Comics or manga?

Zenpai

46 members have voted

1. 1. Comics or manga?

• Comics
    • Manga
    • Other kind of comic book (French, Italian, South American...)
    • I like them both/all equally
    • I'm good with regular books
    • I don't really read much

I always loved comic books (in the broader sense). I actually love them so much to the point I rarely ever read "regular" fiction novels.

I even remember the very first day I read one. I was three, I was in a hotel room with my mother, and I started reading the Disney comic she'd just bought me - an Uncle Scrooge adventure called The Flying Dutchman. I know it was my first because I clearly remember treating both pages as if they were one and not understanding the story until my mother told me I should first read the entire first page before moving on to the second xD

Ever since then, I have read all kinds of comic books: Brazilian (A turma da Mônica), Italian (Disney comics), Argentinian (Mafalda), French/Belgian (Astérix, Tintin, Lucky Luke), American comic strips (Calvin & Hobbes, Zits)... I only got into manga at age 11 when I read the Portuguese edition of Dragon Ball. American Graphic Novels (Ultimate Marvel, namely Ultimate Spider-Man) were the last genre I got into.

The question I wanted to ask you all today is: which is your favorite kind of comic book? American comics? Manga? Comic strips? Some other, such as French comics? (I realize I'm lumping all comics from other countries in a single answer on the poll, but there are way too many countries and American comics and manga are by far the more popular kinds of comic books - comic strips are also a very popular and very particular kind of comic book).

To me, it's a difficult question to answer because I just really like comics books, independently of where they come from. They kind of all have their advantages and disadvantages.

Manga may win with me by a very, very slight edge. I love that there's all kinds of stories to be enjoyed, many are extremely engrossing, and the fact that they almost always have the same writer and artist beginning to end (and they frequently are one and the same!) gives it a very creator-owned feel - like the manga lives as long as the author feels like writing it - or is pressured into writing it, as so often happens (though it can also die very quickly if it's not popular enough).

Still, it has some disadvantages on the technical side - manga is produced on the cheap, frequently with very tight schedules and almost always in monochrome. The paper in the collected editions is also very cheap and easily yellows. The fact that many are produced weekly can be a double-edged sword - you get more story, but sometimes this affects the author's ability to properly mull it over - though some mangaka do function extremely well under pressure and the story can sometimes even benefit from it. The weekly serialization can also take a serious toll on your shelf space  :S

The art quality can vary a lot depending on the artist. Some manga have a simpler style, some are more artsy and different, but most are beautifully drawn, with dynamic and eye-popping artwork. Though the art does suffer from almost always being in monochrome.

American comics can also also have extremely interesting stories. To me, they shine the most in their art and technical aspects: the artwork is almost always extremely detailed, the colors are vibrant and the paper quality is top-notch. They do suffer from lack of variety, though. While there are all kinds of graphic novels, the American market is flooded to the brim with the super-hero genre. The same characters from 30, 40, 50 years ago are constantly being used, reused, recycled and rebooted by a variety of different writers and artists, which obviously results in a decrease in coherence and general storytelling quality.

Comic strips are a bit of their own thing. They're cheap, but they're kind of overtly cheap. They're mostly used for comedy but are sometimes used for more serious effect. Like most manga, they also generally live and die with their creator(s). They're also a bit different in that they're the more international of the group. Comic strips can come from anywhere in the world. The art is generally a lot more simple than both comics and manga.

French/Belgian comics also have quite a bit of variety in their stories. They are produced at a much slower rate and don't rely too much on the same heroes/characters. They also generally have the same authors and artists, though this can occasionally change. The books' print size is pretty big and they're all printed in color in very nice paper, generally in hardcover. The art styles can vary wildly, though they tend to be simpler and more "round". A lot of them are also very "artsy".

Well, I guess that's enough out of me. I picked manga by a very slight margin but I think all comic books have their own, unique charm. Actually, my ideal comic book would be something like this bad boy...

