A Casual Attack on Your Backlog

4 hours ago, Such-A-Goonie said:

Nice, I'm playing FFXIV too. What server are you on? I'm on Cactuar (US, Aether servers), character name is Nimpelspin Fizzelpin. I don't have the platinum yet (getting there though), but it's my main game so I'm not going to just hunt for the trophies. All I do is craft, pretty much, so if you want any advice: feel free to ask!

(For the trophies just quicksynth a ton of level 1 stuff, I guess though... :-P)

Nice, i started playing it on PC not long after ARR came out. Bought it on PS4 couple of years ago and it just got lost in my backlog after playing for a few hours. I'm on Zodiark (eu server). I decided to get a load of the crafting stuff out of the way, just the grind for the shards thats getting annoying so far.

1 minute ago, rikwebb said:

Nice, i started playing it on PC not long after ARR came out. Bought it on PS4 couple of years ago and it just got lost in my backlog after playing for a few hours. I'm on Zodiark (eu server). I decided to get a load of the crafting stuff out of the way, just the grind for the shards thats getting annoying so far.

You can send your retainers out for shards if they are either a botanist or miner. If you level and gear them, they both take back 60 shards per hour or so. You can also grow them with gardening. If you don't have access to an actual garden, you can buy two planters for your apartment (assuming you have one). You can also do certain low-level leves. If you search in the available leves a bit, there's bound to be a few that give 40-60 shards for an easy low-level turn-in.

Buying them is an option too, but shard, crystal and cluster prices on the market board are ridiculous right now. I guess it's because a lot of people are trying to level their crafters before Stormblood is released.

I'm working on the leve and fate grind, but MAN, that's slow. xD

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Such-A-Goonie said:

You can send your retainers out for shards if they are either a botanist or miner. If you level and gear them, they both take back 60 shards per hour or so. You can also grow them with gardening. If you don't have access to an actual garden, you can buy two planters for your apartment (assuming you have one). You can also do certain low-level leves. If you search in the available leves a bit, there's bound to be a few that give 40-60 shards for an easy low-level turn-in.

Buying them is an option too, but shard, crystal and cluster prices on the market board are ridiculous right now. I guess it's because a lot of people are trying to level their crafters before Stormblood is released.

I'm working on the leve and fate grind, but MAN, that's slow. xD

I had no idea you could do that, will try that out tonight if i get chance, thanks!

4 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Portal 1, Portal 2, The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time, The Legend Of Zelda: A Breath Of The Wild, The Day Of The Tentacle, Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis, Super Star Wars, Unravel and Batman: Arkham Asylum all would like to have a word with you.

I always think it's weird when people say "there's no such thing as a perfect game" or "every game has flaws". Nah, flawless games exist, it then just becomes a matter of wheter or not the game works for you. For instance, someone on this site recently claimed that Uncharted 4 was flawed amongst other things because it used climbing sections as "padding", while personally I was glad there was more platforming this time around because I got annoyed by the beefy shooting sections in the first trilogy, and I would never call the climbing sections padding.

Well, then "perfect" probably has a different meaning for you than it has for me... Yes, those games you mentioned are great, and those i played (and i played most of them) i loved - Day of the Tentacle being one of my favorite games of all time. And most of them would get a 10/10 from me. But that does not equal perfection. 

Perfection for me is a goal to aim for which can never be achieved. Portal 2 is better than Portal 1, Day of the Tentacle was better than Indiana Jones. But how can something be better than a perfect game? Thats not possible! 

Also, to be perfect, there cant be a single moment, a single instance where im in the slightest annoyed by anything, be it as minor as it gets... There cant be a single thing, that i would prefer they did differently. And that just is not possible. 

And last but not least, you cant possibly say any game is objectively perfect. That would mean everybody loves it, and there will always be people who dont like a game. 

So, if you say there are games that are perfect in your opinion, i say fine, your opinion is valid and whatever you say it is. But at the  same time, my opinion that there is no such thing as a perfect game is just as valid. 

