PSVR Already Making Profits, Tremendous Demand Seen at GameStop

SupaTrupa1

With Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe’s Jim Ryan revealing yesterday that Sony will sell “many hundreds of thousands” of PlayStation VR headsets at launch, SIE America President Shawn Layden has told Polygon in a pre-launch interview that the company is making a profit on every PSVR unit sold.
Layden made the comment after declining to say if they were thinking of doing a PSVR upgrade in the future, similar to the PS4 and PS4 Pro. He added, “I’m still ten days away from getting the first generation out the door. This is a new frontier for all of us, Sony and its players. Anyone who says they can predict the future is not telling the truth. But people do feel like the time has come for bringing VR to the consumer level. This is the year it all begins.”

In terms of PlayStation VR games, there are 30 at launch, with 20 more planned to come out by the end of 2016. Because there’s such a wide variety of titles available on day one, Layden admits that no one knows what the killer app will be:

We’re trying to take the whole gaming experience, trying to imagine if you could immerse yourself and be inside the game what would be the best title. So right now our games are really right across the board. From Thumper to Headmaster to EVE to becoming the Batman, there are a lot of different things to see where the VR market goes.
No one knows what the killer app is going to be.

The lack of a clear killer app hasn’t hurt PlayStation VR sales though, as many retailers around the world are currently out of stock. As GameStop COO Tony Bartel told The Street, many of their stores will be sold out by the end of today:

We saw tremendous demand, and in fact right now many of our stores will be sold out of the first wave of Sony’s PlayStation VR by tonight. We are working with them to try and get more product.

best-buy-playstation-vr-demos-652x368.jp

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2016/10/14/sony-already-selling-playstation-vr-profit-tremendous-demand-seen-gamestop/

Edited by SupaTrupa1

Every store in my area in southwest Washington is out of stock for the Playstation VR.

I'm not getting one until 2018 at the earliest. That way there will be a lot more games available for the platform and I can pick and choose what titles are best for me.

• Like 1

From working at GameStop, I sure as hell know these things are selling.. I've personally sold 6 of them the other day when I was working. Not sure if this goes for the entire country, all I know is that my regional &district manager want these headsets out of the store ASAP. There's even a little solution selling article on our "hub" page at work for effectively selling a VR headset lol.

There's still stores in my area if I'm not mistaken that are still stocked with them, but I don't believe by a lot.

Edited by DuckSwimmer
  • Like 2

I don't want to be a party pooper here, but didn't the Kinect do really well at launch too? We all know how that turned out. <_<

I wouldn't put too much faith in these figures as it doesn't necessarily mean it'll sell well in the long term. We know stock was limited at launch, so it's not too much of a surprise to know it's getting sold out.

I hope PSVR does well, I'm just not going to start celebrating until the storm has calmed. :P

I don't like that they used the words "making a profit on every PSVR unit sold." It makes it seem like they've marked it up more than it's worth. I'd like it better if they broke even on each unit sold and made profits on the games sold.

Sony has been making a profit on every PS4 sold too since launch, so this isn't anything new. The PS3 was sold at a loss, but Sony isn't in a position to do something like that right now.

PSVR is a risky move on their part. If they sold it at a loss and nobody bought it, that would be disastrous for them. At least if they're making a profit from every unit sold, they would be in a better position.

Edited by Undead Wolf

I don't want to be a party pooper here, but didn't the Kinect do really well at launch too? We all know how that turned out. <_<

I wouldn't put too much faith in these figures as it doesn't necessarily mean it'll sell well in the long term. We know stock was limited at launch, so it's not too much of a surprise to know it's getting sold out.

I hope PSVR does well, I'm just not going to start celebrating until the storm has calmed. :P

Sony has been making a profit on every PS4 sold too since launch, so this isn't anything new. The PS3 was sold at a loss, but Sony isn't in a position to do something like that right now.

PSVR is a risky move on their part. If they sold it at a loss and nobody bought it, that would be disastrous for them. At least if they're making a profit from ever unit sold, they would be in a better position.

