What is it with games and random ridiculously difficult trophies?!

TBT_Nova

On 1/7/2017 at 4:03 PM, QuentinCle95 said:

Platinums aren't there to be easy, they can be as hard or easy as the devs want them to be. But yes, it can be frustrating. I remember finding some of the miscellaneous trophies in Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor outstandlingly frustrating. Same with Social Lubricant (before the patch.)

I bought Psychonauts myself, because it was on a huge sale a couple weeks ago. The PlaystationTrophies guide gives it a 3/10 difficulty. Is this trophy you mention really that hard? 

If I can add to this, I'm actually pleased that there are trophies which explore a player's acumen with various aspects of the game. For example, in World of Final Fantasy, the mini-game trophies actually made me go back and play the games, and a couple of them were quite fun.

There are some trophies which seem to add completely artificial difficulty, but I'm fine with that. I like trophies that reward mastery of a game, and even if an SMB comes along every now and again, that's fine.

It depends on the developer and what they decide to include in the trophy list. I suppose they put these random trophies in so you explore the game more and not just do the story line. Lots of games do this and Watch Dogs 2 is a good example. Lots of trophies in there that require you to go around the world and do tasks. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2017 at 8:55 AM, ProfBambam55 said:

creating a rage thread?...hmmm...many games have all kinds of different trophies...raging about one that actually makes you play the game a bit and work on skill/reaction time?...yes, i know, it's a pointless mini-game...you'll get it if that's your goal and likely feel good about getting it...would recommend this kind of thread/post in a status update or forum for said game...creating a thread that generalizes devs and their choices of what requirements are needed for a trophy a bit silly IMO and particularly when difficulty and enjoyment seem to be subjective...you could also not play the mini-game if it bothers you that much or skip the trophy requirements that you find ridiculous...gotta have 'em?...then why create a thread to complain?...

Why is it you're in all the threads being a white knight/social justice warrior?  Let the man speak his mind, it's his opinion he's allowed to say it. 

If YOU don't like it, then don't post here and skip this thread. 

I think his thread is spot on, there's a lot of bad trophies and unnecessary features tacked onto games lately. 

Edited by DARKB1KE
  • Like 4

Quotes and then does the same thing...good stuff...quality thread...not judging your right to have an opinion...i do appreciate  that you've taken the time to read all my posts though...as I said, skip the games/trophies you don't like...pretty simple...still don't see a reason to whine about it...

Edited by ProfBambam55

I can understand what you're saying when miscellaneous trophies become more difficult than completing the game on the hardest setting, but you don't have to do those trophies, they are completely optional. You don't have to do them to advance the story and finish the game.

You're completion rate is above 90%, same as me, so you have to accept for the most part being a completionist that the game you enjoy when you start will most likely feel like a blessing when it's over due for the most part because of getting those miscellaneous trophies. 100% completion on games usually takes any fun out of the game by the end.

If it wasn't for these miscellaneous trophies, every trophy list would be generic. Complete this or that chapter, complete the game on easy, medium, hard. A good trophy list of miscellaneous trophies pushes you to see all areas of the game that you probably would never have looked at if a trophy wasn't present, some will be easy and others difficult. I don't see any problem with that. The only exceptions I take are glitched trophies and unattainable trophies.

20 hours ago, DARKB1KE said:

Why is it you're in all the threads being a white knight/social justice warrior?  Let the man speak his mind, it's his opinion he's allowed to say it. 

If YOU don't like it, then don't post here and skip this thread. 

I think his thread is spot on, there's a lot of bad trophies and unnecessary features tacked onto games lately. 

I'm not talking about the specific person you're talking about but I'm speaking about what you mean in a general sense and i totally agree with you.

If people just complain about a game they get backlash because they've not stated why, but once some does complain about a game but gives an opinion on why they still get backlash 'don't play the game if you don't like it, no one is forcing you to play the game' and 'stop whining about the game'

Although couldn't I just say 'don't read this thread if you don't like it, no one is forcing you' yet they whine at you for giving your opinion... It's the same principle. Hypocrisy at its finest ?

• Like 2

This reminds me of Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time's platinum. There was this one bronze trophy that took epic effort to get 'My Blaster Runs Hot' or something where you had to get a 10k+ high score on the arcade machine at the Gladiator Arena. Good times.