And i somebody tells me their favorite game is Ride to hell Retribution, and its perfect, i say to them, thats their valod opinion. They are batshit crazy, but still... ;)

Edited by gernboes
Phone typos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gernboes said:

Well, then "perfect" probably has a different meaning for you than it has for me... Yes, those games you mentioned are great, and those i played (and i played most of them) i loved - Day of the Tentacle being one of my favorite games of all time. And most of them would get a 10/10 from me. But that does not equal perfection. 

Perfection for me is a goal to aim for which can never be achieved. Portal 2 is better than Portal 1, Day of the Tentacle was better than Indiana Jones. But how can something be better than a perfect game? Thats not possible! 

There are different degrees of perfection. Portal was perfect as the small experiment, Portal 2 as the full-sized title that followed. Tentacle was a comedy while Atlantis was an adventure.

For me, perfection is about being devoid of flaws. Someone can mention something they don't like about the game - if it's a flaw (combat mechanics in Assassin's Creed II), the game is not perfect but if it's simply about taste (Tentacle is not my sense of humour) the game can still be perfect. It's the difference between a pizza with toppings you don't like, and a pizza that's undercooked.

Also, to be perfect, there cant be a single moment, a single instance where im in the slightest annoyed by anything, be it as minor as it gets... There cant be a single thing, that i would prefer they did differently. And that just is not possible. 

I agree, which is why I did not mention Sam & Max Hit The Road, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, Mario Kart 8, The Witcher III, Grand Theft Auto V... Because no matter how great those games were, I found at least one flaw in them, no matter how small. The games I mentioned were flawless, at least I believe so.

And last but not least, you cant possibly say any game is objectively perfect. That would mean everybody loves it, and there will always be people who dont like a game. 

So, if you say there are games that are perfect in your opinion, i say fine, your opinion is valid and whatever you say it is. But at the  same time, my opinion that there is no such thing as a perfect game is just as valid. 

And i somebody tells me their favorite game is Ride to hell Retribution, and its perfect, i say to them, thats their valod opinion. They are batshit crazy, but still... ;)

Don't compare me to someone who likes Ride To Hell. That makes me feel ill. In fact I feel so wrong with this that I don't even feel like finishing my

Bit of an unplanned platinum, but it was backlog so it counts, I guess. :-)

Virginia (PS4)

A friend of mine mentioned both Twin Peaks and The X-Files yesterday, so that made me want to finally check out Virginia. Just got the platinum for it.

It's not as 'deep' as Twin Peaks (which is more of a corporate-caused clusterfuck than actually deep, in my opinion), but it's a really well-told story. The platinum has you go through the entire game twice, which is the best way to fully enjoy the game I think. You notice so many details and answer so much of the questions you have after the first playthrough. I really liked it.

20 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Don't compare me to someone who likes Ride To Hell. That makes me feel ill. In fact I feel so wrong with this that I don't even feel like finishing my

Haha, good one! :)

And what you said about different degrees of perfection just proves my point about different meanings of perfect. For me, there can be nothing above perfect, it is the pinnacle, and there can be only one. So two perfect games where one is better than the other is not possible. 

Also, there is not a single game where i did not find a single flaw... 

21 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

It's the difference between a pizza with toppings you don't like, and a pizza that's undercooked.

I wouldn't eat either pizza, but I get your point. Perfection is subjective, not objective. (Don't crucify me if I got that wrong, I was only 10 when I was told the difference between "subjective" and "objective" and I've since long forgotten. :( ) As the saying goes, one man's trash is another man's treasure. The key factor is: Did you enjoy it despite its problems?

For me, I enjoy inFAMOUS Second Son because of the unfolding story, the open world, and the side-quests. I do not like some of the trophies (a few are a {censored} to pull off and others are asking so much of you - I hate trophies which involve challenging yourself as I know I will die. Over. and. over. again. ?

That said, just because the game is "hard" for me and I dread playing it doesn't mean it sucks. It just means that it's not perfect for me. Some people can complete the game on Expert Difficulty without collecting any blast shards and still have a fun time. Hell, I've seem people speed-run the game and they enjoy doing that. Likewise, I will still try to platinum the Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5 collection even though the game might crash so often even with the patch. Does that mean the game is bad? No.

