Challenge Trophy

PSX_Trepie

I can get as far as the room with heaps of panels, where walls pop up to block your path.  Is there only 1 puzzle in there, a triangle one?  What do you do after that?

The maze contains two triangle panels, and there is also another chamber with two pillar panels. After that you are done.

EDIT: Overall, the Challenge consists of 14 random panels: 10 of various themes, 2 triangles, and 2 pillars. The two tracks from Peer Gynt last around 6.15 minutes (375 seconds). Considering the time taken to move, that means you have approximately 20 seconds each. Fortunately the first 4 panels are quite easy and can be done all within the first 20 seconds. Still it is quite the brain marathon...

Edited by yashtur

The triangle panels found scattered around the island can be thought of as some sort of introduction to that symbol's rules. None is required to be solved actually, but the Challenge will use them extensively so that you must know how they work.

How do they work? I hate this aspect of the game, you get punished for trial and error too seeing as some panels deactivate when you get it wrong.

How do they work? I hate this aspect of the game, you get punished for trial and error too seeing as some panels deactivate when you get it wrong.

That seems to be deliberate though - the only locations where failure deactivates a previous panel is where the solution is based on some outside information (something in the environment or shadow or something.)

Its supposed to make you look around since you need to leave and come back.

At least, that is my experience so far - being forced to leave and come back helped me to figure out the bunker section - direftly because of this - while walking back to the previous panel i noticed what to do

Edited by DrBloodmoney

I'm at the "challenge" now, and holy crap.  Must have spent 3 hours on it last night, still haven't finished.

Trying to find the triangle puzzles inside the maze kills what time I have left.  I've only gotten to try the pillars once due to running out of time in the maze trying to find both triangle puzzles.

Also, a question about the challenge:

Do the 3 panels on the ceiling in the 3 spots actually serve a purpose? 1 above music box, 1 above entrance to maze, 1 above locked vault door.

Edited by supertrunksman

I did it. Finally. This platinum surely is one of the most satisfying. Even more, I had no guides to figure the game out, just myself.

I strongly suggest everyone to not use a guide, just take it slowly and appreciate this masterpiece of reason with some critical thinking. If you are particularly stuck, just check around for some clues or hints, but please don't look for solutions. You'll ruin the experience.

Completing this certain challenge unlock the final theatre video. Good lord if it's a long one. Just as the easter egg ending suggests that the ending is in the beginning, the endgame shows us that the ending is just the beginning. Jonathan Blow you did it again!

• Like 2

I'm at the "challenge" now, and holy crap.  Must have spent 3 hours on it last night, still haven't finished.

Trying to find the triangle puzzles inside the maze kills what time I have left.  I've only gotten to try the pillars once due to running out of time in the maze trying to find both triangle puzzles.

I did two puzzles in there, couldn't even find the next. It's such a stupid concept.

Some observations that might help those trying to complete the Challenge:

There is a set of three unsolvable puzzles in the Challenge:

these act as a timer. The number of dots on the right-most panel goes up by 1 every time. After there are 7 dots it resets to 0, and the number of orange squares on the middle panel goes up by 1. When the number of orange squares on the middle panel hits 9, it resets to 0, and the total number of squares in the clues for the left-most panel goes up by one. The timer stops right before the number of squares on the left-most panel hits 10, so, when there are 9, 9, and 7 orange squares/dots on the panels respectively. The timer ticks are synchronised with the music, so it moves at different rates.

To find a way through the maze and locate the triangle panels

look at the 4th panel after starting the Challenge. This is a replica of the maze, showing the dead ends and the triangle panels as orange dots. Just try to remember the shape of the line you drew to solve it. In this manner you will not waste time trying to navigate the maze.

Good luck!

Some observations that might help those trying to complete the Challenge:

There is a set of three unsolvable puzzles in the Challenge:

these act as a timer. The number of dots on the right-most panel goes up by 1 every time. After there are 7 dots it resets to 0, and the number of orange squares on the middle panel goes up by 1. When the number of orange squares on the middle panel hits 9, it resets to 0, and the total number of squares in the clues for the left-most panel goes up by one. The timer stops right before the number of squares on the left-most panel hits 10, so, when there are 9, 9, and 7 orange squares/dots on the panels respectively. The timer ticks are synchronised with the music, so it moves at different rates.

