Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

Note: this thread is for people who own a Switch and want to discuss games with other Switch owners, and before March 3 it's for people who have pre-ordered a Switch. Talk about the Switch in general goes in this thread:

https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/42168-nx-aka-nintendo-switch-revealed-3rd-party-support-revealed-backed-by-nvidia/

Excited for the new console/handheld from Nintendo? This thread is here just for people to talk about the games they have and want. The intent of this thread is to have a thread for Switch owners to discuss current and upcoming games, without having the conversation interrupted by people who are not interested in Nintendo in general or the Switch specifically. So, before the console's launch this is mainly for people who have pre-ordered the console to discuss what games they have pre-ordered, or are excited about.

Personally, I have pre-ordered the following:

The Switch itself

An extra pair of Joy-con so four player gaming can start right away

A pro controller - don't know if I'll let that pre-order slide but I thought it'd be best to make a reservation just in case. I intend to try out both the pro controller and the Double Joy in the store before I take mine home.

Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild - and not a moment too soon because the first wave has been entirely sold out now.

Super Mario Odyssey - because damn yeah I want to play that right away and I don't want to hear a month in advance that the first wave has been sold out.

I'm also probably going to buy these March games right away, though they're not available for pre-order yet:

Snipperclips - I just have to get this, seems like a lot of fun. I hope there's a lot of content, and I hope the 4-player puzzles will be different from the 2-player ones. Seems to be a launch game now, digital only though.

Fast RMX - I'm hoping this will get a physical release, just like Fast Racing Neo eventually had.

World Of Goo - I played it on the Wii about a decade ago and I thought it was brilliant. Glad to play it again and I'll probably try out those other two games by the same dev that I missed because I never owned a WiiU.

I might not get Mario Kart 8 Deluxe right when its released but I'll get it soon after, just like the eventual Party and Smash games. But with these games, I can stand to wait a while and they usually enter the used circuit pretty quickly. I'm also getting Yooka-Laylee whenever it releases, provided I enjoyed the PS4 version enough - it just seems like that game belongs on the Switch, to me.

Furthermore, if the Switch releases with all of the Virtual Console of the WiiU, then these titles will probably find themselves in my possession pretty quickly:

NES - The Legend Of Zelda, Zelda II: The Adventure Of Link

SNES - Super Mario RPG: Legend Of The Seven Stars

N64 - Donkey Kong 64, Super Mario 64, The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time, Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64, Yoshi's Story, Mario Party 2, The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Pokémon Snap, F-Zero X

GBA - The Legend Of Zelda: The Minish Cap

DS - The Legend Of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, The Legend Of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

If the 3DS Virtual Console contents will be available as well, I'll add the following:

GBC - The Legend Of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX, The Legend Of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons & Ages

Yes, I want to refill my library - I still have my SNES but my N64 has broken down and there are many Zelda games I have never even played. Going by this list, you can guess what my purchases will be if Wii(U)/GC games enter the Virtual Console.

It should be noted that I mostly pre-ordered just so I could think about getting a Switch some more - the Switch and Zelda both have been sold out since a couple of days after the January 13 event over here. As the days went on though, I got more and more excited about the Switch. I like the idea of the Switch being both a console and a handheld, it may be the first handheld since the GBA that I actually will use a lot. It means I won't have to drag the Vita and PS4 along whenever I go away for a couple of days. I decided to get rid of my Wii (which was not being used anyway, in the past two years it has only been used as a Netflix device and it hasn't been used at all since we bought a smart-tv) to make the purchase of the Switch more appealing to me (I already have a SNES, PS3 and PS4 and I kind of feel like I don't need that many consoles at the same time). All in all, I'm pretty excited for the Switch, and I'm glad that new titles keep on getting revealed, though me having a PS4 and PS3 with backlog as well means I'm not bothered with the Switch mostly being used as a couch multiplayer machine for a while after I'm done with Zelda. Nintendo consoles were where I really played a lot of multiplayer, other than the LEGO games the X360 and PS4 never provided that much co-op entertainment, sadly.

Edit: putting a new poll in because the old one is not relevant any more.

Edit (and future edits): just for some new polls now and then.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
Poll
  • Like 1

I added a poll to the OP. I listed Snipperclips as a launch title (even though it's not 100% certain) because I needed the extra spot in the listing of forty non-launch titles planned for 2017.

Personally, I never get many games day one so I only checked the absolute musts for me (Zelda, Snipperclips, Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart). I'll likely get some Virtual Console games though and if there's a World Of Goo / Little Inferno / Human Resource Machine combo with a nice price then I'll probably get those as well.

