Nintendo Trophy Lists

DetectiveCJ

Apparently during some footage of a confirmed Switch title a "Sticker" notification popped up. Could this have been footage of the Switch version? Also could stickers return to Switch as a trophy system rather than decorations for Miiverse posts?

Nintendo said somewhen that an achievement system wouldn't be an option for them, because they don't want to force people to do stuff.

And tbh... I appreciate it. Sometimes you need a break from trophies and stuff. :P And collecting all Pokémon isn't that "exhausting" like collecting all trophies. Dunno... I had over 500 Pokémon and it felt really good. But I hated it that they gifted you all the legendaries during 2016. That was lame... On the other hand, on PlayStation, I would take these free trophies. So, in my opinion you can't really compare that.

11 minutes ago, Neputyunu said:

Nintendo said somewhen that an achievement system wouldn't be an option for them, because they don't want to force people to do stuff.

But the trophy/achievement system is totally optional. Nobody is forcing you to get these things. Hell, most people don't even care to collect them, but surely having the option for people who want them can't be a bad thing?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

But the trophy/achievement system is totally optional. Nobody is forcing you to get these things. Hell, most people don't even care to collect them, but surely having the option for people who want them can't be a bad thing?

Well, I can't find the exact posting I read back then... But, yeah, here...

"When they create their games, [Nintendo's designers] don't tell you how to play their game in order to achieve some kind of mythical reward."

http://kotaku.com/5740114/a-nintendo-argument-against-achievements

...I was sure I read something like this in 2014 or something.

Good lord I kinda wish they dont add it. Im not gonna focus on earning achievements "IF" the switch becomes easily hackable. Also even if they did add it,  im not going to bother getting them anyway. I already invested in so much on my PSN Trophies. Working on two different achievements lists is just gonna be another chore. Id rather play the switch just for fun..

Well the sad truth is that they need to go with the flow if they want 3rd party support, that's going to mean trophies or some such thing. I'm not getting into this niche market of Nintendo games again after the Wii U which I bought day 1. As much as we love our games, sometimes you need to rely on the masses.

• 1 month later...
On 11-12-2016 at 10:40 PM, Neputyunu said:

Well, I can't find the exact posting I read back then... But, yeah, here...

http://kotaku.com/5740114/a-nintendo-argument-against-achievements

...I was sure I read something like this in 2014 or something.

Good read and good points. I was actually starting to doubt if an achievement/trophy system might be a good thing for the Switch but the discovery will certainly lessen... Unless the lists are full-on secret. It's a good point that they'd want you to explore a Zelda game for yourself instead of relying on a trophy list.

On 11-12-2016 at 10:46 PM, Satoshi Ookami said:

That's the same reasoning they use to convince everyone that region locking is a good thing.

Typical Ninty =D

Yay, Switch is region-free! That's got to be a good omen for someone who likes both Asian and Western games...

On 13-12-2016 at 10:02 AM, Z1MZUM said:

Well the sad truth is that they need to go with the flow if they want 3rd party support, that's going to mean trophies or some such thing. I'm not getting into this niche market of Nintendo games again after the Wii U which I bought day 1. As much as we love our games, sometimes you need to rely on the masses.

Seeing as you're talking about " if and when"  you get the Switch now, I'm assuming you've changed your opinion? :)

On topic: not naming full lists but I hope that IF the Switch gets trophies, it will be a basic list. For instance in Zelda one for every boss and a couple for 100% stats (collect all heart containers, three bottles etc), in Mario one for every boss and one for each world that has been 100% completed... None of the weird stuff PlayStation/Xbox lists sometimes make you do. My opinion is that 100% completion of in-game stats should be enough to 100% the trophy lists.

3 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

On topic: not naming full lists but I hope that IF the Switch gets trophies, it will be a basic list. For instance in Zelda one for every boss and a couple for 100% stats (collect all heart containers, three bottles etc), in Mario one for every boss and one for each world that has been 100% completed... None of the weird stuff PlayStation/Xbox lists sometimes make you do. My opinion is that 100% completion of in-game stats should be enough to 100% the trophy lists.

