WORST PSN Games?

Hazalos-

The solution to that is better discoverability/navigation tools/UI on the store. Not preventing player choice. 

Like I said above (page 1, somewhere), certification costs are a natural barrier to entry for the types of games that go on iTunes/Steam. The economics of launching on PS Store mean that shovelware (in the iTunes/Steam sense) won't be worth the investment/risk for those kind of games. 

It doesn't seem like the mobile stores have figured out how to do this.  I don't have a lot of confidence that Sony will either.

So then the question is what made the certification costs worth it for Mayo and will they make it profit?  Thankfully most developers take the route of trying to put out a quality product and hoping that the merits of the game create a buzz that sells copies. If Mayo makes money, even a marginal profit, it certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility that some companies will adopt a volume approach instead of a quality one, putting out cheap and fast to produce titles aimed at a different audience. Their profit margins per title may be thinner, but added up over a number of separate titles all put out over a relatively short span of time could be quite lucrative.  I don't think we've really seen this approach on PSN so it is hard to say if it will work and if it will be sustainable over any kind of time span over a number of different titles. While player choice is well and good, I think most would agree that they don't want to see the mobile model on Sony systems, even if to a lesser degree because of certification costs.

It doesn't seem like the mobile stores have figured out how to do this.  I don't have a lot of confidence that Sony will either.

So then the question is what made the certification costs worth it for Mayo and will they make it profit?  Thankfully most developers take the route of trying to put out a quality product and hoping that the merits of the game create a buzz that sells copies. If Mayo makes money, even a marginal profit, it certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility that some companies will adopt a volume approach instead of a quality one, putting out cheap and fast to produce titles aimed at a different audience. Their profit margins per title may be thinner, but added up over a number of separate titles all put out over a relatively short span of time could be quite lucrative.  I don't think we've really seen this approach on PSN so it is hard to say if it will work and if it will be sustainable over any kind of time span over a number of different titles. While player choice is well and good, I think most would agree that they don't want to see the mobile model on Sony systems, even if to a lesser degree because of certification costs.

Because of the certification costs/process, I doubt we'll see a deluge of My Name is... type games. On Mobile, copy-catting can work because there's no barrier to entry, and free-to-play is the norm for all games. Spend a week developing it, throw it into the churn, and see what happens. 

I'd say that iTunes does a much better job of highlighting their good games. The App Store has a weekly, curated, "new and noteworthy" section, which appears to be done by employees who actually understand games and apps. Not all will be good, but there's usually something to like in each one if you are into mobile gaming. Sony could actually take a lesson there, and it wouldn't be too hard to implement. Just hire a few people* who understand games and community management to play everything that releases that week and submit the highlights to go into the "in case you missed these new releases" list. Separate tab on the store and you're done. 

And even if Sony's open door (provided you can pass certification) policy does lead to a deluge of those types of games, they won't sell well beyond the initial few, IMO. A one-off "can you believe this easy plat joke game" is one thing, but gamers will soon move on from them.

Or maybe I'm wrong and the My Name is studio will make a few more condiment games and sell really well. In that case - and I don't mean this to sound condescending - but who are you or me to want to deny those players who would get enjoyment out of the games their fun? 

Edit: *or get PlayStation communities - the feature they implemented a while ago and doesn't actually do much - like Kinda Funny's Colin & Greg to have a curator system. Heck, if they opened that up, maybe even all communities could have a curated list, allowing PSNProfiles community (the PSN one) to have a "This community likes these games" tab could be very helpful for us hunters looking for an easy score. All that data is there, by user likes and ratings on the PSN store already. Just combine that with the data of who is in which community and it could even be somewhat automated. 

Edited by StrickenBiged

Or maybe I'm wrong and the My Name is studio will make a few more condiment games and sell really well. In that case - and I don't mean this to sound condescending - but who are you or me to want to deny those players who would get enjoyment out of the games their fun? 

Just because I don't want the PS Store diluted with a ton of shallow mobile experiences doesn't mean I want to deny people their fun.  Traditional console and handheld gaming is my backyard, and mobile games need to get the hell off of my lawn.  xD

• Like 4

Aabs Animals...

Even though it's literally not a game, just a viewing portal for a kitty... I like that. lol~ Then again I play games like PlayStation Pups [hire me SCEE, I can come up with non shitty names for your games; lol PS Vita PETS when it's just dogs... the hell... smdh, and putting the platform a game is on in the title of the game is the pinnacle of lame and cheap looking] and EyePet.

Just because I don't want the PS Store diluted with a ton of shallow mobile experiences doesn't mean I want to deny people their fun.  Traditional console and handheld gaming is my backyard, and mobile games need to get the hell off of my lawn.  xD

A fucking Men. I always get criticized by people in real life because I personally think mobile gaming is absolute garbage, and even my brother says it's a stupid opinion because I refuse to ever spend a cent on that garbage.