Edit: noticed I missed one of the Minecraft titles. I'm willing to bet that nobody on this forum will get the Telltale Minecraft game day one though.

Edit: Shoot, forgot I want Fast RMX right away as well!

Edited by BillyHorrible

3 minutes ago, Hanzoadam said:

Disgaea isnt a launch title outside of Japan

I know, I added all launch titles to the list even if they're not launch in every region. I mention that for all titles of which I know this though. Figured it was better since I don't know what regions everybody on this forum is in.

To be fair though, 

Zelda, I'm only getting because there isn't really much else at launch, if the eShop is announced to be coming out swinging I might can it, but that's unlikely.

Mario Kart, I already have on Wii U, but since it's a Nintendo game it won't drop in price literally ever so I may as well day one it.

Shovel Knight, I've STILL never played so if the price is right I'll grab it but otherwise just pick it up on a 3DS store sale or something.

Sonic, if the game isn't identical to the PS4 version I'll be getting it on PS4. As much as I enjoyed 3DS Generations it paled to the PS3 version.

Splatoon 2, don't really need it since I have the first and I won't be paying for Nintendo Online (ever), but if it has local split screen that's all I need to day one.

Mario Odyssey, how can I buy Nintendo without buying Mario?

Skyrim, if the price is right (like 30/40 bucks, not 80/90) I'll grab it, otherwise I'll just pick it up for $6 on 360 some time and play it on the Xbox One.

I was in the city the other day, and ran into an EB I'd only been into once or twice before. Outside hung a giant banner "Nintendo on Level One". I walk in, normal looking EB store, and then I see the stairs. Above me a level was a room about half the size of an average EB dedicated entirely to Wii and DS games, so many were there, I even found a copy of Amazing Spider-Man on Wii (which is shit, I know, but I gots to have my collection) that I'd never stumbled into in person before. I go up another level, and before my eyes were probably about 15 3DS units placed around a few tables, all playing Mario Kart 7 on a local connection with eachother, in the left corner was a big ass plasma screen with NES Remix for Wii U hooked up to it and a guy playing. On the other side of the room, 4 or 5 plasmas with Wii U's hooked up playing Mario Kart 8 with eachother and a bunch of dudes hovering around. Then behind me, long ass shelf with every Nintendo console and most of the handhelds behind glass with a brief write up about each one next to them. God damn if this store didn't get my hype into full force.

So I asked the guy why all the Nintendo love? He basically said to me Nintendo pays a bunch of the rent, like a majority share, on that store so they can focus on, well, Nintendo stuff. Guy says whenever they do a launch of Ninty stuff there's always a few reps who show up to hand out shit and whatnot, said they'd even be giving away a few Switch consoles on launch night too. Honestly, if I had an easy means to get home at 3 in the morning (and no school to show up to 6 hours later) I would have Switched (haha!) my preorder to that store there and then, sounded fantastic.

Anywhore, I've at the moment only got Zelda and the console itself ordered. The joy con will do me fine and since they can be split up for Mario Kart, I don't need to get another remote for the missus since every other multiplayer game will be bought for PS4 anyway. Probably will pick up a 3rd party remote when they come out / are cheap enough to justify.

Only Breath of the Wild on launch, also getting Puyo Tetris when it's out here (actually considering double-dipping for that one, getting the Switch version to support it/localizations on Switch and getting a cheaper used ps4/vita version (in any language) for the sweet trophies :P), definitely getting Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey, and considering Sonic Mania... getting Yooka-Laylee as a kickstarter price (was gonna get it for Wii U originally and switched my order) Don't think I'll get Mario Kart actually since it's mostly a port and I got most of the DLC for Wii U version anyway.

Also Taiko no Tatsujin Switch when that's released!

...and I can't actually vote since I need to check something for the second part and not sure I'm getting anything from that list

Edited by Zanreo
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

To be fair though, 

Zelda, I'm only getting because there isn't really much else at launch, if the eShop is announced to be coming out swinging I might can it, but that's unlikely.

Mario Kart, I already have on Wii U, but since it's a Nintendo game it won't drop in price literally ever so I may as well day one it.

Shovel Knight, I've STILL never played so if the price is right I'll grab it but otherwise just pick it up on a 3DS store sale or something.

Sonic, if the game isn't identical to the PS4 version I'll be getting it on PS4. As much as I enjoyed 3DS Generations it paled to the PS3 version.

Splatoon 2, don't really need it since I have the first and I won't be paying for Nintendo Online (ever), but if it has local split screen that's all I need to day one.

Mario Odyssey, how can I buy Nintendo without buying Mario?