(SNIP) Didn't want to make this reply into an ancedote so I snipped a lewd analogy. Maybe I'll put it on my blog. ;)

In my opinion, I don't think there is such thing as an ultimate/perfect game .. If so , I wouldn't have to buy any other games because I would have found the perfect one . 

That said, there are a few masterpieces wich will make their mark through time and that I would qualify as 10/10:

Unravel, Little big planet , AC brotherhood, Last of Us , Witcher III , Golden Eye , Red dead redemption, Super Mario Bros 3 , Myst, Skyrim, .... 

Those games have a few flaws BUT, each and everyone of them made me feel like a kid, absorbed me in their world and was just such a blast to play i couldn't wait to come home to play them . This is my description of a perfect game. :) 

Update : probably this week I'll finish Ghost Recon:Wildlands so, a real update is coming soon for the backlog challenge. ;)

On 2017-4-24 at 7:27 AM, Chris1-1sirhC said:

Update:

1. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

Goal: Platinum

Current: 100%

2. Contrast 

Goal: 100% 

Current: 33%

3. The Unfinished Swan

Current: 61%

4. Jurassic Park: The Survivors 

Current: 80%

5. Jurassic Park: The Depths 

Current: 66%

Update:

1. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

Current: Platinum

2. Contrast 

Current: 33%

3. The Unfinished Swan

Current: 61%

4. Jurassic Park: The Survivors 

Current: 80%

5. Jurassic Park: The Depths 

Current: 100%

On 02/05/2017 at 7:58 AM, rikwebb said:

Final Fantasy 14 - 22% - Goal : Finish Story and some crafting parts (For now)

Lego Movie - 26% - Goal - Platinum

The Last Of Us - 8% Goal - Do Left Behind on Survivor and a few run throughs of the story + Collectables

Dragons Dogma - 7% - Goal - Finish Story

Final Fantasy X - 13 % - Goal - Platinum

Everybody's Gone To The Rapture 0% Goal - Platinum

Got some more crafting bits done on FF14, was away for the weekend and didn't get back until yesterday afternoon so i didn't have much time for games

Update:

Final Fantasy 14 - 23% - Goal : Finish Story and some crafting parts (For now) - Caught a Fish

Lego Movie - 64% - Goal - Platinum - Finished the story and started doing the misc trophies

The Last Of Us - 8% Goal - Do Left Behind on Survivor and a few run throughs of the story + Collectables

Dragons Dogma - 7% - Goal - Finish Story

Final Fantasy X - 13 % - Goal - Platinum

Everybody's Gone To The Rapture 0% Goal - Platinum

Season 2:

• Oceanhorn - Finish Story - Plat (Season 2) - 6/10
  • Severed - just get some general progress done (already started this one)
  • Valley - Finish Story - Plat (Season 2) - 6/10
  • Adventures of Mana - Finish Story
  • Sword Coast Legends - Play through the story once (Season 2) - 8/10
  • Destroy All Humans - Finish Story - Plat (Season 2) - 7/10
  • Final Fantasy VII (started during another event) - Finish Story
  • Far Cry Primal (just started) - plat

Added Far Cry Primal.for this season. It's fun so far, although there's way too much gathering to be done.

Continued with FF VII over the weekend. Got decent progress done, and got 2 more party members. I think I'm at the halfway point by now, searching for the temple of the ancients. Probably heading back to the golden saucer first though to get the bonus XP materia. Should probably have gotten that during the first visit... oh well.

Lb25e1b.png

Finished this yesterday. Seeing im only missing a few collectibles and a bit of grinding, ill go for the platinum as well. After that, ill be adding another VITA game to my list, so i have at least one portable game on it :)

As a fan of the series, i did enjoy the game storywise, but the gameplay wasnt exactly the best, especially the shooter parts. Those just controlled very clunky. Luckily, most encounters are actually puzzles disguised as shooting sequences. The story has some really dark themes, especially the backstorys of the villains, lets just say theres talk about child abuse...

