It begins No open world for FF7:Remake

Daniel_Shadow170

I actually forgot one thing related to the non-open-worldness.

How would you put open world into episodic release?

They need to ensure people won't wander into a bug zone.

I can already predict the "you're just a SHILL, what'dya work for Square, I don't like taking it in the ass but I guess you do" response to this. xD

You're just a SHILL, what'dya work for Square, I don't like taking it in the ass but I guess you do.

:awesome:

You guys do realize i really really want the game to be great? All i want is the game to be like Resident Evil REmake and just about everyone would be happy instead square pull's another ff13 and splits the fanbase.

You want the game to be your definition of great, which apparently has little wiggle room and not everyone agrees with or cares about.  I'm personally willing to embrace a release that isn't the exact same game with a fresh coat of paint.

• Like 4

To be honest I just wanted FF7 redone with new environments, the same open world, fairly non-linear story progression, turn-based combat, etc.

For all of you who aren't big fans but are looking forward to the game, think of the hardcore fans who were looking forward to the game but now feel they're having an important part of their childhood altered to the point of being unrecognizable other than spiky hair and the inclusion of materia. In other words, very little had to be changed about the game for both old and new fans alike to be happy; now it sounds like only the new fans are being catered to.

That's the thing though, you and many others wanted it to stay the same, just better graphics. However, others dreaded the thought of it being turn-based again as it's "retro". They will never please everyone with this game.

The old fans are still being catered too....they are making the game a reality after years of them saying it wont be happening. The whole reason it's being changed up, is cause it's a remake not a remaster.

The childhood memories can still live on with the original, which is on PS4 now for us to enjoy. All people are trying to say in this thread is, give the game a chance. This could still turn out to be amazing and what we have all wanted. At least give it a chance to come out before you start getting disappointed and or annoyed.

You guys do realize i really really want the game to be great? All i want is the game to be like Resident Evil REmake and just about everyone would be happy instead square pull's another ff13 and splits the fanbase.

Of course, we all do. The thing is, you can't have it all your way. I too would love it to just be better graphics, voiced and have a trophy list....but then you have a ton more who detest the idea of it being a turn-based game.

Some of us want a Remaster - Better performance, Sharper graphics and trophies

While others respectively want a Remake - The same characters and story, different game.

Just be happy it's getting made.

• Like 3

I actually look forward to see it, not a big fan of VII, but i'm definitely looking forward.

This is why you don't get it btw. Just imagine your favorite game series all of a sudden drop all the things you love about it with their newer titles and pretty much dumb it down.

You want more of the stuff you love playing, and you've already played all the other games so many times already. Then comes a chance when they may actually make a game that you love again, and the more you learn about it, the more it turns out they're going to do the same stuff with that game as they have with the recent games that made you not like them as much. It's a big disappointment, that's all.

• Like 3

My apologies, but I absolutely abhor opinions of this type. This "no, you" culture has just got to stop, but I digress.

To be honest I just wanted FF7 redone with new environments, the same open world, fairly non-linear story progression, turn-based combat, etc.

For all of you who aren't big fans but are looking forward to the game, think of the hardcore fans who were looking forward to the game but now feel they're having an important part of their childhood altered to the point of being unrecognizable other than spiky hair and the inclusion of materia. In other words, very little had to be changed about the game for both old and new fans alike to be happy; now it sounds like only the new fans are being catered to.

This is why you don't get it btw. Just imagine your favorite game series all of a sudden drop all the things you love about it with their newer titles and pretty much dumb it down.

You want more of the stuff you love playing, and you've already played all the other games so many times already. Then comes a chance when they may actually make a game that you love again, and the more you learn about it, the more it turns out they're going to do the same stuff with that game as they have with the recent games that made you not like them as much. It's a big disappointment, that's all.

If I were the CEO of Square Enix, I would put you two in charge of the project, because you get the main point of a remake in the first place, both in the players and business perspective, which is to balance the game as perfectly as you can without changing the essence too much in order to attract both the old fans and new alike.

I can't comment on the open-world stuff other than be skeptic of what are they going to do, seeing how pretty much buying this remake in parts is almost imminent, which is terrible.

