Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

Unbox: Newbie's Adventure

I think I'm the only guy who's bought it on here.

On 12/15/2017 at 11:20 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

I'm curious what you think about this one. It looked interesting, but at $30 it was too much for me. It's now $15 but I'm not convinced.

This one's for you, baby g.

If I had to give you a simple yes or no answer on if it's worth buying, it would probably be no. 

If I had to give you a simple yes or no answer on if it's worth buying while it's still half price, it would probably still be no.

If I had to give you a simple yes or no answer on if it's worth playing at all, it would probably be no.

Is the game great, no. Is the game above average, no. Is the game at least average, I guess? Is the game over price as all fuck, definitely.

So you're a box. In a world of other boxes. And y'all are sentient and self delivering. Do boxes get ripped up and thrown in the bin once they're delivered in this world? I don't know, but since the characters are so bland and, well, basically like cardboard, I wouldn't really care too much if they did. You play as a new box, by the name of Newbie, and no matter what you actually name the guy, you get referred to as Newbie the whole time. I've completed level one, of what appears to be about four or so. Each level is a small kind of hub, wherein there's 15 or so missions you can do to get a stamp. There's 18 in level one and I forgot how many in level two, but it's less than 20 also. Once you get ten in the first level, you can do a boss fight, which was piss easy too. Anyway, you're a sentient box in a world of sentient boxes doing sentient box stuff, and that's about where you'll lose interest, because there's nothing really on top of that basic premise. You roll around, you can jump, double jump, and slam down while in a jump, and that's the limit of your abilities. You can jump in a car for some of the worst controlled driving I've ever encountered in a game, and there's guns and stuff in multiplayer supposedly but I wouldn't have the balls to ask someone to play this with me to be honest.

It's not bad really, it's just not good. It's really just barely average, and all it does is make me yearn for the average games of the day, because they at least tried, all I could think in my time with this so far is "Man, I would have rather paid twice as much for a port of Stuart Little 2 on the PS1", which is not something you want to be thinking when playing a game that asks 45 bucks.

Speaking of, it's 45 bucks normally. As in "almost the cost of what I pay for a AAA game day one on disc" 45 bucks. For 45 bucks there's countless better games I could recommend. Hell, even at half price, 22.50, there's still a shitload of better games I would say to get (like the beautiful little fucker known as Steamworld Dig 2). 

Aside from being uninspired, to say the least, the game also sports the worst graphics I've seen so far in a Switch game, and indeed in any game I can think of in recent memory. First dodgy looking thing I can think of is Magus for the PS3, and even that looks better than this. The pop in is crazy and even when stuff is loaded in, it still looks like blurry shit. You really wouldn't think such a basic kind of look would be an effort on the Switch, and I don't, I think it's a lazy port that couldn't be bothered optimizing the graphics a bit more. I just played the Max: Curse of Brotherhood demo and that thing looked stellar on the Switch. In the end, I'm glad they brought Unbox over to Switch, because I would have never touched it elsewhere due to there already being so many better games in the category, but really, go buy anything else. Go buy Vroom in the Night Sky and keep the 30 bucks change for all I care.

Again though, I'm not saying it's bad, believe it or not. 3D platformers don't show up anywhere near as much as they did 15 years ago, back then, everyone was doing them and the amount of shitty little average ones was beyond count, this game is shooting to try to live up to those levels. For every Super Mario 64, there's a hundred Monster's Inc's, Muppet Monsters, and Stuart Little 2's. This game can't even really capture the levels of the latter games, they at least have a somewhat memorable characters and settings.

I feel the need to say some nice stuff though, because I genuinely don't mind it, it's just a way over priced lazy port job and that's too easy to rip on, so here's some pros.

- The levels (so far) are at least reasonably big and layered, traversal is fun and there's no such thing as a perfectly flat bland section.

- The design and aesthetic (not visual quality, mind you) are fun, vibrant, and interesting. The idea of being a parcel, going around collecting stamps is unique if nothing else.

- There's a decent level of customizability, in how you can edit your box's outfit and style.

