Naughty Dog Remove Doughnut Drake From Uncharted 4

I played a level with Donut Drake one or twice and thought it amusing and just fun seeing him do these amazing jumps and stunts. I never really played with Donut Drake again after that, but I appreciated the idea that Naughty Dog had some fun with their unlockables, it reminded me of the PS1 days like where you could play as Spyro in all those different skins - plus he seemed to be a well liked unlockable by gamers because I always saw him all over the place over the years. I was also always surprised there was never some borderline parody article by a Polygon or Kotaku writer talking about how they were "sooo offended".

It's unfortunate to see them worrying about offending people, but what do you expect, society is so coddled and offended at everything these days I'm not surprised. Oh well, maybe it will be replaced where you can play as him with a different color t-shirt! That won't offend anyone, right? Right? I'm happy the industry still has people like Kojima who just does whatever he wants in his game, doesn't care about offense culture, and has fun with his creations

• Like 2

Then i am in the wrong and the joke is still shit.

There I can agree with you.

I played a level with Donut Drake one or twice and thought it amusing and just fun seeing him do these amazing jumps and stunts. I never really played with Donut Drake again after that, but I appreciated the idea that Naughty Dog had some fun with their unlockables, it reminded me of the PS1 days like where you could play as Spyro in all those different skins - plus he seemed to be a well liked unlockable by gamers because I always saw him all over the place over the years. I was also always surprised there was never some borderline parody article by a Polygon or Kotaku writer talking about how they were "sooo offended".

It's unfortunate to see them worrying about offending people, but what do you expect, society is so coddled and offended at everything these days I'm not surprised. Oh well, maybe it will be replaced where you can play as him with a different color t-shirt! That won't offend anyone, right? Right? I'm happy the industry still has people like Kojima who just does whatever he wants in his game, doesn't care about offense culture, and has fun with his creations

Exactly, thank you.

Naughty Dog have reacted to something that requires no reaction.

The potential long lasting "damage" of this can extend far beyond this.  Now ND have shone a light on "we think it's wrong for fat to be a joke", and they are a very high profiles developer, it will make smaller developers especially nervous when approaching anything towards enlarged humans.

This creates a new social barrier in my opinion and that's extremely irresponsible.

And yes, I hope that the people not scared to push the boundary continue to do so.  The day that everything is on the table, we can laugh at everything and everyone in good nature is the day we have true integration of everybody.

This creates, or celebrates, another divide.

Edited by LastPisTolman
  • Like 1

I'm not sure what's more amusing: that people would be offended by a joke that's obviously coming from people with the mindset of a 12 year old, or the delicious irony of people who are offended that people are being mindful that there are possibly people who would be offended by a joke that's obviously coming from people with the mindset of a 12 year old.

• Like 1

Naughty Dog have reacted to something that requires no reaction.

But they didn't "react" to anything. They didn't remove it because people were offended or because they were afraid of people being offended. They removed it because *they* didn't want the joke in there, and there's nothing wrong with that.

It doesn't affect the quality of the game *at all*. How can people actually make a big deal out of this? This is just as annoying as people who actually get offended at stuff like this.

Edited by NathanielJohn
  • Like 4

I'm not sure what's more amusing: that people would be offended by a joke that's obviously coming from people with the mindset of a 12 year old, or the delicious irony of people who are offended that people are being mindful that there are possibly people who would be offended by a joke that's obviously coming from people with the mindset of a 12 year old.

Why you make my brain hurt

Always depressing to see devs removing things from their games because they're scared of the backlash they will receive. People are way too easily offended these days. If you get offended by a piece of fiction, you're a moron, but you know what? You're entitled to your own opinion. Just don't feel the need to share it on the internet please. Thanks.

But they didn't "react" to anything. They didn't remove it because people were offended or because they were afraid of people being offended. They removed it because *they* didn't want the joke in there, and there's nothing wrong with that.

It doesn't affect the quality of the game *at all*. How can people actually make a big deal out of this? This is just as annoying as people who actually get offended at stuff like this.

I'm sorry, but if they put the man hours in to creating the art assets and having it present in the game, they have reacted to something to put more effort into removing.

It is not conducive to first create something and then remove it.  If they said it was not part of their design doc then fair enough.

And who mentioned quality of the game?

Door number three: it's more amusing people implying elevation above a topic by commentating on the equally common perspective of the nature of offence itself.

