Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

38 minutes ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

100% me. I went to Smyths a few weeks ago and brought a LEGO set, along with Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, and the woman serving me was so lovely about it. She was like, are you building this today and do you collect sets which was really refreshing as that doesn't really happen when I go shopping. 

On topic though, I'm super excited to see what this Nintendo Switch thing is tonight, so I'll be tuning in to watch it for sure! And I'm glad to see Night In The Woods is coming to Switch and I think I'll be picking that up!

4 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Man, store employees are sure nosy over there in Europe. Over here in the states I'm lucky to get ANY human conversation beyond the exchange of money. I wore my unofficial Rocket Racoon / Ratchet t-shirt and it has never been acknowledged in Gamestop or Best Buy.

I have frequent discussions with the manager of the game store I frequent, about games and shirts and movies and stuff. Two toy store employees around here are fellow LEGO builders and Star Wars fans so I discuss stuff with them too. Other than that, there's not that much back and forth next to the "no, that LEGO set is for myself, thank you".

4 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Also, how are people "tuning in" to the Nintendo announcement? Tuning in to what? Are people just expecting that link to get updated? This makes me think we need a Nintendo channel that airs 24/7, All Nintendo All the Time!

That link gets updated.

Apparently, an updated release of Chariot will be released for Switch. It's called...

SUPER CHARIOT.

I really liked the first hour or two of this game that I played on PS3. Unfortunately, it was on PS+ only on PS3 so I never finished it because I had too much to play on PS4 and SNES, and now Switch too.

I'll probably buy it for the Switch.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Man, store employees are sure nosy over there in Europe. Over here in the states I'm lucky to get ANY human conversation beyond the exchange of money. I wore my unofficial Rocket Racoon / Ratchet t-shirt and it has never been acknowledged in Gamestop or Best Buy.

Also, how are people "tuning in" to the Nintendo announcement? Tuning in to what? Are people just expecting that link to get updated? This makes me think we need a Nintendo channel that airs 24/7, All Nintendo All the Time!

I always find it kind of nice when someone has a conversation with me when I playing but I'll tell you one of the many conversations I've had with a store employee in the past. I went to GAME once (our version of GameStop) to get a couple of games, and I'm talking about a game like Assassin's Creed or something like that and they said, 'oh is that a present for someone' and as soon as I said that it was for me and they saw I was a girl, they looked genuinely shocked and like they'd been sent to another planet or something like that haha! ^_^

On topic, do they have a Twitch channel or something like that. If they don't I'd just assume their going to post it on there website. I'd second that! Nintendo All The Time! :) 

2 minutes ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

I always find it kind of nice when someone has a conversation with me when I playing but I'll tell you one of the many conversations I've had with a store employee in the past. I went to GAME once (our version of GameStop) to get a couple of games, and I'm talking about a game like Assassin's Creed or something like that and they said, 'oh is that a present for someone' and as soon as I said that it was for me and they saw I was a girl, they looked genuinely shocked and like they'd been sent to another planet or something like that haha! ^_^

Well, it IS kind of heresy of course. Assassin's Creed is a game for MEN, not for GIRLS. If you had any respect for the system, you'd stick to playing Bejeweled on your phone while snapchatting. Or, if you must play console games, then go for The Sims, or Nintendogs.

/sarcasm

Meanwhile, I have a wife who almost gleefully commits to female stereotypes on gaming: when playing along with me in platformers she constantly dies and in LEGO games she just walks around destroying everything while I am checking for level objectives. Without me she plays a Bejeweled type game and she does Wordfeud. She also thinks Star Wars is stupid (with the exceptions of The Force Awakens, Rogue One and The Last Jedi, the first two of which she already watched twice), she hates good horror movies because they are too scary, and she doesn't want to have anything to do with real life LEGO.

... and I STILL married her. That's love.

