Warning about DLC scam

Finally talked to Sony about GOTY games being unavaible to buy digitally if you own the basic. The Sony guy finally admitted and blamed it on the developers not the Store. Not entirely true since I get the unavailable option with an extended GOW game. So if you want a game and the DLCs but don't want to be ripped off, wait for the GOTY edition or get the original on disc.

post-124186-0-42724500-1464368284_thumb.png

This is a very dumbed-down and terribly worded explanation of the truth (by the Sony rep, not the OP).  Not sure who to blame, but the basics are this: The PSN store is designed so that each product has an ID.  You can't purchase that ID twice, by design.  SO if you own a standard release of a game, with a certain product ID, and then a GOTY/Ultimate/Complete whatever version is released, and the developer uses the same base game ID, but just bundles it with the DLC (so that you're buying a bundle of numerous product IDs), you already own the base game per the ID and cannot re-purchase it.  Like I said, I don't know who is really to blame, as I know for a fact that Sony very often makes changes to developer submissions when they move from a staging to retail environment, so it could be the devs fault, it could be Sony's fault, it could just be an oversight for simplicity, etc...  In the end, the system itself was designed to prevent us, the customer, from accidentally buying the same products more than once and then freaking out and trying to demand our money back.  The system is working as intended, however the constant release of various versions of the same game can lead to unexpected circumstances, like this one.  I imagine you're trying to buy a game on sale, like the one's available in the last flash sale where the GOTY/Complete versions were cheaper than buying the DLC separately?  I don't blame you, why pay more for individual DLC when you can buy the whole thing cheaper.  Makes sense, and it's too bad there's no way to simply 'override' Sony's system, by having to agree to a separate condition where you basically say 'yeah, I know I'm buying the same game twice'.

• Like 1

So if you want a game and the DLCs but don't want to be ripped off, wait for the GOTY edition

Applies most of the time anyway

The Sony game? GOW Ascension but checked it and I own the extended apparently. So I was wrong in that respect. But for being blocked for buying others, that part is correct.

A good example is Mass Effect 2. You cannot buy the online pass (which you need for one trophy) if you own the retail version and the pass had alreay been used.

I believe it. There were times where Ultimate Editions of certain games that went on sale and I couldn't get them because I have the vanilla version of the game (Burnout Paradise, Helldivers, Bioshock 2 just to name a few). Crazy to think they wouldn't allow that to happen.

Edited by kidson2004
  • Like 1

How could it not be true? I'm blocked from buying some extended versions if I have the basic. Including a Sony first party game.

I don't wanna doubt you, but it "could" be another chat thing, not Sony suppourt specifically, but something else similar. Just find it hard to believe a Sony employee would admit to a customer (whether it's right or wrong) that you're being scammed, seems pretty unprofessional.

"if that option is not available that won't be possible"

This is Not an form of admission of guilt. This is a clear cut answer.

You can't because no one made it possible to do so. Go cry to the dev's...

bioshock 2 ultimate did it to me :(

25$ worth of content to spend and i can bet that the ultimate is cheaper.

it just one of my priority that is near bottom.

Edited by kingdrake2
  • Like 1

If he isn't fired for what was said, he will be for how it was said. Guy sounds like he's chatting to his mate. It's barely coherent. Not the usual standard of a Sony customer service rep. He doesn't even know what he's talking about anyway. What does he even mean by upgrading a game?

If he isn't fired for what was said, he will be for how it was said. Guy sounds like he's chatting to his mate. It's barely coherent. Not the usual standard of a Sony customer service rep. He doesn't even know what he's talking about anyway. What does he even mean by upgrading a game?

I agree. I'm still not on board with calling this design a scam, but I feel like Sony will definitely have big problems with him agreeing with that phrasing.

I don't wanna doubt you, but it "could" be another chat thing, not Sony suppourt specifically, but something else similar. Just find it hard to believe a Sony employee would admit to a customer (whether it's right or wrong) that you're being scammed, seems pretty unprofessional.

Well I went through the chat option for Sony PlayStation chat support so it wasn't some other chat thing. But I was surprised that he was honest and agreed that it is a scam. I expected some runaround or vague response.

I agree. I'm still not on board with calling this design a scam, but I feel like Sony will definitely have big problems with him agreeing with that phrasing.

Well what do you call a policy of not allowing you to buy a product to access dlcs at a cheaper price and force you to pay more by buying them separately?

My friend told me some developers like the one that makes BattleField gives you an option to upgrade your game. I guess if you have the basic and later see a deluxe version you can buy it at a reduced price. I guess that's what he meant.

Purchase the GOTY version on a secondary account, download and install the DLC, play the game on your primary account.

Believe it or not, later on he actually suggested that. Its an option but I really shouldn't have to go through that. But probably will in the future.

There are indeed flaws in the SONY system but as pessimistic and conspiracy believing as I am, I do not believe it is intentially a SCAM by SONY. They just don't care/worry over little things like these that happen to possible a couple games.

I laughed when you said it was a scam and he just says yes atleast they were open about it.

I laugh when Sony fanboys just cant believe anything bad about Sony.

There are indeed flaws in the SONY system but as pessimistic and conspiracy believing as I am, I do not believe it is intentially a SCAM by SONY. They just don't care/worry over little things like these that happen to possible a couple games.

The Sony guy said it was intentional but by the developers of the games that block access not Sony themselves.

Why should they fire that guy lol? At least he wrote something that it's not the usual semi-automatic reply, like when you have a problem with a semi-obscure content and they suggest you generic console troubleshooting crap.

He even suggested to use an alt account to get the games. I was pleased he didn't sound like a typical support person. I'm not mad at him or Sony. I'm mad at the developers policy that blocks access to the games. How is it different then if you bough a basic game say for 5 bucks at Best Buy and later you found the GOTY edition for 10 that included dlcs that would cost you 20. And you went to buy it and Best Buy said no, they aren't allowed to sell it to you.  

Since this is Sony's own design issue, if you're having this problem, you should contact Sony, get credited for the difference between the sale price and the regular price of the bundle, so you can purchase the regular price of the bundle. Make Sony pay for their faulty system. If a sale bundle is $14.99 and the regular bundle is $24.99, Sony should credit your PSN wallet $10 so you're basically paying then the $14.99 the sale price is

Since this is Sony's own design issue, if you're having this problem, you should contact Sony, get credited for the difference between the sale price and the regular price of the bundle, so you can purchase the regular price of the bundle. Make Sony pay for their faulty system. If a sale bundle is $14.99 and the regular bundle is $24.99, Sony should credit your PSN wallet $10 so you're basically paying then the $14.99 the sale price is

Think next time I see a sale for a GOTY that I have the digital basic version I will bring that up though the rep said that Sony is just following that developers policy. Either way is a stupid system that makes no sense.