Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

214 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

5 hours ago, Simple Rick said:

What's the sale price for you now? You're getting a game that can be played through in a couple of hours, with little replay value. Full price for me was €8, I think, and I didn't mind that I payed that for it.

It's $6.29 which is pretty cheap.

5 hours ago, Simple Rick said:

I'm probably just not explaining myself well enough. We know how to use smartphones and understand what snapchat does, we don't have to be told how wifi works and we don't need a manual to connect a PS4 to a television. I'm not saying we get into every new fad, just that we're aware of the technology. We were young enough that new technology isn't that difficult for us to understand, like my mother-in-law who I had to help with a basic smartphone setting, I forget which (turning off vibrate or something).

That makes more sense. I don't understand exactly what Snapchat does... I would say it's something to do with sharing pictures, but beyond that, I don't know. I am vaguely aware of Instragram and other trendy platforms and services, but I don't know what they actually do. Hell, I've had people in the late 40's (10 years older than me) look at me like I'm from Mars when they ask if I use Facebook and I say no.

But yeah, I get your point. I can usually find well-hidden smartphone settings, and if not, I can MORE IMPORTANTLY find it with a web search. That latter part is a skill mostly lacking from older generations.

I think the element that may define me and possibly my generation the most, is that while I know and use things like Wikipedia extensively, I don't need to always know everything. I can be content to say "I don't know" to questions that I could easily look up online, and I also regularly ask people things when I'm sitting in front of a computer and could easily find the answer. Because I know that sometimes it's better to get live human input.

4 hours ago, Simple Rick said:

Played a bit of Super One More Jump last evening and I enjoyed it. I don't think fans of platformers should miss this game.

I saw the description of "one button platforming" and it threw me off. Is it a runner game, where you just hit the jump button? From what little I played of Runner2, that doesn't appeal to me very much. The mine cart levels of Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze are my least favorite parts of those games, hands down.

4 hours ago, Shiny Suicune said:

lol I love music from the 80's :P

I like Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Candle Box and Alice N' Chains lol. I love Nevermind only because that's the first time I heard of Kurt Cobain and fell in love lol

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy I am 26 for the record and turning 27 in two months lol

One of the best things about watching through each new season of Stranger Things is hearing all the 80's music. I practically jumped off my couch in Season 1 saying "oh my god, it's New Order!" while my wife looked at me like I was crazy. :P

I'm weird, I often like one band and don't like "similar" bands, or I do but they're way down in my preferences. I liked STP for a while but never got into those others you mentioned. Nirvana was way ahead of them for me.

1 minute ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Me: I'm gonna finally beat Darker Side tonight.

Mario: You're not gonna fucking sleep tonight.

If you beat it, you will be a god among men. Yes, I know there is a glitch, I mean beating it without that.

I tried it in one session and gave up after about a dozen attempts. It is brutal. One day I would like to say I did it, but I just don't know if I'll have the patience. I'm fine with not having 100% completion, and I doubt I will ever go back for all the power moons I haven't gotten. But Darker Side is sitting there, mocking me. Ugh.

12 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I saw the description of "one button platforming" and it threw me off. Is it a runner game, where you just hit the jump button? From what little I played of Runner2, that doesn't appeal to me very much. The mine cart levels of Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze are my least favorite parts of those games, hands down.

Based on that, I'd say it's not for you. Also, don't buy Kid Tripp then.

Super One More Jump is indeed what you think, one speed and just jump. It's got bit graphics and based on the first set (of eight sets total) that I got through,it will become very tough towards the end.

I really liked Runner2, to the point that I will probably buy Runner3 day one. I loved the DKC mining levels nd I'm glad to hear that Tropical Freeze has those levels too.

24 minutes ago, Simple Rick said:

I'd be in that event! How would it work? Counting games played, and resetting once you buy something new?

I'm not touching the question though because J-games are hit and often miss for me. I might try Xenoblade at some point. Other than that, we seem to have similar taste. I really like Bloodborne (might have loved it if I could have played it without getting a corrupted save), I love Zelda, I really enjoyed Horizon Zero Dawn but only because of the presentation and story twists as I also thought the gameplay was very bland (just not so bad that I didn't like the whole package). I'd like to try NieR Automata.