Skyrim, if the price is right (like 30/40 bucks, not 80/90) I'll grab it, otherwise I'll just pick it up for $6 on 360 some time and play it on the Xbox One.

I was in the city the other day, and ran into an EB I'd only been into once or twice before. Outside hung a giant banner "Nintendo on Level One". I walk in, normal looking EB store, and then I see the stairs. Above me a level was a room about half the size of an average EB dedicated entirely to Wii and DS games, so many were there, I even found a copy of Amazing Spider-Man on Wii (which is shit, I know, but I gots to have my collection) that I'd never stumbled into in person before. I go up another level, and before my eyes were probably about 15 3DS units placed around a few tables, all playing Mario Kart 7 on a local connection with eachother, in the left corner was a big ass plasma screen with NES Remix for Wii U hooked up to it and a guy playing. On the other side of the room, 4 or 5 plasmas with Wii U's hooked up playing Mario Kart 8 with eachother and a bunch of dudes hovering around. Then behind me, long ass shelf with every Nintendo console and most of the handhelds behind glass with a brief write up about each one next to them. God damn if this store didn't get my hype into full force.

So I asked the guy why all the Nintendo love? He basically said to me Nintendo pays a bunch of the rent, like a majority share, on that store so they can focus on, well, Nintendo stuff. Guy says whenever they do a launch of Ninty stuff there's always a few reps who show up to hand out shit and whatnot, said they'd even be giving away a few Switch consoles on launch night too. Honestly, if I had an easy means to get home at 3 in the morning (and no school to show up to 6 hours later) I would have Switched (haha!) my preorder to that store there and then, sounded fantastic.

Anywhore, I've at the moment only got Zelda and the console itself ordered. The joy con will do me fine and since they can be split up for Mario Kart, I don't need to get another remote for the missus since every other multiplayer game will be bought for PS4 anyway. Probably will pick up a 3rd party remote when they come out / are cheap enough to justify.

Seeing as you want to play stuff with the missus, be sure to check out Snipperclips, which can't be got on other systems.

Also, yeah Zelda is the main hype game on launch but I'd have gotten it eventually anyway.

What's "EB" stand for? Sounds like a cool store though.

17 hours ago, Zanreo said:

Only Breath of the Wild on launch, also getting Puyo Tetris when it's out here (actually considering double-dipping for that one, getting the Switch version to support it/localizations on Switch and getting a cheaper used ps4/vita version (in any language) for the sweet trophies :P), definitely getting Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey, and considering Sonic Mania... getting Yooka-Laylee as a kickstarter price (was gonna get it for Wii U originally and switched my order) Don't think I'll get Mario Kart actually since it's mostly a port and I got most of the DLC for Wii U version anyway.

...and I can't actually vote since I need to check something for the second part and not sure I'm getting anything from that list

Damn, for real? I never made one of these before... I'll delete two titles to make room for "nothing in this list" options. Nobody is getting NBA2K or Farming Simulator day one, right?

I'm getting Yooka-Laylee as well but probably not day one because I'll already have played the PS4 version. Going to play that one quickly on the PS4, trade it on and the Switch one will be for keeps.

Edited by BillyHorrible
assume makes an ass of u and me...

17 hours ago, Zanreo said:

F*CKING HELL, editing polls is a pain! First I put the "none" option at the end but then it took over the votes for what used to be the final option. Then I put them at the front, and it decided to just delete Mario Kart even though I did not even come in the vicinity of that line! I think it's all set now, a couple of titles may have vanished but I don't know which and the votes seem te be with the correct lines again now.

16 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

I might pick up I am setsuna provided it receives a physical copy, only reason I passed on the PS version

Seems to be digital only...

OT: getting more and more excited about Zelda, and can't wait to fo some four player gaming. Snipperclips and Mario Kart the most, though truth be told I'm as excited about getting Mario Kart 64 again as I am about getting Mario Kart 8.

I'm also amazed with how many people want Bomberman on launch. Is it just the lack of option in launch titles, or are people really excited about it?

Edited by BillyHorrible

Splatoon 2 is the main attraction for me. I really loved everything in the first title.

Other games I'm interested in but not necessarily getting on release day: Super Bomberman R, ARMS. Should try to thin out my backlog, not increase it....

Husbando is mainly interested in Zelda, Splatoon 2 and Snipperclips.

On 2/4/2017 at 3:56 AM, BillyHorrible said:

What's "EB" stand for? Sounds like a cool store though.

EB is what GameStop go by here and in other countries. They rip everyone off, they take your shit for 10 cents and sell it for a dollar, they treat their employees like shit (former employee here), and on and on and on.

