Playstation VR who's getting it, one week now

Steveatron

Not getting VR. I'm just want to sit down and use a normal controller. Can't see myself with VR

You're in luck because with the majority of the VR games can be played sitting down with a normal controller.

As has been stated many times by multiple sources, Sony wants most games to be compatible with the dualshock controller. Only a fraction of the VR games will actually require move and even less games will require standing up (Sony recommends sitting down).

I only became interested in VR after hearing that for the first time. I want to play my games sitting down with a normal controller as well.

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 4

Personally I think it's a gimmick and feel like it would be annoying/heavy to wear.  I don't think they consider people who have to wear glasses most of the time.  So probably not getting it, probably not even when it does die off and goes super cheap.

• Like 3

You're in luck because with the majority of the VR games can be played sitting down with a normal controller.

As has been stated many times by multiple sources, Sony wants most games to be compatible with the dualshock controller. Only a fraction of the VR games will actually require move and even less games will require standing up (Sony recommends sitting down).

I only became interested in VR after hearing that for the first time. I want to play my games sitting down with a normal controller as well.

Well Well.....then I might get it sometime down the road. Thanks for the info. Hopefully I don't get motion sickness. 

I would highly suggest people do sit down when they first play PSVR, and to be honest probably stay seated thereafter too.

Personally I think it's a gimmick and feel like it would be annoying/heavy to wear.  I don't think they consider people who have to wear glasses most of the time. 

The headset is not heavy, I could barely tell I even had it on, and in regards to people who wear glasses this has been taken into account and everything fits perfectly.

So probably not getting it, probably not even when it does die off and goes super cheap.

That is entirely your choice.

Edited by JapanimeGamer
  • Like 1

I would highly suggest people do sit down when they first play PSVR, and to be honest probably stay seated thereafter too.

The headset is not heavy, I could barely tell I even had it on, and in regards to people who wear glasses this has been taken into account and everything fits perfectly.

Sony actually states to play it seated.

And I doubt it about glasses tbh.  They all say that, they even said that about 3D movies where you have to wear glasses on top of your regular glasses to watch, it was highly uncomfortable for me plus there was something wrong with my eyes where I couldn't see the 3D effects that well.  I don't even like wearing bulky headsets (which the VR looks like to me).

I doubt I'd get it immediately even if I could afford it, because I'd like to see how it turns out and how many games will be made for ti (although there are a ton of games already confirmed).

I'm jealous of the people that'll get to play vr horror games.  :(

And I doubt it about glasses tbh.  They all say that, they even said that about 3D movies where you have to wear glasses on top of your regular glasses to watch, it was highly uncomfortable for me plus there was something wrong with my eyes where I couldn't see the 3D effects that well.  I don't even like wearing bulky headsets (which the VR looks like to me).

I do respect your reservations about PSVR and I understand that you are cautious to believe what Sony say, however, there are people on these forums who have used PSVR and you seem unwilling to want to listen or believe anything what we have to say about it.

• Like 1

I do respect your reservations about PSVR and I understand that you are cautious to believe what Sony say, however, there are people on these forums who have used PSVR and you seem unwilling to want to listen or believe anything what we have to say about it.

I didn't once say I didn't believe in what you said that it could be a good experience.  I just believe it will die off as people said the exact same thing about motion gaming when that was the thing.

Personally I think it's a gimmick and feel like it would be annoying/heavy to wear.  I don't think they consider people who have to wear glasses most of the time.  So probably not getting it, probably not even when it does die off and goes super cheap.

I've tried it at a demo booth and the 2015 build wasn't heavy. Reviews I've read so far say that it's the most comfortable of the 3 VR headsets, and have praised the space available for those who wear glasses. 

• Like 1

I agree with DEMON. I think it's a gimmick.

I understand why people are excited about it. It's a new way to play games. However, it's just not radical, If one day VR technology enables me to be inside a living world where I can see NPCs and other people then we'll talk. VR got a long way ahead of it.

Well Well.....then I might get it sometime down the road. Thanks for the info. Hopefully I don't get motion sickness.

@DF you're welcome, and in addition to JG's tip, I would add not to make DriveClub the first thing you play. It's the only game that made me sick, and it made lots of people sick. Personell said it was a bad early demo... if that's so then shame on the devs because I'm not buying it full price now.