- Over 200 collectibles on each level, most of which are pretty damn easy to find, but that's still a nice number.

- The game runs pretty smooth in my experience, visuals are ugly, but they are smooth. Well, the frame rate is smooth, the visuals are jagged as fuck.

Here's some cons because I totally haven't already said that enough already

- The price is insane, and even at half price, it's more than half the entire catalogue of eShop games.

- Visuals are straight up gross to look at, in portable and TV mode. Pop in gives me depression.

- Story is unimaginative and dull at best, despite the cool sounding concept.

- Most collectibles are staring you dead set in the face all the time, it's like playing "Baby's First Collectathon".

- Levels are fun and all, but when you're on an island completely surrounded by water and you drown super easy, you realize it's not as big as you made it out to be.

- Most definitely will leave you wanting a better game than the one you got.

Look. It's not bad, but it's definitely not good. Had I bought the physical version, I'd honestly probably just return the thing. Get it if you want, skip it if you want, if you're still curious, I'd probably wait for the sale that brings it's price down to a good 75% off, 50% is still too much for what the game offers me. Multiplayer could turn out to be really fun though, but I'll probably never know.

Yooka Laylee at 60 is ridiculous, when it hits the 20 it sells for everywhere else, I'll pick it up. If it came down to 20 for Unbox or 60 for Yooka Laylee, I'd still pick Unbox. So what this all basically boils down to, is I would only choose Unbox over a similar game if said similar game was three times the price and already a year or two old. 

$15 or under, this game is worth it. $20 or more, even just that little bit I paid at $22.50, is more than the game is worth. Buy Steamworld Dig 2 instead, completely different game, but it's a fucking great game if you're into that sort of thing. And it only asked for $30 day one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

$15 or under, this game is worth it. $20 or more, even just that little bit I paid at $22.50, is more than the game is worth. Buy Steamworld Dig 2 instead, completely different game, but it's a fucking great game if you're into that sort of thing. And it only asked for $30 day one.

Thanks for the feedback. I was already leaning towards holding off, and your comments convinced me.

And I agree, SWD2 is great. I bought it day 1, and I was so excited (because I loved the original) that I turned on my phone hotspot at work so I could download it in the morning, so I wouldn't have to waste any time downloading it after I got home from work. It was totally worth full price to me. I understand that game value is relative. There are probably some people that wouldn't pay $60 for Super Mario Odyssey, and that's fine. I got my money's worth out of SWD2 even without going back for the upgrades after beating the story.

YES, VS. SUPER MARIO BROS. IS HERE!

Also, more games on sale. Like L.A. Noire, now 25% off, so the price it should have been from the start. Still, now that I have Skyrim and other games, I can stand waiting a bit more until I have to pay even less for that 30GB download.

@MosesRockefellerdid you play LEGO Worlds, and if so, did you enjoy it?

Edited by Pickle Rick

To whom it may concern (like @MosesRockefeller):

There's a new nonogram game coming to Nintendo Switch, Pic-a-Pix Deluxe. Main difference with Picross S seems to be that Pic-a-Pix works with colors.

It's €8 when it releases two weeks from now, and it already has a demo on the eShop. Going to try it right away, I haven't heard of the devs before.

Edit: okay, just played one puzzle, it's pretty fun. There's 12 Christmas themed puzzles in here, the full game will have 300 puzzles.

Edited by Pickle Rick

1 hour ago, Pickle Rick said:

YES, VS. SUPER MARIO BROS. IS HERE!

Also, more games on sale. Like L.A. Noire, now 25% off, so the price it should have been from the start. Still, now that I have Skyrim and other games, I can stand waiting a bit more until I have to pay even less for that 30GB download.

@MosesRockefellerdid you play LEGO Worlds, and if so, did you enjoy it?

Thanks for the heads up on the sale! There are some great discounts for 3DS and Wii U too in eShop: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/12/more_festive_switch_3ds_and_wii_u_eshop_discounts_hit_europe Planning to pick up Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice.

