Would you buy a Playstation VR after what they did to the Vita?

Gil_Godlike

Short answer: Nope.

Long(er) answer: Definitely not. Not only is it something that I couldn't see myself using (sure I would be interested in trying it out but, as with the Move, once the initial intrigue wears off you're left with a gimmick, a VERY expensive one too) but also Sony simply can't be trusted now to see through anything that strays from their core business (home consoles and video game publishing).

Even then, Sony cant be trusted. Other than the PS4 which they lucked out, their business practices the past few years have been suspect. I dont know if they are run by morons or just that they are doing well and just dont care cause with the video game industry, its them or Microsoft.

I for one hope if VR takes off it does not become the norm. I'm disabled and VR's focus on movement would make gaming inaccessible to me if this is the route the industry takes. Personally I can't see it taking off as peripherals never do well. I can't think of a single one that has. The expansion pack for the N64 maybe?

As for the 'failure' of the vita, i think it hasn't done well as everybody already has a device for mobile gaming in their phones. Nintendo does well in that regard as mobile phones weren't so prevalent when they got in the game. Eventually they'll fall foul of it too

Edited by Cleggworth

Even then, Sony cant be trusted. Other than the PS4 which they lucked out, their business practices the past few years have been suspect. I dont know if they are run by morons or just that they are doing well and just dont care cause with the video game industry, its them or Microsoft.

Ah had a feeling you had a specific reason for the topic and their it is. Sony is a business the main goal is and I know this might shock a few people to make money.

To all the naysayers I only have one thing to say, don't talk until you try it, once you do and if you still think it's not worth it then so be it, but until you try for yourself you're in no position to say anything, trust me, you don't know how it is until you experience it for yourself, no words can describe the felling, you're not playing a game anymore, you're living it. The thing manages to screw with your senses in a way you actually feel things that aren't real, it's kinda scary in a way, but so totally worth it.

• Like 1

Ah had a feeling you had a specific reason for the topic and their it is. Sony is a business the main goal is and I know this might shock a few people to make money.

Here is a bigger shock. We know. Given their recent business model, they wont make money on this.

To all the naysayers I only have one thing to say, don't talk until you try it, once you do and if you still think it's not worth it then so be it, but until you try for yourself you're in no position to say anything, trust me, you don't know how it is until you experience it for yourself, no words can describe the felling, you're not playing a game anymore, you're living it. The thing manages to screw with your senses in a way you actually feel things that aren't real, it's kinda scary in a way, but so totally worth it.

No thanks. Especially if I have to buy a PS4.5 to run it. Just bought a PS4 in October.

I can't see big studios making big games for the VR.

I'm not sure this is entirely correct. Could they not add an option for this, like use it to look around. Add some extra features for those who has it, without it taking a lot away from those who doesn't?

I for one hope if VR takes off it does not become the norm. I'm disabled and VR's focus on movement would make gaming inaccessible to me if this is the route the industry takes. Personally I can't see it taking off as peripherals never do well. I can't think of a single one that has. The expansion pack for the N64 maybe?

As for the 'failure' of the vita, i think it hasn't done well as everybody already has a device for mobile gaming in their phones. Nintendo does well in that regard as mobile phones weren't so prevalent when they got in the game. Eventually they'll fall foul of it too

Successful peripherals, I guess you gotta place it in comparison to cost of creating the product?

• Expansion pack for N64
  • Memory Cards for PS1 and PS2
  • Guitar Hero Guitars
  • Microphones
  • Dance pads (though niche)
  • Multi tap for PS1
  • NES Lightgun
  • FightPads
  • Racing Wheel
  • Gameshark/Action Replay/Game Genie etc
  • Joypad and other controllers for PC

Maybe Nintendo can make an awful idea like the Wii U but they stick to it to the end and their fans love it. Sony, on the other hand drops mostly everything that isn't an instant success for them. It wasn't just the Vita but also the PS Eye and the PS Move as well. I'm going to assume that PSVR will end up in that same pile.

And the 3D Display, Playstation TV, PSPGo etc etc etc.

VR will be like any new tech. There will be a couple of big games that come out for it at the start but after a year if sales aren't insane support will fall and fall and we will eventually just get the yearly release of Just Dance to support it.

It only makes sense. Let's say VR sells a Million Units. Now if I am EA why would I spend tons of my own money to develop a game for a peripheral that only 1 million out of 22 million own? I am killing my sales because it isn't like all 1 million will buy my game...maybe only half buy my game.

So the only way something will be developed if Sony pays EA to develop a game for it or Sony just does it on its own.