Personally, I think it's best to start in short sessions, preferrably with a slow speed game.

I doubt it about glasses tbh.  They all say that, they even said that about 3D movies where you have to wear glasses on top of your regular glasses to watch, it was highly uncomfortable for me plus there was something wrong with my eyes where I couldn't see the 3D effects that well.  I don't even like wearing bulky headsets (which the VR looks like to me).

I've tried it at a demo booth and the 2015 build wasn't heavy. Reviews I've read so far say that it's the most comfortable of the 3 VR headsets, and have praised the space available for those who wear glasses.

My personal experience is indeed that the headset is comfortable to wear.

I tried PSVR a couple of times, one of those times I brought my glasses on purpose. I had contacts in the other times and I always wear contacts when I go to 3D movie because I hate wearing double glasses, it doesn't feel good at all.

I felt like I needed to know if the headset worked with glasses since I'm not always into contacts, and my experience is: the headset works great with glasses, there was room to spare. And I've got big bulky glasses. The screen part of the headset can be removed a long ways from your head, after that it's a matter of putting it on and sliding the screen as much towards your head as you're comfortable with before locking it in place.

See, DEMON's reaction is why a Sony rep said their biggest challenge is getting people to try it. Not only is the experience a unique one, people also need to realise for themselves how good the headset fits even with glasses, instead of just dismissing it without even trying.

• Like 2

@DF you're welcome, and in addition to JG's tip, I would add not to make DriveClub the first thing you play. It's the only game that made me sick, and it made lots of people sick. Personell said it was a bad early demo... if that's so then shame on the devs because I'm not buying it full price now.

Personally, I think it's best to start in short sessions, preferrably with a slow speed game.

My personal experience is indeed that the headset is comfortable to wear.

I tried PSVR a couple of times, one of those times I brought my glasses on purpose. I had contacts in the other times and I always wear contacts when I go to 3D movie because I hate wearing double glasses, it doesn't feel good at all.

I felt like I needed to know if the headset worked with glasses since I'm not always into contacts, and my experience is: the headset works great with glasses, there was room to spare. And I've got big bulky glasses. The screen part of the headset can be removed a long ways from your head, after that it's a matter of putting it on and sliding the screen as much towards your head as you're comfortable with before locking it in place.

See, DEMON's reaction is why a Sony rep said their biggest challenge is getting people to try it. Not only is the experience a unique one, people also need to realise for themselves how good the headset fits even with glasses, instead of just dismissing it without even trying.

Maybe what you say is true, but I'm going by my personal experiences of everything you could wear on your head with glasses and it is always uncomfortable for me (like most people do not complain about having to wear headsets, but they bother me a lot).  If I were to go into GAME and get offered to demo it, I would.. but I probably still not buy one, not at the price and because I seen how motion gaming went down which also had the same kind of hype this does.  I would just simply use the demo to see what it's like and that will be the height of it for VR for me.

Maybe what you say is true, but I'm going by my personal experiences of everything you could wear on your head with glasses and it is always uncomfortable for me (like most people do not complain about having to wear headsets, but they bother me a lot).  If I were to go into GAME and get offered to demo it, I would.. but I probably still not buy one, not at the price and because I seen how motion gaming went down which also had the same kind of hype this does.  I would just simply use the demo to see what it's like and that will be the height of it for VR for me.

You shouldn't just go by your own experience since you have not actually tried a PSVR headset yet.

I have and it's the first thing that does not bother me with glasses on. Many other people have tried it with glasses and said it works fine.

I don't really know why you're suddenly changing the subject. It was all about "uncomfortable especially with glasses" for you at first and now some people are responding that it's no problem you suddenly change to "it doesn't matter because I don't want it anyway".

I thought your doubts about VR and regular glasses were legit but it seems like you're just another naysayer.

• Like 1

You shouldn't just go by your own experience since you have not actually tried a PSVR headset yet.

I have and it's the first thing that does not bother me with glasses on. Many other people have tried it with glasses and said it works fine.

I don't really know why you're suddenly changing the subject. It was all about "uncomfortable especially with glasses" for you at first and now some people are responding that it's no problem you suddenly change to "it doesn't matter because I don't want it anyway".

I thought your doubts about VR and regular glasses were legit but it seems like you're just another naysayer.