11 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

Thanks for the heads up on the sale! There are some great discounts for 3DS and Wii U too in eShop: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/12/more_festive_switch_3ds_and_wii_u_eshop_discounts_hit_europe Planning to pick up Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice.

Remember that rumours are that every single Ace Attorney game will be ported to the Switch before the end of 2018.

24 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

Remember that rumours are that every single Ace Attorney game will be ported to the Switch before the end of 2018.

Well... I'd rather play it on 3DS to be honest. I love the dual screen, how it's utilized in Ace Attorney and 3DS is very comfy to play.

16 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

Well... I'd rather play it on 3DS to be honest. I love the dual screen, how it's utilized in Ace Attorney and 3DS is very comfy to play.

Point taken. I hope they manage a good port to a single screen, don't know how the other single screen ports are.

8 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I haven't tried LEGO Worlds yet, sorry. 

You might want to realise then that I asked because Worlds is on sale now on the eShop :)

5 hours ago, Pickle Rick said:

You might want to realise then that I asked because Worlds is on sale now on the eShop :)

Yeah, I know about the sale but thanks for the heads up. I picked it up a while back for PS4, and I have both LEGO Ninjago Movie and LEGO Marvel Avengers 2 for Switch (so I don't need another Switch LEGO game at the moment). 

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Yeah, I know about the sale but thanks for the heads up. I picked it up a while back for PS4, and I have both LEGO Ninjago Movie and LEGO Marvel Avengers 2 for Switch (so I don't need another Switch LEGO game at the moment). 

Worlds is on the PS4 on sale too now :)

So you have it on PS4 already? Would you be willing to try it out for a few minutes, see what you think? LEGO games are often a wild card for me, and your opinion would be one to trust for me.

23 minutes ago, jrdemr said:

My local electronics store was having a minor discount for Christmas and with Bayonetta 2 and 3 looming in the horizon (I'm a huge hack & slash fan)... I made the Switch.

q1NsvGL.jpg

Welcome!

Seeing as you're often ranting at the decline in AAA gaming and about high end graphics being not necessary, I think you'll love the Switch as a machine that's just different than the graphics monsters that PS4/X1/PC are now. It's also a Valhalla of indie games right now, supplemented with a few lovingly crafted AAA first and second party games.

• Like 1

Welcome to the club @jrdemr. Love the pun at the end of your comment ?

BTW, who else here just got the Switch with the grey joycons? I'd love to get the blue and pink version but my OCD needs joycons of the same colour. I can't mix and match ? I also bought The End is Nigh a few days ago. Great platforming game. Extremely challenging but in a fun kind of way. The levels are very well designed. I highly recommend this game for those of you who want a game to play for a few minutes at a time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

Welcome!

Seeing as you're often ranting at the decline in AAA gaming and about high end graphics being not necessary, I think you'll love the Switch as a machine that's just different than the graphics monsters that PS4/X1/PC are now. It's also a Valhalla of indie games right now, supplemented with a few lovingly crafted AAA first and second party games.

Thank you! ?

Yeah, I think I'm going to get a lot of mileage out of the Switch. The hardware is more than powerful enough to handle slightly downgraded versions of PS4/X1 games (as long as games look "good enough", I don't really care) and the fact that I can use it as both a home console and as a handheld is really good for me personally. I don't tend to play more than one game at any given time, so whenever I'm scheduled to go away from home for an extended period of time, I like to try to finish my current game soon and see if I have an unopened handheld game that I can start slightly before I'm scheduled to leave. But with the Switch, no such conundrum! I can play it both on my TV and on the go!

1 minute ago, Gengar said:

Welcome to the club @jrdemr. Love the pun at the end of your comment 1f600.png

BTW, who else here just got the Switch with the grey joycons? I'd love to get the blue and pink version but my OCD needs joycons of the same colour. I can't mix and match 1f602.png I also bought The End is Nigh a few days ago. Great platforming game. Extremely challenging but in a fun kind of way. The levels are very well designed. I highly recommend this game for those of you who want a game to play for a few minutes at a time.

I could have sworn someone else made that pun somewhere, but thanks ?

