Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

13 minutes ago, Shiny Suicune said:

Nope, that's why I bought the complete edition Treasure Trove lol.

it's interesting so far :P

Well, complete edition... It's just the game, and the DLC are free. They're eventually bringing all DLC and the base game separate games but for now it's either the full edition, or the Spector Of Torment DLC separately.

6 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

Well, complete edition... It's just the game, and the DLC are free. They're eventually bringing all DLC and the base game separate games but for now it's either the full edition, or the Spector Of Torment DLC separately.

So.....I wasted money?

2 minutes ago, Shiny Suicune said:

So.....I wasted money?

... No, you just bought the regular game with free DLC, which gets called the "complete" edition now that they're also going to make separate titles for each campaign.

The regular game (now "complete edition") is €25 at full price (guessing you had the sale price), and contains four full length campaigns (once the final one is released). The price for separate campaigns is €10, and only one is available separately as of now.

So I'd say you picked the best option.

Well I've finally set up my Switch today and I'm loving playing on it so far! I've downloaded a ton of Demos and I'm currently playing on Lost Sphear which is pretty good so far. I've got the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild loaded and ready to go and the same applies to Rayman: Legends Definitive Edition as well. 

I did spend about two hours trying to set up a Nintendo Network ID for my Switch, only to find out that you don't actually need one and that it died out with the Wii U and 3DS. Mind you, I suppose that will teach me to Google things first :facepalm:. Oh well, lesson learned. Anyway, it's loaded and ready to go! :P I've posted my Friend Code on the other Switch Friend thread on here so feel free to add me! 

I'll let you know how I get on with the rest of my Demo's and Zelda / Rayman! :) 

• Like 1

@RizzleAbbey12 there's a bunch of stuff on sale now, might want to figure out if you feel like making a decent library right away. I know I think Shovel Knight and Fast RMX are worth their full price.

Also, Pic-a-Pix Deluxe has a cool demo, and if you like that type of puzzle then it'll release next week for €8, including 300 puzzles.

Edited by Pickle Rick
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pickle Rick said:

@RizzleAbbey12 there's a bunch of stuff on sale now, might want to figure out if you feel like making a decent library right away. I know I think Shovel Knight and Fast RMX are worth their full price.

Also, Pic-a-Pix Deluxe has a cool demo, and if you like that type of puzzle then it'll release next week for €8, including 300 puzzles.

Yeah, I had a look at that today and I've made a pretty long Wishlist on the eShop :). I think the first game I'm going to get (when I can) is either Stardew Valley or Super Mario Odyssey. I've not decided which though yet. 

I did see that today and I'm planning on downloading it as soon as my Switch has charged up a bit more. I've been playing some of the demo for a game called Project Octopath Traveller which is actually really good and the story is quite interesting as well. 

8 hours ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

Yeah, I had a look at that today and I've made a pretty long Wishlist on the eShop :). I think the first game I'm going to get (when I can) is either Stardew Valley or Super Mario Odyssey. I've not decided which though yet. 

I did see that today and I'm planning on downloading it as soon as my Switch has charged up a bit more. I've been playing some of the demo for a game called Project Octopath Traveller which is actually really good and the story is quite interesting as well. 

Both are great. Stardew Valley is much cheaper than Super Mario Odyssey so I don't see why you can't get both :) both games are great and they're nothing alike, it's not like choosing between Super Mario Odyssey and Yooka-Laylee.

I got quickly bored with the Octopath demo but then again it's not the type of game I usually enjoy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pickle Rick said:

I felt like punishing myself so I just bought Völgarr The Viking.

I've been playing easy games for too long now and I shouldn't get comfortable with that.

I might look into it...if you really want a challenge I recommend The End is Nigh :)

17 hours ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

Still need to play the demo myself but I know I will be picking this game up when it releases so playing the demo might be moot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Miles_Warren said:

if you really want a challenge I recommend The End is Nigh :)

Oh man, I took one look at that on the eShop and thought nope haha :D!

9 hours ago, Pickle Rick said:

Both are great. Stardew Valley is much cheaper than Super Mario Odyssey so I don't see why you can't get both :) both games are great and they're nothing alike, it's not like choosing between Super Mario Odyssey and Yooka-Laylee.

I got quickly bored with the Octopath demo but then again it's not the type of game I usually enjoy.