I just said if I were given the chance to try it out and see if it was the one device that wouldn't be uncomfortable for me, I would.

Well, you're also forgetting where I say it's probably a gimmick.  I don't have much faith in Sony with their extras for consoles as they never do continue to support them (Move and Vita are good examples here) and have a hard time getting third party developers continue making games for it (which would be what I'm most interested in, Square Enix however have already went back on what they said about FFXIV being able to play in VR though and what I seen of the footage they shown of FFXV's VR mini-game, it kind of looked terrible and I have a hard time seeing how that's immersive).  Resident Evil VII on the other hand looks like it would be a better experience in VR than playing it without (it's a whole pile of jump scares which everyone is used to by now in horrors), but as you can see, Capcom have given players the option as they can understand that maybe a good majority of the player base will not be getting VR.

I really just see it being something that will die off, the only games I can see still being developed for it afterwards would be all the casual crap you seen published on Kinect/Move after their intial launchs.  That's what I see what the majority of VR's library will be like.  I added the glasses concern because that is actually a concern for most of us who wear glasses and get annoyed by having to wear anything in front of them.  I have a few friends who think the same as me even though they have been told otherwise it's fine.  It's down to personal experience really.  You could find it okay, while someone else will just find it uncomfortable.

Resident Evil VII on the other hand looks like it would be a better experience in VR than playing it without (it's a whole pile of jump scares which everyone is used to by now in horrors), but as you can see, Capcom have given players the option as they can understand that maybe a good majority of the player base will not be getting VR.

That's the negative persons opinion.

The positive person will be thinking that Capcom have included VR capability as they can understand that maybe a good amount of the player base WILL be getting VR.

Edited by JapanimeGamer

I've pre-ordered it, but fairly late so I'm not sure I'll get mine by launch.

bummer at least you will know what games are good or bad but then

Very excited as well, going to be there first thing Thursday to pick it up. And I'm off work all day so my brain will probably be VR fried :)

Will be getting following games day 1

100ft Robo Golf

Batman Arkham VR

Driveclub VR

Eve Valkyrie

Here they lie

Until dawn rush of blood

Wayward sky

And really looking forward to playing some Hatsune Miku Project Diva X in VR

Cant wait now, went in yesterday to my local EB and ordered Eve Valkyrie. Can't wait to get that as my first VR platinum 

• Like 1

The positive person will be thinking that Capcom have included VR capability as they can understand that maybe a good amount of the player base WILL be getting VR.

The vast majority of people are still going to be playing without PSVR. It's unreasonable to expect people to buy an expensive peripheral just to play your game. Capcom know this, hence why it's not a VR exclusive. That would be suicide.

• Like 2

I just made sure I will get move controllers come release, I don't want to miss out on Batman.

I just said if I were given the chance to try it out and see if it was the one device that wouldn't be uncomfortable for me, I would.

Well, you're also forgetting where I say it's probably a gimmick.  I don't have much faith in Sony with their extras for consoles as they never do continue to support them (Move and Vita are good examples here) and have a hard time getting third party developers continue making games for it (which would be what I'm most interested in, Square Enix however have already went back on what they said about FFXIV being able to play in VR though and what I seen of the footage they shown of FFXV's VR mini-game, it kind of looked terrible and I have a hard time seeing how that's immersive).  Resident Evil VII on the other hand looks like it would be a better experience in VR than playing it without (it's a whole pile of jump scares which everyone is used to by now in horrors), but as you can see, Capcom have given players the option as they can understand that maybe a good majority of the player base will not be getting VR.

I really just see it being something that will die off, the only games I can see still being developed for it afterwards would be all the casual crap you seen published on Kinect/Move after their intial launchs.  That's what I see what the majority of VR's library will be like.  I added the glasses concern because that is actually a concern for most of us who wear glasses and get annoyed by having to wear anything in front of them.  I have a few friends who think the same as me even though they have been told otherwise it's fine.  It's down to personal experience really.  You could find it okay, while someone else will just find it uncomfortable.

The vast majority of people are still going to be playing without PSVR. It's unreasonable to expect people to buy an expensive peripheral just to play your game. Capcom know this, hence why it's not a VR exclusive. That would be suicide.

Capcom is not "not making it exclusive" because they believe not enough people will play on VR. They are adding VR features at all because they believe there's enough additional sales in it to warrant the costs, they expect more to make more profit out of the game with VR than without.

