Challenge Trophy

PSX_Trepie

Damn, I'm really struggling with the challenge all of a sudden. Sometimes getting stuck on the three panels after the black and white panels. And then also getting stuck in the maze, not so much the maze itself, but more the panels in the maze.

Ever since I finished more of the environmental puzzles and completed more pillars, I am finding the challenge much more difficult for some reason. Maybe it's all in my head.

Previously when I only had 1 pillar completed, I was able to get all the way to the end of the maze or at least start one of the final two cylinders before the music ended. I found most of the panels relatively easy to solve.

Now that I've completed 5 pillars, I can barely make it to the start of the maze before music ends. Some how I feel that the panel difficulty ramped up.

I've even tried to "put the PS4 into Rest Mode" cheat method, but still battling but still somehow manage to run out of time.

Gonna try a few more times over the weekend.

Damn, I'm really struggling with the challenge all of a sudden. Sometimes getting stuck on the three panels after the black and white panels. And then also getting stuck in the maze, not so much the maze itself, but more the panels in the maze.

Ever since I finished more of the environmental puzzles and completed more pillars, I am finding the challenge much more difficult for some reason. Maybe it's all in my head.

Previously when I only had 1 pillar completed, I was able to get all the way to the end of the maze or at least start one of the final two cylinders before the music ended. I found most of the panels relatively easy to solve.

Now that I've completed 5 pillars, I can barely make it to the start of the maze before music ends. Some how I feel that the panel difficulty ramped up.

I've even tried to "put the PS4 into Rest Mode" cheat method, but still battling but still somehow manage to run out of time.

Gonna try a few more times over the weekend.

Wow, that would be quite the hidden mechanic if the more totems you completed, the harder the challenge got. Perhaps you're losing sight on how to solve the puzzles, since filling the totem poles doesn't really require you to solve any of the similar 'puzzles'?

Good Day

I have recently beaten the Challenge Mode in "The Witness". My biggest Problem was the maze. Some Triangle Puzzles in there, were quite confusing. To help you, I will add my solutions for the Triangle Puzzles below. Hopefully this will help somebody.

Yours Sincerely

I00_Brave_Wolves 

post-157119-0-64004000-1455721950_thumb.jpg

Edited by I00_Brave_Wolves
  • Like 1

I've read the article the last day and hours later tried out the challenge after a two weeks long break from the game. Some 40 minutes later I got through the challenge on the last second (the music stopped) ...

Afterwards I was happy to realize that I only put an hour maximum into the challenge. And I kinda don't agree with Stephen: the challenge was the same procedure for me, just figuring out how it works. And the puzzles themselves are quite easy.

The only thing that's different and frustrating is the randomizer. You kinda have to get lucky but as soon as I was in the groove I started to break off the music myself when the beginning was too weird/hard or taking too long.

But: I've found the the puzzles in the Town or the Bunker much more frustrating BECAUSE there was only one solution. So having the ability to choose or try out different versions of the same puzzle type was quite nice and refreshing.

Edited by eXeViuS
  • Like 1

I agree with you that most of the panels are not that difficult, but some just throw me for a loop. Last week I was trying the "cheat method" of taking a picture and putting the PS4 into Rest Mode. And the first panel in the maze area really stumped me and I was stuck on it for nearly 2 days.

I'm going to try legit a few more times this weekend. If I put the music on mute, then I usually do get a little bit further. If I still cannot get it this weekend, I'm going to try starting a brand new game and not solve any of the environmental puzzles and see if that changes anything. Hopefully it's all in my head, or hopefully playing the game from scratch will refresh my mind again to all the panels.

I remember one of the first few times I tried the challenge that the panels were so simple and I was sure I was going to beat it and I managed to get to the pillars in the final room. Then it just started to get harder and harder. Now I can't even get there.

I see a few people have requested share play sessions for help with the challenge. hehe

If you're having trouble with the triangles, try playing a bit of Slitherlink. The only difference between the two is that The Witness has you go from point-to-point, while Slitherlink makes you do a connected loop. If you're having trouble with the color pillar, the best way to do that is to look for a spot where you can go all the way up to the top, and then loop around whatever color's closer to the top. As for the hex pillar... Er... I don't really have anything for that aside from trying to mentally input the other point's hexes into the larger group.

• Like 1

Has anyone else watched the video on Giant Bomb where the guys are playing the game and discussing it with Johnathon Blow?

Great Video - and in it he does the challenge himself - he messes up twice and has to go back and repeat stuff both times, showing it can be done even with some failures with a good few seconds to spare.

A lot of interesting discussion too

Has anyone else watched the video on Giant Bomb where the guys are playing the game and discussing it with Johnathon Blow?