I'm preparing that event right now! It will take a while tough since I want to include my whole backlog right from the start. And for how it will work, you basically guessed it. I have a final set of rules with a few twists on that however.

I'd love seeing you participate, altough you seem to have a much tinier backlog than I.

You really should try NieR: Automata. I looooove this game. I like a lot of games but this one is very special to me and I truly mean it when I say I love it. The big problem with NieR is that what makes it so great is also a huge spoiler. It's hard to ''sell'' it.

Jim Sterling said one thing about the game I really like: ''If history forgets this game, then fuck history.''

7 minutes ago, Joker said:

I'm preparing that event right now! It will take a while tough since I want to include my whole backlog right from the start. And for how it will work, you basically guessed it. I have a final set of rules with a few twists on that however.

I'd love seeing you participate, altough you seem to have a much tinier backlog than I.

If story completion counts instead of only 100% and if non-trophy games count then I'm probably game.

My "purchased" backlog is not huge but I've got many unfinished PS+ games and I spend a lot of time gaming and buying new stuff, so I've got a good turnaround.

7 minutes ago, Joker said:

You really should try NieR: Automata. I looooove this game. I like a lot of games but this one is very special to me and I truly mean it when I say I love it. The big problem with NieR is that what makes it so great is also a huge spoiler. It's hard to ''sell'' it.

Jim Sterling said one thing about the game I really like: ''If history forgets this game, then fuck history.''

I'll definitely play it at some point but it's not high on my priority list. Actually I don't think it's on my priority list at all 

36 minutes ago, Simple Rick said:

Based on that, I'd say it's not for you. Also, don't buy Kid Tripp then.

Super One More Jump is indeed what you think, one speed and just jump. It's got bit graphics and based on the first set (of eight sets total) that I got through,it will become very tough towards the end.

I really liked Runner2, to the point that I will probably buy Runner3 day one. I loved the DKC mining levels nd I'm glad to hear that Tropical Freeze has those levels too.

Runner2 was a well-made, polished game, so I can't just write it off as a cheap cash-in. But when I see games that could be or actually were smartphone games that consisted of "tap to jump", I'm not motivated to buy them on a console. Oh, and I saw Kid Tripp when it first came out, and decided against it since I read a review that confirmed it was a runner. Anyway, thanks for the clarification on Super OMJ. It's definitely not for me.

The mine cart levels are indeed back in Tropical Freeze, and more frustrating than ever! I hate them, but you'll love them. :P

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 1

Some cool games coming to the Switch recently.  Iconoclasts and Celeste are both more retro styled platformers released the last few days that are reviewing really well.

My only question is how do I get physical copies of them? ?  I'll probably be waiting a little while, if not forever.

4 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Some cool games coming to the Switch recently.  Iconoclasts and Celeste are both more retro styled platformers released the last few days that are reviewing really well.

My only question is how do I get physical copies of them? 1f621.png  I'll probably be waiting a little while, if not forever.

Celeste looks interesting but I'm not quite sold on it yet. Iconoclasts is something I hadn't heard of before but it looks neat (and much prettier than Celeste's retro graphics). Hmm.

I like digital games so I don't need to wait if I decide to get them, but for you... I think at least Celeste has a shot at a physical release. It was in the last Direct video, and it looks like it will sell very well. Maybe you won't have to wait to long. Or you know, you could get on board the digital train. :awesome:

15 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Celeste looks interesting but I'm not quite sold on it yet. Iconoclasts is something I hadn't heard of before but it looks neat (and much prettier than Celeste's retro graphics). Hmm.

I like digital games so I don't need to wait if I decide to get them, but for you... I think at least Celeste has a shot at a physical release. It was in the last Direct video, and it looks like it will sell very well. Maybe you won't have to wait to long. Or you know, you could get on board the digital train. :awesome:

I am tempted to pick Celeste up digitally at least, as it seems more my type than Iconoclasts... I could really use a good platformer that's a challenge but not quite as nail bitingly tough as the endgame worlds (I think that's the best way to phrase them) of The End Is Nigh.  In quite the gaming rut lately, none of my PS3/PS4 backlog is really piquing my interest.