My apologies, but I absolutely abhor opinions of this type. This "no, you" culture has just got to stop, but I digress.

Im a big Fan but dont think so.  For me it is awesome to see a ff7 universe game with the story of ff7 in a new game with awesome graphics and some cool new features.  Why do you talk in the name of all "big fans/hardcore fans"? Thats just not true ! FF7 was a part of my childhood and im looking forward to see what SE is doing with this awesome world.

For me a real ff7 fan is happy with every thing that comes that have something to do with ff7.  And if they really ruin the name of ff7 than we can talk about that after the release.

For me a real ff7 fan is happy with every thing that comes that have something to do with ff7.  And if they really ruin the name of ff7 than we can talk about that after the release.

Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII. I rest my case.

That's the thing though, you and many others wanted it to stay the same, just better graphics. However, others dreaded the thought of it being turn-based again as it's "retro". They will never please everyone with this game.

The old fans are still being catered too....they are making the game a reality after years of them saying it wont be happening. The whole reason it's being changed up, is cause it's a remake not a remaster.

The childhood memories can still live on with the original, which is on PS4 now for us to enjoy. All people are trying to say in this thread is, give the game a chance. This could still turn out to be amazing and what we have all wanted. At least give it a chance to come out before you start getting disappointed and or annoyed.

Of course, we all do. The thing is, you can't have it all your way. I too would love it to just be better graphics, voiced and have a trophy list....but then you have a ton more who detest the idea of it being a turn-based game.

Some of us want a Remaster - Better performance, Sharper graphics and trophies

While others respectively want a Remake - The same characters and story, different game.

Just be happy it's getting made.

Please reread what I said: I never said I wanted it to stay exactly the same with just better graphics. Specifically, I said I "just wanted FF7 redone with new environments, the same open world, fairly non-linear story progression, turn-based combat, etc.

I'm not annoyed or claiming the sky is falling so much as I'm voicing my discontent. I will still likely give this game a chance, though I must admit I've gone from Day 1 purchase to taking on an air of cautious albeit slightly apprehensive optimism.

We get it, we really do. But being so close-minded about any changes the game might possibly have and just declaring it "fucked" so matter-of-factly without even seeing it in action isn't winning you any favors on the forum (and neither is typing with barely any punctuation - remember, proper writing gives you a lot of credibility). Again, just because it's different, doesn't mean it won't be as good. Just reserve judgment for when you can actually see the game in action.

Of course you have every right to complain. Everyone has. But remember, you can say something valid but say it the wrong way. Just look at AnimeDreama's #38 post, that should give you an idea of how to get your point across without coming across as whiny, close-minded and entitled.

Anyone complaining can play the exact remake that is out already.

I feel for the Devs. Seriously. The shit they are going to need to put up with - every armchair game designer spitting their e-dummy out about every little thing, by the time they finish making this game they will be sorry they ever tried.

Justwait till its out, then complain if you have to.

The professional creators of games have a better idea of how to make a game than a bunch of impossible-to-please fanboys.

With all due respect, but:

1. The purpose of a remake is to make both old and new fans look forward to something new that still keeps the essence. In short, going against what you wrote. Btw the one that came out is a remaster, not a remake.

2. Agreed, but the superiors are mostly at fault. You should read Keiji Inafune's interview regarding how designers are being treated on Japan. However, if the game turns out to be the pinnacke of people's fears and the devs actually agreed 100% on it, they should feel sorry if a sea of complains fill their ears. It would demonstrate that the audience is not so much of an idiot as they thought.

3. People are afraid of how this game might turn out. Some of my friends who are fans of this game and many others already sent complains and pleads to SE over some media. The sooner their fears might be quenched, the better.

4. A game becoming episodic, possibly cut out of some stuff and with a high chance that the gamer ends up paying more than he/she should is better than the idea of having a complete game even if it's on separate discs, but everything on day one and paying just enough? I don't know you, but my human logic tells me the latter is much more appealing unless you're rich and don't give a crap about money.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra
  • Like 1

With all due respect, but:

1. The purpose of a remake is to make both old and new fans look forward to something new that still keeps the essence. In short, going against what you wrote. Btw the one that came out is a remaster, not a remake.