While I agree this doesn't necessarily mean it will stay like this on a long term, the Kinect and the PSVR are two completely different devices, that were sold on two completely different systems and at a different time. Little things like that can totally change how a product will do on sales.

I repeat, I'm not saying it will be a success or that it will be a failure since no one can know for sure. I too won't be getting one for now cause I just don't have the money for it, maybe at some point in the future I will depending how it'll end up doing.

This is great to see. Regardless of your opinions on VR the support of early adopters is crucial to the future success and development of this product. And that will benefit everyone. I'm glad to be in on this Day one and look forward to an exciting future as it is refined, researched and it's future implications better understood. Perhaps it may not be for everyone today but this support ensures it will at least be an option for them in the future.

• Like 1

While I agree this doesn't necessarily mean it will stay like this on a long term, the Kinect and the PSVR are two completely different devices, that were sold on two completely different systems and at a different time. Little things like that can totally change how a product will do on sales.

They are different devices, but they still share a lot of similarities. I don't believe the systems they were on make much difference. I mean the audience for the Xbox 360 are pretty similar to the audience for the PS4. They are both console peripherals that were advertised as a new way to play games. The problem with Kinect was that while it was interesting tech, it didn't really work for games, so for the most part all we got were shallow experiences. PSVR needs to be careful not to fall into the same trap. It needs more than tech demos and short "experiences" to prove its worth to us gamers. I think PSVR is a lot more promising than the Kinect ever was, but it needs great games if it's ever going to succeed.

i just hope this isn't the future of gaming. i still prefer to play my games in the "old and boring" way. i know that won't happen for now obviously.

The people who declare this "the future of gaming" really have no idea what they're talking about. The traditional way we play games won't be going away. If this is handled correctly, I believe VR could supplement how we play games, not replace it.

• Like 1

They are different devices, but they still share a lot of similarities. I don't believe the systems they were on make much difference. I mean the audience for the Xbox 360 are pretty similar to the audience for the PS4. They are both console peripherals that were advertised as a new way to play games. The problem with Kinect was that while it was interesting tech, it didn't really work for games, so for the most part all we got were shallow experiences. PSVR needs to be careful not to fall into the same trap. It needs more than tech demos and short "experiences" to prove its worth to us gamers. I think PSVR is a lot more promising than the Kinect ever was, but it needs great games if it's ever going to succeed.

The people who declare this "the future of gaming" really have no idea what they're talking about. The traditional way we play games won't be going away. If this is handled correctly, I believe VR could supplement how we play games, not replace it.

I understand you think it doesn't, but it does, at least a bit. Xbox 360's audience was a bit different than the PS3's audience, and the same thing applies nowadays with the XB1 and PS4's player base. One was more inclined to FPS and western co-op games while the other was more aimed to RPGs, Japanese stuff, interactive dramas, etc. This is why some games tend to sell better on one system rather than on the other, since people buys a certain console them depending on their tastes, which can also affect how a peripheral will do. The Kinect would've or would've not had the same success if it was released for the PS3 instead.

The main problem with the Kinect was not too many people had either too much space on their room to make it work properly or they just weren't interested to stand up and use their body to play it, or they thought they would look silly doing it. Meanwhile while there are people who aren't willing to put a VR headset on their head at least it looks a little more appealing to them 'cause they can play it using a normal controller while being sit down.

Also I believe the VR is being adopted by a lot of other devices, such like mobiles, PCs, etc... while the Kinect was pretty much all alone by itself and didn't managed to convince too many people as the "future of gaming".

Lastly, is not like the PS VR will only be about "small experiences", aren't big games like Resident Evil 7 and Rise of the Tomb Raider going to support PS VR one way or another? and I think Call of Duty too? at least companies like EA said they'll wait and see how the PS VR will do before starting to develop games for it. Outlast's devs also said they might think about making Outlast 2 a PS VR-compatible game, but since they are a small team they'll wait and see how well it would do on sales first before thinking about it.

Edited by SupaTrupa1

i just hope this isn't the future of gaming. i still prefer to play my games in the "old and boring" way. i know that won't happen for now obviously.