EDIT: This would also be breaking my resolution of not buying any new releases in 2018 but eh... screw it. ?

Life is too short to willfully wait a full year for things I want.

Edited by Dreakon13

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Runner2 was a well-made, polished game, so I can't just write it off as a cheap cash-in. But when I see games that could be or actually were smartphone games that consisted of "tap to jump", I'm not motivated to buy them on a console. Oh, and I saw Kid Tripp when it first came out, and decided against it since I read a review that confirmed it was a runner. Anyway, thanks for the clarification on Super OMJ. It's definitely not for me.

I know nothing about the phone game but I've read that Super One More Jump has had a complete overhaul for the Switch release.

Also, after my talk about why I prefer indies over AAA these days: one button gaming is exactly the kind of crazy but fun idea that no AAA publisher wants to hear about.

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

The mine cart levels are indeed back in Tropical Freeze, and more frustrating than ever! I hate them, but you'll love them. :P

Precedent indicates the odds are in favour of that statement being correct, sir.

29 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

My only question is how do I get physical copies of them? 1f621.png  I'll probably be waiting a little while, if not forever.

Hello there, me from seven years ago! :D

I actually bought an X360 Arcade back then since I figured I would never buy digital games. Here we are, almost eight years later now, and since the Switch started I've bought no less than three €60 retail titles digitally right on release.

27 minutes ago, Simple Rick said:

Hello there, me from seven years ago! :D

I actually bought an X360 Arcade back then since I figured I would never buy digital games. Here we are, almost eight years later now, and since the Switch started I've bought no less than three €60 retail titles digitally right on release.

The ironic thing is that the Switch is actually more ideal for physical collecting than ever IMO.  With the exception of having to carry cases around with you, which isn't ideal for a portable machine obviously... its internal storage (without an extra SD card) is pretty insufficient and lends itself to buying retail copies, and the "cartridges" feel so much sturdier, more sleek, and palatable than the standard discs.  I'm not as concerned with the cartridge slot on the Switch frying, than I am weary of the optical disc drive on my PS3/PS4.

Just this guys opinion though. :)

Edited by Dreakon13

8 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

The ironic thing is that the Switch is actually more ideal for physical collecting than ever IMO.  With the exception of having to carry cases around with you, which isn't ideal for a portable machine obviously... its internal storage (without an extra SD card) is pretty insufficient and lends itself to buying retail copies, and the "cartridges" feel so much sturdier, more sleek, and palatable than the standard discs.  I'm not as concerned with the cartridge slot on the Switch frying, than I am weary of the optical disc drive on my PS3/PS4.

Just this guys opinion though. :)

Personally I'm very pleased with immediately having all games at hand when I go somewhere. It's so damn easy... Plus, a larger percentage of my money ends up at Nintendo and the devs, and there's no environmental footprint because there's no transport, or production of cartridges/packaging.

I've also bought an 128GB microSD card, which *checking* is more than half free space, after almost a year of buying lots of games and deleting none of them. And my internal storage still has over 25GB of free space.

More than half of the GBs already in use is just Skyrim, Mario Kart 8, Yooka-Laylee and Super Mario Odyssey, by the way. I've got 26 games on there who are individually all under 1GB, 7 of which aren't even 100MB.

6 hours ago, Joker said:

Hey guys, I got a little favor to ask.

I want to play Xenoblade Chronicles 2 but I'm just not sure.

Recently I'm strictly limiting my purchases so that I can only buy a new game after I've completed 3 from by backlog. (I think I will make an Event out of that :hmm:)

Anyway, never played much of Xeno-anything. I did however try the Wii version of the first game and liked it. But not to an extent where I was consumed by it. I did cast it aside and never finished it, which is why I'm not sure about this one.

Is there anyone with a similair taste in RPG's who loves this game?

These are my favourite RPG's from the last couple years:

Bloodborne - and obviously the whole Souls series too.

NieR: Automata - Best fucking game of 2017.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild - I know, not really that much of an RPG but it has all the qualities I like in them.

