Changing our PSN Name

Warlord1742

Hello Everyone

Sorry in advance if this is in the incorrect category of the forums.

My dilemma is that I'm creating a Youtube channel. I plan on recording videos on the Ps4, moving them to my laptop, editing and uploading. I have already created the Channel Art, recorded small gameplay videos, made a profile picture, etc. After looking through the gameplay, I realized the most frustrating thing. My youtube name is different from my PSN account name. 

So after doing research, I have found threads saying that it will not be possible to change your PSN account for most likely a long time. Then I found other threads saying that you are now able to change your name when renewing your PS Plus subscription or something like that. Most of these threads were dated back a few months, to a few years ago.

If in the worst case scenario, I am not able to either transfer all my saved game data, and trophies to another account, nor am I able to change my name for months to come. What is your opinion on this? Would you rather make a new account, lose ALL your trophies and game saves, for the sake of having your name same to your Youtube channel?

What is your opinion on this? Would you rather make a new account, lose ALL your trophies and game saves, for the sake of having your name same to your Youtube channel?

It's perfectly fine to have a different YouTube channel name than your PSN name.

Example: Franks Awesome YouTube channel hosted by DaivRules.

Then again, creating another PSN account to match your YouTube channel doesn't *lose* anything. You're existing PSN account will always be there for you to come back to whenever you want.

Your trophies and such are tied to your online ID. If you ID were to be changed, you would loose them. The only circumstance I've heard of someone being able to change their username is if Sony automatically banned them for a blacklisted username (Like "Jihad").

Edited by Nuttro93

I'd keep them separate, if you grew on YouTube through the work you are looking to do you would end up making another account due to spam and messages from subs. You see YouTubers do it constantly. Could you imagine trying to accept a game invite from a friend when you get 5 invs a second from some clown you don't know? It would be a nightmare. Just keep them separate it will help in the long run if you are serious about it

• Like 1

Totally agree! 56kb broadband speeds.

Which was totally fine when the PS2 implemented the PSN network. I wish I was at home and could take a picture of a 56k modem box where the disclaimer showed that it was limited to 53kb speeds. 

I call this the Rubber Band Ball Problem. No one wants to make a new ball that does the same thing so they use the same stupid rubber band ball (the PS2 PSN network) and keep adding rubber bands (PS4 features). 

Seriously, I do hope Sony adopts the "5 years default username" rule MS is doing. It would be very helpful to the whole name changing ordeal.

I can only assume Sony will acknowledge the cost of digital upkeep any time now and implement a similar practice.

Would you rather make a new account, lose ALL your trophies and game saves, for the sake of having your name same to your Youtube channel?

No, because YT sucks. :awesome:

Aaaanyway. I don't know what kind of threads you found but everything is just a pure speculation.

There are no plans to allow PSN name changes.

I feel like I have seen around 10 topics by now on this site about changing your PSN ID.

Ahah I would like to change my name if it's possible, but it's not so I have to stay with the name that group pressure resulted in... anyway I am kind of used to people call me demos now... oh well... xD

I always thought you prefer to play demo versions of games rather than full games looking at you PSN ID :D

Seriously, I do hope Sony adopts the "5 years default username" rule MS is doing. It would be very helpful to the whole name changing ordeal.

Agreed.

Edited by Saionji

I ended up creating a new account because I didn't like my username. I had to end up earning the handful of platinums I had and now I am only really missing trophies from two games on my current profile. 

You could easily create a new PSN account and use that for content relating to your channel although if you wanted PS plus you would have to pay for BOTH accounts and trophy progress wouldn't be transferable. 

Edited by TheAveryChu

I feel like I have seen around 10 topics by now on this site about changing your PSN ID.

I always thought you prefer to play demo versions of games rather than full games looking at you PSN ID :D

Agreed.

Ahah I consider this id so dumb now xD

Like I said was group pressure, 3 boys, I was the first to get the amazing PS3, yeayyyyyy, everyone testing my console, we create an id to try the very first online experience (in consoles), the first thing we wanted was some demos cause I just had one or 2 games with the PS3, so play-demos-1(cause the seems to exist a playdemos without the "1"... xD

The story of my life...

• Like 1

Sony can make name changing available ever since the PS4 came out. It isn't that they can't do it, it's just the fact that they won't.

There was an interview with the CEO, and he was saying and I quote

"We want to give you more control across your experience and your profile and your presence on the network"

"At the same time, you'll understand, we don't want to make it so that you can go in, grief a bunch of people in Far Cry, change your avatar, change your username, go into CoD and grief everybody there. We want to stop that."

Also in late 2015, there was a PlayStation survey, you can do your own research about it, but it did mention PSN name changing, which kind of point to the fact that they can in fact make this a possibility

Edited by Warlord1742