Yeah, I could do that but I think I might get Super Mario Odyssey when I've got enough money for it. But saying that, there's a new Harvest Moon game coming out soon and I do love a Harvest Moon game! :P 2018 is going to be a great year for my Switch haha! 

Everybody notice how games under ten days ago from first played now already have playtimes? It's a small adjustment but it's one I love.

12 hours ago, Miles_Warren said:

I might look into it...if you really want a challenge I recommend The End is Nigh :)

Mèh, there's "challenge" and there's "challenge". I like a Super Meat Boy challenge but not an I Wanna Be The Guy challenge.

I played a few minutes of Völgarr, I like it for €5. Don't know how far I'll get, it's definitely not a game I can play on auto-pilot.

9 hours ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

Yeah, I could do that but I think I might get Super Mario Odyssey when I've got enough money for it. But saying that, there's a new Harvest Moon game coming out soon and I do love a Harvest Moon game! :P 2018 is going to be a great year for my Switch haha! 

Supposedly Stardew Valley is better than anything Harvest Moon / Story Of Seasons has done in forever, plus you'd be sponsoring a one-man developing team.

• Like 1

On 31/12/2017 at 1:11 PM, Pickle Rick said:

I felt like punishing myself so I just bought Völgarr The Viking.

I've been playing easy games for too long now and I shouldn't get comfortable with that.

On 31/12/2017 at 3:56 PM, Miles_Warren said:

I might look into it...

On 01/01/2018 at 4:28 AM, Pickle Rick said:

I played a few minutes of Völgarr, I like it for €5. Don't know how far I'll get, it's definitely not a game I can play on auto-pilot.

Well, I took the time to play Völgarr...

... I'm having a blast!

I just beat the boss of world 1, which is at the end of the second "level", a level can be played through in a couple of minutes once you know what you're doing.

Only took me an hour or two to be able to beat the first boss...

I'm definitely enjoying the game a lot, I'd say if you like tough but fair games then Völgar would probably be worth its full price to you. And it's 50% off right now, just for another day I think.

60+ hours of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and I'm totally immersed in the game. I'm enjoying this a lot more than say Persona 5 which I grew somewhat bored of because of repetitive battles and always being told to go to sleep when I wanted to do something. I'm not having much luck with the core crystal RNG though, but I've gotten a couple of decent rare blades. 

I wish the game was video capture compatible so I could show you some of the gorgeous environments and fantastic music.

2 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

60+ hours of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and I'm totally immersed in the game. I'm enjoying this a lot more than say Persona 5 which I grew somewhat bored of because of repetitive battles and always being told to go to sleep when I wanted to do something. I'm not having much luck with the core crystal RNG though, but I've gotten a couple of decent rare blades. 

I wish the game was video capture compatible so I could show you some of the gorgeous environments and fantastic music.

I really wish every game supported video capture, like the way PS4 implements it at a system level. I actually have a HDMI video capture device, but it has to be used via a PC app, which means connecting a laptop to the capture device... it's too much effort for somebody just wanting to share a quick clip. And of course HDMI video capture devices only work in Docked Mode anyway, and some of us Switch gamers are in Handheld Mode most of the time.

I'm totally engrossed in the Kingdom Hearts series on PS4 now (which is an interesting set of ports... one of the games started out on PSP!), but XC2 will probably be my first JRPG on the Switch, when I finally get to it. I started XC1 on the 3DS but haven't played beyond the prologue. I'm trying to decide if I want to keep going with the first game, or just move onto the sequel. I know they aren't linked in terms of story, but I'm conditioned to play game series in chronological order.

On 12/5/2017 at 10:56 AM, Pickle Rick said:

I definitely recommend it, though I think as a "gateway game" something like Snipperclips would be better.

I know this is a month-old post, but yeah you're right. The game started out very simple but that difficulty ramped up quickly. I got stuck on the 20th level or so. The game is fun but the controls are slightly wonky to me. Anyway, I think I need to look at a walkthrough for that one puzzle because I was completely stuck, and nothing I tried helped at all. That's my curse, I like puzzle games but I'm not always very good at them and I tend to get stuck.

I picked up a game called The End Is Nigh for the Switch from Gamestop the other day.