18 minutes ago, Simple Rick said:

I have frequent discussions with the manager of the game store I frequent, about games and shirts and movies and stuff. Two toy store employees around here are fellow LEGO builders and Star Wars fans so I discuss stuff with them too. Other than that, there's not that much back and forth next to the "no, that LEGO set is for myself, thank you".

I just find it interesting that European cashiers ask if a purchase is a gift. The only time I hear that here is around Christmas, and then only when stores offer gift wrapping at the point of purchase, which is pretty rare. I don't know if that's a sign that American cashiers are aloof people who hate their jobs, or I'm making too much of it. I will say that most Gamestop employees do seem to genuinely like games, but there's always an element of upselling junk I don't want. So when they talk to me there, it's to try to sell me more stuff. Maybe I would get comments if I were wearing official Gamestop/ThinkGeek shirts.

22 minutes ago, Simple Rick said:

Apparently, an updated release of Chariot will be released for Switch. It's called...

SUPER CHARIOT.

I really liked the first hour or two of this game that I played on PS3. Unfortunately, it was on PS+ only on PS3 so I never finished it because I had too much to play on PS4 and SNES, and now Switch too.

I'll probably buy it for the Switch.

I think I have that game as part of the Xbox One version of PS+. I never tried it but it looked cool. However, I'm not sure how fun it would be playing solo since it is marketed as a co-op game. Also, I want to highlight the name they're using for the Switch version; I approve. Let's be honest, we've all seen a bunch of "Definitive Editions", "Complete Editions", and "Ultimate Editions". It's nice to see a name that is much more fun, and brings to mind games like "Super Star Wars".

12 minutes ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

It's sad that there is still a stereotype that girls aren't gamers. Since my 3 year old daughter sees me gaming a lot, I suspect that she will get at least a light interest in it herself. I hope in 10 years, that stereotype will be gone.

What's next, are we saying grown men can't like Disney Princesses? :P

1 minute ago, Simple Rick said:

Well, it IS kind of heresy of course. Assassin's Creed is a game for MEN, not for GIRLS. If you had any respect for the system, you'd stick to playing Bejeweled on your phone while snapchatting. Or, if you must play console games, then go for The Sims, or Nintendogs.

/sarcasm

Meanwhile, I have a wife who almost gleefully commits to female stereotypes on gaming: when playing along with me in platformers she constantly dies and in LEGO games she just walks around destroying everything while I am checking for level objectives. Without me she plays a Bejeweled type game and she does Wordfeud. She also thinks Star Wars is stupid (with the exceptions of The Force Awakens, Rogue One and The Last Jedi, the first two of which she already watched twice), she hates good horror movies because they are too scary, and she doesn't want to have anything to do with real life LEGO.

... and I STILL married her. That's love.

Haha I love that top part! :D & that definitely is love then! I bet she likes them really though!^_^

3 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

It's sad that there is still a stereotype that girls aren't gamers. Since my 3 year old daughter sees me gaming a lot, I suspect that she will get at least a light interest in it herself. I hope in 10 years, that stereotype will be gone.

What's next, are we saying grown men can't like Disney Princesses? :P

It is sad, but unfortunitely happens to me quite a lot. If someone adds me and then they find out I'm a girl, they are so shocked and sometimes their like, 'oh how come you play games then, girls don't play games' and I'm sat there like this = :facepalm:. I hope it's gone soon too but I don't see it happening to be honest.