Ni No Kuni - just an overall fun experience. Really loved the caracters and the music.

Games I really don't like:

The Surge - I think this is an atrocious, unplayable piece of software.

Diablo III - I don't like the series as a whole, but this one I played a little bit more of.

Horizon Zero Dawn - It's not that I think it's shit, I just don't get the praise. The Story seems to be fantastic but the rest of the game is just boring and bland to me. The whole combat system is a little lame to say the least.

Can anyone with the same taste in games recommend it to me? Pretty please?

Haven't really played the games you listed as your favorite so I don't know if my opinion counts. Been watching husbando play Bloodborne and Zelda: BotW and both seem interesting. Bloodborne's battle system doesn't have much similarities with Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Zelda's exploration is similar to how you can explore vast areas in XBC2. Skyrim is also a good comparison for the exploration in XBC2 (where you find hidden treasure chests also). 

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has kept my interest since Christmas (haven't played anything else since I started it) and my save file has over 160 hours clocked in now. I'm near the end of the main story but I keep getting sidetracked with exploring and side quests. 
I like the story, music, the characters, exploration and the battle system which combines the use of driver arts, blade arts, elements, driver combos and blade combos. In short, you actively move and control what happens during battles and using the right skills at the right time will result into higher damage output. When you advance in the game you get more choices for your party formation and you can select which character in your party you control, so you're not stuck with the same character throughout the game. 
The story cutscenes are kind of like watching a good anime, there's drama and some humorous events. My husband who's a big fan of Souls games wants to watch how the story unfolds and is also interested in watching me play in general. 

I was unsure if I'd like the game (hadn't played any Xenoblade series games before) but it has exceeded my expectations and really sucked me in. If you're still unsure if you'd like the game, you could wait for a discount or buy it second-hand?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Simple Rick said:

I know nothing about the phone game but I've read that Super One More Jump has had a complete overhaul for the Switch release.

Also, after my talk about why I prefer indies over AAA these days: one button gaming is exactly the kind of crazy but fun idea that no AAA publisher wants to hear about.

Yeah, while Super Mario Run is from a AAA publisher, it's a smartphone game (that I have no interest in I might add), not a console game. I think you're right that AAA publishers aren't really interested in those ideas (unless they include microtransactions).

I do like crazy but fun ideas. Let's start calling them "fun-zy". :P But this specific fun-zy idea is not for me.

2 hours ago, Simple Rick said:

Personally I'm very pleased with immediately having all games at hand when I go somewhere. It's so damn easy... Plus, a larger percentage of my money ends up at Nintendo and the devs, and there's no environmental footprint because there's no transport, or production of cartridges/packaging.

I've also bought an 128GB microSD card, which *checking* is more than half free space, after almost a year of buying lots of games and deleting none of them. And my internal storage still has over 25GB of free space.

More than half of the GBs already in use is just Skyrim, Mario Kart 8, Yooka-Laylee and Super Mario Odyssey, by the way. I've got 26 games on there who are individually all under 1GB, 7 of which aren't even 100MB.

It's interesting to see you and Dreakon13 go back and forth about physical vs digital, because you're almost on opposite ends of the spectrum (I say almost because Dreakon13 is not completely anti-digital like some people). And I'm in the middle somewhere. I like and prefer digital in general, but I won't pay extra for the privilege. My standpoint is, without the physical production costs, I shouldn't be paying more for digital. And with the 20% discount I get from Best Buy, new games are always cheaper physical. I think they might be starting to add digital discounts though, in which case I'd "Switch" to that.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

2 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

It's interesting to see you and Dreakon13 go back and forth about physical vs digital, because you're almost on opposite ends of the spectrum (I say almost because Dreakon13 is not completely anti-digital like some people). And I'm in the middle somewhere. I like and prefer digital in general, but I won't pay extra for the privilege. My standpoint is, without the physical production costs, I shouldn't be paying more for digital. And with the 20% discount I get from Best Buy, new games are always cheaper physical. I think they might be starting to add digital discounts though, in which case I'd "Switch" to that.