4DEDb5W.jpg?1       704VaWx.jpg

The story quality of a manga, the technical quality of an American comic and the size of a French comic. Give me more of these and I can die happy (more coming May 2016!!!).

So, what about you guys? What's your favorite kind of comic book?

Edited by jrdemr

Well it's in the poll so I guess it's not spam to talk about it lol.

I chose regular books. To answer the OP's question though from what I've seen I would have chosen Manga over Comics at one point. 

I was never into comics. Many of the people I knew read comics, mainly Marvel/DC, but I could never get into them. To be honest I don't like the art styles used either. There are a few I want to try but I just don't have the desire to focus any of my time on them.

I used to be into manga. I've read shounen and seinen and honestly my like for manga is gone. I don't remember how many series I've read, and attempted to get into, but as it stands I just get sick to death of most MC's and it ruins the entire series for me. As it is I prefer anime (NOT FILLERS) to the manga nowadays. 

Any reason I give to liking books more is just going to sound bad so I'll just say that for myself, books are the best option.

I've read comics far longer than I've read mango, but I honestly wouldn't pick one over the other. Same goes for comic strips. They both have their pros and cons, but what makes either good is not whether they're one or the other, but who is working on them. Sandman's great because Gaiman's an amazing writer and he's had the joy of having a crapton of talented people draw his stories. Berserk and Monster are incredible because of Kentaro Miura and Naoki Urasawa respectively. Those works aren't inherentely good because they're comics/mangos but because of those involved in their creation.

It's the same way a movie, TV show or animu is shaped by its director (and to a lesser degree the screenwriter, among others): it's not good just because it is, but because of the people who worked on it and came up with what makes it good.

As a final note, I don't think Asterix, Tin Tin, etc. classify as something other than a "comic book" outside of, maybe, the release format.

Ah, to go back to 2005-2006, when manga first became truly mainstream (or close to it), and everyone was dissing the inferior baka gaijin comics in favor of the rich complex art and storytelling and the glorious nippon, so much that every wannabe manga artist would copy every stock chibi expression/story element/high school setting as if they were the gateway to instant complexity.

But to answer your question, both have elements I like and dislike. I often prefer the comic-style of storytelling and layout over the every other page is a splashpage that many manga succumb to, but I've also been a fan of the way many japanese artists can hit the sweet spot between realistic/cartoony with their characters. 

Edited by EctoCooler_87

Well, obviously manga, even though I'm seriously behind all series (with the exception of all 3 Mahouka manga =D) I read...

It's also been a while since I read something new... too busy with LN anime adaptations :awesome:

As for comics... that's pretty interesting... I wouldn't say I'm particularly interested in them but I quite enjoy their adaptations.

Either live action movies, their animated adaptations or obviously anime (I have seen all MARVEL anime adaptations but Blade, tehe~).

But I can't say I would read them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I prefer reading books in the first place, then comics and very close manga, but I would prefer watching tha anime because for me the music is very important. Just no super-heroes comics.

Anime complements the manga due to its addition of movement, acting and music, and I actually believe you've never had the full experience until you've both read the manga and watched the anime. Still, anime adaptations frequently change and/or add pointless stuff to the original, so generally, if I had to choose, I'd still choose the manga, which has the original author's vision - no more, no less. Though recently, anime adaptations have become a lot better, more closely following the original and adding (virtually) nothing else, so the difference in actual storytelling has become a lot more blurred.

Anime complements the manga due to its addition of movement, acting and music, and I actually believe you've never had the full experience until you've both read the manga and watched the anime. Still, anime adaptations frequently change and/or add pointless stuff to the original, so generally, if I had to choose, I'd still choose the manga, which has the original author's vision - no more, no less. Though recently, anime adaptations have become a lot better, more closely following the original and adding (virtually) nothing else, so the difference in actual storytelling has become a lot more blurred.

B-But, manga does not have HanaKana!

(Well it does, but that's only in my head :awesome:)