Great Video - and in it he does the challenge himself - he messes up twice and has to go back and repeat stuff both times, showing it can be done even with some failures with a good few seconds to spare.

A lot of interesting discussion too

Thanks for this.

Edited by DysectorZA

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know if they have recently patched the game? I tried putting my ps4 in rest mode and when ever i boot it back up I successfully resume my suspended game, but the music has stopped and the puzzles have reset. My game says it is version 1.02 in the information section but update history only has 1.01.

Does anyone know if they have recently patched the game? I tried putting my ps4 in rest mode and when ever i boot it back up I successfully resume my suspended game, but the music has stopped and the puzzles have reset. My game says it is version 1.02 in the information section but update history only has 1.01.

The latest patch (v 1.02) dropped a couple of months ago. From what I've heard, it has indeed removed the rest mode trick.

I'm afraid that if you want the Platinum, you're going to have to do it the proper way.

The latest patch (v 1.02) dropped a couple of months ago. From what I've heard, it has indeed removed the rest mode trick.

I'm afraid that if you want the Platinum, you're going to have to do it the proper way.

Darn it all. I used a guide for most of this game because after two sections I realized It really wasn't my thing, but I hate not completing games. This will go under the title "impossible plat" for me. Probably not worth the time and effort for a game I didn't really like.

• 1 month later...

Still tryna get this platinum. :/ 

Made it to the pillars a few times but just don't have enough time. I feel like I'm doing fine with the exception of the shapes one in the middle of the random 4, the colors, and then the triangle shapes. I'm pretty sure I've gone through every tip you can get at this point, it's just about skill now really. 

• 2 months later...

Just got the challenge trophy (on v1.02 so no rest mode tricks :D).

The challenge is really not that hard, it took me about an hour to get. Puzzles throughout the game were, in my opinion, much more difficult.

Some tips:

- In order to avoid spending too much time on this, when a one of the first puzzles took me too long, i would restart the challenge

- take a picture of the 4th puzzle (the maze with orange dots). Take it while the puzzle is unsolved.

- For the 4 puzzles in the cave, i do not have many tips, except that the puzzle with tetrominos are usually the hardest. I would accept to lose 30 second on those, but most of the time i restarted here. Some of the 'mirrored' maze are really weird, but in my experience, you'll always have to begin from the top right corner 

- after those, there are 2 "three-panels" puzzles. Two of them have no solutions, so you just have to complete one of them. Usually, you can easily know which ones do not have solutions. I can't really explain it to be honest, but for example, for the first ones, you should check how many blocks do touch a block of another colors. If there is too much blocks that touchs block of a different color, it usually means you would have to draw too much lines to separate them. For those puzzle, i would recommend to spend some time actually figuring out how you can quickly define if a puzzle will have a solution. I usually lost up to 1 minutes figuring out which one is doable and actually solve it.

- For the maze with "pop up panels", look at the picture you took on the 4th puzzle. You can now very easily define which way you can take, and where the puzzle will be... The yellow dots are where you can find the puzzles, and to know which route you can take, you just have to follow a road that you could draw on that picture. The puzzle themselves were the hardest one for me but again, nothing undoable :)

for the last two puzzles, i do not have any advices, since i beat them on my first try :P.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible...... 

To start the music box,

Immediately press start and load game (so it saves at that very point), then straight away close application.

Upload a cloud save.

Reload the game if failed.

I'm thinking is it possible that way, cuz then you could possibly have the exact same puzzle each time.

This type of solution can often work on other games.e.g. pacman, digdug etc

Is it possible...... 

To start the music box,

Immediately press start and load game (so it saves at that very point), then straight away close application.

Upload a cloud save.

Reload the game if failed.

I'm thinking is it possible that way, cuz then you could possibly have the exact same puzzle each time.

This type of solution can often work on other games.e.g. pacman, digdug etc

Quite interesting. I never thought of that.

Why don't you try it and let us know?

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure all the panels shut off and reset as soon as you pause the game with the Options button.

Yep, correct. Cloud save doesn't work.

I was hoping to get say a 1 in 14 chance of landing a fixed puzzle route, with like 4 youtube run throughs and just follow the selected one if it came up,

but i think each route randomises each puzzle panel rather than a fixed 6.30 min route right the way through

I will pay someone say... £3 via paypal if they do this for me through shareplay.

Edited by JohnDavies350

• 2 weeks later...

sorry it might have already been said but can't you delete the game and restart without downloading the patch - or does the patch coming already in with the download?

No you cannot delete / remove the patch. Digital downloads do not allow this unfortunately.

Yea i am stuck on this trophy as wel if there is anyone able to help me with it :D

Hehe...you'll just have to keep trying. It took me a while.