When I was exclusively gaming on PC, I was doing nothing but digital (didn't have much of a choice).  On the PC with services like GOG DRM-free and Steams relatively loose DRM, it felt like I really owned the game.  GOG in particular you could throw installation exe's onto thumb drives and you're set.  Consoles feel a little different.  You don't "have" the game files, you have an encrypted start button that Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo lend to you indefinitely for a modest fee.  And if they want to, they can take that start button away.

And digital games should be cheaper.  Sales are one thing, but there's absolutely no excuse a game should cost the same between digital and physical on release day.  Digital has less middle-men, no manufacturing costs, no overhead, etc.  That was the appeal and kind of an unspoken understanding when PC started transitioning to digital, to trim the fat off of the process and trim the fat off the price accordingly... but it never really happened (or if it did, it didn't last very long).

I wouldn't go fully digital on console for basically these reasons, as long as there are other options.  But also because I just prefer holding my favorite games in my hand, versus it just being another game on a list on Sony's servers somewhere.

Edited by Dreakon13

21 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

When I was exclusively gaming on PC, I was doing nothing but digital (didn't have much of a choice).  On the PC with services like GOG DRM-free and Steams relatively loose DRM, it felt like I really owned the game.  GOG in particular you could throw installation exe's onto thumb drives and you're set.  Consoles feel a little different.  You don't "have" the game files, you have an encrypted start button that Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo lend to you indefinitely for a modest fee.  And if they want to, they can take that start button away.

And digital games should be cheaper.  Sales are one thing, but there's absolutely no excuse a game should cost the same between digital and physical on release day.  Digital has less middle-men, no manufacturing costs, no overhead, etc.  That was the appeal and kind of an unspoken understanding when PC started transitioning to digital, to trim the fat off of the process and trim the fat off the price accordingly... but it never really happened (or if it did, it didn't last very long).

I wouldn't go fully digital on console for basically these reasons, as long as there are other options.  But also because I just prefer holding my favorite games in my hand, versus it just being another game on a list on Sony's servers somewhere.

It's interesting that you bring up Steam and GOG, because I remember installing Steam back in November 2004, when Half Life 2 first released. I got it on release day and was super excited to play it, but it required Steam (and it was the first singleplayer game to do so... not sure about stuff like CounterStrike that I didn't play). Back then, Steam was mostly for DRM... I don't remember if you could even buy games digitally on Steam in 2004. If you could, I wasn't interested because the concept was completely foreign to me. Since I was a recent college graduate at the time, digital content to me mostly meant Napster and other stuff that didn't involve spending money.

Anyway, I remember the slow creep of digital gaming on the PC. When I stopped playing on PC, maybe around 2012, I remember this same anti-digital argument being made against Steam. Now I see it being made against PSN/XboxLive/eShop. I agree that the control that Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo have is greater than Valve has (so the argument has taken on a slightly different context), but I definitely remember Steam not sitting well at ALL with a vocal group of PC gamers. That was part of the appeal of GOG, and largely what helped it thrive I think. But now, for the most part, PC gamers accept Steam as the option of choice. I also think the change to digital was inevitable for the PC, because multiplatform developers could not assume PC gamers would have Blu-ray drives like their PS3 audience had, and multi-DVD games never really took off on the PC.

At the end of the day, I don't predict that consoles will become digital only in the near future. Limited Run Games and similar groups have been very successful, and many gamers still remember the huge backlash from Xbox One's initial digital plans.

I agree with you about the Switch cartridges in that they feel sturdy and slick. Much like the 3DS cartridges, they feel like they're nearly impossible to damage, and they look a little more modern. I like them, but I don't like them enough to not prefer digital if the price is the same (or lower).

34 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

It's interesting that you bring up Steam and GOG, because I remember installing Steam back in November 2004, when Half Life 2 first released. I got it on release day and was super excited to play it, but it required Steam (and it was the first singleplayer game to do so... not sure about stuff like CounterStrike that I didn't play). Back then, Steam was mostly for DRM... I don't remember if you could even buy games digitally on Steam in 2004. If you could, I wasn't interested because the concept was completely foreign to me. Since I was a recent college graduate at the time, digital content to me mostly meant Napster and other stuff that didn't involve spending money.