When I have children, I'm definitely introducing them to gaming as I think it's a really lovely hobby to get them into. :P 

1 minute ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

Haha I love that top part! :D & that definitely is love then! I bet she likes them really though!^_^

Speaking of LEGO, my daughter has a handful of Duplo sets, the two main ones being a Mickey Mouse building and a Minnie Mouse store. Her mom doesn't pay any attention to what pieces go to which set, but of course Daddy knows better as a LEGO fan for the past 30 years. When my daughter finds that Mom cleaned up her Duplos and put a pink "Minnie" piece in the Mickey box, she notes her displeasure at it being in the wrong box. She mixes and matches the pieces sometimes (for example, Mickey and Goofy will go over and visit Minnie's store), but she knows which pieces belong to which set. I'm so proud. :)

7 minutes ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

It is sad, but unfortunitely happens to me quite a lot. If someone adds me and then they find out I'm a girl, they are so shocked and sometimes their like, 'oh how come you play games then, girls don't play games' and I'm sat there like this = :facepalm:. I hope it's gone soon too but I don't see it happening to be honest.

When I have children, I'm definitely introducing them to gaming as I think it's a really lovely hobby to get them into. :P

You may be right. As a society we like to put labels and stereotypes on things. It's not always malicious, but most of us do it in one way or another.

Anyway, I think that Nintendo is a great place to start with getting kids and non-gamers interested in gaming. I've basically given up getting my wife interested (the most she's ever done is played some Wii Sports Bowling), so it's up to my daughter now. The only downside is, if she starts getting into it, we'll have to set up time limits, which means I'll be at least partially beholden to them also. I can just see the excuses now: "I don't want to go to bed, I want to play Mario with Daddy!"

Ngl, Nintendo Labo could be really fun.

1) The construction has to be satisfying. Not prohibitively technical, not two folds and done. To me at first look it could be possible

2) The cardboard has to be sturdy enough. Some kids are obviously going to be heavy handed with it and break it which will get some backlash but a sensible, considerate user shouldn't have any problems.

3) There has to be enough game attached for the price. I've seen about $80 floating about (can't find anything £/€) which for a game and peripheral isn't too bad. A game at launch being 60 isn't crazy, and DLC these days means that an 80 game could be comparable. But if that's the case, I'm going to need enough game to back it up.

I'm going to keep an eye on this though. Nintendo's ideas are either genius or terrible. I'm hoping this is the former.

Edited by Captain Anura
Thanks Rick :facepalm:

6 hours ago, Captain Anura said:

I'm going to keep an eye on this though. Nintendo's ideas are either genius or terrible. I hoping this is the latter.

Don't you mean "former" instead of "latter"? 

5 hours ago, TheFinalEmblem said:

Can't help but laugh at people who are bitching and shitting on the Labo. They said it's for fucking kids, ofc older people aren't gonna be interested. I can see kids absolutely loving this, I have 2 nephews, and the older of the two loves video games, and I absolutely expect that he'll be wanting it.

Can't help but think people didn't understand what it meant when Nintendo said "for kids".

7 hours ago, Zondares said:

Completely hyped for Labo. I live in a world of Duplo and Little People already, so it will be wonderful to share something constructive from Nintendo with my rapidly growing toddler.

5 hours ago, Shiny Suicune said:

My daughter is 5 years old... Hmmm I think she might like it xD. Shit the Robot cardboard impressed me lol 

Totally forgot about the gamers who have kids as well. Guessing @MosesRockefeller and @Super-Fly Spider-Guy will both get Nintendo Labo.

You know, "for the kid".

3 hours ago, Simple Rick said:

Totally forgot about the gamers who have kids as well. Guessing @MosesRockefeller and @Super-Fly Spider-Guy will both get Nintendo Labo.

You know, "for the kid".

Not me. At least not yet.

I haven't looked into it too much, since it doesn't interest me at all, but as far as I can tell, they seem to just be cardboard attachments for things like pianos and fishing lines and whatnot that hook into the joycon slots. No interest to me at all. I want as little gimmicks as possible, to be entirely honest, when the Switch announcement was on it's way, I was praying to Satoru Iwata that it wouldn't even have a touch screen, just another thing that can go wrong with it or make for annoying gameplay choices. At least with this Labo thing, it won't have a billion games for it in all likelihood, which is sad for people who are excited, but tbh I just want every game to work on the core system for everyone. I don't know.

