Risen 2 disappointment..

I have no idea what others are thinking of this game so far but I'm 3 hours in and the graphics are a HUGE disappointment. The combat so far has also been pretty shitty but I know that will get much better soon. The story is pretty meh but alright overal I guess. There's also alot of camera lagg and unnatural movement in your character and NPC's. If you really want this game I'd say give it a shot. But if you were seriously doubting I'd say don't get this one. Atleast not on PS3. I know the PC graphics are far better. That is all for now I'd love to hear your opinions aswell.

Sidenote: If you're wondering yes I'm playing on HDMI. The graphics are just really, really shitty compared to the trailers.

Edited by xHeartlessKiddx

I never expected a lot from the game because I've read that the first one was fully of bugs. Last time I heard other a sequel releasing to a game like that was Two Worlds 2.

I'll still rent it. It probably wont be my favorite game, but maybe interesting enough to relieve stress and pass time.

I'm glad I watched that. I thought the game looked good initially.

It really did. But now it's clear that they only ramped up the graphics for the trailers. Even the PC version looks like shit, imagine what the PS3/XBOX360 versions look like. And the combat really is just exceptionally boring. It's just mashing square over and over 'till either goes down, you can't dodge or anything. You can't even block animals or anything that is not carrying a sword to attack you. And it is seriously brutally hard the first few hours. Thank god there is no 'Beat the game on hard difficulty' trophy. And controlling your own ship and freeroaming? None of that shit. Just fast-travelling between the islands. If you want to sail a ship sometime soon and engage in combat and explore like in Sly 3, your best bet is Assassin's Creed 3. I would give this game a 2/10 for the PS3 port compared to a 4/10 for the PC version. It just sucks relentlessly. Rant over.

Woah alright. They released a patch already that I'm downloading right now. It is actually a patch that makes the game much better already. Though it could still see ALOT of improvement.

Patch 1.01 patch includes:

Features

- Most monster attacks can be blocked now

- Player has the ability to dodge during combat

Bugfixes

- Fixed issue with flickering trees in far distance

- Fixed issue with SLI graphic cards

- Fixed a crash with 7.1 sound system configuration

- Fixed a crash during climbing

- Fixed issue within return to ship option

- Fixed rain in interiors

- Crew members can't be killed by monsters anymore

- Player get the cunning potion after he crafted it

- Fixed issues with skill teachers

Balance/Tweaks

- Maximum amount of automatic saves was limited to 10

- Improvements in monster combat AI

- Improvements in character AI if they get attacked from behind

- Improved vegetation rendering

- Improved object view distance

- Improved terrain rendering

- Simplify cannon sabotage in Puerto Isabella

- Merchant on Sword Coast sells Rum and Grog

- Removed exploit for shooting game

- Mara's health increased

- Stealbeard's hat can't be sold anymore

I copied and pasted this from the PC patch version but I am experiencing the same improvents so the PS3 one can't be much different. It's funny 'cause I was doing the cannon sabotage while my game froze and I had to restart the PS3 and then download the patch. Now they made it easier. Thanks Piranha Bytes.

Edited by xHeartlessKiddx

Another massive dissapointment. There's no NG+ and no free-roam after taking the boat to the island where the boss is. And me, expecting it would be more than just 2 extremely easy boss fights right away and finishing the game, didn't make a save right beforehand. And the autosave function ACTUALLY SAVED ON THAT ISLAND. Fucking. Retarded. My last save is from 4 hours ago. Thanks Piranha Bytes, I will NEVER buy another game that is developed by PB. Oh and you get another quest from a crewmate on the 'final' island so what the fuck is that about? I'm just rooting for a patch or fix to this, not looking forward to do 4 whole hours over again just to start tons of more grinding from there.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I just started the game this past weekend and so far its pretty solid entertainment wise. I agree that the visuals are a bit dated but they're hardly ever that big of deal to me (besides whenever I play a game with ridiculous frame rate slow downs).

BTW, Angry Joe has a very bad habit of over embellishing details (good & bad) about games. His credibility definitely comes into question often times with me.

Edited by merciful84

• 4 weeks later...

I just beat the game and overall I'd say its "decent". As much as I hate to admit it, Angry Joe was pretty spot on with most the things he said about the game, though they didn't bother me too much. Between the two, Two Worlds II is definately the better game (not even close really). The combat and the slow pacing of learning new skills were my main gripe against Risen 2. It took way too long to have even a moderate amount of combat skills or do missions that reward generous amount of experience (glory rather) and money.