Anyway, I remember the slow creep of digital gaming on the PC. When I stopped playing on PC, maybe around 2012, I remember this same anti-digital argument being made against Steam. Now I see it being made against PSN/XboxLive/eShop. I agree that the control that Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo have is greater than Valve has (so the argument has taken on a slightly different context), but I definitely remember Steam not sitting well at ALL with a vocal group of PC gamers. That was part of the appeal of GOG, and largely what helped it thrive I think. But now, for the most part, PC gamers accept Steam as the option of choice. I also think the change to digital was inevitable for the PC, because multiplatform developers could not assume PC gamers would have Blu-ray drives like their PS3 audience had, and multi-DVD games never really took off on the PC.

At the end of the day, I don't predict that consoles will become digital only in the near future. Limited Run Games and similar groups have been very successful, and many gamers still remember the huge backlash from Xbox One's initial digital plans.

I agree with you about the Switch cartridges in that they feel sturdy and slick. Much like the 3DS cartridges, they feel like they're nearly impossible to damage, and they look a little more modern. I like them, but I don't like them enough to not prefer digital if the price is the same (or lower).

I think a lot of PC gamers have to accept Steam as the option of choice.  Personally speaking, I was only really heavy into PC gaming between 2012-2016 and I have 600+ games there.  It's mostly junk... but plenty of decent games added through sales, bundles, legit new releases, etc.  Console gamers often have brand loyalty to their consoles because they have maybe 30, 40, 50 games and wouldn't want to start over.  Can you imagine the folks on Steam with thousands? xD

GOG has no DRM, and Steam is hit and miss.  Some games are happy to run without Steam being open (basically DRM free), some games aren't.  I believe it's at the developers discretion.  The games that aren't... excuse my being blunt... are crack-able and you can claim ownership of your purchases at any time really if you don't mind venturing into that murky gray area.  Plus Steam and GOG have agreements where owning a game on one service can unlock it on the other... typically for a limited time (look up GOG Connect).  PC digital in general feels more forgiving than consoles (and thusly less offensive to me lol), and I don't really see that changing anytime soon.  Heck, the jump from PS3 to PS4 shown further limitations by locking purchases down to accounts and consoles by introducing "primary PS4's".  It'll probably get worse before it gets better.

Thank goodness for groups like Limited Run Games, Special Reserve Games, iam8bit, Strictly Limited, Fangamer, etc... the fact there are more of them popping up every day is great.  And as long as I have the disposible income for it, I don't mind (in some cases) paying well over the digital price for them.  They deserve it.  Now I just need them getting big new releases on a more regular basis. ;)  (And to stop teasing Switch games and get movin' already!)

Edited by Dreakon13

10 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

If you beat it, you will be a god among men. Yes, I know there is a glitch, I mean beating it without that.

I tried it in one session and gave up after about a dozen attempts. It is brutal. One day I would like to say I did it, but I just don't know if I'll have the patience. I'm fine with not having 100% completion, and I doubt I will ever go back for all the power moons I haven't gotten. But Darker Side is sitting there, mocking me. Ugh.

I've made it to Donkey Kong with no issue but every time I get there, I've usually already lost a few hearts and the change of direction on the joystick usually throws me off and leads to a dodgy death.

I did so good too, I was up to the platform bit where the little colorful spikey assholes swarm you and you have to make it to the end of the thing, and I made it all the way to the last one without activating one of those bomb things and then I accidentally did with like 10 seconds left and you should have seen the backflip dodges, I finally believe Mario has a place at the olympics after seeing what he could do.

And then I died again at Donkey Kong and gave up.

But I will beat it some day. Eventually. To be honest I've not tried as many times as I should have. I got up to it back in early November but then the swamp of Switch releases came in and I got sucked into Sonic, LA Noire, Doom, and Rocket League for most of my Switch's next couple months. Now Doom and Sonic are done, and I haven't played LA Noire in a while, I think beating this asshole level will be my next focus whenever I have the time.

