The Blair Witch Project finally getting a sequel

jackmadrox

The first movie scared the hell out of my girlfriend at the time. She was convinced that it was real.

Never saw the next one but this new one looks like it'll be good for some scares.

• Like 1

I remember when the first one came out.  It was the first of these 'found footage' movies, and the marketing for it implied it was real and the people in it were never found.  It was only after we saw it in theaters that it was revealed to be a hoax film.  Since then, this genre of film has been very popular, and for the most part, equally boring.  Rewatching the original blair witch, knowing it was fake, about a year after it came out, I realized how lame it was.  I don't really care for horror movies anymore, and the few I've seen since like the Ring and the Grudge failed to elicit any response from me.  I honestly have no interest in seeing this film, and ironically, it's directly because of the legacy left behind by the first film.

The first movie scared the hell out of my girlfriend at the time. She was convinced that it was real.

We all thought it was real at the time. That's one of the biggest reasons it was so great. Even though I know now it was just a movie, it doesn't do anything to kill the ambiance of it for me. I think it's because I was like 14 or so when it came out, and it'll always hold a special place in my heart because of that.

Edited by jackmadrox

https://youtu.be/kok693DxwVo

He says he's looking for his sister after all these years. Could he mean Heather from the first movie?

He is indeed Heather's brother, per the movie's director.

I actually enjoyed the hell out of the original movie when I first watched it, and I liked the ambiguous nature of the ending. I found the whole film in general effective because it was more about the wonder of who or what was following them, rather than just another horror movie with a monster on screen that's full of cheap jump scares.

As far as Blair Witch 2 goes, the less said about that abomination of a movie the better :)

This new film has come out of nowhere, I have to say. As a fan of the original, I can't wait to watch it as it looks quite promising. I just hope we don't actually see the Blair Witch, because that's what made the original movie work.

• Like 1

The original was a nice little romp and this one may be a good one too.  I also remember everyone thinking it was real back in the day too, to the point that the town of Burkitsville had to actually change their answering machine message to say something like "thank you for calling, blair witch is just a movie"!  :D

He is indeed Heather's brother, per the movie's director.

Nice! That only further deepens my intrigue for this movie. Because now it's directly connected to the first film, and hopefully we can forget that Book Of Shadows movie ever happened. 

The first movie wasn't too bad, but it did rely on the gimmick that it was 'real', which to be fair...worked.  I remember a lot of people being duped by it at the time. Lol   Probably give this one a watch somewhere down the line.   The only 'real' movies that freaked me out as a kid were The Legend of Boggy Creek & Picnic at Hanging Rock, a local myth and an entirely fictitious story, respectively, but they both maintain that real gimmick to some degree, something which BW lost not too long after release, still, it gets a lot of credit for fooling so many, even if it was short lived.  

The only hope is they've made a good movie this time, because the 'real' aspect is long gone... 

• 2 weeks later...

I was actually scared after the first one and because I lived in a old English house... I started walking with a flashlight from my phone... I also started looking around the corners.

I am not crazy I just literally got scared and if you ever lived in a old English house with creeking floors with a black cat that can make you feel like someone is in your house... You will know how much it can scare you... in addition people obviously died in the house since it was so old.

We also had a garden and a window to show the garden to us at night so it was all very very pretty sarcastically speaking.

Edited by null

The 1st Blair Witch was a classic.Not only was it scary but grossed the most money with the lowest budget back then.I hope this movie does well.Looks pretty dam good so for.This movie and The It movie Remake will be the greatest and scariest remakes ever I think.Forget the bloody gore movies those are not scary thriller movies.

• Like 1

That movie brings back memories. I remember being really young and staying up late. Flipping through channels I came across the original movie and seeing that it was just a low budget, shaky cam movie it had me curious. I must have watched an hour of it up to the end where I sat there traumatized haha.

• Like 1

Those who were not around for the original probably can't appreciate that back then "found film" movies didn't really exist in high numbers.  The Blair Witch Project was the breakthrough movie for the genre.  So yes, there was great debate about how real the movie was.  Also the internet was just exploding so there wasn't much in the way of spoilers to be had.  Oh, and people thought the world was going to end.

I ran from the theatre when it ended.  I was in my 20's.  

Edited by audiopile

• 3 weeks later...

Doesn't need another film. I thought it was pretty bad in the first place. Really didn't like it. :(

My memories of BWP are just some kids walking through a forest shouting for the one that got lost and getting slowly more scared, but nothing majorly scary - but then I'm not really a fan of that sort of film.

I'd be open to watching a sequel. Maybe with today's special effects they can actually make it ...good? Here's hoping.