Fallout 4 first dlc's revealed and season pass price increase

TheLoneliestPanda

So today we got the first look at the first few dlc for fallout 4. They also stated the season pass will be increased in price on March 1st, your thoughts on this?

Link below to official post

https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/fallout-4-add-ons-automatron-wasteland-workshop-far-harbor-and-more/2016/02/16/77

FO4_Add-On_Pack_v8-auto_1000.jpg

FO4_Add-On_Pack_wasteland_workshop_1000.

FO4_Add-On_Pack_far_harbor_1000.jpg

• Like 1

I got the SP when I got the game, I think it's bullshit they're putting the price up. £20 for a DLC pack, which a few years ago would have cost £12? Hell, I still think £25 for a SP is BS. But that's the normal price these days. Unless you're EA and like charging £60 for them.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm having a "cynical bastard" day, but the SP price increase stinks of creating a sense of urgency to drive sales at the current price. 

Now they tell us that they have plans for more DLC than originally envisaged... But we have no way of knowing what was originally envisaged to check against, do we?

Speaking of being a cynical bastard, I think it's amusing that the general internet consensus consists of Fallout fans giving the token "In theory this is bullshit", but then they're spinning it into something positive by saying you're getting more stuff and that there's plenty of notice. It's like watching Fox News anchors at work, or that tapdance vocal Apple supporters have to do every time their favorite company is found doing something evil.

• Like 1

Games developed by Bethesda tend to get GOTY editions eventually. I'll just rent that out when it inevitably comes.

I can't help but feel this was their plan all along though, to get people to quickly buy up the DLC before it reaches an unreasonable price.

They didn't get any award las year so no Goty edition for a while

It is a bit disappointing that they're increasing the season pass price, but seeing as how I know I will get my moneys worth for it still, and that the developers are making their intent clear, instead of making the season pass outrageously priced from the start and not creating enough content to make it worth it, I don't have much of a problem with it.

Or maybe I'm just a blind fanboy and should be angry even though the circumstances for this is different to circumstances players have been angry about in the past, and my non-hatred for this somehow invalidates my criticism for other games that have had much worst business practices than this.

or maybe they could come out tomorrow and say the the season pass will be $200 and I'd still buy it because I'm a dirty trophy whore and I'll need the stupid trophies to keep 100% :(

• Like 2

Hey everyone!

I have an exciting new product for you!

It's called, The Mystery Box

What's in The Mystery Box you ask? Why, that's what's special about it. You don't know yet. In fact, I'm not 100% certain either, I'm still deciding what to put in it (but I am working to a design brief, promise).

Whatever goes into The Mystery Box, it'll be killer, and "more of the same" when stood next to that thing you already like, just with a few twists to keep things fresh. 

And, as an extra bonus, I've decided that I'm going to expand The Mystery Box. So you'll get even more stuff! (Because of this, I'm going to have to increase the price. Anyone who buys The Mystery Box now can do so for £25, but if you buy after 1 March 2016, it'll cost £40. So buy now to get access to the expanded Mystery Box for the current price.)

So if you already liked what went into The Base Box, I urge you to buy The Mystery Box and continue to enjoy that thing you already like!

• Like 3

^The Boat is like a game that has released and been reviewed, has good word of mouth, etc. I.e. You know what you're getting into and that you will like it a lot.

The Mystery Box is like a Season Pass (pre-release of any DLC) or a locked-in pre-order; every time you buy either you are running the risk of ending up like Peter Griffin.

Edited by StrickenBiged
  • Like 1

Adding more content than what was previously reported justifies the price increase. The fact that they are retaining the price through February and have acknowledged the price increase well in advance shows the company cares about its consumer base and does not want them to be blindsided. Everyone saying its BS that they are raising the price, I have to assume do not understand that rule #1 of a business is to make money. If you really want to hold them accountable then research their individual cash flows, how much money is profit versus R&D, Production, Manufacturing and Distribution costs. Again for those that are complaining about the price increase, I would have to assume that this research has already been done and it has been exposed that greedy Bethesda is just stealing from its gamers to line its own pockets with profits. Try thinking with the glass half full and see the positive in this announcement. If you cannot afford to spend the 30 bucks now or the 50 later then wait for the GOTY edition to come out.. most likely next year! 

• Like 2

Maybe I'm having a "cynical bastard" day, but the SP price increase stinks of creating a sense of urgency to drive sales at the current price. 

Now they tell us that they have plans for more DLC than originally envisaged... But we have no way of knowing what was originally envisaged to check against, do we?

Not cynical, my first thought was the same thing.

Content is meant to reduce in price, not increase. It was bullshit when Dying Light did it and as much as I loved Fallout 4, it's still bullshit. Maybe if they were adding another two DLC packs, it "might" be acceptable. The Witcher 3 is the best example of paid DLC done right. Shame no ones taken it on board.

Looks like I'll be waiting for the Ultimate Edition.

Edited by MattyH16

Every DLC ever released by Bethesda on Sony systems has caused the entire game to go to complete and total shit. Fallout 3 worked... somewhat fine at first, but the DLC just crippled it. The GOTY edition is practically unplayable and should not be allowed to be sold. New Vegas, though not Bethesda, was the exact same way. Skyrim was an epic disaster on PS3 for months and months with their DLC.

If you're asking practically full MSRP of a retail game ($50), it better be close to a full retail game without any issues. I have a feeling they're riding the coattail of their own fame and success and realize that the Bethesda fans will buy whatever they shovel on a plate regardless of value or if it even works.