Naughty Dog Remove Doughnut Drake From Uncharted 4

...Game: Uncharted 4

Donut Drake—Naughty Dog's plus-sized protagonist skin—won't appear in Uncharted 4: A Thief's End.

In previous games, players could unlock the overweight model, whose voice is also a lot deeper than Drake's normally is. And the character was originally in series' final game, but Naughty Dog ultimately decided to pull the skin.

"I didn't want to have a laugh at someone's expense," Neil Druckmann, creative director at Naughty Dog, told GamesRadar. "I thought we'd matured beyond that."

Internally, the team had a "big debate," approaching the subject from "all kinds of angles." After having "the whole thing modeled and in there," the developers at Naughty Dog decided they "weren't comfortable having it in [their] game."

Uncharted 4 will release May 10 for PlayStation 4. Earlier this week, IGN spoke with Druckmann at an Uncharted 4: A Thief's End gameplay event, and said it was important for Drake to "leave his mark" on the game. Naughty Dog had a "'go big or go home' kind of mentality" when designing the game.

The above text is from the latest in shit-stirring media (this quote in particular is courtesy of IGN), and I felt it worth posting for the following reasons;

• The team had a big debate.  Big.
  • Drake to "leave his mark".  Impression.  Ass impression.
  • Naughty Dog had a go big or go home mentality.  So they're going home.

If this was posted a couple of days ago, I would have laughed and clapped at the very, very clever April Fool's joke.  Now, I'm just saddened both by so many media outlets grabbing this massive news story (because its Uncharted 4  and the traffic pays the bills is the obvious motivator) but more so that they're scared of having this.

I mean, is fatness offensive now?  Why have black people in your game as an unlockable skin?  Women? Asian people?  Get rid of them, they're offensive.  Keep my white male character with white male side characters please.

Seriously, the act of having a skin of a fat version of a character is offensive?  Holy shit.  

The discussion I would like here is:  Are you offended by fat people?  Is the act of being able to play as a fat person offensive?  Are you fat?  Are you offended when you look in the mirror?  Will you phone Sony to complain that you are fat?  Are you offended by the word fat?  

Is variably sized the incoming new PC term?

Edited by LastPisTolman

Unfortunately that's the nature of the current day internet. Devs are too scared to do anything without a minority getting butthurt over nothing. I've said it many a time, people are way too easily offended nowadays. It's a shame.

I don't play UC and won't be getting 4, but for God sake, it's a laugh, just put it in there, it won't affect sales much if at all.

As a fat girl this offends me why can't we get a fat Elana 

i never found being fat or being shamed for being fat offencive 

tbh i did purposely get fat for a ex boyfriend  but still 

im not mad just dissapointed 

first tracers bum bum now this

Edited by Fastandslow
  • Like 3

First off, I'm not really big on the word "fat". I prefer the term "overweight". But that's just me. just because they decided not to add a character that is overweight doesn't automatically mean they hate people who are overweight in general. They probably just thought it wasn't an important piece of the puzzle. This is what I just think; I don't really know the answer. 

I thought it was funny. I'm fat, but not offended to play as a fat person in my games. I was hoping they'd bring Donut Drake back. That's too bad. :( People are so damn afraid of offending something and are too obsessed with being politically correct.

Fear of things is what creates social awkwardness which breeds segregation.  If we're so petrified to acknowledge a physical characteristic it stifles interactions before they even start.  We become more worried about offending someone than actually having a conversation and end up never bothering.

Uh, I'm still just stunned that people are making a big fuss about this. Donut Drake being pulled is fine and dandy from my point of view. This thread makes it seem like it's vital to the Uncharted experience somehow. LOL!

It's worthy of a fuss because its a scary precedent to set.  Fat is a human characteristic, and having a fat skin is offering no commentary.  It is the same as having Tuxedo Drake or Wetsuit Drake.  If you put blackface Drake in there, maybe we can have a chat.

Please point me to the bit where it says Donuts is instrumental to the series.

Unfortunately that's the nature of the current day internet. Devs are too scared to do anything without a minority getting butthurt over nothing. I've said it many a time, people are way too easily offended nowadays. It's a shame.

I don't play UC and won't be getting 4, but for God sake, it's a laugh, just put it in there, it won't affect sales much if at all.

And in doing so now a giant spotlight is shone upon something that was never an issue.  I've just replayed the Nathan Drake Collection and I have three trophies celebrating my speed as a fat Drake.

Ohh well, Neil Druckmann is a social justice warrior anyway, so I can't say I'm surprised. 

I had no idea that was the case, and it saddens me that someone of such apparent intelligence can be incredibly stupid.

As a fat girl this offends me why can't we get a fat Elana 

i never found being fat or being shamed for being fat offencive 

tbh i did purposely get fat for a ex boyfriend  but still 

im not mad just dissapointed 

first tracers bum bum now this

You could in previous games :)

Before this inevitably gets out of hand, I'd like to point out that the main point of the removal wasn't because "fat is offensive." The point was that laughing at Drake, or the idea of overweight people being a source of humour, is insensitive and was the reason it was removed.

The point of comedy is being able to laugh at anything.  Nothing is off limits if done tastefully.

Now even PSN Profiles has clickbait threads, great...

For the conversation I would like to have, yes.  PSNProfiles also has pointless replies from high and mighties but there you go.

First off, I'm not really big on the word "fat". I prefer the term "overweight". But that's just me. just because they decided not to add a character that is overweight doesn't automatically mean they hate people who are overweight in general. They probably just thought it wasn't an important piece of the puzzle. This is what I just think; I don't really know the answer. 

Why, should we call skinny people underweight?  It's a factual descriptor - should we remove it from the lexicon?  I'm genuinely interested in your perspective here.

