The "WTF does that mean" Lingo thread

DaivRules

I have been trying to interpret certain words or phrases that members of this site use fairly regularly, but I have no idea what they mean. In order to reduce confusion, I'm compiling these words and definitions here. If you come across another quote or explanation from this site, send me the post and I'll add it!

Weeb - Is Japanese, looks Japanese. Also shorthand for Weeaboo.

Weeaboo - Non-Japanese person who becomes obsessed with Japanese culture to the point of denouncing their original culture

Chibi - An art style that's characterized by oversized heads and small bodies with an emphasis on cuteness. It literally means small/short person. OR Small anime characters with over inflated sized heads

Otome - Story based video game that generally one of the goals, besides the main plot goal, is to develop a romantic relationship between the female player character and one of several male characters. Translates to 'girl game.'

Moe -  Feelings of strong affection mainly towards characters in anime, manga, and video games

Tsundere - Alternates between Loving and Hating
Yandere - Crazy controlling/jealousy to the point of murder
Dandere - Shy

Kawaii - Cute

Desu desu - Japanese for 'it is', often said at the end of sentences to seem cute or unwitting

WaifuA female person you find attractive/sympathetic, you have a relationship with in your fantasy

Husbando - Opposite gender of Waifu

Otaku - Fan of a subject

Yaoi - Depicts men in relationships

Loli - Little girl, often meaning young (12-16 years old)

Lolicon - Depicts (young) girls in sexual situations

Baka - Fool or foolish pejorative

Baku - Insult meaning idiot, moron, etc

Oppai - Women's breasts (often large)

Naisu - Nice

Edited by DaivRules
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Otome - Story based video game that generally one of the goals, besides the main plot goal, is to develop a romantic relationship between the female player character and one of several male characters.

Moe -  Feelings of strong affection mainly towards characters in anime, manga, and video games

Both of these have additional common uses.

Otome game translates to "girl game." While not only enjoyable to females, they are the target audience.

Moe may also be used interchangeably with kawaii to describe something cute. Some purists would argue that they shouldn't be used interchangeably, but they are.

Edited by kuuhaku

I guess the context for the "definition" of weeb Satoshi used was "People instantly call anyone who plays/watches anything that is Japanese a weeb". It's a prejudice.

But it doesn't make you weeb. Because for "normal" people you are as said a weeb for playing Final Fantasy eg, just because it's Japanese. Even though it does look like a western game.

People use it as an insult because "how dare you to like different things than that what media is telling you to like?", or are just being without a reason racist.

A weeb is imo someone who's always using their anime-vocabulary, telling everyone how sugoii/kakkoii/kawaii everything is, desu. A ningen that is hating their own country just because it isn't Nippon and wants to see glorious Nippon. Because, yamete onegai, sasuga Nippon is mastaraisu you baka!  ...Was that authentic enough? I'm not that good in it, because I'm not weeb. Sorry. :P 

Actually... even animefans don't like weebs, because they are somehow annoying... But... I don't know. I wouldn't be mad about to have a weeb-girlfriend. I mean, at least she's okay with my hobbies and would even support them... Right? ;) 

Edited by Neputyunu
  • Like 1

I kind of like weebs. What I don't like is when someone from the anime crowd talks down to someone who isn't, simply because they don't know the lingo. That's why I like this thread. And with that in mind,

Tsundere - sulky, but with a heart of gold?

Yandere - controlling, but with a heart of gold?

Dandere - shy, but with a heart of gold?

Is there any -ere that doesn't have a heart of gold? For example, for people who have played Amnesia, is there an -ere term for

the serial killer who apparently will become your boyfriend in the joker path?

10 minutes ago, kuuhaku said:

Both of these have additional common uses.

Otome game translates to "girl game." While not only enjoyable to females, they are the target audience.

Moe may also be used interchangeably with kawaii to describe something cute. Some purists would argue that they shouldn't be used interchangeably, but they are.

I'd rather stay away from implications and stick to definitions. Having a target audience does not change the meaning of a thing so I'd rather not add that in.

While the context of words like Moe are definitely important, again I'm looking to really break down simple definitions for those of us who don't hear or read these words used often.

But please add this kind of stuff because as people want to know more and read the thread it'll help them understand better.

4 minutes ago, Neputyunu said:

Oh... good... :) 

Sorry... I have some complexes about "Nobody likes me D:" and stuff... 

1 minute ago, StrickenBiged said:

At the risk of derailing the thread further... (sorry @DaivRules) I like you and appreciate you being on the forum. :D

I also like @Neputyunu and am sorry that you felt that way. I have a feeling you can really help out this thread, so please stick around!!

Guys! Guys! *blushes* Stop it, before Sly is going to slap all of us... :giggle:  

uhm... Well, I uhm, not that good with that stuff, actually...

I actually don't get what this topic exactly is about?

Random anime related words?

