How to get a girlfriend, easily.

Satoshi Ookami

Waifu... loli... otome... ending names with -san, -chan and -senpai.

I really hope a number of people posting in this topic actually live in Japan, or are of some kind of Japanese ancestry.  There's way too much of *that* going on otherwise, in this observers humble opinion.

Even if it seems odd. A bunch of these guys manage to share a common bond and build friendships through their mutual use of the terms, which is only a good thing. No one is going to change and you know the answer to your own question.

You're also confusing terms that are almost part of english internet language words like moe and tsudere etc. seem to be the simplest way to describe such things. Terms like Waifu bug me a lot more as it seems to be mocking the japanese language as there's no reason to not use the wife in that sense. Its not like i'd be super confused that the person wasn't serious, but at the same time it sounds like people mocking japanese people and I very much dislike it. Just like if I put on an accent to mock anyone else.

• Like 1

You're also confusing terms that are almost part of english internet language words like moe and tsudere etc. seem to be the simplest way to describe such things. Terms like Waifu bug me a lot more as it seems to be mocking the japanese language as there's no reason to not use the wife in that sense. Its not like i'd be super confused that the person wasn't serious, but at the same time it sounds like people mocking japanese people and I very much dislike it. Just like if I put on an accent to mock anyone else.

Waifu/hasubando are official terms for describing the relationship.

Though, you are right about mocking, but that comes from terms like "laifu". 

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

Waifu/hasubando are official terms for describing the relationship.

Though, you are right about mocking, but that comes from terms like "laifu". 

Waifu is the japanese pronounciation of an english word, hence to me that is mockery of an accent just like if I started pronouncing hello in a japanese fashion. Googling the terms i mentioned there is no simple way of describing those words, you will get wikipedia pages with in depth articles. Google waifu you get urban dictionary, know your meme and encyclopedia dramatica. Its not an official term and if you used those types of pronouciations face to face with someone you didn't know you'd offend them.

• Like 2

Waifu is the japanese pronounciation of an english word, hence to me that is mockery of an accent just like if I started pronouncing hello in a japanese fashion. Googling the terms i mentioned there is no simple way of describing those words, you will get wikipedia pages with in depth articles. Google waifu you get urban dictionary, know your meme and encyclopedia dramatica. Its not an official term and if you used those types of pronouciations face to face with someone you didn't know you'd offend them.

While it is the pronunciation, it actually comes from mai waifu which started something we call waifuism. Both "mai waifu" and waifuism were the base for the actual term "waifu".

Check this.

http://www.japanpowered.com/otaku-culture/what-waifu-means

Also, to get deeper into history, it obviously started in anime. To be exact, in Azumanga Daioh back in 2002.

It is definitely not something that would disgrace Japan, Japanese or anything. Otaku would definitely know what you mean.

Obviously, more common way for Japanese otaku is to call their waifu yome (from oyome, which means bride), but since it is (contrary to "waifu") pretty much Japan only, use of this is almost non-existent, thus, one needs to use "waifu".

Oh Jesus, I just made a wall of text on waifuism o.O

For those interested here is a link that explains all of the proper terms for your wife, aswell as someone else's wife.

http://www.worldofjapan.net/2011/04/okusan-kanai-otto-shujin-husband-and-wife/

That is an explanation of the terms used in keigo.

We are talking about otaku-way.

Also, it's missing tsuma.

Oh Jesus, I just made a wall of text on waifuism o.O

I said face to face Otaku's don't meet face to face :awesome:

Besides its still not general use. In the context I said it certainly would cause offence. Internet culture is not the same as face to face talking and most people don't say the types of things they say online face to face.

Edited by Superbuu3

Terms like Waifu bug me a lot more as it seems to be mocking the japanese language as there's no reason to not use the wife in that sense. Its not like i'd be super confused that the person wasn't serious, but at the same time it sounds like people mocking japanese people and I very much dislike it. Just like if I put on an accent to mock anyone else.

I never meant to mock the japanese, i hope Superbuu-senpai will forgive me.  :giggle:

But while we're on that topic, i think that waifu and wife don't mean the same thing. For me, waifu is a slang word that is only used for fictional characters, whether it's from anime, vocaloid or a game. A wife is the real person, a waifu is a cute girl in an anime.

I don't think people ever intend to mock the japanese with any slang, usually people seem to love the japanese on the internet. But the thing that would probably come closest when it comes to insulting is the word weeaboo, which is ironically used mainly by us westerns (and targeted at westerns) to insult people who think they know japanese by watching anime.

An English speaking person trying to learn Japanese by watching Anime would be the same as a Japanese speaking person trying to learn English by watching Mickey Mouse.

I started learning english by playing games, but if i learned a little bit of japanese by watching anime i'm instantly called a weeaboo, what's the difference? Lol. 

• Like 1

An English speaking person trying to learn Japanese by watching Anime would be the same as a Japanese speaking person trying to learn English by watching Mickey Mouse.

As opposed to all the English-speaking children who learn English (in part) by watching Mickey Mouse and other cartoons?

Let me put it this way, I would not refer to my wife as a waifu.

Dude... why are... you... you know... trying to avoid the main topic?

We are NOT talking about wife in terms of tsuma/okusan/kanai, we are talking about waifus == 2D characters. ;)

But while we're on that topic, i think that waifu and wife don't mean the same thing. For me, waifu is a slang word that is only used for fictional characters, whether it's from anime, vocaloid or a game. A wife is the real person, a waifu is a cute girl in an anime.

Yahoo, someone understood the topic =D

Not really. Anime contains commonly used words (I don't say grammar, I say words, okay?) while afaik Mickey Mouse is using specific slang.

I said face to face Otaku's don't meet face to face :awesome:

They do, how else would they exchange doujins? :awesome:

most people don't say the types of things they say online face to face.

Really? :awesome:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Nope.  Don't wanna date a virtual 12 year old with giant chest.

Point, the chest part is very disturbing.

The trophy pictures are really cute (^◇^). Too bad most Japanese games are currently beyond my current level. Gives me some incentive though. And the plat pic! All 8 girls. That when you know it may turn into a school days lols

It should be fully voiced and from what I've seen, the Japanese is pretty elementary here =D