If anything, over or under is potentially more offensive because opinion is hinted at within it.

Edited by LastPisTolman
  • Like 2

I doubt many people would have been offended if they had actually kept him in, but i understand and respect the reason. It's not that they don't want a fat character in their game and it's not that they think having a fat character in their game is offensive either. It's just that in this case, the guy being fat was the entire joke. Look, he's comically fat, haha. I don't think this is about avoiding any negative backlash, they just didn't think the joke was all that great to begin with and kept it out.

If you think that Donut Drake was a representative of the overweight community rather than a joke character you're lying to yourself.

Also geez, could you perhaps structure that title just a little less click-baity?

• Like 3

Are people really offended at this? Surely they would've been more offended at giving the skin a derogatory name like Donut Drake. Or more sensibly, don't be offended at all

i might rename my self on this site to Donut Lisa for a bit out of protest ha ha 

• Like 1

I feel like this is a shitpost OP, I think this 'anti-sjw' shit is just as bad as the sjw stereotype itself. Donut Drake was a 2 minute gag, and now people are typing out full blown tumblr rants about it. Theres a difference between wanting to be 'safe' and being tasteful, and Donut Drake was neither. There wasnt a fat Joel in The Last of Us, because ND have matured.

• Like 3

Wait you can do fat elena??? how did i miss this ha ha 

Actually I take it back.  I'm in 3 at the moment, and I saw a load of characters able to be enlargened and assumed Elena.

The list:

Sully, Carter, Salim, Rameses, Eddy, Lazarevic.  The thing missing?  A female.  Naughty Dog says: no fat chicks.  Bizarre.  Isn't that actually more offensive?

I doubt many people would have been offended if they had actually kept him in, but i understand and respect the reason. It's not that they don't want a fat character in their game and it's not that they think having a fat character in their game is offensive either. It's just that in this case, the guy being fat was the entire joke. Look, he's comically fat, haha. I don't think this is about avoiding any negative backlash, they just didn't think the joke was all that great to begin with and kept it out.

If you think that Donut Drake was a representative of the overweight community rather than a joke character you're lying to yourself.

Also geez, could you perhaps structure that title just a little less click-baity?

What's wrong with that being a joke?  It's the same as Sir Francis Drake skin being a skeleton.  Is that offensive because it's disrespecting the dead?

Before this inevitably gets out of hand, I'd like to point out that the main point of the removal wasn't because "fat is offensive." The point was that laughing at Drake, or the idea of overweight people being a source of humour, is insensitive and was the reason it was removed.

Couldn't say it any better myself. :)

To try to add to the conversation, obesity is also considered a disease in some cases and making fun of this is a big no-no. Though this just proves how much more oversensitive this generation is compared to the previous one.

I feel like this is a shitpost OP, I think this 'anti-sjw' shit is just as bad as the sjw stereotype itself. Donut Drake was a 2 minute gag, and now people are typing out full blown tumblr rants about it. Theres a difference between wanting to be 'safe' and being tasteful, and Donut Drake was neither. There wasnt a fat Joel in The Last of Us, because ND have matured.

The Last of Us is completely different.  Its a serious, post apocalyptic harrowing story.

Uncharted is pulpy, comedic adventure romp.

If you feel that way, that's fine - my main commentary is why they felt the need to do a press release.  Just release the game, don't publicly state how much you've grown by saying you're above such things.  Say nothing about it.  Instead it reeks of a shining knight complex.

I honestly wouldn't have even noticed if they (Bluepoint) hadn't made me use him for a trophy.

Edited by LastPisTolman
  • Like 2

Actually I take it back.  I'm in 3 at the moment, and I saw a load of characters able to be enlargened and assumed Elena.

The list:

Sully, Carter, Salim, Rameses, Eddy, Lazarevic.  The thing missing?  A female.  Naughty Dog says: no fat chicks.  Bizarre.  Isn't that actually more offensive?

What's wrong with that being a joke?  It's the same as Sir Francis Drake skin being a skeleton.  Is that offensive because it's disrespecting the dead?

It's not offensive, it's just kindergarten levels of humor. The devs chose not to have the same level of jokes of a 12 year old with a fatbooth app and i can go on with my life knowing that.

• Like 1

The Last of Us is completely different.  Its a serious, post apocalyptic harrowing story.

Uncharted is pulpy, comedic adventure romp.

If you feel that way, that's fine - my main commentary is why they felt the need to do a press release.  Just release the game, don't publicly state how much you've grown by saying you're above such things.  Say nothing about it.  Instead it reeks of a shining knight complex.

I honestly wouldn't have even noticed if they (Bluepoint) hadn't made me use him for a trophy.

i do see the look at us we did a good 

if anything they made it worse 

say nothing no one would have known 

lets be nice to fat people na fuck that m8 

It's not offensive, it's just kindergarten levels of humor. The devs chose not to have the same level of jokes of a 12 year old with a fatbooth app and i can go on with my life knowing that.

But they did.  They just omitted a female fat skin.  Did you read what I put?  They have fat Sully, Fat Rameses etc.

Why, should we call skinny people underweight?  It's a factual descriptor - should we remove it from the lexicon?  I'm genuinely interested in your perspective here.

If anything, over or under is potentially more offensive because opinion is hinted at within it.

I'm not saying we should call skinny people underweight. Skinny people are skinny people; leave it at that. From my experience, people who are fat, overweight, chunky (call it what you will) seem to be highly offended when described as "fat" but seem to be OK when referred to as "overweight". This is what I have discovered. I don't know any of the math behind it. I understand that calling someone overweight can be as offensive (or even more offensive) then calling someone fat but I've grown to learn that it mainly depends on the person; I just encounter more people who prefer the word overweight being used than fat.