Would you buy a Playstation VR after what they did to the Vita?

Gil_Godlike

Sorry if there is another post about this...if there is, can you give me the link o I can go there...Thanks

I know there is a lot of indie support for the vita (and I think indies are awesome) but still all the vita lovers are a little bit angry at Sony for deliberately abandon the vita after a few years, leaving the console with little AAA content.....so I want to know if you are willing to trust Sony with the VR (which is more expensive than the vita) knowing that they can give the VR the same cold shoulder that they gave the vita.

Edited by Gil_Godlike

Nah VR isn't gonna be a massive seller, due to the expensive price point, while validated, only the hardcore Sony fans (or the rich ones) are gonna go for it. I can't see big studios making big games for the VR.

However.. VRs use in other fields is where it'll flourish, not with games.

• Like 2

Of course I will. It is a completely different market and is showing a lot more promise than the Vita's software and I bought that with the AC:L edition. I don't think it can be compared to the Vita. That was a handheld exclusive to Sony and of course they really dropped the ball with 1st party support. Companies making 3DS games were not going to just port their game to Vita. VR on the other hand has at least three different manufacturers with likely over 100 devs producing content that could be played across PC, PS4, Neo after some optimization and port work. I just feel that it is different due to all these companies putting a lot of money toward VR. You still didn't see them do that when 3DS was selling like hotcakes.  

• Like 1

They dropped the PSP Go.

They dropped the PS Vita.

They were both under performing and weren't really worth their investment. Sony is a company, all they need to care about is money, they don't need to support things for 10+ years like they did with the PS2, and they only really would if it was profitable. 

You shouldn't have distrust in buying a PS VR because Sony have dropped things before, you should have distrust in buying a PS VR because if it's not profitable there'd be no games coming to it, and since it's coming out for $550 (here) and requires another $550 console, with an $80 camera accessory, there's a good chance it won't sell gang busters.

• Like 1

I wouldn't buy a VR, but not because of what they did with the Vita. Rather, because gimmicky ways of interacting with a video game that don't include a standard controller and TV interface, or a (well-supported) handheld, never end up being more than a fad.

• Like 3

VR doesn't interest me in the slightest.  I see it as another fad that will be laughed at in a very short time.  I still remember when Avatar came out and everyone went crazy over 3D.  Now, while theatres still have 3D showings, most people I know (myself included) actively avoid those showings.  Only little kids and die-hard fans like 3D.  While VR is more immersive than 3D, this isn't the first crack at it.  Back in the 90s we had VR in games, but not on consoles, it was an individual experience that a person payed money for per play, like at an arcade.  I saw these machines in many places for a year or two, and then they promptly disappeared.  This new VR will be the same, and Sony will definitely drop support for it once sales slow down.

For the meantime, it's not just rich people or die-hards getting it.  Lots of friends at work who are broke have pre-ordered it, and not because they love VR, but rather because it's the new thing they were told is cool and they have to have it now cause... reasons.  Once these early adopters give up on it, that'll be the last we hear of VR (well, for another 20 years anyway, until everyone forgets it was a failure and tries to bring it back, again).  As far as trusting Sony, no, I don't trust Sony, I don't trust any giant corporation whose sole purpose is to make money.  They don't care about their customers, despite what some think.  That way of thinking is a day dream, because this is all a business and the end goal is making profit.  If and when VR fails, and no longer makes a profit, they will stop supporting it, simple as that.  Same thing will happen to the other VR kits out there too.  It's taken literally YEARS to get enough people interested to actually start mass producing these kits, and once the 'ooo, yea, VR, it's shiny and pretty' effect wears off, it'll fall by the way-side, like all niche products eventually do.

• Like 2

I would. Because I don't blame Sony for Vitas downfall. Handheld just wasn't a market they should had invested on in the first place. There wasn't a huge market/consumers for them. Especially when its pricey. I think the majority couldn't afford another system along with its own seperate line of games.

At least the VR, you would already have the PS4 and games that will support it. I think as long as games coming out support it, people will eventually support it and Sony won't have the need to abandon it. It is crucial what major games will support it for it to survive.

I'm looking forward to this technology and hope more developers are going support it so gaming can advance further and future of gaming be even more amazing...

It's most likely going to sell pretty well day 1, but I don't think it's going to be worth the money from the start. I say give it a year or two to see how well games flourish. Vita is still the bees knees in my opinion, just wasn't marketed well.

Edited by MajesticDrekavac

I've pre-ordered a VR headset. I'll also buy a Neo when it drops.

Sony VR is a cheap entry point compared to Oculus Rift, Vive etc, which would both require me to spend around $3000 AUD (thank you Australia tax!) for a rig with the grunt to run VR on PC with any kind of gusto.

