Let's Play SO5

An hour and a half into it, I really appreciate how smooth the world map to battle transition is. Kind of cool how you can get pre-emptive/surprise attacks going there. I agree with the above that there haven't been any cutscenes really, which doesn't bother me much, but I can definitely see how that would bother people. 

I'll need to check out the reviews but from what I've been able to play so far it has been pretty good.  Voice acting I feel is better and the general feel of the game is a lot like a much more polished SO4.

It is a good game, especially if you liked the previous entries in the series.

Totally agree with the bolded part. 

Anyway, so far, so good. Taking a short break to hang out with my dogs and then will get back at it. 

Yep, I just seen the first one, so at least there are some.

I noticed there was some kind of bonus when I was switching between weak & strong attacks, I just wasn't sure what type of bonus it was.

Yeah, I've read the game mechanics area in the user guide but it didn't mention it. I assume it is a multiplier to your overall damage as I seem to do more damage as the bonus increases.

Before I progressed too much in the story I wanted to check a few things. This is what I've found.

1. There are no missable quests

2. The battle trophies seem unmissable unless you lose a character later in the game.

3. The Universe difficulty is unlocked "... after an initial successful playthrough...".

4. It doesn't mention if you need to run through Universe to unlock Chaos so I'm assuming this unlocks after your first playthrough too. The monsters in Chaos ar about two times tougher than the enemies in Galaxy.

• Like 1

Here's a couple tips too:

1. If you have the Day One DLC (I'm assuming you do if you're already playing it :P), it doesn't seem to download (once I put in the code, it already showed as installed). Also you must rest at an inn (or your house at the beginning of the game) to get your DLC items.
  2. Before you leave the first town (not the one you start in), make sure to do Welch's 3 requests (the items needed can all be bought around town except maybe iron? You can find that in one of the chests beforehand). You'll learn multiple Specialties from doing so (Excavation, Fishing, etc).

3. The Universe difficulty is unlocked "... after an initial successful playthrough...".
4. It doesn't mention if you need to run through Universe to unlock Chaos so I'm assuming this unlocks after your first playthrough too. The monsters in Chaos ar about two times tougher than the enemies in Galaxy.

So I could've went with the easier difficulty? Hmm... I'm almost tempted to restart now (I only have 2 hours in so far). :hmm:

1. If you have the Day One DLC (I'm assuming you do if you're already playing it :P), it doesn't seem to download (once I put in the code, it already showed as installed). Also you must rest at an inn (or your house at the beginning of the game) to get your DLC items.
  2. Before you leave the first town (not the one you start in), make sure to do Welch's 3 requests (the items needed can all be bought around town except maybe iron? You can find that in one of the chests beforehand). You'll learn multiple Specialties from doing so (Excavation, Fishing, etc).

So I could've went with the easier difficulty? Hmm... I'm almost tempted to restart now (I only have 2 hours in so far). :hmm:

The easy difficulty is REALLY easy so far (1.5 hours in). There have been multiple points where the monsters I'm fighting just stand there and let my characters hit them with weak strikes repeatedly. 

The easy difficulty is REALLY easy so far (1.5 hours in). There have been multiple points where the monsters I'm fighting just stand there and let my characters hit them with weak strikes repeatedly. 

I haven't had much trouble of the next difficulty either (except one spot where 4 fish things ganged up on me making it where I could barley attack). I'm just worried if there are any post-game bosses that will be a pain to fight on the higher one.

• If you have the Day One DLC (I'm assuming you do if you're already playing it :P), it doesn't seem to download (once I put in the code, it already showed as installed). Also you must rest at an inn (or your house at the beginning of the game) to get your DLC items.
  • Before you leave the first town (not the one you start in), make sure to do Welch's 3 requests (the items needed can all be bought around town except maybe iron? You can find that in one of the chests beforehand). You'll learn multiple Specialties from doing so (Excavation, Fishing, etc).

When I get back on I'll back track to finish her quests. Seems like a lot of the things tied with the trophies a tied to BTs and side quests... I'm good with that!

I'd stick with Galaxy if you aren't having a hard time. Apparently the enemies are a about 20% easier with the HP, ATK, and DEF 80% of what it is in Galaxy.

Yeah, I've read the game mechanics area in the user guide but it didn't mention it. I assume it is a multiplier to your overall damage as I seem to do more damage as the bonus increases.

Before I progressed too much in the story I wanted to check a few things. This is what I've found.

1. There are no missable quests

2. The battle trophies seem unmissable unless you lose a character later in the game.

Lose characters as in dying or them leaving the party in a scripted event?

July 1st, so pretty soon. If I don't get the game on said day, I'm gonna try to get it ASAP.

Ok.

I just went into this dark void looking thing, it said to only continue if you are confident in your skill. I went ahead & left though because I hadn't saved in a while, but the portal disappeared once I did... I hope I didn't screw myself out of anything by doing that. -_-

The scariest thing about that place though? It played the same music that the Wandering Dungeon did in SO4... shock1-onion-head-emoticon.gif?129286251 Just thinking of that place gives me nightmares, I pray there's nowhere like that in this game. crying3-onion-head-emoticon.gif?12928624

I just went into this dark void looking thing, it said to only continue if you are confident in your skill. I went ahead & left though because I hadn't saved in a while, but the portal disappeared once I did... I hope I didn't screw myself out of anything by doing that. -_-

The scariest thing about that place though? It played the same music that the Wandering Dungeon did in SO4... shock1-onion-head-emoticon.gif?129286251 Just thinking of that place gives me nightmares, I pray there's nowhere like that in this game. crying3-onion-head-emoticon.gif?12928624

Those aren't unmissable, they pop up randomly apparently, and every time you go in the same chests will be there if you missed some or something, etc. Essentially it's ok

Are 10,000 foes to beat hard in star ocean? It's one of the battle trophies I read....