I had to laugh, they didn't have a sealed copy of the game because the store I went to only got one copy of the game to sell, which they of course had to open and put out on display.  Guess they didn't expect it to sell very well.

I had played it briefly on PC prior to getting it on Switch and it's similar to Super Meat Boy but with less of a speedrun mentality and a little more of a Metroidvania-esque interconnected level/world design... it's got one of SMB's developers behind it, so the similarities make sense.  Cool game, I'm enjoying it.  Plays well.  Tough as nails platformer.  Might be a game I save for weekends though, because I don't necessarily need that shit (cool as it may be) after a long day at work and an hour+ drive through traffic and harsh winter weather. xD

Might also be worth getting a Pro controller for since the joy-con grip only holds up so well with the precision stuff... though I'm doing alright with it so far.

Edited by Dreakon13

19 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I really wish every game supported video capture, like the way PS4 implements it at a system level. I actually have a HDMI video capture device, but it has to be used via a PC app, which means connecting a laptop to the capture device... it's too much effort for somebody just wanting to share a quick clip. And of course HDMI video capture devices only work in Docked Mode anyway, and some of us Switch gamers are in Handheld Mode most of the time.

I'm totally engrossed in the Kingdom Hearts series on PS4 now (which is an interesting set of ports... one of the games started out on PSP!), but XC2 will probably be my first JRPG on the Switch, when I finally get to it. I started XC1 on the 3DS but haven't played beyond the prologue. I'm trying to decide if I want to keep going with the first game, or just move onto the sequel. I know they aren't linked in terms of story, but I'm conditioned to play game series in chronological order.

I've been considering one of those video capture thingies, but I would mostly want one for 3DS which lost its screenshot capabilities when Miiverse shut down. Didn't find any that wouldn't require modding the hardware somehow or I didn't know what to look for. I'm hopeful Switch's video capture feature will be universal on the system one day. At least screenshots work systemwide at the moment.

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

I picked up a game called The End Is Nigh for the Switch from Gamestop the other day.

I had to laugh, they didn't have a sealed copy of the game because the store I went to only got one copy of the game to sell, which they of course had to open and put out on display.  Guess they didn't expect it to sell very well.

I had played it briefly on PC prior to getting it on Switch and it's similar to Super Meat Boy but with less of a speedrun mentality and a little more of a Metroidvania-esque interconnected level/world design... it's got one of SMB's developers behind it, so the similarities make sense.  Cool game, I'm enjoying it.  Plays well.  Tough as nails platformer.  Might be a game I save for weekends though, because I don't necessarily need that shit (cool as it may be) after a long day at work and an hour+ drive through traffic and harsh winter weather. xD

Might also be worth getting a Pro controller for since the joy-con grip only holds up so well with the precision stuff... though I'm doing alright with it so far.

The Pro controller is nice, but so far I haven't played a game where I felt that the Joy-cons were not acceptable. I played Steamworld Dig 2 at least 95% in Handheld Mode, and the lack of a true D-pad didn't cause any problems for me.

That said, I don't think I'll be getting The End Is Nigh. I hate speedrun challenges and games (except for when they are short sections that feel very fair, like the purple cannon challenges in Mario+Rabbids or the timed non-race power moon challenges in Super Mario Odyssey), and I do love Metroidvanias... but I don't need the tough-as-nails element. I'm too old for that shit. It sounds like the game is polished and well-designed but it's definitely not for me. It's nice to see more indies thriving on the Switch though.

1 hour ago, Eyjabria said:

I've been considering one of those video capture thingies, but I would mostly want one for 3DS which lost its screenshot capabilities when Miiverse shut down. Didn't find any that wouldn't require modding the hardware somehow or I didn't know what to look for. I'm hopeful Switch's video capture feature will be universal on the system one day. At least screenshots work systemwide at the moment.

I feel your pain with the 3DS. I got my Miiverse ZIP file from Nintendo and looking at my screenshots makes me sad, even though I only made about 20 Miiverse posts. Thankfully the Wii U can still capture screenshots using image upload sites, but it's a complicated process. I wish Nintendo would do a firmware update for the Wii U and 3DS to make the Miiverse button function save screenshots to the local storage. It would take nothing away from the Switch to make their two older devices work the same way, and they could do the bare minimum and not add easy Facebook/Twitter upload options... but I doubt they'll do even the bare minimum. It seems like the only updates those systems get now is to lock down homebrew and hacking exploits.