Anyway, my kid would rip the stuff to shreds at the moment. She loves my controllers and whatnot, but anything that can be broken, will be broken. The other day for example, I'd been using an old Windows laptop a bit lately so I could use a jar compiler to make certain files compatible with my Nokia that you just can't do on a Chromebook. I left her alone in the room with it for about a minute while I was getting a bottle or something for her and pretty much everything from F6 to Del was ripped off by her. If she'd done this to my current laptop I'd be piiiiiissed, but tbh that thing's just sat in a cupboard for over five years. Anyway, that's a bit off topic, point is, I have no interest in it, and my kid is too destructive right now anyway, maybe in a couple years. 

Also, for the record, I'm saying that as someone who has a couple of Google Cardboard contraptions (albeit, I got them for free, and not the ridiculous 80 somewhat dollar tag Nintendo want for their thing). 

Although, while I'm on here, my library shot me an email today saying they've got Bayonetta 2 ordered in for me and I can come pick it up on release day. Honestly, what more can you ask from your library? Completely free, check. Three week long ass rental time, check. Option to renew online so you don't have to go in (assuming no one's put it on hold), check. DLC codes included for first user to cash them in, check. Ability to order in pretty well whatever you want, check. Never thought I'd say this, especially not in 2018, but I love my library.

@Simple Rick, you can add me to that list of people you think will get the Nintendo Labo as I absolutely love this! And my birthday's a couple of months after it releases so I can get one then! :P I showed my mum the video you linked last night and she was speechless! She said it looks really fun and she's interested to see how it works, as am I! I love the extra customisation of it all as you can colour and jazz it up which is right up my street! (I love anything like that!) Soooo yeah, as you can probably tell, I'm excited about it! ;) 

1 hour ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Not me. At least not yet.

I haven't looked into it too much, since it doesn't interest me at all, but as far as I can tell, they seem to just be cardboard attachments for things like pianos and fishing lines and whatnot that hook into the joycon slots. No interest to me at all. I want as little gimmicks as possible, to be entirely honest, when the Switch announcement was on it's way, I was praying to Satoru Iwata that it wouldn't even have a touch screen, just another thing that can go wrong with it or make for annoying gameplay choices. At least with this Labo thing, it won't have a billion games for it in all likelihood, which is sad for people who are excited, but tbh I just want every game to work on the core system for everyone. I don't know.

Anyway, my kid would rip the stuff to shreds at the moment. She loves my controllers and whatnot, but anything that can be broken, will be broken. The other day for example, I'd been using an old Windows laptop a bit lately so I could use a jar compiler to make certain files compatible with my Nokia that you just can't do on a Chromebook. I left her alone in the room with it for about a minute while I was getting a bottle or something for her and pretty much everything from F6 to Del was ripped off by her. If she'd done this to my current laptop I'd be piiiiiissed, but tbh that thing's just sat in a cupboard for over five years. Anyway, that's a bit off topic, point is, I have no interest in it, and my kid is too destructive right now anyway, maybe in a couple years. 

Also, for the record, I'm saying that as someone who has a couple of Google Cardboard contraptions (albeit, I got them for free, and not the ridiculous 80 somewhat dollar tag Nintendo want for their thing). 

You're free to not like it,of course, though I need to correct you on one point: Labo is not cardboard that works with different games,like the Wii controller extensions were. Rather, Labo is a set of games, each with their own cardboard add-on. So we now start with one robot cosplay game, and one mini-game variety pack. If these two are a success, there's probably more to come, but regular games likely won't make use of these cardboard cutouts.

1 hour ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Although, while I'm on here, my library shot me an email today saying they've got Bayonetta 2 ordered in for me and I can come pick it up on release day. Honestly, what more can you ask from your library? Completely free, check. Three week long ass rental time, check. Option to renew online so you don't have to go in (assuming no one's put it on hold), check. DLC codes included for first user to cash them in, check. Ability to order in pretty well whatever you want, check. Never thought I'd say this, especially not in 2018, but I love my library.