If this VR craze pans out, maybe I'll invest in a decent rig when Vive 2.0 is released. Until then, I'll paddle in the shallow end of the pool on PS4.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

After what they did to Vita so...

Creating the best gaming device ever?

Filled with Japanese games?

No AAA support?

Backward compatibility?

Yes, if they do the same to VR, I will buy it.

I really dont understand this fanboy mentality. There are good games and bad games in all genre. Whether its AAA, Indie, Japanese etc. I rather have a device that appeals to all than a niche crowd. Doesnt take away from anything but makes the device more viable in the long run. That the Vita doesnt will most likely mean Sony will not produce another handheld device. Hope that makes you fanboys happy. It doesnt for me because I do think overall it is a spectacular gaming device.

• Like 1

I have my PSVR pre-ordered for day one release, I also have already bought the PS4 camera and 3 x PS move controllers in advance for this.

1. I don't personally consider the Vita to be a flop/failure etc.. I play the games I want to on it therefore for me it is a success !

2. The same people who think the PS Vita is/was a flop will doubtlessly say the same about the PSVR...

3. I am looking forward to October a lot, I cannot wait to immerse myself into new gaming experiences that PSVR will bring...

4. Summer lesson...

5. Cinematic mode for PS4 games could be insane, however if not... Refer to: 1.2.3.4

It's my treat to myself for being a good student all year and resisting to play games when I really wanted to :)

Edited by JapanimeGamer
  • Like 1

Hell yeah, I too tought that VR would just be a fad, until I tried it for myself, the imersion is just something you can't describe, I don't care if it bombs, there are already a great amount of games annouced for the PS VR that interest me, and to me that already justifies the investment.  Playing an horror game on the likes of PT while making you feel like you're actually there? Count me in.

On a side note, here are the games/experiences announced for it that I'm getting for sure:

- Albino Lullaby
- The Apollo 11 VR Experience
- Adrift
- The Assembly
- Chernobyl VR Project
- Allison Road
- Dead Secret
- The Deep
- The Hum: Abductions
- P.O.L.L.E.N
- Robinson: The Journey
- Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
- WhiteDay: A Labyrinth Named School
- Paranormal Activity VR
- Visage

And these are just the announced ones, who knows how many more will come, but like I said, these are enough to justify the investment already, anything else will be just bonus.

• Like 1

I have my PSVR pre-ordered for day one release, I also have already bought the PS4 camera and 3 x PS move controllers in advance for this.

1. I don't personally consider the Vita to be a flop/failure etc.. I play the games I want to on it therefore for me it is a success !

2. The same people who think the PS Vita is/was a flop will doubtlessly say the same about the PSVR...

3. I am looking forward to October a lot, I cannot wait to immerse myself into new gaming experiences that PSVR will bring...

4. Summer lesson...

5. Cinematic mode for PS4 games could be insane, however if not... Refer to: 1.2.3.4

It's my treat to myself for being a good student all year and resisting to play games when I really wanted to :)

1. It is really neither. Great device but not really a great success outside Japan. Will Sony make another handheld? If it was a success, they probably would but I dont see it.

2. It will probably flop. Especially if you need the PS 4.5 to run it. How many ppl that own a PS4 will shell out more money for a new PS4 just for the PSVR?

3. I do hope you enjoy it. Strapping something to my face isnt gaming in my opinion.

4. Enjoy

5. I will stick to regular HDTV.

• Like 1

1. It is really neither. Great device but not really a great success outside Japan. Will Sony make another handheld? If it was a success, they probably would but I dont see it.

2. It will probably flop. Especially if you need the PS 4.5 to run it. How many ppl that own a PS4 will shell out more money for a new PS4 just for the PSVR?

3. I do hope you enjoy it. Strapping something to my face isnt gaming in my opinion.

4. Enjoy

5. I will stick to regular HDTV.

1. To me the PS Vita is not a flop because I play what I want to on it... no-one can argue this, it is my personal experience and for me it is correct. Other people may hate the device, or are utterly disappointed with it, and that's their prerogative. Neither side is wrong.

2. If the PSVR flops then it flops. Imagine a world where no-one ever tried anything new in fear that it might not work... America still wouldn't have been discovered !

3. I hope so too... time will tell.

4. Thank you.

5. I am not getting rid of my HDTV... I don't understand this last comment to be honest.

Edited by JapanimeGamer

Short answer: Nope.

Long(er) answer: Definitely not. Not only is it something that I couldn't see myself using (sure I would be interested in trying it out but, as with the Move, once the initial intrigue wears off you're left with a gimmick, a VERY expensive one too) but also Sony simply can't be trusted now to see through anything that strays from their core business (home consoles and video game publishing).

• Like 1