2. Agreed, but the superiors are mostly at fault. You should read Keiji Inafune's interview regarding how designers are being treated on Japan. However, if the game turns out to be the pinnacke of people's fears and the devs actually agreed 100% on it, they should feel sorry if a sea of complains fill their ears. It would demonstrate that the audience is not so much of an idiot as they thought.

3. People are afraid of how this game might turn out. Some of my friends who are fans of this game and many others already sent complains and pleads to SE over some media. The sooner their fears might be quenched, the better.

4. A game becoming episodic, possibly cut out of some stuff and with a high chance that the gamer ends up paying more than he/she should is better than the idea of having a complete game even if it's on separate discs, but everything on day one and paying just enough? I don't know you, but my human logic tells me the latter is much more appealing unless you're rich and don't give a crap about money.

1. There are multiple reasons for remakes, and slavish devotion to an existing game design is one of them - but not applicable in tis case when the original is easily available, cheaply on the same system.

2. A sea of complains will hit their ears regardless of how good it is. Thats what gamers do - complain.

3. Being 'afraid' of how a game turns out is not a valid reason for acting like armchair designers. Square are making a product. Either buy it or don't. But unless you are on the design team you have no entitlement to be kept informed of design/development decisions.

4. A game - like all products - is worth what people will pay for it. If the devs decide to charge a thousand dollars for the game, and people pay it? Then that is what it is worth. Thats how capitalism works. Your argument makes no sense, as you are claiming to care so much about this game that you are 'afraid' about how it miht turn out, but also act like an increase in price would stop you buying it.

Edited by DrBloodmoney

This guy lol what else you want cut up fam? No but seriously the game is already fucked it'll be a decent 7/10 maybe 8/10 but it's not final fanatsy 7 anymore. When almost everyone is questioning every move that they've done it ether means you've messed up bad in the past or you're messing up now but don't worry i'll be the first to post here when no airship or tifa get's that design and of course the best part episode 1 being only midgar.

I personally don't understand what everyone wants? People enjoyed the original game because everything about it suited that moment in time, and now brings back nostalgia. Do you really just want them to update the graphics and leave it? If so then there is really no point in doing it. Let them develop a new game and bring it up to date. The original will always be there for people to play. Can't people just be a bit more open minded and actually wait until it comes out and just try it...

People wanted a remake so much...and now they're giving it to people, everyone is moaning. 

Also I think the actual quote was about the open world was "we don't plan on fussing about whether it's a so-called open-world or sandbox"....

This game will fail. Square Enix has decided to change everything that made the original great, and they're relying on the nostalgia of fans that loved the original.

If they're changing everything that made the original game great...doesn't that actually suggest they're doing the opposite of relying on the original fans and are trying to appeal to a broader audience? 

• Like 2

Im a big Fan but dont think so.  For me it is awesome to see a ff7 universe game with the story of ff7 in a new game with awesome graphics and some cool new features.  Why do you talk in the name of all "big fans/hardcore fans"? Thats just not true ! FF7 was a part of my childhood and im looking forward to see what SE is doing with this awesome world.

Sorry, but it's painful for me to watch you first complain about the no true Scotsman fallacy, for then to do it yourself... :(

Also, sorry, but I'm not happy about just anything because it's related to something else I like.

Don't know how it will turn out. It looks beautiful from all the trailers.

The visual design looks decent enough, but I really wish it captured more of that dark mood the original had. Personally, I see that as very important part of the game to me.

From all the rumors I've been hearing about the remake, I'm sure there's going to be some disappointments in it (I already think the whole episodic thing is just a money-grab).

Yeah, the episodic stuff seems more like what they did with FFXIII, which I thought were terrible. The first FFXIII might have seemed long to many, but there wasn't much story to speak of, nor world to explore or lore to dig into. Had this been back on PS1 or SNES, you'd have got the entire trilogy in one game. I really wonder how they will split it. Midgard was like the first few hours of the game, most of it almost like a tutorial. I'm very worried they will ruin some of the character's back story and the overall theme of the grief process. I'm also wondering what they will do with the optional characters.