Free? Even back in the day, in the library I had to pay f0,25 per lent book and f1,50 or so per lent game.

1 hour ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

@Simple Rick, you can add me to that list of people you think will get the Nintendo Labo as I absolutely love this! And my birthday's a couple of months after it releases so I can get one then! :P I showed my mum the video you linked last night and she was speechless! She said it looks really fun and she's interested to see how it works, as am I! I love the extra customisation of it all as you can colour and jazz it up which is right up my street! (I love anything like that!) Soooo yeah, as you can probably tell, I'm excited about it! ;) 

That list was just of people I know to have kids :)

I'm personally thinking about getting the variety pack. Thing I'm interested in the most is the piano.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Captain Anura said:

Ngl, Nintendo Labo could be really fun.

1) The construction has to be satisfying. Not prohibitively technical, not two folds and done. To me at first look it could be possible

2) The cardboard has to be sturdy enough. Some kids are obviously going to be heavy handed with it and break it which will get some backlash but a sensible, considerate user shouldn't have any problems.

3) There has to be enough game attached for the price. I've seen about $80 floating about (can't find anything £/€) which for a game and peripheral isn't too bad. A game at launch being 60 isn't crazy, and DLC these days means that an 80 game could be comparable. But if that's the case, I'm going to need enough game to back it up.

I'm going to keep an eye on this though. Nintendo's ideas are either genius or terrible. I'm hoping this is the former.

This is a good summary for my thoughts on the subject. Although I don't agree with the two "Nintendo extremes", I think they have some middle of the road ideas. The Wii U is one example, it wasn't a terrible concept as it led us to the more successful Switch, and it had value in its own right. I think their terrible ideas are pretty rare... the Virtual Boy probably qualifies but I can't think of many examples.

Anyway, I'll need some reviews and impressions before jumping on board. My toddler daughter is more into the playing side of Duplo than the building side, but I could see her enjoying the fishing game if it's accessible enough.

15 hours ago, Simple Rick said:

That being said, I think this is an amazing idea. Don't know if it is actually something for me yet but I do think the idea is great, and it will certainly get many non-console people to buy a Switch, like the motion controls with Wii Sports did for the Wii.

I also think it's smart to have waited for year two with this. Showing this before the console was released probably would have kept a bunch of adult gamers from buying a Switch for fear that it would be a kid console.

Yeah, I agree that it was a great move (and release timing) for Nintendo. I still need to be convinced it's for me, but it's a smart product for Nintendo to make.

The Variety Pack is what I'll get if I do get it, but I suspect I'll have enough information to reach a decision by April.

3 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Whoa... so you're getting Bayonetta 1 (B2 DLC) for free, and 3 weeks to try out B2. Your library is awesome.

13 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Yeah, I agree that it was a great move (and release timing) for Nintendo. I still need to be convinced it's for me, but it's a smart product for Nintendo to make.

The Variety Pack is what I'll get if I do get it, but I suspect I'll have enough information to reach a decision by April.

My current standpoint now I've thought about it some more is that I would probably like the variety pack, and most use I'd get out of doing one-octave tunes on the piano. Might convince me to buy a real piano; I've had lessons in the past but haven't played in over a decade.

I would really appreciate the game being digital and the physical stuff being sold separately, though.

17 minutes ago, Simple Rick said:

My current standpoint now I've thought about it some more is that I would probably like the variety pack, and most use I'd get out of doing one-octave tunes on the piano. Might convince me to buy a real piano; I've had lessons in the past but haven't played in over a decade.

I would really appreciate the game being digital and the physical stuff being sold separately, though.

I took piano lessons for about 10 years off and on when I was a kid. I bought a midrange digital piano a year or two ago, and honestly, I never play it. Your mileage may vary, but I would just note that it's something that can easily become a purchase that collects dust.