Anyway, video capture devices need a way to get a video feed from handheld devices... to my knowledge only the PSP 3000 (the final model that wasn't a Go) and the Switch support video out. For the 3DS, Vita, and older devices you would need to either mod the hardware or do something silly like point a video camera at the screen while playing with a stand. That last option would be pretty bad quality... I'm sure you've seen Youtube videos recorded this way - I know I used a Goodbye Box Boy walkthrough "let's play" that was recorded from a video camera, for the few times I got stuck playing that game (I was grateful for the videos but the mediocre quality would have been less useful for visually complex games).

But for capturing video for regular consoles (and the Switch when Docked), this device works pretty well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00840353W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I've had mine for almost 4 years, and even though I don't use it very much at all, it works great when I do use it. There are newer, possibly cheaper versions that eliminate the "pre-HDMI" connector. Technically this one can record from analog systems going all the way back to the NES, Atari, etc. if you have the right cables. To convert those old video feeds to HDMI needs convertor boxes and is way more complicated than just getting a cable.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

29 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

The Pro controller is nice, but so far I haven't played a game where I felt that the Joy-cons were not acceptable. I played Steamworld Dig 2 at least 95% in Handheld Mode, and the lack of a true D-pad didn't cause any problems for me.

That said, I don't think I'll be getting The End Is Nigh. I hate speedrun challenges and games (except for when they are short sections that feel very fair, like the purple cannon challenges in Mario+Rabbids or the timed non-race power moon challenges in Super Mario Odyssey), and I do love Metroidvanias... but I don't need the tough-as-nails element. I'm too old for that shit. It sounds like the game is polished and well-designed but it's definitely not for me. It's nice to see more indies thriving on the Switch though.

Yeah, you're probably right.  The joycons really haven't been a problem with The End Is Nigh (or any game really at this point)... just 'the grass is greener' effect I think, kinda assuming the Pro controller would be better suited for these "hardcore" games (for lack of a better phrase).

I'm not really a huge fan of the tough as nails stuff these days either honestly.  Hence why The End Is Nigh will probably be more of a "when I feel like it on the weekend" kinda game, in between other games, since I don't think I really need too much additional frustration during the work week.  It's nice every once in a while for the mental/dexterity workout though.  Awfully satisfying to finally nail a tough section.

Edited by Dreakon13

2 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

38 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

14 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Yeah, you're probably right.  The joycons really haven't been a problem with The End Is Nigh (or any game really at this point)... just 'the grass is greener' effect I think, kinda assuming the Pro controller would be better suited for these "hardcore" games (for lack of a better phrase).

I'm not really a huge fan of the tough as nails stuff these days either honestly.  Hence why The End Is Nigh will probably be more of a "when I feel like it on the weekend" kinda game, in between other games, since I don't think I really need too much additional frustration during the work week.  It's nice every once in a while for the mental/dexterity workout though.  Awfully satisfying to finally nail a tough section.

On tough as nails: I'm currently playing Völgarr The Viking and I'm enjoying it a lot. I think today is the last day of it being 50% off. It actually becomes easier when you figure out what you need to do, like throwing a charged spear at a certain point before walking on so a certain enemy doesn't overwhelm you, or waiting for a bit so you can get several enemies at once with an attack. This is my favourite type of 'tough' game: one that becomes easier once you stop and think about what you need to do.

On The End Is Nigh specifically: @Miles_Warren also mentioned it here recently and I dismissed it because I had already looked at the trailer and it seemed much less "forgiving" (easy when you stop and think) than Super Meat Boy or Völgarr, but I migh just need to look at it again.

On the pro controller: it's my controller of choice when playing in television mode. Though when we're talking about tough games; other than the first few minutes of trying it, I've played Völgarr only in handheld mode and I'm very pleased with how the joycons handle everything.

41 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

On The End Is Nigh specifically: @Miles_Warren also mentioned it here recently and I dismissed it because I had already looked at the trailer and it seemed much less "forgiving" (easy when you stop and think) than Super Meat Boy or Völgarr, but I migh just need to look at it again.