This is why this stuff doesn't work. It is why the Wii had 10000 shovel ware games and 1st Party games by Nintendo. It was too expensive for another company to put the time and effort into making a game that works with the Wiis unique controls that it wouldn't justify the sales they would get.

I know there are some people that are excited for VR but for the Cost and track record of this stuff...it won't last a year.

2. If the PSVR flops then it flops. Imagine a world where no-one ever tried anything new in fear that it might not work... America still wouldn't have been discovered !

You do know there were people living here before Columbus came. I guess a better way of putting it is "imagine a world where a man didn't come that led to the genocide of hundreds of thousands of people"...not as catchy ^_^

• Like 2

You do know there were people living here before Columbus came. I guess a better way of putting it is "imagine a world where a man didn't come that led to the genocide of hundreds of thousands of people"...not as catchy ^_^

Who's to say what would have happened if Columbus didn't discover America. 9/10 were killed by germs, which we had little to no knowledge of at the time.

Edited by MMDE

Who's to say what would have happened if Columbus didn't discover America. 9/10 were killed by germs, which we had little to no knowledge of at the time.

9/10 seems a little high but even if that is true  it was germs that were introduced by Europeans coming to America.

But regardless, I just don't like hyperbole of people using Columbus discovering America as a way of "nothing venture nothing gained" as he wasn't the first to come here.

I'm not sure this is entirely correct. Could they not add an option for this, like use it to look around. Add some extra features for those who has it, without it taking a lot away from those who doesn't?

No. For VR games they have to completely rebuild the whole game using 3D assets everywhere, then render it twice and it's a long process. A lot of the time with just normal games, they use a lot of 2D assets and it would look like crap if you just stuck a VR headset on for a normal game.

Let's keep the politics out of it. I'm sure the bulk of the E3 will be about the PSVR. It will wow and amaze I'm sure. It will come out and most likely sell a decent amount at first as most gimmicky devices. But when the smoke clears and cooler heads prevail, that will be its highlight because it will mostly appeal to those who have the bucks and those into niche things. Just won't have the mass appeal to be a long term success.

I've pre-ordered 2! (one will be sold to family or friends) because of its ability to play any ps4 game(though there's probably plenty you don't want to in vr) it really openee up the possibilities beyond vive or oculus! And unlike the vita, they'll actually be selling each unit at a profit! I expect great things down the line, but we won't make it that far if no one buys! That's when it becomes the vita :(

Still not sold on VR for the home environment, I feel it has a place as an emerging technology in therapy and other situations but in terms of gaming it feels like motion controllers or home 3d tv a few years back, a bit of a fad.

The idea of getting IMAX level of film screen sounds good, but after trying out the Occulus and almost buying a ticket on the vomit train I'm not ordering any VR yet.

No. For VR games they have to completely rebuild the whole game using 3D assets everywhere, then render it twice and it's a long process. A lot of the time with just normal games, they use a lot of 2D assets and it would look like crap if you just stuck a VR headset on for a normal game.

That doesn't mean they can't make the game for VR and have the option to play without. Add VR exclusive features for certain things.

That doesn't mean they can't make the game for VR and have the option to play without. Add VR exclusive features for certain things.

They basically have to build the game twice though, it's gonna take a lot of time and money and I doubt big companies are gonna make near enough money back if they were to make actual proper games for the VR, rather than just cheap experiences. Sure it could be done, but I don't think it'd be profitable.

To your point, maybe that's possible, maybe not. I'm not sure, seems like it would have to be more than a simple switch of an option to make the game VR. It would probably have to be a separate entity. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see it.  It's essentially a peripheral and no peripheral has ever succeeded, sure they've had their time, but ultimately they all die out pretty quickly.

They basically have to build the game twice though, it's gonna take a lot of time and money and I doubt big companies are gonna make near enough money back if they were to make actual proper games for the VR, rather than just cheap experiences. Sure it could be done, but I don't think it'd be profitable.

To your point, maybe that's possible, maybe not. I'm not sure, seems like it would have to be more than a simple switch of an option to make the game VR. It would probably have to be a separate entity. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see it.  It's essentially a peripheral and no peripheral has ever succeeded, sure they've had their time, but ultimately they all die out pretty quickly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_Oculus_Rift_support

Successful peripherals, I guess you gotta place it in comparison to cost of creating the product?

• Expansion pack for N64
  • Memory Cards for PS1 and PS2
  • Guitar Hero Guitars
  • Microphones
  • Dance pads (though niche)
  • Multi tap for PS1
  • NES Lightgun
  • FightPads
  • Racing Wheel
  • Gameshark/Action Replay/Game Genie etc
  • Joypad and other controllers for PC