It does seem like Nintendo is not providing a digital option for LABO, which is odd since every game is available on the eShop AFAIK. I understand there is a physical component to the game of course, but that doesn't mean parents want to swap cartridges every time their kid wants to play Cardboard Fishing.

2 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I took piano lessons for about 10 years off and on when I was a kid. I bought a midrange digital piano a year or two ago, and honestly, I never play it. Your mileage may vary, but I would just note that it's something that can easily become a purchase that collects dust.

My guitar is collecting dust but it's because I stopped taking lessens after my wife decided she'd like to have a dog after all. Thought it might be different with something I already knew and wouldn't have to take expensive lessons for.

2 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

It does seem like Nintendo is not providing a digital option for LABO, which is odd since every game is available on the eShop AFAIK. I understand there is a physical component to the game of course, but that doesn't mean parents want to swap cartridges every time their kid wants to play Cardboard Fishing.

Guess we'll see in three months. I know the game will be less appealing for me if I can't get it digitally.

1 minute ago, Simple Rick said:

My guitar is collecting dust but it's because I stopped taking lessens after my wife decided she'd like to have a dog after all. Thought it might be different with something I already knew and wouldn't have to take expensive lessons for.

As an amateur pianist, there are some great options that aren't too expensive. And you'll get all the cool sound effects you can use in addition to a classic piano. SO that's cool. Hopefully you'll get more use out of yours if you decide to get one.

Also, have we talked about Amiibo here yet? With the success of the Switch, I hope Nintendo goes back and rereleases out-of-print Amiibo, or makes new editions of them. For example, the SMO Mario is fine, but I'd much rather have the classic Super Mario series Mario, since it is a version of him from more than one game. Right now I have a quest to get the Bowser Jr Amiibo, and they only made one version of him. I don't feel like paying $30 for a second-hand used copy. My wish is that Nintendo sees the value in ramping up Amiibo production. I went from having 3 from the 3DS/Wii U days, to getting like 8 more (only one of which was new in-store) after the Switch got me more excited about Nintendo as a company. One other thing - only a handful of games made really clever use of Amiibo on the Wii U and 3DS, so I hope Nintendo improves that with upcoming Switch games. So far they've done fine, but there is room for improvement. They have done a good job of not gating off content so far. Hopefully they will use them for optional costumes and such going forward. Yoshi's Woolly World had a cool implementation, where scanning in any of 20 or so supported Amiibo, unlocked a skin for Yoshi based on the Amiibo in question. Playing as Yarn Yoshi with a Mario skin is pretty cool.

Spoiler

How cute is this?

Mario-amiibo-yoshi.png

Watched the Nintendo Labo announcement video at work today and I was wowed. Nintendo exceeded all my expectations with this amazing innovation. When I saw the cardboard piano playing matching sounds on the Switch I thought "what is this sorcery?!" and then it escalated into controlling a robot with your movements. Offering a suggestion of customizing your cardboard creations was a nice touch as well. I have a feeling they may have thought the whole family could collaborate in creating the Toy-Cons, leaving the more demanding crafts to older members of the family and even the small ones can help decorate. 

Not much into crafting since my childhood days but I might pick up the Variety Kit in April just to experience this stuff! 

I think someone posted a screenshot of the Nintendo Labo kits being on Amazon's top sellers list today. In April they will be all sold out and people will be selling them for triple the price on ebay, so better pre-order yours if you want them. :lol: 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eyjabria said:

I think someone posted a screenshot of the Nintendo Labo kits being on Amazon's top sellers list today. In April they will be all sold out and people will be selling them for triple the price on ebay, so better pre-order yours if you want them. :lol: 

I forgot to do this last night but I just looked on Amazon to see how much they are and they are £59.99 over in England which actually isn't a bad price! I thought it would be £100+ easy, but they look like there sticking to the for kids motto which is nice to see. :)