Whenever this game does come out, & -if- it does suck, I'll probably lose the last of my faith in Square Enix. I mean, how hard can it be to remake a classic game & not ruin it by changing a shit ton of stuff?  <_<

I think some of the people over at Square is a bit ashamed of their previous games. They want to invent for the sake of doing so. Many of these RPGs weren't about intense hack n slash gameplay, but rather the more tactical and deep combat that was challenging and fun in another way.

Agreed 100%, I don't know if it had anything to do with it, but their games just started getting worse since Square merged with Enix back in 2003. *sigh* I miss the old Squaresoft days... sigh-onion-head-emoticon.gif?1292862519

I've long been wondering about what exactly happened. I think they changed HQ location and many key people quit for various reasons. I also think it may have to do with more powerful hardware, that allowed them to do more new stuff. Like real-time action oriented battle systems. They also grew a fetish around that clean, polished and shiny graphics, while the older games had art styles with more ... personality. They had some success with some of the voiced soundtracks and older composers parting with the company, which pushed them to the soundtracks we've heard with the later games.

The newer games sure as hell doesn't feel the same playing. I've gone back to some of the earlier games after playing the later ones, and it has just made me realize how big the difference really is.

I know Square has released some more old-school stuff for mobile recently. I've absolutely no interest in playing on a phone, so it's just too bad they don't bring that stuff to consoles. It is as I said in an earlier comment, they're ashamed of it or something. They honestly could have made a great game that played like their SNES era games for a lot cheaper, but they won't do it. :\ We got RPG maker and the sorts these days...

It's not surprising now given how it's going to be an episodic game. How could you do an open world in an episodic game? I agree it was one of the best things in FF7 and what made it special.

Just like FF7 was 3 discs...

Next announcement: microtransactions  ;)

:( Sadly, this is all too likely, but they may avoid doing it to cause too much drama after splitting up the game.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

Sorry, but it's painful for me to watch you first complain about the no true Scotsman fallacy, for then to do it yourself... :(

so the ironic part by complaining about it and than useing the same term to show how stupid generalization is was not clear? I think sarcasm in foreign language is way harder than i thought .   (ok additionally it was bad sarcasm too )

sorry for that.

You didnt like Dirge of Cerberus? thats sad. There is a lot of good background story to ff7 in the game.

Not to alarm you, but a lot of people didn't like Dirge of Cerberus.  It averaged 5/10 in most reviews.  I actually enjoyed the game, but then again, I don't really play much shooters or even really like the genre so I probably didn't notice the bad gameplay as much as someone who is into them would.  My friends constantly go on about how bad it was to play.

Edited by DEMON
  • Like 1

How odd that people can complain about a game that is not even made yet.

It's not even just complaining... it's literally talk of the sky falling.  Everything these people have believed in for the last 18 years is crashing down around them.  Because of a game with very little information really known about it, and isn't coming out for at least another two years.

And. They. Think. It's. Normal. xD

And hilariously enough, some of them are the ones that wanted a remake made... but one that kept everything about the game intact except the graphics.  Kinda makes you wonder why the original (which is still readily available, even with trophies now) isn't good enough for them anymore?  Makes me wonder just how dedicated they are, that a "false idol" like this could actually pose to "ruin" the name Final Fantasy VII for them.  Seems fickle.  There's some inconsistencies, for sure... but then again, these are the wailing complaints of gamers... a media userbase that has proven time and time again how relevant they are depends completely on how loud they scream.

Edited by FrecLognAizeW
  • Like 1

so the ironic part by complaining about it and than useing the same term to show how stupid generalization is was not clear? I think sarcasm in foreign language is way harder than i thought .   (ok additionally it was bad sarcasm too )

sorry for that.

Oh, rofl. I get the post if you were sarcastic! xD

To the one guy who said let them develop a new game the title say's Final Fantasy 7 Remake if they wanted to make a new game well they really should call it something else. Look i'd rather them say now sorry we suck and can't do it then butcher the title which going from what info we have 50% thinks that's true and the other 50% thinks it's not.

• Like 1