(And I personally only got the dual-colored joy-cons because it was the only version on sale at my local store ? Though I think I would have gotten these anyway).

19 minutes ago, Gengar said:

Welcome to the club @jrdemr. Love the pun at the end of your comment 1f600.png

BTW, who else here just got the Switch with the grey joycons? I'd love to get the blue and pink version but my OCD needs joycons of the same colour. I can't mix and match 1f602.png I also bought The End is Nigh a few days ago. Great platforming game. Extremely challenging but in a fun kind of way. The levels are very well designed. I highly recommend this game for those of you who want a game to play for a few minutes at a time.

I got the grey one, and then an extra blue/pink controller for players three and four. Didn't know if I would feel comfortable with two different colours on the ends in handheld mode. Turned out to be a good choice as in the end for a bit extra, I got Snipperclips, while I was already willing to buy it at full price.

9 minutes ago, jrdemr said:

Thank you! 1f642.png

Yeah, I think I'm going to get a lot of mileage out of the Switch. The hardware is more than powerful enough to handle slightly downgraded versions of PS4/X1 games (as long as games look "good enough", I don't really care) and the fact that I can use it as both a home console and as a handheld is really good for me personally. I don't tend to play more than one game at any given time, so whenever I'm scheduled to go away from home for an extended period of time, I like to try to finish my current game soon and see if I have an unopened handheld game that I can start slightly before I'm scheduled to leave. But with the Switch, no such conundrum! I can play it both on my TV and on the go!

Exactly why the Switch is now my most played handheld console ever; I can just continue on my home console games.

• Like 1

I went looking for my 3DS the other day and couldn't find it. Looked everywhere it would be, everywhere it wouldn't be, and then in a bunch of other stupid places like the shed outback that literally only has some drawers and a mower in it. Nothing.

I figure I can trade in Mario Kart 7 and all my old DS games and I'll pull a hundred or so if I'm lucky, then I found out Mario was left in the damn console when it went MIA. Sheet.

Anyway, I got a 2DS for 99 with Mario Kart 7 installed out the box, which is cool. Turns out getting your digital stuff onto another console without the first console is next to impossible and I'll have to ring Nintendo tomorrow, on Christmas day, when they'll probably be closed, which sucks ass. Anyway, if, Zeus forbid, any of us lose our Switches, whether we did leave it somewhere dumb and it was stolen or Billie really is hiding it somewhere, and we have to go through this hassle to redownload shit, I feel nothing but sympathy. It's a bullshit process and honestly, I didn't think I'd encounter something worse than needing a credit card on record to download free 360 games, but this takes the cake and runs with it. This some dumb shit and it's almost enough to get me to return the console and be done with the 3DS line completely, I already pretty well am anyways. 

But no, if my Switch dies, or gets stolen/whatever, and I need a new one, I'm gonna be piiiiiiiissed if I have to call up these chumps again. It's 2017, God damn it.

28 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

But no, if my Switch dies, or gets stolen/whatever, and I need a new one, I'm gonna be piiiiiiiissed if I have to call up these chumps again. It's 2017, God damn it.

On a side note, I'd advise everyone to do the following:

• Download the Switch Parental App
  • Go to Settings -> Play Time Limit
  • Activate Suspend Software and activate Set Days Individually
  • Put the play time limit on all days to zero minutes

This way, every time you boot up your Switch, you need to put in the parental control password (which can be found and changed in the settings of the app). So if your Switch gets stolen, at least nobody can enjoy your game library and they can't easily do a factory reset either.

23 hours ago, Pickle Rick said:

Worlds is on the PS4 on sale too now :)

So you have it on PS4 already? Would you be willing to try it out for a few minutes, see what you think? LEGO games are often a wild card for me, and your opinion would be one to trust for me.

I'm not sure where you are considering buying it, and value is subjective of course. But I played it for an hour or two last night, and a few minutes this morning to test out co-op. 