And still no conclusion on whether cumulative battle trophies carry over from playthrough to playthrough? That's really my 1 big worry.

Lol :lol:, maybe the Ethereal Queen wanted to welcome you :awesome:.

Those aren't unmissable, they pop up randomly apparently, and every time you go in the same chests will be there if you missed some or something, etc. Essentially it's ok

Are 10,000 foes to beat hard in star ocean? It's one of the battle trophies I read....

And still no conclusion on whether cumulative battle trophies carry over from playthrough to playthrough? That's really my 1 big worry.

10,000 foes shouldn't be a problem, especially if every character can contribute to it.

• Like 1

Lol :lol:, maybe the Ethereal Queen wanted to welcome you :awesome:.

10,000 foes shouldn't be a problem, especially if every character can contribute to it.

10k foes is really easy in this one. There are a few sections in the game where weak soldiers would infinitely spawn, allowing you to effectively just mash an attack key and continuously kill them.

On a side note, in case you want to be slightly aware of annoying save points, beware of the 3rd main storyline boss. He appears after going through a jail cell area, and when you first meet him, he'll just send goons after you. But afterward, you get a 3min cutscene, followed by you being forced to leave a hotel with no save, and then start fighting again. Outside, there is a convenient infinite spawn of weak soldiers to fight, and if you walk to the center of town, you'll meet the boss. What you should be wary of, is that after he loses half his health, he gets a new move that allows him to go high in the air and then come down releasing a circle of flames around him (covering about 1/4th of the arena) doing 8-12k to everyone caught, easily killing all characters caught in the blast radius and probably killing majority of your party. After dying, you'll be teleported back to the jail cell area and forced to fight the goons and watch the cutscene again.

• Like 3

One great thing about this game too, your bonus gauge doesn't reset after turning off the game (like in SO4). That's awesome! :D

I'm not sure if the cumulative ones carry over or not this time, I'll probably try to work on most of them on my first run anyways (I've already got 20% of them).

Edited by Masamune
  • Like 1

I was hoping this wouldn't be the case. So much for getting all BTs in one playthrough without reloading saves.

Oh, I don't think you need to worry. I was just saying that in my OP because some of the BTs are character specific. They are all pretty easy it looks like so you should be a-okay

10k foes is really easy in this one. There are a few sections in the game where weak soldiers would infinitely spawn, allowing you to effectively just mash an attack key and continuously kill them.

On a side note, in case you want to be slightly aware of annoying save points, beware of the 3rd main storyline boss. He appears after going through a jail cell area, and when you first meet him, he'll just send goons after you. But afterward, you get a 3min cutscene, followed by you being forced to leave a hotel with no save, and then start fighting again. Outside, there is a convenient infinite spawn of weak soldiers to fight, and if you walk to the center of town, you'll meet the boss. What you should be wary of, is that after he loses half his health, he gets a new move that allows him to go high in the air and then come down releasing a circle of flames around him (covering about 1/4th of the arena) doing 8-12k to everyone caught, easily killing all characters caught in the blast radius and probably killing majority of your party. After dying, you'll be teleported back to the jail cell area and forced to fight the goons and watch the cutscene again.

That's useful info, thanks.

Oh, I don't think you need to worry. I was just saying that in my OP because some of the BTs are character specific. They are all pretty easy it looks like so you should be a-okay

Awesome :D.

I'm probably done for tonight, but besides the lack of scenes I'm enjoying the game so far (in about 7 hours).

Another plus is that it's got a nice quick/simple Item Creation system that can be done anywhere, no more having to run to a certain location to make items! :yay:

• Like 1

I'm probably done for tonight, but besides the lack of scenes I'm enjoying the game so far (in about 7 hours).

Another plus is that it's got a nice quick/simple Item Creation system that can be done anywhere, no more having to run to a certain location to make items! :yay:

That's a great improvement :dance:.

I didn't get to play at all today...

giphy.gif

There, there, maybe you'll have time today.

• Like 1

Even with your warning, it still took me two tries for that fight... -_-

Even with your warning, it still took me two tries for that fight... -_-

What lvl where you? So we have an idea from those behind you and what we should do. 

Currently 1Hour 30Min 13% BTs

Pretty happy with the game so far!

What lvl where you? So we have an idea from those behind you and what we should do. 

Currently 1Hour 30Min 13% BTs

Pretty happy with the game so far!

I found the best way to prepare for the fight is have as high as possible Rush Guage that you can burn as soon as he hits half health. In that way, you have to play the silly run and heal game as little as possible. Also just make sure you have as many ways as possible to revive someone whether by item or skill. Level itself doesn't play too big of a part.

And sadly I didn't get any further in my JP copy. I'm sadly a bit busy this week, so will probably actually start on my Epic Quest next week at earliest.

Edited by bladesoframen

I found the best way to prepare for the fight is have as high as possible Rush Guage that you can burn as soon as he hits half health. In that way, you have to play the silly run and heal game as little as possible.

This is what I tried, but a level 4 Rush Gauge (too lazy to go any further than that :P) only knocked off about 10-15% of the boss's health for me (I used the MC for the attack).