham when they could have got something for him.  Wouldn't bug me at all if they seriously thought about trying to fish a defensive player (anyone but Earl or Wagner) to see if they can get anyone to bite and give up some O-line talent.  Houston, L.A. (Rams) twice and a couple of other teams with some serious pass rush still on the schedule... gonna be rough.

Damn Green Bay... game's way more difficult when you don't get that hometown officiating ;)

Edited by skidmarkgn

14 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

The red-zone ineptitude is what's driving me crazy.  Honestly, they should have dumped Graham when they could have got something for him.  Wouldn't bug me at all if they seriously thought about trying to fish a defensive player (anyone but Earl or Wagner) to see if they can get anyone to bite and give up some O-line talent.  Houston, L.A. (Rams) twice and a couple of other teams with some serious pass rush still on the schedule... gonna be rough.

Damn Green Bay... game's way more difficult when you don't get that hometown officiating ;)

Getting Graham on this team was a big mistake, in many, many ways.

Panthers rolled through sf last week and atlanta had no trouble with greenbay.  Seattle's offense looks inept.

My Week 3 2017-18 NFL Tips

Rams over 49ers

Ravens over Jags

Falcons over Lions

Broncos over Bills 

Steelers over Bears

Colts over Browns

Dolphins over Jets

Bucs over Vikings 

Patriots over Texans

Panthers over Saints 

Eagles over Giants

Titans over Seahawks 

Chiefs over Chargers

Packers over Bengals

Raiders over Redskins

Cowboys over Cardinals 

On 9/21/2017 at 8:16 AM, dmsleight said:

Falcons are looking good this year.  No SB hangover this year?  With that win over GB, I'd be surprised if they don't win their division (at this point anyway).

No way man, haven't you heard?  The Rams are the best team in football this year!!  Goff is a lock for MVP and their offense is better than GB, Atlanta and New England combined.  This year the NFC playoffs are just a formality before they take it all!!!!!!  

At least, that's what I keep hearing after last night.  I'll admit, my eyebrows are definitely raised by what the Rams are doing but until I see them put up a better than 8-8 record I'm not quite on the "repeat of the greatest show on turf" bandwagon.  Last year they had a 3-1 start and were looking like the division was theirs for the taking, 4-12 later...

Outta curiosity, is there anyone out there who was watching the Houston/New England game (and pulling for a Texans upset) not screaming "GO FOR IT!!!" when they had the ball on 4th and 1?  I switched it before it was officially over and currently have no idea if Houston got in field goal range but, if they lose, it's tough not to think about what would have happened had they just not played it safe.

Edited by skidmarkgn

3 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Outta curiosity, is there anyone out there who was watching the Houston/New England game (and pulling for a Texans upset) not screaming "GO FOR IT!!!" when they had the ball on 4th and 1?  I switched it before it was officially over and currently have no idea if Houston got in field goal range but, if they lose, it's tough not to think about what would have happened had they just not played it safe.

They lost, they should have gone for it. 

My pain meds knocked me out for a majority of the Pats/Texans game. Woke up with about 5 minutes left. Texans should have just tried to tie it up.

Was surprised to see the Jaguars destroy the Ravens in score. Yahoo streamed it live which I wasn't aware of I caught the last few minutes.

Green Bay doesn't seem to be doing well.

If missing the playoffs because of these types of losses (offense accomplishing nothing and putting the defense out on the field for 80% of the game causing them to completely wilt in the 2nd half) over and over is what it takes to wake up Pete and John and force them to quit trying to address the O-line issue by drafting guys who aren't ready and converting guys who were defensive players and go ACTUALLY TRY AND GET A COMPETENT LEFT GUARD by letting some draft picks and/or one of their coveted defensive players go, then so be it. 

Their method isn't working, Tom Cable isn't the O-line whisperer that they seem to think he is and it's time to try anything else.

also, New York (jets), what are you guys doing!?  This 3 week, stretch are key games on the schedule, if you guys go out and win one of the next two then the #1 pick just may slip away.

Lmao the bengals just blew a 21-7 halftime lead. I guess they finally scored a td though. That's something. You know what I like though? The Bengals kept Randy Bullock the scrub who missed a fg today while Jake Elliot the kicker they released kicked a 61 yd game winning field goal. Great talent evaluation Marvin. You're a fucking idiot.

1-2 after week 3, with the two losses being @ Green Bay and @ Tennessee, tough games for any team.  And while the sky isn't falling for Seattle (I still expect a 10-11 win season when it's all said and done)... the window is closing.  The next couple of years is going to see several high profile players, especially on the defense, hang 'em up and/or find other teams and it's tough to see it all being wasted because for some reason Pete and John just don't F'n get it when it comes to the O-line.  After seeing it year after year it just seems like eventually they'd stop getting Grahams and Harvins and try to get a Staley or Thomas to actually try and solve the freakin' problem.  I know even average O-lineman are at a premium right now but there's no way Seattle couldn't have pulled something off if they were willing.  Hell, trade Sherman, the dude's become bigger than the team in his own head anyways.