I usually like a little challenge, but there ARE sometimes where I feel a trophy may be way too insanely difficult. It annoys me more when the trophy is only bronze. A good example is beating Uncharted on Hard is only worth a bronze, which I get that "Crushing" is the hardest difficulty, but I feel that "Hard" should at least be worth a silver. A game that comes to mind in terms of obnoxious for trophies is The Last of Us, which 8 out of the 24 base game trophies are for beating the game. You need to beat the game TWICE on Survivor (granted it's SLIGHTLY easier the second time due to upgrades) to get all the trophies.

At times where I feel the trophies are just too much effort to platinum the game, I just stop caring and enjoy the game on normal/Hard and don't care about plating. Sometimes you either need to just accept your skill level isn't high enough or go hard and play at it until you win it.

I will say though there ARE times where developers just throw in an annoying trophy to extend the gameplay time and that is when it's done "crappy" in my opinion. If a trophy is made to purposely just extend the gameplay time artificially I find that lazy. Like I can understand difficulty based trophies such as "play the game on hard mode" intended to add a challenge, but what I don't appreciate is when hard mode is locked until you beat the game so it basically becomes "play the entire game again" which is just artificially extending the game.

Edited by Cynthia-Roses
Added something
  • Like 1

On ‎2017‎-‎01‎-‎07 at 4:55 PM, TBT_Nova said:

This is a bit of a rage post nonetheless, but here goes. As I said in the title, what is it with games randomly putting in random trophies with extremely high difficulty which have nothing to do with the core game itself?

I'm currently running through Psychonauts, and there's a random trophy in here called "I LOVE PUNCHING" to complete a 5 levels of a minigame, which even the first level of said minigame seems to require the reaction time of a god. I don't understand why they put this in this game, as it has nothing to do with the main game itself.

It reminds me of a another trophy:

WATCH_DOGS: Social Lubricant: Complete level 10 against all 3 Drinking Game oppponents

Honestly, ridiculous trophies like these makes me remember the entire game negatively, since the time-consuming and frustrating experience ends up being the most memorable thing about the game. Why do developers continue to do this? (and I'm aware Psychonauts is a decade-old game, but I can only assume this damn challenge is in the original game too, and the trophy list was only recently created)

On ‎2017‎-‎01‎-‎08 at 10:55 AM, ProfBambam55 said:

creating a rage thread?...hmmm...many games have all kinds of different trophies...raging about one that actually makes you play the game a bit and work on skill/reaction time?...yes, i know, it's a pointless mini-game...you'll get it if that's your goal and likely feel good about getting it...would recommend this kind of thread/post in a status update or forum for said game...creating a thread that generalizes devs and their choices of what requirements are needed for a trophy a bit silly IMO and particularly when difficulty and enjoyment seem to be subjective...you could also not play the mini-game if it bothers you that much or skip the trophy requirements that you find ridiculous...gotta have 'em?...then why create a thread to complain?...

here's how i see it...i'm at work on my phone see new thread with subjective title and extreme teminology...*click*...read first post...see an entirely negative post with no sort of accountability...start wondering if op realizes he has a choice or is new to gaming since imo the games that could have subjectively "ridiculously difficult" trophies is like 50% or higher and have been there since trophies were added to games...*too lazy to check profile*...op has a problem, simple solution from what i see...make recommendations to post a status update; a superstitious almost surefire way to pass whatever obstacle lies in his way...also suggest posting in said games' thread...an excellent way to get help on this site with challenging trophies...no idea why he is generalizing devs...doesn't make any sense to me...still don't understand it...i hint at the addictivity of earning trophies in final thought...is there a problem with this?...i don't feel the post is unjustified nor personally offensive to the op in any way...not sure why the direct attack or generalising of my post behavior...also not sure what the white knight comment is all about since i'm not defending anything here just stating my opinion...i don't find the tone of my post any more/less offensive than that of the op...wouldn't the white knight in this situation be the person needlessly defending the op and who also feels the need to defame other members of the site...i'm pretty sure it's ok to have a difference of opinion with someone on this site (not sure though, not familiar with site etiquette that much)...and also pretty sure that subjectively attacking members negatively in a personal manner in threads is somewhat frowned upon (again, not sure of site etiquette; could be wrong)...if someone complains about the speed limit being too high you bet i'll be there saying "well, you don't have to drive"...that's just my style...first world problems...$hit, back to work...