I'll do the next OP Update probably tomorrow!

• Like 1

This is probably the most easy-going event I have encountered on the site, whatever i may or may not do I won't get booted, how refreshingly relaxing:popcorn:

Sign me up for :

Bioshock 1

Bioshock 2

Alien Isolation

I've never participated in an event before so i should make my debut here i think. I can't enter this season because i'm way to busy. But can i already enter my list for the season that starts on July the 1st?

In the case of yes these will be my games for that season:

Far Cry Primal

Current: 0%

Infamous Second Son:

Current: 1%

Wolfenstein The New Order (PS3)

The Order 1886

Killzone: Shadow Fall

Current: 1/11 Mp trophies

Goal: All base game multiplayer done

MXGP 2

Current: 4%

These should all be easily doable to play in a free summer, but maybe such an event motivates to go for some better games instead of finishing a lot of the easier shorter titles.

I could add another 10 of those because there are a lot of platinums on my list which can be finished in a single day.

I'll also definetely keep working on other titles that require multiplayer on my PS4

On 3-5-2017 at 0:59 PM, gernboes said:

Lfad333.png

I got really close to the end yesterday evening, and just could not stop playing, so i finally finished it and also got the platinum, so thats one off my list!

All in all a really great game. Good gameplay, interesting story, no boring sidequest, collectibles that arent too hidden and also not overwhelmingly many, and all Trophies manageable, so i cant really criticise this game for anything. (not saying its perfect - there is no such thing as a perfect game, but it only has minor issues in my opinion)

I have obtained the platinum yesterday and I feel like criticising the game, if I may...

1. Many of the faces are "off" in close-ups, somehow. Weird smiles, always intense eyes and weird lip movements are the most obvious. Props though to the face of Rost, which looks and moves excellent.
  2. Many of the quests are repetitive - side quests and 'current day' main quests are "follow tracks, kill robots/humans/both", and 'history discovery' main quests are "kill robots/humans/both, walk through ruins and find a video".
  3. The game takes a while to get going, personally I did not really come to care for it until I started to get more information on what happened in the 2060s.

That being said, I loved the game regardless of these flaws. The weirdness of the faces does not come close to reaching Mass Effect: Andromeda levels, the repetitive nature of the quests does not matter as much since combat is a lot of fun and the story is amazing with its many twists and turns that make sense, and after finishing the game I had almost forgotten that I was a bit bored in the first few hours. Amazing game, not flawless but really amazing and definitely the best media related entity to ever come out of The Netherlands by a long shot (sorry Carice).

Also, forgot to mention it here but I finished the main story of The Witcher III, finally. It has taken me a long time and a lot of distractions, but finally I got there.

Edited by BillyHorrible

5 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

I have obtained the platinum yesterday and I feel like criticising the game, if I may...

1. Many of the faces are "off" in close-ups, somehow. Weird smiles, always intense eyes and weird lip movements are the most obvious. Props though to the face of Rost, which looks and moves excellent.
  2. Many of the quests are repetitive - side quests and 'current day' main quests are "follow tracks, kill robots/humans/both", and 'history discovery' main quests are "kill robots/humans/both, walk through ruins and find a video".
  3. The game takes a while to get going, personally I did not really come to care for it until I started to get more information on what happened in the 2060s.

That being said, I loved the game regardless of these flaws. The weirdness of the faces does not come close to reaching Mass Effect: Andromeda levels, the repetitive nature of the quests does not matter as much since combat is a lot of fun and the story is amazing with its many twists and turns that make sense, and after finishing the game I had almost forgotten that I was a bit bored in the first few hours. Amazing game, not flawless but really amazing and definitely the best media related entity to ever come out of The Netherlands by a long shot (sorry Carice).

Also, forgot to mention it here but I finished the main story of The Witcher III, finally. It has taken me a long time and a lot of distractions, but finally I got there.

All valid points, but for me minor flaws (of that kind that can be found in every game, in my opinion).