3 hours ago, Jare said:

Picking this round has been hell.

And how about this The Jets have a better record then the Giants xD 

Yeah, my picks were awful this week.  And I would have been knocked out of my Survivor pool had Aaron Rodgers not pulled off some of that Aaron Rodgers magic.

As for the Jets?  Yeah.... that game wasn't anywhere near as close as that final score makes you think.  I actually texted a friend of mine the following question after the 1:00 games concluded -- and I missed the end of the Philly/NYG game because after the punt and the first incompletion I was convinced that it was headed to OT and went to raid the fridge -- "Which of the following happens first?  The Devils win a (regular season) game, the Yankees win a playoff game, or the Giants win a game."

My friend said he'd have to think about it for a while and get back to me.  For the record, the Yankees will probably play in a Wild Card game the middle of next week, and the Devils don't open the regular season until Saturday 6 October.

Needless to say, my friends and co-workers who are Giants fans are very unhappy right now with their team.

1 hour ago, skidmarkgn said:

also, New York (jets), what are you guys doing!?  This 3 week, stretch are key games on the schedule, if you guys go out and win one of the next two then the #1 pick just may slip away.

I'm going to borrow/paraphrase a quite from former Israeli Deputy Prime Minister (among many other things) Abba Eban here, although Eban used it to refer to the Palestinians and the never-ending Middle East Peace Process and I'm going to use it to refer to the Jets and the chances to help their rebuild by going 0-16/1-15:  They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

Beating the Dolphins isn't an enormous deal.  Beating the Browns in two weeks will be very harmful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skidmarkgn said:

1-2 after week 3, with the two losses being @ Green Bay and @ Tennessee, tough games for any team.  And while the sky isn't falling for Seattle (I still expect a 10-11 win season when it's all said and done)... the window is closing.  The next couple of years is going to see several high profile players, especially on the defense, hang 'em up and/or find other teams and it's tough to see it all being wasted because for some reason Pete and John just don't F'n get it when it comes to the O-line.  After seeing it year after year it just seems like eventually they'd stop getting Grahams and Harvins and try to get a Staley or Thomas to actually try and solve the freakin' problem.  I know even average O-lineman are at a premium right now but there's no way Seattle couldn't have pulled something off if they were willing.  Hell, trade Sherman, the dude's become bigger than the team in his own head anyways.

Maybe should have spent more picks on OL than special teams/practice squad depth?  Of course, they need talent, not just bodies.

27 minutes ago, acasser said:

Yeah, my picks were awful this week.  And I would have been knocked out of my Survivor pool had Aaron Rodgers not pulled off some of that Aaron Rodgers magic.

Yep.  I was in the same boat.

3 hours ago, dmsleight said:

Maybe should have spent more picks on OL than special teams/practice squad depth?  Of course, they need talent, not just bodies.

I couldn't disagree more with the first statement (and the second part seems to indicate we're on the same page here).  They've spent quite a few picks on O-lineman over the past few years, and aside from Britt, who took 3 years to find a spot where he wasn't a revolving door, they've whiffed bad on all of 'em.  Either they put waaaaay too much stock in Cable's supposed ability to take anyone and turn them into a serviceable O-lineman, especially in today's game where practices are so limited that it's basically impossible to get a guy ready for NFL caliber defensive lineman in one offseason, or they're just terrible at evaluating O-line talent... or both.  Not to mention the transition from college to the NFL is night and day.  They need someone, or someones who are capable right now.  Again, I know that finding someone who can competently cover Wilson's blind side is tough to find but if Seattle fished out Sherman and, say, a second rounder there's no way they wouldn't get some bites.  

9 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

I couldn't disagree more with the first statement (and the second part seems to indicate we're on the same page here).  They've spent quite a few picks on O-lineman over the past few years, and aside from Britt, who took 3 years to find a spot where he wasn't a revolving door, they've whiffed bad on all of 'em.  Either they put waaaaay too much stock in Cable's supposed ability to take anyone and turn them into a serviceable O-lineman, especially in today's game where practices are so limited that it's basically impossible to get a guy ready for NFL caliber defensive lineman in one offseason, or they're just terrible at evaluating O-line talent... or both.  Not to mention the transition from college to the NFL is night and day.  They need someone, or someones who are capable right now.  Again, I know that finding someone who can competently cover Wilson's blind side is tough to find but if Seattle fished out Sherman and, say, a second rounder there's no way they wouldn't get some bites.  

If they draft guys they can be developed, instead of renting players.  But that goes back to  my talent comment.  They need guys now and draft and develop.

They could also have some wisdom about what they actually have and form a gameplan to make the most of what they have (don't have really) instead of pandering to Carroll's baby, the defense.  Slowing down the O and taking their time "helps out" the defense, but not if you can't get first downs.  The team can charge down the field in hurry up!  They do it almost every time (though they seem to get cold feet in the redzone).  Carroll, get your paws of the O and stick with what you know.