But they price match and have that one cool store in the city though.

Anybody else hoping we hear soon what game Retro Studios has been developing for three years now?

10 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

EB is what GameStop go by here and in other countries. They rip everyone off, they take your shit for 10 cents and sell it for a dollar, they treat their employees like shit (former employee here), and on and on and on.

Thanks for the info. I also only know GameStop because people on this and other forums have mentioned it. 

2 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Thanks for the info. I also only know GameStop because people on this and other forums have mentioned it. 

In that case, I'll go into a teeny bit more detail.

EB are really Australia's only gaming store nowadays. 10 years ago there was Video Game Heaven stores all over the place, and Game Traders (still a couple, but nowhere near me), and Game went belly up a couple years back here.

All 3 of them used to do current gen shit, but also tonnes of old gen crap. I can't tell you how many Game Boy games I picked up from Game Traders around like 2010 when I started getting into them. Also was great for accessories, I found a couple of old OG Xbox consoles on the side of the road one time on my way home from school and figured fuck it. No leads were there, but I plugged in a generic power cable and they powered on. Grabbed an AV cable off an ex and one of them was loaded up with emulators and shit, but no controller. So I went into GT and bought one, they had like 5 hanging their on a shelf, and the same for the 64, PS1, etc. It was very useful, especially if you didn't wanna deal with / wait for eBay to get one out to you, plus warranty.

Anyway, after they all went belly up, we're left with EB, JB (which I'll get to), and the odd store like K-Mart and Target to sell games.

K-Mart, Target, Big W (basically the same thing), and a couple of other shops like Costco and Aldi and shit, sell games and consoles, but on a much smaller scale, they basically have what's hot and new, and nothing else. Target for example, straight up never bothered to stock the Vita at all, though, that was probably an okay idea since it launched here for like 350 and Big W ended up clearing them for 50 bucks. K-Mart got out of selling games entirely about a year ago, after clearing a whole lot of crap, Wii U bundles were going for a hundred bucks a year and a half or so back when now you can only find them at EB, JB, and Target, and they all want 450 odd for them.

See, the problem is a lack of competition. There was more, but then, as K-Mart proved, it just wasn't profitable. The stores that sold games in addition to all their other shit, that weren't just dedicated to games, they couldn't keep a profit because to sell them, they had to keep selling them cheaper. I don't know why I'm talking in past tense since only K-Mart has stopped doing games, but oh well. Anyway, when a game comes out, a normal ass AAA game, let's say Black Ops III because everyone's familiar. It comes out for 100 bucks at EB. Target, Big W, and (formerly) K-Mart, would do the game (usually) for $64 (that's the price I paid for Modern Warfare 3, one of the first games I got at launch), and later 69 would become the average one, but that's still a bloody third cheaper pretty well. 

Now JB Hi-Fi. They were a record store that branched into stereos and then VHS and then DVD and then games and then and then and then and now they sell fridges and shit as well. JB is fucking huge in Aus and NZ, really fucking big. Anyway, they are kind of like EB in games, they have a decent range (a lot more than Big W or something), and they do price matching and can order shit in and all that, but, they're a lot more competitive usually, they too will usually do 69 launches, before jacking it back up a few weeks later.

Because everyone else has other interests, they can afford to lose a bit on games if it gets you into the store and buying something else, but EB, they can't, they need pure profit, they sell nothing else (except all that bullshit merch, which, if I remember, will get a mini rant at the end), and they don't seem to happy with the idea of being competitive.

Which brings back to the earlier comment, there's no real competition anymore. K-Mart got out, Target has been half and half this last gen (no Vita is just an example, there's a lot more), and Big W is good but they don't really care either, they just get the big games, no Gravity Rush 2 to be found in there.

With the lack of competition, you're left with a situation like this. You want a Vita in 2016/7? Some JB stores might have one, for 270 and not a penny less. Some EB stores might have them, for the EXACT same price, or a preowned one for like 20 bucks less. It sucks for gamers in the long run, which is why I do my very best to avoid buying a game in EB whenever I can, because they will manage to stay in the market, but if Target or Big W decide it's a dead market, we've got no real competition, we've got 2 big wigs who know they're safe, and they're not gonna undercut eachother ever.

JB are generally pretty good though, they'll match with no issue, do a fair few deals here and there, and they have an all round good atmosphere (as with EB, I've worked there too, and it's a no brainer to which was a better environment), but never anything AMAZINGLY good, just stuff like 2 for 40 with like the Lego PS4 games and Assassin's Creed, shit that's not worth a fortune, but EB will still try to get a fortune out of you for.