5 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

I think a lot of PC gamers have to accept Steam as the option of choice.  Personally speaking, I was only really heavy into PC gaming between 2012-2016 and I have 600+ games there.  It's mostly junk... but plenty of decent games added through sales, bundles, legit new releases, etc.  Console gamers often have brand loyalty to their consoles because they have maybe 30, 40, 50 games and wouldn't want to start over.  Can you imagine the folks on Steam with thousands? xD

GOG has no DRM, and Steam is hit and miss.  Some games are happy to run without Steam being open (basically DRM free), some games aren't.  I believe it's at the developers discretion.  The games that aren't... excuse my being blunt... are crack-able and you can claim ownership of your purchases at any time really if you don't mind venturing into that murky gray area.  Plus Steam and GOG have agreements where owning a game on one service can unlock it on the other... typically for a limited time (look up GOG Connect).  PC digital in general feels more forgiving than consoles (and thusly less offensive to me lol), and I don't really see that changing anytime soon.  Heck, the jump from PS3 to PS4 shown further limitations by locking purchases down to accounts and consoles by introducing "primary PS4's".  It'll probably get worse before it gets better.

Thank goodness for groups like Limited Run Games, Special Reserve Games, iam8bit, Strictly Limited, Fangamer, etc... the fact there are more of them popping up every day is great.  And as long as I have the disposible income for it, I don't mind (in some cases) paying well over the digital price for them.  They deserve it.  Now I just need them getting big new releases on a more regular basis. ;)  (And to stop teasing Switch games and get movin' already!)

Interesting, I got out of PC gaming when you were getting in it. I probably have 1000 Steam games or close to it. A lot of it was junk, and a lot of it was stuff I had already played and gotten again through bundles. Anyway, my tastes changed when I started getting into the Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil franchises, and I had to get a Wii (to play Gamecube games), then a PS3, and I never looked back. I decided to just ditch it all. I can't imagine myself ever getting back to PC gaming, but 10 years ago I never thought I would ever leave it. So who knows. 

There are a lot of great PC games of course, but thankfully most of the genres that favor the PC no longer interest me. 

Hell, with my backlog as bit as it is, Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo would be doing me a favor if they "forgot" that I bought some of my digital games. Sure I would be mad, but it would be one way of paring that list down. :awesome:

For me, groups like Limited Run Games are kind of like vinyl records for new albums. I have no interest in either, but they also don't affect my preferred way of playing games and listening to music. And it's cool that there is a market there to meet the demand. 

@Eyjabria Thanks for the long answer! I will definitely look into it when I killed some stuff from my backlog. The other major thing is that Monster Hunter World just released ? 

I wish I could go back in time, as a teenager I played Monster Hunter for over 900 hours on a single save. I simply don't have the time for all those releases anymore.

A friend of mine gifted me Celeste on my PC (and Iconoclasts but I'm not playing that right now).

First impressions of Celeste, very enjoyable.  I was reading reviews on Steam and a lot of people were calling Celeste "what The End Is Nigh should've been".  Which was surprising because TEIN seems like such an unknown game (at least I thought it released with very little fanfare, on PC and elsewhere later)... so I didn't expect reviews to refer to it.

They aren't entirely wrong though, Celeste is structured VERY similarly to The End Is Nigh.  Game is divided into chapters, the chapters are comprised of interconnected segments that may involve taking optional routes or backtracking, and it's challenging... but considerably moreso if you try to collect everything possible.  Since I have a real hard time letting things go in these games, I'll probably try to collect as much as I can... and Celeste will probably become a similarly exasperating experience for me as TEIN was/is.  I dunno if it's better than The End Is Nigh, but the retro graphics and music are somewhere between pleasant and great, the controls are tight and platforming solid (though as you'll read I'm handicapped a bit on PC).  I have to admit the brief bits of dialog in Celeste are actually quite amusing too, and not in the quirky, disgusting way The End Is Nigh tries to be.

I wish I had something better than my Xbox 360 controller on my PC.  As much of a hard time as I gave the Switch's joy-cons before... I've gotten pretty comfortable with them and they work unexpectedly well with platformers.  The Xbox 360 controller however is notoriously bad with platformers (and fighters; since the d-pad sucks)... and I'm stuck using the joystick.  Not the end of the world, but joysticks are definitely not as comfortable with this kind of game.

