Nintendo might be setting up for $70 US games.

Daniel_Shadow170

https://my.nintendo.com/missions

Link says

"$70.00 or more downloadable game purchase"

Now why would that be there when nintendo has never had $70 dollar games? Unless of course the NX base is $70 this is all speculation but you'll be seeing this news on the major sites in the morning.

I think you are jumping the gun. Ubisoft "Gold" titles usually cost $80 due to the season pass coming with the purchase.

60 USD retail translates to 100 AUD retail. 

I would not be paying 116 dollars for a game in a million years.

Well I probably would actually, because in a million years a hundred bucks might be the equivalent of 5 bucks nowadays, there you go Nintendo, in a million years I'll pay 70 bucks for your games.

Edited by Super-Fly Spider-Guy
  • Like 3

Ahh wow, that sounds fantastic. 

I love it when the service stays the same but you pay more for it anyway! :) 

Seriously though I don't think they're gonna charge $70 for games... if they did, I'd literally just buy their games used on Ebay just to spite them. :D 

You either give me a good deal, or you don't get any money at all. 

does any one remember the SNES time when a brand new game would be sold for $70+, yes there were some that cost less. i remember getting Dracula X, Demon's Crest and Chrono Trigger all brand new were 69.99$ each. though that could have been location based.

the biggest difference was the cartridges cost more to make and this is digital which should in essence cost less.

Edited by DarkHarmonixer

I don't know just seems odd to have that option. I mean it is about time prices went up but i didn't/don't think nintendo is in a position to try this.

Hell no. Games are expensive enough as it is. I make minimum wage, and with living expenses/taxes I can barely afford to preorder games with their current prices.

• Like 1

Hell no. Games are expensive enough as it is. I make minimum wage, and with living expenses/taxes I can barely afford to preorder games with their current prices.

Depending on where you live, minimum wage isn't too bad. Some states just raised theirs $15/hr with more to follow. Assuming you aren't lucky enough to be in one of those states though.

Depending on where you live, minimum wage isn't too bad. Some states just raised theirs $15/hr with more to follow. Assuming you aren't lucky enough to be in one of those states though.

In the places in the US where minimum wage has already risen to around $15 (Generally, *cities* have risen their minimum wage, *states* plan to raise theirs over a period of years, not all at once) the cost of living is absurdly high. These are places where a 1200 square foot 2 bedroom 1 bath house would go for $500,000 or more. $15 there goes about as far as much less in other places.

That said, the only reason games haven't risen to $70, keeping up with inflationary pricing according to the $50-70 game I bought in the 80's/90's is now they don't have to. I was making $4.25 an hour and buying $50 games. Now they can sell DLC packs and all kinds of add-ons to increase their margins. I'm not familiar with Wii U, but I don't think the Wii had a lot of DLC for their games that the developers could recoup more money.

I wouldn't have any problem with games coming out at $70+. They tend to drop in price after a few months and I have enough in my backlog to get caught up on anyway. Let the people who have to be the first to own and play video games pay much more. It's not like ALL new titles come out at that price.

Hell yeah SNES games were $80. 90% of the games I played on that system were rentals or bought used. My parents could only be convinced to buy a brand new SNES game if they knew I wasn't going to finish it in a couple days, and only then as a Christmas gift, which is why nearly all of them were RPGs if they were bought new.