IF Nintendo is going to do achievements too... I'm not going to do them. I love trophies, no doubt, but... dunno, I'm also playing (at least a bit) on PC, using Steam, Origin and BattleNet. If I would go for all the achievements, I would be crazy. I mean, I am anyway... I was close to get in World of Warcraft http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Insane_in_the_Membrane ...And also had multiple hundreds of WoWs achievements, usually in the top3 of my guild when it's about achievementpoints. Everyone told me I would have problems... In Starcraft2 I have nearly everything that isn't multiplayer related. But, you know what's a problem with achievements on PC? Not just that every crap is using its own plattform... Mods or custom maps can add their own achievements... meh...

On PC this achievement stuff went totally out of controll...

Maybe, Nintendo would do everyone a favor when they would be the only plattform without achievements... Have you seen what you need to do eg in Super Mario 3D World (Wii U) to achieve 100%? I mean... wtf... I would only do that when I would be like 12 again and only would have like 5 games and no own money... :D 

3 minutes ago, Neputyunu said:

IF Nintendo is going to do achievements too... I'm not going to do them. I love trophies, no doubt, but... dunno, I'm also playing (at least a bit) on PC, using Steam, Origin and BattleNet. If I would go for all the achievements, I would be crazy. I mean, I am anyway... I was close to get in World of Warcraft http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Insane_in_the_Membrane ...And also had multiple hundreds of WoWs achievements, usually in the top3 of my guild when it's about achievementpoints. Everyone told me I would have problems... In Starcraft2 I have nearly everything that isn't multiplayer related. But, you know what's a problem with achievements on PC? Not just that every crap is using its own plattform... Mods or custom maps can add their own achievements... meh...

On PC this achievement stuff went totally out of controll...

Maybe, Nintendo would do everyone a favor when they would be the only plattform without achievements... Have you seen what you need to do eg in Super Mario 3D World (Wii U) to achieve 100%? I mean... wtf... I would only do that when I would be like 12 again and only would have like 5 games and no own money... :D 

... Seems reasonable :D

Actually I 100%ed Super Mario Galaxy even though I gained no trophies out of it, which was a lot of work as well. I 100%ed Super Mario 64 as well but that's peanuts compared to how long Galaxy takes to completely play through.

I'm kind of neutral on trophies for the Switch at the moment, I can see the pros and cons of both sides. I'm not a completionist any more after not liking who I had become with the achievement hunting, and these days I only 100% a game if I'm really really into it, or really really close after completing the story. I'd say no trophies for Switch so I can just be surprised by everything and don't feel obligated, I'd say trophies for Switch so I can show what I've played and how far I've come.

In the end though, I think I agree with you that Nintendo probably should not go with the flow on this one and just keep their console trophy-free.

25 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I'm kind of neutral on trophies for the Switch at the moment, I can see the pros and cons of both sides. I'm not a completionist any more after not liking who I had become with the achievement hunting, and these days I only 100% a game if I'm really really into it, or really really close after completing the story. I'd say no trophies for Switch so I can just be surprised by everything and don't feel obligated, I'd say trophies for Switch so I can show what I've played and how far I've come.

In the end though, I think I agree with you that Nintendo probably should not go with the flow on this one and just keep their console trophy-free.

But why? I had my Wii U just for a short period, but as far I can remember there was no messaging system. Sure, there was Mii-verse, but... Dunno, Nintendo doesn't feel like we are supposed to actually talk to each other.

Also it doesn't work out well, when you are giving power to the people...

"Chatot was banned from the Pokémon Global Battle Union, presumably because of Chatter being used to record vulgar words."

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Chatter_(move)#Trivia

So? What then? I can imagine it like how it is on Vita, when some games keep spamming your friends news-feed like for example Assassins Creed III Liberation did it.

Oh, the player got 500 money! Quick, lets autopost that! "Blah just earned 500 moneys (734600 total!)"

Oh, the played just bought a toothpick for 1 moneys! Quick, lets autopost that! "Blah just spent 1 moneys (734599 total!)"

Oh, the player just used fast travel! Quick, lets autopost that! "Blah travelled for 6000 meters! Bon Voyage!"

Oh, look, the player just found a collectiable! Quick, lets autopost that! "Blah found an alligator egg / mayan coin / voodoo doll / diary page / whatever!"