Like Waifu? A female person you find attractive/sympathetic, you have a relationship with in your fantasy. (Husbando is the same in male)

Why not simply tag Satoshi in every post you make? :awesome: 

2 minutes ago, Bubblyfishes said:

what the fuck does "desu desu" mean? i see that term being thrown around a lot and it sounds like a child's first words while eating but i'm guessing that's not it

I forgot it. Sorry. But here is a video. :P 

Edit: It is / to be

Edited by Neputyunu
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I'd rather stay away from implications and stick to definitions. Having a target audience does not change the meaning of a thing so I'd rather not add that in.

While the context of words like Moe are definitely important, again I'm looking to really break down simple definitions for those of us who don't hear or read these words used often.

But please add this kind of stuff because as people want to know more and read the thread it'll help them understand better.

Yeah the literal translation of Otome game is girl game though. If you're talking about an otome game, you're talking about a girl game.

28 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

I kind of like weebs. What I don't like is when someone from the anime crowd talks down to someone who isn't, simply because they don't know the lingo. That's why I like this thread. And with that in mind,

Tsundere - sulky, but with a heart of gold?

Yandere - controlling, but with a heart of gold?

Dandere - shy, but with a heart of gold?

Is there any -ere that doesn't have a heart of gold? For example, for people who have played Amnesia, is there an -ere term for

Hide contents

the serial killer who apparently will become your boyfriend in the joker path?

None of them imply having a heart of gold.

Tsundere - sort of like hot and cold. At first, the person is very dismissive or angry with a person, but over time the person shows their gentler side. It is often used interchangeably with Maydere which is alternating between the love/hate aspects but never staying in one. Think of Kurisu's relationship with Okabe from Steins;Gate. She could be considered tsundere.

Yandere - definitely not a heart of gold. Yandere is someone who is generally crazy--often to the point of being murderous--and loves someone. If the object of their affection doesn't reciprocate the feelings, they often show the crazy side. They can also show the crazy side if someone else were to show affection toward the object of their affection. Think of Anakin's relationship with Padme throughout the prequels. He could be considered yandere.

Dandere - shy is on target here, but heart of gold is not. Dandere are shy and quiet and eventually open up toward the people they like. Think of Kif's relationship with Amy in Futurama. He could be considered dandere.

As for all the dere's, deredere loosely translates to "love" and the first part is the type of love.

As for the spoiler, I haven't played the game yet, but it seems yandere from the description.

Edited by kuuhaku
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Neputyunu said:

Guys! Guys! *blushes* Stop it, before Sly is going to slap all of us... :giggle:  

uhm... Well, I uhm, not that good with that stuff, actually...

I actually don't get what this topic exactly is about?

Random anime related words?

Like Waifu? A female person you find attractive/sympathetic, you have a relationship with in your fantasy. (Husbando is the same in male)

Why not simply tag Satoshi in every post you make? :awesome: 

ah, another mystery solved!

TL;DR for those interested: "Japanese for 'it is', often said at the end of sentences to seem cute or unwitting."

3 minutes ago, Brawler said:

Lol you have weeb and weeaboo as two different things but the former is a shorter way of saying the latter. 10/10 thread though. I'm definitely seeing what you're doing here.

You were the second person to bring that up. I was going by past experiences where people referred to stuff/items as weeb, but people as weeaboo. Apparently everyone is just using it however they want all over the place. Hence the reason for the thread! Updated Weeb.

5 minutes ago, HaserPL said:

I don't know where did you found this definition... Otaku mean's nolife. If you are a person which seat in his room for 24/7 and only watch manga, play starcraft and fap to hentai you are a Otaku.

I had read a bit about this one before how it's quite often mis-used and mis-applied. This is the most recent place I found a definition that lines up with what I read:

23 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I had read a bit about this one before how it's quite often mis-used and mis-applied. This is the most recent place I found a definition that lines up with what I read:

I didn't watch the video, but the description you have is more accurate to how it's used on this site. It's used similarly to the words nerd and geek in that it can either be an insult or a term of endearment. In the same way that one might call oneself a star wars nerd or geek, one might call oneself a star wars otaku. All of us on this site would be considered trophy or game otaku.

Hasar's definition is accurate to the way the Japanese view the word, though.

Edited by kuuhaku

Well, I don't know how often these are used around here (probably not much), but here's a few others:

Fujoshi: Usually translated as "a ruined woman", a female otaku. In Japanese society where women are usually meant to be attentive, demure, and motherly, fujoshi are purely for their own self interest (hence the "ruined" part). Fandom usually consists of yaoi (m/m), anything from comics to games. Cosplay is also another high interest with a good portion of females devoted to crossplaying (crossdress cosplay) their favorite yaoi/shonen titles.

Fudanshi: A male version of fujoshi. Doesn't always mean the male fan is a homosexual, though. Can also be an avid fan of shojo comics and otome games.

I didn't watch the Desu video, but I was taught that applying it in sentence form is an affirmative in polite form. Desu desu comes off as overly reaching to be cute in a moe way, which is very annoying imo.

3 hours ago, DrakeHellsing said:

Don't forget the infamous word "grommet"

I don't think the word infamous means what you think it means. I didn't find any search results of that word being used on PSNP and I do happen to know and have experience in working with grommets. Does this word really fit the theme of this thread?