Why Are Games So Addicting?

Crespelio-X12

I would like to know why some games are so addicting and others are not, the reason we play them? Is it because we prefer some type of games over others for example sometimes I can't stand a game and play for 5 minutes and some I play 10 hours straight.

Another side question what is the game/series that make you play non-stop not to even go to the bathroom? Mine would be WWE 2K15.

Please post your opinions below.

How well a game keys in to your sense of satisfaction from obtaining rewards for a commensurate amount of struggle tells you how addicting it will be. That's why Ubisoft games are the bane of my existence, because I just have to clear all those fucking icons off the map and unlock more shit.

Games are so addicting for the reasons the devil states in this video. South Park isn't all laughs; sometimes they get stuff right.

Dammit, I wanted to be the smartass and say it was because people repeat the stuff that releases "pleasure chemicals" (like dopamine and serotonine) in their brain

Depends what the game has you do.  MMORPGs are maybe the most addictive because of the grindy nature of them and the reward you get out of it and the fact they never really end; like JRPGs or anything with a slight grind in it, don't even think of playing a MMORPG as you will be at it for quite a long time.. sometimes, until they stop supporting the game's servers.

I wouldn't say I get addicted, since addiction kind of a strong word; but any games I find hard to put down and move onto other games, it's usually MMORPGs, been playing them for over a decade now.

Edited by DEMON

People by nature love a challenge, so we search out and continue to push ourselves through things such as games to as stated above, get that good feeling of accomplishment. But not everything challenges us the same way, some find the solving of a puzzle exciting while other's pulling off a trick shot is their high. 

I think it really depends on the person. My little brother will only play call of duty online. He won't touch the campaign. He doesn't trophy hunt. He is very picky to which games he plays. Myself on the other hand will play absolutely everything and if the story is good then I will sit there and play for 4 or 5 hours and think nothing of it. I also am very big into trophy hunting which has helped me expand what games I will play. But as far as your last question, the Demon's Souls/Dark Souls series will have me playing for hours non stop. I picked up Dark Souls II launch day and I remember taking it home, started to play it, looked at the clock and was like "oh, it's only 5:30PM, I can play this a little bit longer before I need to go to sleep." Didn't get up to eat, use the bathroom or anything, next time I looked at the clock it was 2:30AM.

So far I consider myself not a addict on games! Gaming is my best way to kill time although it consume too much of my time if I'm vacant", Speaking of game/s, Tekken, the one who took my precious time for so long", This maybe the routine before, House->School->Tekken at mall(Vice Versa) hehe",

Girls? it's hard them to understand?!lol

• 4 months later...

Because a game allows you to take a direct role in a story. From the safety of your room or living room, you can be who you want and do what you want, with little consequences. How is that not addictive?

I could list a few. Sims is my big one. I always make goals and I want to meet those goals before I turn it off for the day.

• Like 1

I'd say because it's fun and challenging. 

For me at least - it's also because I find video games far more interesting and enjoyable than the boring reality we live in.

A good game can also be a great distraction from the bad things we don't want to think about.

• Like 1