I do disagree a bit about the quests though, because i thought especially for an open world game, the quests were pretty well made. What was really well done was that the distances often where pretty big, so the quests had often the feeling of a small expedition. Also, if you really break it down, the quests in every combat oriented game come down to "follow a route, kill enemies, press a button or pick something up..."

L791aa7.png

I played a bit of Doom, the first 3 or 4 missions, and so far, i really like it, very good gameplay, a "funny" story, and so far a very reasonable trophy list - although seemingly pretty glitchy, so depending on if i get glitches or not, i'll try for the plat...

Just got the Platinum on Ghost Recon: Wildlands:)  I loved the game, took a good 70 hours + to get the Platinum and it haven't felt like a grindfest at all. Had a couples of hilarious moments with my co-op partner. I would recommand to play it . 

As well, I got a B rank at Badlands so I can scratch this game of my backlog too. Fun but hard addictive little game :)

Season 2 Update:

AC: Brotherhood / 16% / finish story 

SR:gat out of hell / 8% / story + 50%

Life is strange/ 64% / platinum

Homefront revolution / 0% / story + 50%

Tower of deadly monsters / 0% / Plat

** Games taken off backlog since S2 **

Shantae risky's revenge

Mafia III

Badlands

Unravel 

Ghost Recon: Wildlands

13 hours ago, gernboes said:

All valid points, but for me minor flaws (of that kind that can be found in every game, in my opinion).

I'm not saying they are dealbreakers for me (I still love the game) but I still found it obvious enough to point out.

Forgot one, by the way: I did not like the collectables at all - at least the trophy related collectables, because I loved the 2060 audio/video/text collectables as they actually added some sense of discovery to the game. I did not care about the Banuk toys or the flowers at all. The Vantage points were kind of cool at first though.

And I disagree with the statement that stuff like this can be found in every game - as these were points that made me enjoy the game less, and just like in our previous discussion on degrees of perfection, I can honestly say that there are games where I can't find anything wrong with them. The issues I mentioned about HZD were actual issues to me, and I would have enjoyed the game more if those had been fixed. I still loved the game regardless so yeah they're not that big of a deal, but still I would like to see these issues gone in the sequel.

13 hours ago, gernboes said:

I do disagree a bit about the quests though, because i thought especially for an open world game, the quests were pretty well made. What was really well done was that the distances often where pretty big, so the quests had often the feeling of a small expedition. Also, if you really break it down, the quests in every combat oriented game come down to "follow a route, kill enemies, press a button or pick something up..."

Not true, as there are plenty of games who mix up stuff - take Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag for instance, with different missions (travel/climbing, combat, stealth, tracking) both on land and with your ship. HZD actually teases stealth missions in the tutorial when you have to get to that guy by going from grass to grass while looking at the robot tracks. I would have enjoyed it a lot if the game had taken away your weapons a couple of times, forcing you to get past robots by stealth instead of combat. Once the actual game starts though, you can always get by just by killing everything in sight.

Again, I loved HZD in the end, there's just a bunch of stuff I noticed of which I think it has been done better by other games in the past.

Basically only played Far Cry Primal during this past week. Made some decent progress though, so that's good.

I'm going to take a guess and say that I'm at the last third of the game by now. Still have 2 major hunting quests left, a bunch of outposts to take over as well as forts, and 2 NPCs to rescue and subsequently pimp out their houses. Everything else is just the general misc nonsense of doing side quests, kills with specific weapons and collectible gathering. Although I suspect, that I'll be farming quite a bit of XP after all that.

L791aa7.png

Finished Doom today. Really a great game with great gameplay, very good music, and unexpectedly a pretty interesting story. I'm still trying to figure out how this ties in with the other games, if at all, and a few other details of it. The multiplayer is forgettable, but the single player alone is worth it without question. Also, so far i seem to not have encountered any glitched trophies, so i'll try to get the platinum. I'm only missing a few collectibles, Mission challenges, two of the runes and the first level on the highest difficulty...

Also, i'll be on vacation for two weeks starting this saturday, so in that time there will be no postings from me. I'll do another update on friday and the next when i'm back, then i also will put another game on my list for PS4 and one for the VITA, so i'll have one game for each system.