• 5 weeks later...

It might make sense to do a little research first before buying a game. The developer, Piranha Bytes, have done some great work on games like Gothic 1 and 2, even Risen 1. These aren't fast-paced games. Gothic is famous for it's "ooh an enemy.... what, dead already?". They create games where you have to build your character slowly and that start off slow-paced. And that's what I love in classic RPGs. An RPG that's done in less than 50h is, sorry to say that, way too short. Risen 2 offers a lot of exploring, it never felt boring. I took around 90h to platinum. Also, an RPG is much more than the obvious graphic surface, it's what's inside that counts. And the story ain't that bad. Nothing ground-breaking, nothing really new. But even in best-selling RPGs such as Skyrim one could state: it's nothing new. Fighting a dragon, being kind of a dragon, that has already been told (take a look at Divinity II: Ego Draconis).

One thing that was a little disappointing was that the 2nd DLC (treasure isle) was fun, but way too short.

I myself found the humour in Risen 2 to be refreshing. It could've had a bit more "dirty talk" such as the dark themed Gothic games, where 99% of all encountered characters are bandits, criminals, murderers, rapists etc. Pirates are just too nice and well-mannered it seems...

And when it comes to saving... well learnt the hard way: it should be clear that when facing important events, a save needs to be done, especially if it's your first time around. So you can't blame that on PB.

• 1 month later...

It might make sense to do a little research first before buying a game. The developer, Piranha Bytes, have done some great work on games like Gothic 1 and 2, even Risen 1. These aren't fast-paced games. Gothic is famous for it's "ooh an enemy.... what, dead already?". They create games where you have to build your character slowly and that start off slow-paced. And that's what I love in classic RPGs.

I agree mostly with what you're saying but the HUGE gap in time and/or the lack of much extra opportunity to earn the necessary amount of money & glory it takes to learn even the most basic skills in Risen 2, kind of makes having the advance skills present a bit pointless. Especially since the game lacks a New Game + mode. To really experience the majority of the skills that the game has to offer, it forces the player to hoard money, resources, and glory until closer to the end....things that are conventially meant to be strategically spent throughout. By that time, the usefulness of the skills are long gone (theivry mostly comes to mind).

I agree mostly with what you're saying but the HUGE gap in time and/or the lack of much extra opportunity to earn the necessary amount of money & glory it takes to learn even the most basic skills in Risen 2, kind of makes having the advance skills present a bit pointless. Especially since the game lacks a New Game + mode. To really experience the majority of the skills that the game has to offer, it forces the player to hoard money, resources, and glory until closer to the end....things that are conventially meant to be strategically spent throughout. By that time, the usefulness of the skills are long gone (theivry mostly comes to mind).

I spent a good 7 hours endlessly playing the shooting mini-game to earn the 300K trophy, now I have more than enough money.. The problem now is glory. 

• Like 1

I spent a good 7 hours endlessly playing the shooting mini-game to earn the 300K trophy, now I have more than enough money.. The problem now is glory. 

Yeah, sounds about right...but you could have just hoarded a bunch of treasure, sold it, bought back and repeat over & over again to get the trophy. Its what I did.

Edited by merciful84

Yeah, sounds about right...but you could have just hoarded a bunch of treasure, sold it, bought back and repeat over & over again to get the trophy. Its what I did.

Sure I could have done so, but i wanted to have enough money so I could buy everything I wanted and not worry about it later.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I liked this game. Hack-and-rum worked well (particularly since infinite money was so easily achievable). I think I platted it in 30 hours.

My only gripe was the stupid set of quick time events. They make no sense in a game like this. Cheap deaths all the time.

• 8 months later...

100 hours in and i really like it! Pirates, treasures, monsters, huge exploration and wonderful music make this rpg very enjoyable! There are some glitches/bugs and the combat system is not implemented very well but I still recommend it 100% to any action based rpg player (or old skool like myself). It plays similar to 'Two worlds 2', you know, a silly start but then after 10+ hours you find it impossible to put the controller down!  I was expecting to find really bad graphics as many guys posted earlier but its completly false, nothing wrong in my 50" HD screen apart from the fact that the objects load slowly most of the times. On the other hand the videos are pretty much crap but thankfully there are only a few. On to Risen 3 !!!!

louk76.png

Edited by louk76
  • Like 2