Oh, look, the player just killed a guard! Quick, lets autopost that! "Blah was just for 30 minutes fully notorious!" and "Blah assassinated twelvety enemies!"

Dunno, that would be... pretty annoying? :D 

Well, there would be an other option I can imagine... All of the games you started get tracked by mii-verse, without posting anything. But when someone really would care about it they can click on each game for further informations. And then they see how many starts, stamps, and whatever you have. That would be acceptable I guess. It would be achievement-ish, for bragging purposes or whatever, but you, as the gamer, don't see it always for yourself (and why would you go to mii-verse anyway?). And so it can prevent you from getting insane, while still letting people know how far you are at. Right? :P 

Edit: When I would post THIS on mii-verse, I would be banned now. Because Nintendo doesn't like it when you are mentioning other consoles. http://nintendotoday.com/yoshida-banned-from-miiverse/

Edited by Neputyunu
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I'm not a completionist any more after not liking who I had become with the achievement hunting, and these days I only 100% a game if I'm really really into it, or really really close after completing the story.

What kind of a person did you become? Did you kill a guy? 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Neputyunu said:

But why? I had my Wii U just for a short period, but as far I can remember there was no messaging system. Sure, there was Mii-verse, but... Dunno, Nintendo doesn't feel like we are supposed to actually talk to each other.

[...]

Actually what I meant was just that the trophy list could be publicly viewed like the PlayStation/Xbox ones are, so that we can get a Nintendo trophy site. I'm just a nut for statistics, I guess.

17 minutes ago, SNACH2497 said:

What kind of a person did you become? Did you kill a guy? 

HAHAHAHAHAHAno. In earnest, I started buying cheap but easy games just for the quick completions and I read walkthroughs before I started a game. Had most of the Mass Effect trilogy spoiled for me that way, that was the moment when I decided I didn't like what looking for achievements had done to me. I was gaming less and less until, with the PS4, came a new trophy system where I could start fresh.

10 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Actually what I meant was just that the trophy list could be publicly viewed like the PlayStation/Xbox ones are, so that we can get a Nintendo trophy site. I'm just a nut for statistics, I guess.

HAHAHAHAHAHAno. In earnest, I started buying cheap but easy games just for the quick completions and I read walkthroughs before I started a game. Had most of the Mass Effect trilogy spoiled for me that way, that was the moment when I decided I didn't like what looking for achievements had done to me. I was gaming less and less until, with the PS4, came a new trophy system where I could start fresh.

Yes. That was the second way I was imaginating that. They should just put your collectibles stat in your miiverse. But not every time as posting, to annoy someone. More like, a menupoint in your profile. ...How to explain that... Do you know the World of Warcraft armory? You look up a name there, and the site gives you informations about that character. Visuals, equipment, reputation, guild, achievements, pet collection, etc etc... Now imagine that as a button on Facebook.

You are going to someones Miiverse and then you have buttons for, dunno, Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 eg, because these are the only two games you have played with that NNID, that give you all possible informations when you click on it.

Hmmm? I'm always checking PST.org guides first. Amount of time, difficulty, multiplayer (yes, no, how much?), missables (if yes, read them)... I don't see that as spoiler. I'm just checking for overall information about the game, but not about the content itself. And for missables. It's a trophy guide and not a walkthough, so, it isn't really a spoiler? *shrugs*

2 hours ago, Neputyunu said:

Yes. That was the second way I was imaginating that. They should just put your collectibles stat in your miiverse. But not every time as posting, to annoy someone. More like, a menupoint in your profile. ...How to explain that... Do you know the World of Warcraft armory? You look up a name there, and the site gives you informations about that character. Visuals, equipment, reputation, guild, achievements, pet collection, etc etc... Now imagine that as a button on Facebook.

You are going to someones Miiverse and then you have buttons for, dunno, Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 eg, because these are the only two games you have played with that NNID, that give you all possible informations when you click on it.

Hmmm? I'm always checking PST.org guides first. Amount of time, difficulty, multiplayer (yes, no, how much?), missables (if yes, read them)... I don't see that as spoiler. I'm just checking for overall information about the game, but not about the content itself. And for missables. It's a trophy guide and not a walkthough, so, it isn't really a spoiler? *shrugs*

Never played WoW (sorry, console gamer through and through save for the DOS era) but a site where you can find yourself with game stats sounds about right. As long as the info can be found online, a PSNprofiles-like site (NinProfiles?) can pull the info of its users.