The thing with EB is they make more money from preowned. JB don't really care, they only trade games, not consoles, and even then, they're relatively good about it, you'd get a lot more here than you would EB. EB give you piss all (I have no figures since I've not traded anything in a long time) for everything, then sell it for nearly new price, in some cases even MORE than the cost of a new copy. Then they try to force you onto their loyalty thing by saying you get an "extra" X amount of trade credit for each level you're on, when really (and again, I was an employee when EB World, their loyalty thing, was introduced) they've just lowered the normal trade in value 30% and want you to spend LITERALLY nearly $10,000 in store to get to the top level and get the 30% back. Their levels are done in points, it's like 9500 points or something for the top point. Every dollar you spend on new shit gets you a point. Preowned shit, 2 points. Every dollar you get for trade ins is worth two points too. And that's about it. 

I have to go, because of baby reasons, but hopefully I'll get to yell about these asshats a little more later, because over here, everyone just yells about them to eachother and it's normal.

OH REMIND ME TO TALK ABOUT THE DICKHEAD IN RINGWOOD THE OTHER DAY, HOLY SHIT I NEARLY TOOK A SWING AT HIM.

10 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

I'd also like to hear some info about the virtual console. Project Octopath Traveler looks really cool

I agree with the Virtual Console bit, but I have no clue as to what Project Octopath Traveler is, except it probably being an upcoming Switch game.

8 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

In that case, I'll go into a teeny bit more detail.

[...]

:blink: Do I dare ask what happens when you go into a lot of detail?

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

looks so pretty

Just now, hugglebunn-e said:

I am so excited for this, getting Super Nintendo FF vibes from this one.

I did see that trailer, forgot the name though. Sad to say I'm not into it at all. While this is one of the few semi-retro graphics I can actually get behind, the story/gameplay doesn't appeal to me. I'm almost never into RPG games.

I hope for you guys it's going to be good though. Seems like it's well made, at least.

• Like 1

What... The... Fuck... ???? Disgaea 5 Complete on Switch?!?! But they couldn't bring it to Vita?! While Wii U was the first Nintendo console I skipped (going back to the NES with powerpad), looks like I'm going back to big N. Yeah, I already have Disgaea 5 physical and the season pass, but I don't think I can help myself. I prefer Disgaea on portables.

Just now, BillyHorrible said:

I did see that trailer, forgot the name though. Sad to say I'm not into it at all. While this is one of the few semi-retro graphics I can actually get behind, the story/gameplay doesn't appeal to me. I'm almost never into RPG games.

I hope for you guys it's going to be good though. Seems like it's well made, at least.

That is a shame, retro sprite based rpgs are really some of the best for my money. And, graphic wise they never seem to age poorly. 

If you ever consider taking the plunge try FFVI and Chrono Trigger.

I am currently replaying FF1 on the mini NES, and for me it still holds up. Fun, sharp graphics, the music is just great, and amazingly enough I am picking up on things I never did as a kid. For instance, the Black Belt character appears to generate more damage without equipping him with a weapon, what the F, this was a game changer for me the day. I never never would have picked up on this as a kid.

On 2/5/2017 at 4:51 AM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Interestingly enough, here in the USA we used to have Electronic Boutique and Software Etc, but they both disappeared (at least in my area, they might still use those brands elsewhere). I know of at least one Software Etc store that changed into a Gamestop, but I'm not sure how EB factored into it. I would guess Gamestop's parent company bought both brands. Anyway, now we only have GameStop, and it sounds like they work the same in Australia as the USA. Best Buy isn't too bad for games, but it's really only good for new stuff, where the GCU program is a very useful system. 

Sadly I've never discovered a cool GameStop, hell, even my local GameStops seem to be pretty much deprived of gaming joy. I frequently wear gaming shirts when visiting them (mostly my Ratchet and Rocket Raccoon shirt - two badass marsupial-ish characters who love big guns), and the staff never comment on them. But we do have a few independent stores that sell games, at least before they inevitably go out of business that is. 

Oh wait, am I allowed to post here since I don't have a Switch pre-ordered yet? Can I consider myself a Switch owner since I fully intend to get one as close to launch as possible? Actually, I finally have time to stop by my local GameStop tonight so I can enjoy watching the staff laugh at me when I ask about putting my name on the official "We'll call you in December 2017 when we have more Switches" list. At this point Zelda and Mario Odyssey are my definite buys, but I would love to grab some Virtual Console games if it has some games at launch. 

Edited by MosesRockefeller