As such, I may still pick up Celeste for the Switch.  Ideally in physical form down the road, there's always room in my collection for a good platformer.  But this works out nicely since I don't have to break my resolution to enjoy the game... as my resolution was to not buy any new 2018 releases.  Doesn't say anything about getting them for free. ;)

If anyone is looking for another pure platformer for their arsenal, you could do a lot worse than Celeste.

Edited by Dreakon13

2 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

I wish I had something better than my Xbox 360 controller on my PC.  As much of a hard time as I gave the Switch's joy-cons before... I've gotten pretty comfortable with them and they work unexpectedly well with platformers.  The Xbox 360 controller however is notoriously bad with platformers (and fighters; since the d-pad sucks)... and I'm stuck using the joystick.  Not the end of the world, but joysticks are definitely not as comfortable with this kind of game.

In case you didn't know, the Xbox One controller and the Dual Shock 4 are both compatible with a PC, at least wired via USB. I think they can also both work via Bluetooth with some extra tweaking. 

Oxenfree

Okay, any one of you people who claim story and mood matters more than gameplay, put your money where your mouth is and buy Oxenfree, NOW.

Basically, you're walking around an island with a couple of people, talking with each other (with dialogue branching paths) while the story unfolds, occasionally doing some minor gameplay like climbing or flipping a switch, but mostly the game is about the conversations, and what happens around you.

And boy, are things getting weird now.

Really, this game is hitting all the right notes for me. I love experiencing this story, and the gameplay is not getting in the way of enjoying the story, which is what I ask for with games like this. Very curious to see what happens next, pand a scene I just experienced was very weird and cool.

Seriously, unless you're totally not into the supernatural mystery genre or only want to play games with a heavy emphasis on (tough) gameplay, you should not ignore Oxenfree. You won't be disappointed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simple Rick said:

Oxenfree

Okay, any one of you people who claim story and mood matters more than gameplay, put your money where your mouth is and buy Oxenfree, NOW.

Basically, you're walking around an island with a couple of people, talking with each other (with dialogue branching paths) while the story unfolds, occasionally doing some minor gameplay like climbing or flipping a switch, but mostly the game is about the conversations, and what happens around you.

And boy, are things getting weird now.

Really, this game is hitting all the right notes for me. I love experiencing this story, and the gameplay is not getting in the way of enjoying the story, which is what I ask for with games like this. Very curious to see what happens next, pand a scene I just experienced was very weird and cool.

Seriously, unless you're totally not into the supernatural mystery genre or only want to play games with a heavy emphasis on (tough) gameplay, you should not ignore Oxenfree. You won't be disappointed.

I've got it on Xbox, but haven't fired it up.

You've got me interested and all, but the main thing for me, is how long would you say it takes to beat? Like, it took me a couple months to burn through Doom. I play what I can when I can but it ain't ever as much as I'd like, so with that in mind, if the game is relatively short or quick, that'd be swell.

9 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

In case you didn't know, the Xbox One controller and the Dual Shock 4 are both compatible with a PC, at least wired via USB. I think they can also both work via Bluetooth with some extra tweaking. 

Yeah, using the Xbox One controller or Dual Shock 4 wired wouldn't be too helpful since I hook my laptop up to the living room TV when I play games and the cables aren't long enough to reach my couch (and playing at my desk is uncomfortable IMO).  And my laptop doesn't have bluetooth bluetooth built in and I don't have a dongle.  Plus the Xbox 360 pad is one of the gamepads on PC with the best compatibility... the rest have their share of issues, even if they seemingly shouldn't with either native or third party xinput support.

7 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I've got it on Xbox, but haven't fired it up.

You've got me interested and all, but the main thing for me, is how long would you say it takes to beat? Like, it took me a couple months to burn through Doom. I play what I can when I can but it ain't ever as much as I'd like, so with that in mind, if the game is relatively short or quick, that'd be swell.

I know you weren't asking me but it took me about 4 hours to finish my playthrough, it's not a very long game. It's also quite simple, but has a lot of personality in its characters/dialog.

I'm not sure how long it'd take for all trophies/achievements.

Edited by Dreakon13