There are still people playing old DOS Prompt games from the 1980s and 1990s and posting them via Let's Plays on Youtube.

Then of course you just buy the Pac-Man games and the old Atari Classics and play them straight on the PS4.

I understand you think it doesn't, but it does, at least a bit. Xbox 360's audience was a bit different than the PS3's audience, and the same thing applies nowadays with the XB1 and PS4's player base. One was more inclined to FPS and western co-op games while the other was more aimed to RPGs, Japanese stuff, interactive dramas, etc. This is why some games tend to sell better on one system rather than on the other, since people buys a certain console them depending on their tastes, which can also affect how a peripheral will do. The Kinect would've or would've not had the same success if it was released for the PS3 instead.

But many 360 owners jumped ship to PS4 this generation, and besides, like 95% of the games that are on Xbone are also on PS4, including shooters and what not. Even Call of Duty calls the PS4 its home now. The PS4 just happens to appeal to fans of Japanese games too. I don't think the there's as much as a difference you believe there to be. As far as I know, pretty much every multiplatform game sells better on PS4. It has a larger install base after all.

The main problem with the Kinect was not too many people had either too much space on their room to make it work properly or they just weren't interested to stand up and use their body to play it, or they thought they would look silly doing it. Meanwhile while there are people who aren't willing to put a VR headset on their head at least it looks a little more appealing to them 'cause they can play it using a normal controller while being sit down.

You still need a decent amount of space for PSVR to work though. The camera needs to be far enough away from you to pick up the movements, and there's there's games where you'll have to wave the Move controllers around and such. Also, I'm sure there will be games where you have to stand up. Not everyone will have access to that much room. Then there's other issues like motion sickness and what not. There's plenty of hurdles that go along with PSVR.

Also I believe the VR is being adopted by a lot of other devices, such like mobiles, PCs, etc... while the Kinect was pretty much all alone by itself and didn't managed to convince too many people as the "future of gaming".

I'd argue that Kinect was Microsoft's attempt at replicating the success of the Wii and motion controls. Sony's attempt was with the PlayStation Move. In the end, they both failed. The Wii was the only device that came out on top in that battle.

Lastly, is not like the PS VR will only be about "small experiences", aren't big games like Resident Evil 7 and Rise of the Tomb Raider going to support PS VR one way or another? and I think Call of Duty too? at least companies like EA said they'll wait and see how the PS VR will do before starting to develop games for it. Outlast's devs also said they might think about making Outlast 2 a PS VR-compatible game, but since they are a small team they'll wait and see how well it would do on sales first before thinking about it.

Yeah, Resident Evil 7 is one. I think it's a big win for Sony to have that playable all the way through in PSVR. The only problem is that it's not a VR exclusive game, so I don't think it will convince many to buy a PSVR when they can play the game without it. As for Rise of the Tomb Raider and Call of Duty, as far as I'm aware, they just have small modes that can be played with PSVR. I doubt they would take more than a few hours to get through.

Edited by Undead Wolf

Yeah, Resident Evil 7 is one. I think it's a big win for Sony to have that playable all the way through in PSVR. The only problem is that it's not a VR exclusive game, so I don't think it will convince many to buy a PSVR when they can play the game without it.

but it can make the game sell better on ps4 than on other platforms just by the thought that "they could be able to play it on vr at some point", looking at some youtube's comments i read about people who will buy it on ps4 rather than on xbox one because they might contemplate experiencing it on vr in the future. it certainly makes that version a little more appealing, even if they are planning to buy a ps vr straight away or not.

Edited by smellslikejavier

But many 360 owners jumped ship to PS4 this generation, and besides, like 95% of the games that are on Xbone are also on PS4, including shooters and what not. Even Call of Duty calls the PS4 its home now. The PS4 just happens to appeal to fans of Japanese games too. I don't think the there's as much as a difference you believe there to be. As far as I know, pretty much every multiplatform game sells better on PS4. It has a larger install base after all.

You still need a decent amount of space for PSVR to work though. The camera needs to be far enough away from you to pick up the movements, and there's there's games where you'll have to wave the Move controllers around and such. Also, I'm sure there will be games where you have to stand up. Not everyone will have access to that much room. Then there's other issues like motion sickness and what not. There's plenty of hurdles that go along with PSVR.

