Platinum trophy requirements

Leo Leopold Leon III

54 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree that a game should be AAA, well known around the world (NOT to be indie developed), and have to be played for longer than 30 minutes to have a platinum trophy even if it doesn't have enough content for it?

• I agree completely. Indie games don't deserve platinum trophies.
    • No, I disagree. There is more to it than that.
    • Every game should have a platinum trophy.

So as the topic poll says, do you agree with the statement that only games that fulfill these 3 requirements should have platinum trophies?

1. have AAA production

2. take longer than 30 minutes to platinum

3. be well known around the world

If a game like telltale's The Walking Dead which needs almost 0 effort to 100% has a platinum, does an Indie game that has plenty content deserve to have a platinum trophy? Or does it not deserve a platinum trophy simply because it is of indie production with not as high budget and isn't that well known among the players of the world. 

Do you think there are more requirements than mentioned above that go towards the platinum? Do you think every game should have a platinum disregarding all of the requirements mentioned above because it's just another trophy that pops out when you get all other trophies? Or do you think that a game can only have a platinum if all 3 requirements mentioned above are fulfilled?

I am actually very interested in this and would like to see what other players beside me think about this. Now I will say that what I want from the arguments in this topic is to hold water, that they are well argumented and that you behave (no swearing and no insulting, everyone has a right for an opinion) 

I don't think AAA matters. If a game has enough content, then it deserves a platinum. HOWEVER, every game should have a trophy for finishing the story/campaign/levels. If a game can be completed in under 10 hrs it shouldn't have one, period.

Every game should have a platinum. 

Having some games listed as "100%" kinda defeats the purpose of a platinum in the first place.

I really hope that Sony, some time in the future, begins to streamline its trophy policies a bit more.

And also reveal the requirements for a plat. Some lists are just messed up. I still don't understand why Metal Gear V Ground Zero has no plat, while the Xbox version got a full list with 1,000 points.

If every game had a platinum, I feel like platinums would lose their meaning and just become another trophy, like a bronze, silver or gold. Because the type of games to have 100% lists instead of platinums simply aren't that big. They may be challenging, but even so, if the game only lasts 10 hours or so, the challenge is kind of a moot point.

Sure, a lot of indie games do have a lot of content, there's no doubting that, most don't. I feel that the indies that do have tons of content deserve platinums, and the ones that don't don't deserve one.

Although the same can be said for AAA (The Order), most AAA games have a decent amount of content to work with, instead of it being a 1-5 hour experience.

Every game should have a platinum. If only the Arcade Archive games had plats.  :P

This is what worries me if Sony copies Xbox and makes every game have a platinum. For every Terminator Salvation, Hannah Montana or visual novel, there are a whole lot more PSN games that are a total joke.

Edited by madbuk

Up until about 6 months ago it was based on the scope of the game which was a bit vague. It was then changed to the number of trophies the game has, so a game with under a certain amount of trophies (my guess would be 12?) can't have a platinum.

Source is from that trophy engineer on Twitter, forgotten his name/handle now.

No thank you, keep it the way it is Sony, I know you guys just pull names out a hat to see which games do and don't get platinums. Having every game have a platinum is pointless, it won't mean anything anymore. Just numbers like XBox has giving every game 1000GS no matter how small the game is. I hope they don't cop out and give every game a platinum cause even some that have platinums right now don't deserve it.

• Like 1

Seriously speaking though, I feel that how many trophies a game has should determine whether it gets a plat. If your game is honestly so barren of content that you can only come up with 20 or so trophies for it (or most of your trophies are the same damn trophy dozens of times), you shouldn't get a platinum.

Excluding indie games from having a platinum is absolutely absurd as there are plenty of indie developed games that offer more content and diversity than AAA titles.

I think the balance is about right at the moment and I don't necessarily think that all games deserve a platinum trophy - I've played plenty of quick and easy PSN games where it would not be fitting to have a platinum trophy included, just purely based on the content (e.g. MonsterBag)  As madbuk has already pointed out, platinums would lose their meaning if they were in every game.

As for a time restriction, I think (if anything) games that can be completed in under 5 hours should not have a platinum trophy, although with that being said completion times vary between person to person and can be a subjective point.

I think equally, games not having a platinum trophy could potentially impact on sales due to the "no plat, no play" culture.

• 3 weeks later...

I disagree.

As we've seen in fairly recent experience, a game being AAA doesn't mean it's going to be good or 'worth a platinum trophy'. Look at Batman: Arkham Knight and Assassin's Creed Unity, although I guess the games are long and have enough content, just because they're AAA doesn't mean it's better than an indie game that has been released and is fully functioning like Shovel Knight or Dust: An Elysian Tail.

This being said, definitely not all games 'deserve' a platinum, looking at Aabs Animals and flower it would be silly to give those platinums. Giving every game a plat would kind of devalue them in a way - ''Oh look at my 900+ plats'' but they're all just separate trophy lists of the easiest little games ever.

I think if anything needs changing it's the lists. I think they need to combine trophy lists into one so that people don't have like.. 6 copies of Sound Shapes. I get it's their time and money if they want to buy the same game several times but.. eh. It makes plats ultra cheap and not really achievements anymore.

• Like 1

Content doesn't mean anything when giving a plat to a game, at least not in the same way you think about it.

I mean, there a games out there that aren't indie and you can plat in just a couple hours. And there are indie games that would take 100+ hours to plat if they had one. 

In any case, I think people pay too mouch attention to platinums. I like trophies in general, my plat counts does not affect the way I play.

Most of the AAA games don't interest me that much, so I'm obviously opposed to that as a standard. Content is a factor, but any hard standard is easily manipulated. You would need a test with a few prongs, but then even a weak game can be sculpted to the test.

I don't think AAA matters. If a game has enough content, then it deserves a platinum. HOWEVER, every game should have a trophy for finishing the story/campaign/levels. If a game can be completed in under 10 hrs it shouldn't have one, period.

Completed in under 10 hours by whom? Best player skipping all cutscenes and non mandatory content, average player/playstyle (whatever that means), or new player watching everything?

Easily overcome by including a mandatory playtime trophy, ridiculously grindy ones (most of Godzilla), or just ones that are insane (ie No Fear of Heights on Lollipop Chainsaw).

Seriously speaking though, I feel that how many trophies a game has should determine whether it gets a plat. If your game is honestly so barren of content that you can only come up with 20 or so trophies for it (or most of your trophies are the same damn trophy dozens of times), you shouldn't get a platinum.

Daisenryaku series tends to finish  around 20 trophies including the platinum--one finished at 18-- and I'm told they're  long. Same with the company's Yamato game at 20 exactly.  If the trophies are only for beating each campaign does that fail the test? What about the ever popular kill X# of Y trophies?

Conversely you could follow the AABS animals' trophy model and make a Hentai petting game with say 6 gropable sprites that would qualify for a plat. Which is actually tempting to try.

Beatable by just adding more trophies.

I think it shouldn't depend on the process of creating but simply on the game itself. I really enjoyed for example The Walking Dead but it's very simple for a Plat. In contrast i don't like that on the other hand great games like Lara Croft & the Guardian of Light doesn't have a Plat.

I think not every game should have a Plat, but it's not a matter of Indie or not!