To find a way through the maze and locate the triangle panels

look at the 4th panel after starting the Challenge. This is a replica of the maze, showing the dead ends and the triangle panels as orange dots. Just try to remember the shape of the line you drew to solve it. In this manner you will not waste time trying to navigate the maze.

Good luck!

So there's 2 panels in the maze? That'll be why I couldn't find a 3rd...

I'm really confused.. I thought I had all 11 lasers done, but apparently I'm missing one since there's this little metal piece blocking the bottom of the yellow box.

Just out of curiousity.. is this normal? How that one laser is just trailing off or..

12662463_10208348700064779_5509748121059

EDIT: Nvm yeah, I found out the issue.. lmao. I figured there was something wrong with that laser.

Edited by DuckSwimmer

I'm really confused.. I thought I had all 11 lasers done, but apparently I'm missing one since there's this little metal piece blocking the bottom of the yellow box.

Just out of curiousity.. is this normal? How that one laser is just trailing off or..

12662463_10208348700064779_5509748121059

They all need to be aimed up the mountain. Follow the path of the lone laser and you'll see how.

Quick yes/no question - can you get the trophies "Endgame" and "Challenge" in the same run? Or do I need to get one, then load a save to go for t'other?

I'm planning on having all lasers activated when I start up the mountain, so should have both open to me...

Yes, you can do one run. Nevertheless, long before you reach the Challenge (actually right when you can actively start your way to it) you are like 4 easy panels away from the endgame. You might as well just finish the game and then reload your save and continue. That's what I did.

Edited by yashtur

Just a thought, does the number of puzzles solved can be equal to the total amount of seconds added to the record player, let's say you have 400 puzzles solved, does that mean you have 400 seconds to solve the challenge?

Edit: Nvm it's not (I wish though)

Edited by Caliburst

Ooooh, I did it. There's a lot of luck involved, check out how simple my first pillar was (it actually stumped me) xD

Take a pic of the 4th puzzle, it's the layout of the maze (even though I still got lost on this run).

On the section of the 2x3 puzzles, look for puzzles with no opposite colours diagonally (they're easiest).

Double check your solutions, it's faster than having to go back and re-do.

• Like 2

Ooooh, I did it. There's a lot of luck involved, check out how simple my first pillar was (it actually stumped me) xD

Take a pic of the 4th puzzle, it's the layout of the maze (even though I still got lost on this run).

On the section of the 2x3 puzzles, look for puzzles with no opposite colours diagonally (they're easiest).

Double check your solutions, it's faster than having to go back and re-do.

Your video gives me some hope, it doesn't seem that bad as I expected it to be..

Damn, this challenge is tough. Mostly luck based in my opinion.

I had no chance to get past the maze for my first ~10 tries. Then i saw your video. I had never such simple puzzles on my attempts. One of your pillar puzzles was just lol.

After another 15-20 tries i finally got it. My advice: Try it again and again, at some time you might have luck and get puzzle you can solve fast enough.

Just two tips: Note your way through the maze (puzzle 4) and at the "one out of three" puzzle look for these elements:

post-75934-0-74508200-1454174891_thumb.png

That puzzle is not solvable, so take another one. In my runs at least one of the black and white puzzles (most times two) and sometimes one of the coloured ones can be excluded, saving much time.

Has anyone calculated the time you've got to complete it?

EDIT: Overall, the Challenge consists of 14 random panels: 10 of various themes, 2 triangles, and 2 pillars. The two tracks from Peer Gynt last around 6.15 minutes (375 seconds). Considering the time taken to move, that means you have approximately 20 seconds each. Fortunately the first 4 panels are quite easy and can be done all within the first 20 seconds. Still it is quite the brain marathon...

After a few tries you'll know how much time is left, if not you can use those three dark blue panels that are in any room as a clock.

Edited by bioxz