I'd argue that Kinect was Microsoft's attempt at replicating the success of the Wii and motion controls. Sony's attempt was with the PlayStation Move. In the end, they both failed. The Wii was the only device that came out on top in that battle.

Yeah, Resident Evil 7 is one. I think it's a big win for Sony to have that playable all the way through in PSVR. The only problem is that it's not a VR exclusive game, so I don't think it will convince many to buy a PSVR when they can play the game without it. As for Rise of the Tomb Raider and Call of Duty, as far as I'm aware, they just have small modes that can be played with PSVR. I doubt they would take more than a few hours to get through.

I'm too much tired to argue so I'll just agree with everything you said and move on xD although not every VR game will require the PS Camera. Some of them will be playable only by using your controller, others will require the Move, and others will require both the Move and the Camera.

So you could say that while you definitely needed plenty of room to use all of Kinect's games you won't need it for some VR games. I don't know how many games will require the Camera and Move, hopefully is not the majority but I haven't paid too much attention to it so I don't know.

Edited by SupaTrupa1

I'm too much tired to argue so I'll just agree with everything you said and move on xD although not every VR game will require the PS Camera. Some of them will be playable only by using your controller, others will require the Move, and others will require both the Move and the Camera.

So you could say that while you definitely needed plenty of room to use all of Kinect's games you won't need it for some VR games. I don't know how many games will require the Camera and Move, hopefully is not the majority but I haven't paid too much attention to it so I don't know.

I'd say it was more a debate than an argument, but fair enough. xD  

I'll just add that I'm pretty sure every PSVR game requires the camera. That's how the movement of the headset and controllers is tracked. The camera picks up on the lights emitted out of them.

I'll just add that I'm pretty sure every PSVR game requires the camera.

I can confirm that the camera is 100% needed. I'm telling all the customers that come into my store that. It says so on the updated version of the PlayStation Camera box. Either on the side or the back of it.

Edited by DuckSwimmer

You still need a decent amount of space for PSVR to work though. The camera needs to be far enough away from you to pick up the movements, and there's there's games where you'll have to wave the Move controllers around and such.

I just want to share my experiences after 2 days regarding this.

I have tinkered with position of the camera, where I sit, how much arm room and leg room that I need to fully play on PSVR and this is what I have found...

I sit on a chair (just a regular kitchen chair, which is 4-5ft away from my TV and camera which is perched in front of the TV. My camera is slightly lower than my head so I lift it up a little with blu tac and I am then perfectly centered in the square during setup, these parameters are then never changed so I remain consistent each time I play.

Regarding leg room, 4-5ft is way more than I could need, so I know I can stretch my legs out if I want to whilst playing, and regarding arm movement, just as long as you can hold your arms out straight both in front of, to the side of you and above you without hitting anything then you will be perfectly fine assuming you remain seated ofcourse because then your position does not change and as such neither does the objects that could be obstructive either.

Sony does say it is best to stay seated during play and I would 100% go along with this, PSVR can be a bit disorientating and when I played the demo in August I was standing up and I felt my balance swaying, I was not perfectly balanced and when I took off the headset I was stood a foot or so away from when I started although I didn't think I had moved.

If taking the above into consideration and seeing what works best for each person then I see absolutely no reason why even modest sized rooms would not be fine to use with PSVR.

• Like 2

Someone answer me this.. Can you play PS VR using the standard PS4 controller and without standing up/looking around. I would love to get a PS VR in time but I want to have exactly the same experience as I am now just more in the game, I want to be able to control the game (looking left and right optional) as I normally would just using the VR. If it's more like the Kinect where it demands space I don't have much room so it would be a nuisance for me. 

The lack of a clear killer app hasn’t hurt PlayStation VR sales though

Summer Lesson says hi :awesome:

I honestly think that it will only take a few months until PS VR is the best selling headset.

I believe that was expected from the start.

No one could expect OR or even Vive to outsell PSVR when they are almost double and double PSVR price.