I still check trophy lists for basic stuff like multiplayer and unobtainable and no I don't consider those spoilers, but they impact my gaming choices less and less and I don't look at guide descriptions, walkthroughs and the likes, at least not until I have completed my first campaign mode unless it's story-light like DiRT 3 or something, then by all means go nuts. To each his own. But yeah trophy guides can be spoilers, like in Mass Effect if you have to make some specific choices to make stuff happen (like zero deaths in crew).

12 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Oh yea, read about this, pretty much the first positive :D

Though... there's nothing to import, lol xDDDD

Ahem...

Games that Japan is getting day one, which PAL/NA gets later, if at all:

Disgaea 5 Complete
Dragon Quest Heroes I & II
I Am Setsuna
Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence
Puyo Puyo Tetris (NA gets it as well, PAL has to wait for "Q2")

Games which PAL and NA get day one before Japan gets it:

Just Dance 2017
Skylanders: Imaginators

So, yeah... plenty to import, even if we only look at day one titles :)

Maybe someday they will have actual trophies. It depends on how Nintendo will do with the Switch. If it goes the way of the WiiU it might be hard for Nintendo to stay in the home console business.

Worst case scenario, Nintendo might eventually go the way of Sega and we might see Nintendo games on the PS. Then there will be trophies.

This is all hypothetical ofcourse, I have no idea of the sales numbers and whether or not Nintendo can survive a Switch fail. But I guess it could potentially go that way eventually.

8 minutes ago, Ric said:

Maybe someday they will have actual trophies. It depends on how Nintendo will do with the Switch. If it goes the way of the WiiU it might be hard for Nintendo to stay in the home console business.

Worst case scenario, Nintendo might eventually go the way of Sega and we might see Nintendo games on the PS. Then there will be trophies.

This is all hypothetical ofcourse, I have no idea of the sales numbers and whether or not Nintendo can survive a Switch fail. But I guess it could potentially go that way eventually.

I see nintendo doing mobile over ever making games for their competitors

54 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

They're already doing that xD

I would not mind Nintendo making games for PS4 but honestly, I can't see Zelda, Mario, F-Zero and Pokémon ever on anything than a Nintendo console/handheld with the exception of a bare few mobile side steps.

2 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Just saying they might eventually have to if their consoles keep failing. That or mobile games, but I don't see console versions of games like Mario and Zelda running on something mobile. And those are really some of the bigger reasons Nintendo still exists. That and the handheld market, but they have very limited competition there (outside of said mobile market).

Mobile is fun and all, but I don't think people will stick to Nintendo as much as they have for just mobile games.

And besides, it's not like they've never made games for other consoles before. It's  a while back, but still :)

s-l225.jpg

Edited by Ric

8 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Ahem...

Games that Japan is getting day one, which PAL/NA gets later, if at all:

Disgaea 5 Complete
Dragon Quest Heroes I & II
I Am Setsuna
Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence
Puyo Puyo Tetris (NA gets it as well, PAL has to wait for "Q2")

Games which PAL and NA get day one before Japan gets it:

Just Dance 2017
Skylanders: Imaginators

So, yeah... plenty to import, even if we only look at day one titles :)

Not enough weebness there :awesome:

Pretty much all of them (maybe Nobunaga not) will be coming eventually. Most importers import because the games cannot be obtained in their own country so... if you can get them, why import? :D

5 hours ago, Ric said:

Just saying they might eventually have to if their consoles keep failing. That or mobile games, but I don't see console versions of games like Mario and Zelda running on something mobile. And those are really some of the bigger reasons Nintendo still exists. That and the handheld market, but they have very limited competition there (outside of said mobile market).

Mobile is fun and all, but I don't think people will stick to Nintendo as much as they have for just mobile games.

And besides, it's not like they've never made games for other consoles before. It's  a while back, but still :)

s-l225.jpg

Mario Bros was also on the atari, but that's only because they didn't have their own system yet