Really large games like Moto Racer 4 or Ace Combat will not be VR required for now but small titles from big devs that are VR required are popping up left and right, like Batman, and even a couple of semi-big titles like EVE Valkyrie - Ubisoft is even backing VR with two (semi-)big VR required titles in Eagle Flight and Star Trek Bridge Crew, while Crytek's Robinson seems to be VR required as well. Add to that a ton of digital-only VR required games from small to semi-big devs...

The three arguments that every naysayer goes to are "it's just a fad", "Move was a failure" and "Vita was a failure". These naysayers always manage to ignore a couple of things: VR is not just an extra set of motion controls like Move (which was a Wii motion clone, and only gets to show its true potential now in combination with VR), VR is not a handheld console like Vita (one that was released when digital phones could play loads of games at that), and VR already has had more AAA titles announced for its platform than Move and Vita combined. VR is more than just a fad because a lot of people have been fantasising about virtual reality for decades.We're playing a few silly games now but I have little doubt that we'll use it soon so Average Joe can stand on the top of Mount Everest. We'll use it as (space) flight simulators. People who can't walk and would have to sit at home all day can still explore the world, in a way.

For now the main function of VR is gaming though. As more and more titles are revealed, and as many stores report that they've run out of pre-orders, it would seem that both developers and players really have confidence in VR. True, confidence can be misplaced sometimes (No Man's Sky pre-orders were sold out at a few places as well), but the trust is comming from multiple directions now.

I just wished that once, there'd be someone against VR who has actually tried a couple of games because then we could have a real argument. Literally every person I've seen going against VR on this site has not played anything on VR. Once you move a bit closer, you can see that all the evidence points to a long lifespan for VR, even if not every gamer will be into it. Even my wife enjoyed playing VR for crying out loud, while usually not being into gaming and never having met any kind of 3D that worked for her eyes before.

P.S. It appears on the EU PS blog that today we'll get some information on "non-game experiences".

• Like 3

Im picking up the $500 Bundle with all the stuff needed and i also have Batman Arkham VR and Until Dawn: Rush of Blood pre ordered. So excited! I think the difference in the supporters and the haters is what you expect to get out of it. No, im not expecting to use it daily or get AAA 30 plus hour experiences all the time. So im stoaked!

Edited by WatertownsFinest
  • Like 2

Im picking up the $500 Bundle with all the stuff needed and i also have Batman Arkham VR and Until Dawn: Rush of Blood pre ordered. So excited! I think the differents in the supporters and the haters is what you expect to get out of it. No, im not expecting to use it daily or get AAA 30 plus hour experiences all the time. So im stoaked!

Personally I think it might even be unhealthy to play a thirty hour game on it, its strength lies in short experiences in my eyes.

Im picking up the $500 Bundle with all the stuff needed and i also have Batman Arkham VR and Until Dawn: Rush of Blood pre ordered. So excited! I think the differents in the supporters and the haters is what you expect to get out of it. No, im not expecting to use it daily or get AAA 30 plus hour experiences all the time. So im stoaked!

I'm not a hater by any stretch but that's why I'm not getting one. For £350 I would absolutely have to get multiple 30+ hour experiences from it for it to be worth it to me. Maybe in time there will be but I suspect that will be the problem. You need the install base to get those kind of games and you need those kind of games to get the install base.

I'm on the fence with VR. If it doesn't work out I won't be too bothered. If it does, they'll get the game library needed for me to make that investment and I'll happily jump in. I'll just wait and see what happens

Edited by Cleggworth

I'm not a hater by any stretch but that's why I'm not getting one. For £350 I would absolutely have to get multiple 30+ hour experiences from it for it to be worth it to me. Maybe in time there will be but I suspect that will be the problem. You need the install base to get those kind of games and you need those kind of games to get the install base.

I'm on the fence with VR. If it doesn't work out I won't be too bothered. If it does, they'll get the game library needed for me to make that investment and I'll happily jump in. I'll just wait and see what happens

Right and i totally agree with you, that if that's what you want out of it, then i would hold out until the games you're looking for in a VR unit come out, or the price drops. The only meaty games i can think of thats AAA is Resident Evil 7, and Grand Turismo. 

Edited by WatertownsFinest