Ps Over Gaming Computer?

CrimsonFalzar

PC negatives

. You have to upgrade every now and then. 

. There's no unified store like PSN or XBL, sure there's Steam, but everyone else opens their own shitty store and make you use that as well.

. Since most games are digital only (or mostly) nowadays, there's no preowned market.

You do the same with consoles.  If you build a good PC, you are good for 5 years or more (which is also the average for consoles), and you never really have to build a whole new PC ever.  Sometimes you just have to upgrade your video card, just depends if you are a Nvidia fan (expensive) or Radeon fan (cheap).  Same with CPU, Intel = expensive, AMD = cheap.

You do the same with consoles.  If you build a good PC, you are good for 5 years or more (which is also the average for consoles), and you never really have to build a whole new PC ever.  Sometimes you just have to upgrade your video card, just depends if you are a Nvidia fan (expensive) or Radeon fan (cheap).  Same with CPU, Intel = expensive, AMD = cheap.

I know, I covered that. Buying a console gets you on average a good five years, buying a decent computer will more often than not, buy you even longer. 

I'm gonna ignore the fact that someone takes online as an advantage, you should not consider paying for online as a disadvantage.

It is a long feature for MS, but Sony only started with PS4. 

There are still many people who are going online on their PS3 without need to play online =)

(There are no people going online on Vita so let's omit that :awesome:)

It is a disadvantage, just because Xbox have done it for 13 years and PlayStation are still newcomers doesn't make either of them good. Maybe in the day Xbox could have justified it but now everyone and everything is online, unless they offer you a substantially better experience, which PSN and XBL don't really do, then they aren't worth any extra money.

When going into a debate about PC and consoles though, it's assumed you're only discussing the latest consoles, or at least, it usually is. Anyway, my point there is that the PS3 doing it for free doesn't mean anything as the PS3 is old hat. 

I'm fine with paying for stuff when the stuff I pay for is worth the money I pay. As you say, I could play on PS3 online all I want. I could go play GTA 5 on PS3 completely for free, so why should I pay to be able to play it online just because I'm on a PS4?

since i work on a computer all day, when i get home, id rather not sit down in front of my computer and play games

i no it might not be all that different, but using a controller makes it feel different

plus i just cant seem to get used to using the keyboard as an input device for games feels kinda weird compared to a dedicated controller

• Like 1

I have a laptop and desktop that are both more powerful than modern consoles. However I prefer the console community and as such prefer playing games on consoles. I only use the pc for modding games (PC) or work. I also find the PC to be a work device more than a gaming machine, which really it is. However I'm sure allot of people here use mame? Sometimes I need 70inch pacman followed by Gigawing, it does serve a gaming purpose.

Hi OP nice to meet ya

I was going to build a beast PC, had it all planned out too but instead I am going to get a PS4

graphics and mods are great but nothing beats being able to play the continuations of your favoririte series :)

There is hate on console which is why you are porbably confused but that is people complaining about graphics and not much else so don't worry.

I do see the pros of having a PC instead of a console...but I'll never want to play on a computer myself. Like everyone else said, a console is already set up and ready to go. Things are definitely going to work, it's already set up and you don't have to tinker with it for hours to make sure everything is perfect and works. Besides, I like controllers better and don't want to have to worry about what is compatible and all that.

And finally, I prefer laptops immensely more than a desktop. I can't keep a desktop on my bed and then take it with me when I go somewhere after all!

There is alot of misinformation and just plain bullshit in this thread.

No, PCs don't cost you 2037073434337 to run games and no, you don't need to upgrade every year with expensive parts. A decent gaming rig could last you as long as a console generation if not longer if you don't care about optimal settings. In the long run they're cheaper due to steam sales and such and are much more versatile as machines.

The only advantage consoles have are, IMO, exclusives and they're easier to set up on a big TV for couch gaming.

• Like 2

I played on PC for ages and it was my first platform. Despite having a powerful gaming PC in my home, I still find myself playing my consoles more. I never run into any problems when console gaming, but when it comes to PC gaming problems occur pretty consistently. Usually it's an easy fix, but still I just want to fire up a game and play without having problems. Which console gaming does just that for me. 

I've grown up using consoles. My main reason is simple: Gaming doesn't feel right unless I'm sacrificing TV time. I'd like a laptop with a better graphics card for what games I do play on it. I also like pausing a game for a little break and surfing the internet. Keeps me fresh to keep playing all day.

What a bizarre thread, also a fairly biased one in a console community.

PC has it's flaws for sure. It's frustrating to not have a "PSN" or "Xbox Live" and that every publisher and their grandmother is opening a digital storefront on PC making it really difficult to keep all your gaming "in one place" so to speak. It's also frustrating that a lot of games that should, don't have gamepad support out of the box on PC (like Mass Effect). It's also frustrating that if you aren't a fan of MMO's or RTS's, you're basically @$ed as far as exclusives are concerned.

Putting those three weighty points aside though, I've found going back to console after a few years on PC extremely difficult for a few distinct reasons.

1. As a fairly tech savvy person, the Playstation infuriates me. On my PC, I constantly monitor temperatures and framerates. I got my fan profile perfect to keep the PC cool while playing intensive games, but without the fans getting obnoxiously loud. On the Playstation, the fans are getting to outrageously loud levels and I'm completely helpless. I don't know if the damn thing is burning out on me, or if it's expected to get that loud? It just feels cheap, and I miss the freedom of knowing whats going on with my hardware, and what I can do to make it work better/more stable/more efficiently.

2. The cost isn't as far off as people make it out to be, for me at least. Professionally, I need a PC. I think most people do to varying degrees. Whether that means buying a $300-500 desktop or a $300 tablet and then spending $300 on a PS4 for gaming... or spending $800 on a proper gaming computer. I built my PC from scratch in 2012 and it's still playing everything I throw at it with ease. Given that games are generally being held back by console hardware limitations anyways, I betcha my PC could even last until the next big jump in technology (ie. late in the PS4's life, early in the PS5). The games do certainly offset the cost as well, since I can get most games for anywhere from 25-50% off before they even come out. For example, I pre-ordered The Witcher 3 on Steam for $17, and bought Mortal Kombat X shortly after release for less than $10.

3. Generally speaking, with a good PC, multiplatform games will look and run better than the consoles. Batman Arkham Knight was an extreme example going the other way, and a humiliating gaffe on the part of Rocksteady and WB Games... but it's most certainly the exception, not the rule. Going back and trying to play Sleeping Dogs on the PS3 made my eyes bleed between the unstable framerates and low resolution/muddy textures. Deadly Premonition had to be dipping below 15fps on the PS3, but runs at a solid 60fps on my PC... and looks a lot nicer (still crashes though). Granted these are PS3 games, and the PS4 has done a better job closing the gap, but I still notice the PS4 not being quite up to snuff. Most notably in other areas like loading times. The colors on my 55" Samsung HDTV in the living room are really washed out too... it'll never come close to my rich, vivid PC monitor.

In a lot of ways, my PC has spoiled me to the point where I'm not sure I'll ever come back to the Playstation full time (and believe me I've been trying). But I have to admit the Playstation exclusives and the significantly better trophy/achievement system, are areas that keep me coming back.

Edited by FrecLognAizeW
  • Like 1