Edited by LastPisTolman

It is not conducive to first create something and then remove it.  If they said it was not part of their design doc then fair enough.

But... doesn't that happen all the time in games? Something gets planned out, created, and then for whatever reason pulled, regardless of how far along it was completed?

Door number three: it's more amusing people implying elevation above a topic by commentating on the equally common perspective of the nature of offence itself.

Door number 4: Implying elevation over the elevation by making such a comment while being the one who dragged the discourse into the weeds by starting the topic in the first place. I can't have so much delicious irony at this time of day. I'll spoil my dinner.

Edited by damon8r351

Thats offensive!! Thats racist!! Thats sexist!! Thats blasphemes!! Wheres the female protagonist!! This grass doesn't look as good as the trailer!!

The current gaming generation. I would be more surprised if  no one complained about it. 

Edited by Gibbo_0113
  • Like 1

But... doesn't that happen all the time in games? Something gets planned out, created, and then for whatever reason pulled, regardless of how far along it was completed?

But the developers don't make a statement stating how fantastically mature they are afterwards.  It smacks of hubris.

Edited by LastPisTolman
  • Like 1

I'm sorry, but if they put the man hours in to creating the art assets and having it present in the game, they have reacted to something to put more effort into removing.

Things are created and then scrapped in games *all the time*. FF15 was basically ditched and re-created from the ground up after 7 years of development. What that a "reaction" to people too? There is an entire wiki devoted to cataloguing stuff that was developed for games and then cut before the final release. Acting like Donut Drake is special at all in this regard is absurd.

Also, while I'm doing this...

my main commentary is why they felt the need to do a press release.  Just release the game, don't publicly state how much you've grown by saying you're above such things.  Say nothing about it.  Instead it reeks of a shining knight complex.

They *didn't* issue a press release about this -- where on earth did you get that? GamesRadar, an independent website that has nothing to do with Naughty Dog, wrote an article about this, presumably based on an interview where *they* asked him about it. Naughty Dog didn't go around banging drums and shouting this from the rooftops -- gaming media did.

But the developers don't make a statement stating how fantastically mature they are afterwards.

...So what if it smacks of hubris? What does them making a statement have to do with whether or not the actively chose to remove something? Plenty of people get a kick out of those few creators who act like their hot shit all the time.

I'm fairly positive that there have been many things in games prior that have been dummied out due to a personal opinion that the content might not fly with people. How does keeping it to themselves make it more credible?

Edited by RedRodriguez87

Things are created and then scrapped in games *all the time*. FF15 was basically ditched and re-created from the ground up after 7 years of development. What that a "reaction" to people too? There is an entire wiki devoted to cataloguing stuff that was developed for games and then cut before the final release. Acting like Donut Drake is special at all in this regard is absurd.

Also, while I'm doing this...

They *didn't* issue a press release about this -- where on earth did you get that? GamesRadar, an independent website that has nothing to do with Naughty Dog, wrote an article about this, presumably based on an interview where *they* asked him about it. Naughty Dog didn't go around banging drums and shouting this from the rooftops -- gaming media did.

You're talking about completely different motives now in a completely different context.  If you can't see how scrapping a game because its fundamentally garbage is different to removing something that might gather potential backlash your vision is very misaligned.

Why say anything?  Games Radar is know to be a a press outlet.  How do they know Donut Drake isn't there?  Do they have spies?  Did Neil have to say anything?

...So? What does them making a statement have to do with whether or not the actively chose to remove something?

I'm fairly positive that there have been many things in games prior that have been dummied out due to a personal opinion that the content might not fly with people. How does keeping it to themselves make it more credible?

Because then the motivation is purely for taste's sake.

What is more credible?

1. An anonymous donation to a hospital.

2. A donation to a hospital by the same person, but they use it as part of their press drive in their upcoming new business venture?

Edited by LastPisTolman

Because then the motivation is purely for taste's sake.

What is more credible?

1. An anonymous donation to a hospital.

2. A donation to a hospital by the same person, but they use it as part of their press drive in their upcoming new business venture?

Well, obviously. They found it in their own opinion to be in poor taste. My original point doesn't change.

Both are credible, because both made their own choice to be anonymous/a promotional stunt. 

I don't see what the harm would have been. I haven't played them but I thought the Donut Drake was funny. Especially since everywhere Drake goes in Uncharted 2 it breaks apart. People really need to lighten up (pun sort of intended).