Hold the phone... your impression is that The End Is Nigh is LESS forgiving than Super Meat Boy? No no no, this will not stand. Kill that game with fire, shoot the ashes into space with a rocket and fly it directly into the sun, then use sci-fi technology to make the sun go nova. That's the only way to be sure it's dead.

41 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

On the pro controller: it's my controller of choice when playing in television mode. Though when we're talking about tough games; other than the first few minutes of trying it, I've played Völgarr only in handheld mode and I'm very pleased with how the joycons handle everything.

Yeah, if I'm playing in Docked Mode, I use the Pro Controller 99% of the time. Since I own a Pro, I tend to leave my Joy-cons connected to the Switch all the time. I suppose some of the advanced moves in Super Mario Odyssey are slightly easier with separated Joy-cons, but even the 360 hat spin is very doable with the Pro Controller with a one-handed "flick of the wrist" motion.

@Dreakon13, if you or anyone else need convincing, the Pro Controller is a fantastic controller. If you play Docked Mode very much, it makes a lot of sense if for convenience alone. Charge that bad boy up and you're good to go for at least 20 hours (I think it's supposed to reach 40). And it charges off the dock very conveniently (but being the lazy man I am, I have a USB-C connector in my "gaming chair" that I can use for my phone, tablet, Switch, and Switch Pro Controller). Outside of the convenience though, it is a really nice controller.

4 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Hold the phone... your impression is that The End Is Nigh is LESS forgiving than Super Meat Boy? No no no, this will not stand. Kill that game with fire, shoot the ashes into space with a rocket and fly it directly into the sun, then use sci-fi technology to make the sun go nova. That's the only way to be sure it's dead.

Wait... So are you saying that The End Is Nigh is easier than Super Meat Boy, or not?

3 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

picked up a game called The End Is Nigh for the Switch from Gamestop the other day.

Aw man you got the physical edition? I'm sooo jealous ? I think America is the only region that has the physical edition but the only supplier on Amazon that sells it doesn't deliver to Ireland. D'oh!!

3 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

I'm playing with the Pro Controller. In fact, I play all my Switch games with the controller in docked mode. Never been a big handheld fan. The game plays like a dream with the controller. If I die, it is because I am doing something wrong (e.g. I jump too fast or too high) rather than a delay in controller output. I can't tell you what the difference between the controller and the joycons are in terms of gameplay, precision etc. I imagine they are the same.

2 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Oh, I'm the same. I can't stand speedrun challenges. In fact, the worst thing about Mario Odyssey is the races against the Koopa's *shudders*. I haven't come across any mandatory speedrun sections in TEIN. The game is tough in sections so your ambivalence towards the game is fair and warranted. Oh, and I agree - it is great that indies are thriving on the Switch. Brawlout was released only two weeks ago and has already sold 50,000 units.

1 hour ago, Pickle Rick said:

On tough as nails: I'm currently playing Völgarr The Viking and I'm enjoying it a lot. I think today is the last day of it being 50% off. It actually becomes easier when you figure out what you need to do, like throwing a charged spear at a certain point before walking on so a certain enemy doesn't overwhelm you, or waiting for a bit so you can get several enemies at once with an attack. This is my favourite type of 'tough' game: one that becomes easier once you stop and think about what you need to do.

I'm too busy with Skyrim these days but I am going to file Volgarr the Viking under "One to Watch". Preferably when it is back on sale. ;)

That might be my fault. I didn't describe the game very well. @Dreakon13 did a much better job of selling the game than I ever could. However, I would probably recommend that you wait for a sale or something before picking it up. The game is fairly cheap as is (only €15) but you may find a more interesting game for the same price that might be more down your alley.

Wait... So are you saying that The End Is Nigh is easier than Super Meat Boy, or not?

I think he is just poking fun at you saying that the game is "less" forgiving (meaning it is harder than SMB) rather than "more" forgiving i.e. easier than SMB. ;) He's just kidding. As to your question, I never played SMB so I can't say for certain but as I said earlier, any time I died it was because I did something wrong. So in that sense it is a fair game.

I hate it when my jokes don't land! I guess I need to stick to dad jokes like I usually do.

If I read your comment correctly, you were saying that The End Is Nigh looked harder than Super Meat Boy. I was replying trying to say that any game harder than Super Meat Boy needs to be destroyed with extreme prejudice.

Now comes the part where you say "but Super Meat Boy isn't hard! Gitgud!" ?