Split-screen co-op is pretty much the same as past LEGO games, but there are potentially more things going on in this game. Performance on the PS4 seemed pretty good. I would imagine that split-screen performance in the Switch version in Handheld mode could be frustratingly low-FPS. But that's just an assumption. 

It is pretty similar to what I have heard about Minecraft (I haven't played it myself). There are two main options as far as I can tell - Adventure Mode and Sandbox Mode. I only tried out Adventure Mode, which so far does a nice job of easing you into the game. I've always preferred a balance between guidance and sandboxes in building/creation games. I'm not a really creative type so I like some guidance. Even if it's fairly basic guidance like in Terraria, I need something. I have found the game pretty charming so far. 

I would say if it's 50% off or more, I'd go for it. The PS4 version is $15 in the USA on the sale, which I'd say is definitely worth it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I'm not sure where you are considering buying it, and value is subjective of course. But I played it for an hour or two last night, and a few minutes this morning to test out co-op. 

Split-screen co-op is pretty much the same as past LEGO games, but there are potentially more things going on in this game. Performance on the PS4 seemed pretty good. I would imagine that split-screen performance in the Switch version in Handheld mode could be frustratingly low-FPS. But that's just an assumption. 

It is pretty similar to what I have heard about Minecraft (I haven't played it myself). There are two main options as far as I can tell - Adventure Mode and Sandbox Mode. I only tried out Adventure Mode, which so far does a nice job of easing you into the game. I've always preferred a balance between guidance and sandboxes in building/creation games. I'm not a really creative type so I like some guidance. Even if it's fairly basic guidance like in Terraria, I need something. I have found the game pretty charming so far. 

I would say if it's 50% off or more, I'd go for it. The PS4 version is $15 in the USA on the sale, which I'd say is definitely worth it. 

Thanks!

I'm considering buying the Switch version. Retail on all platforms here is €40, digital on all is €30. It's on sale on PS4 for €15 and it's on sale for Switch for €19,50 (both digital sales).

Co-op would always be on television I think, never in handheld mode.

I didn't like Minecraft at all, couldn't even get through the demo, but it's also because I hated the ugly graphics.

So it's basically an empty world, where you can build a lot of stuff?

9 hours ago, Pickle Rick said:

I didn't like Minecraft at all, couldn't even get through the demo, but it's also because I hated the ugly graphics.

So it's basically an empty world, where you can build a lot of stuff?

I think the sandbox mode might have empty worlds. So far in adventure mode, the worlds have buildings and people and such. You do little quests on each planet, which is cool. I got a bit of a No Man's Sky exploration vibe from landing on new planets (just scaled down). 

Also, the graphics are on par with previous LEGO games, so it looks pretty nice. 

Had a lot of time to game today. Especially since I'm now only turning my phone on for about an hour a day.

Pic-a-Pix Deluxe demo

Finished the twelve Xmas puzzles from the demo. The images are more fun than those in Picross S and Pic-a-Pix Deluxe has bigger puzzles, but the screen size and the controls make the game less fun to play in co-op. I'll probably buy the full game right on release for myself though.

VS Super Mario Bros.

Played right through it. Really enjoyed it, even if the background music is more monotonous than I remembered. It made me crave more classic Nintendo games though.

Octodad: Deadliest Catch

Tried some more co-op with my wife, and she gave up on it because the controls were too annoying for her. I finished it off myself afterwards, though I had already played through it on the PS4 and Vita. There's still the shorts though.

Putty Pals

Played through the first world now, with the missus. The game looks cheery and bright but certainly isn't too easy, especially if you have to play together with my wife.

So that's two games off of the backlog list with additional work done in other games. I'm making good progress here.

4 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I think the sandbox mode might have empty worlds. So far in adventure mode, the worlds have buildings and people and such. You do little quests on each planet, which is cool. I got a bit of a No Man's Sky exploration vibe from landing on new planets (just scaled down). 

Also, the graphics are on par with previous LEGO games, so it looks pretty nice. 

Yeah I've heard more people compare it to No Man's Sky.

I think I'll let the sale pass for now, and I'll focus on my backlog games together with the two to four PS4 games I'm buying Wednesday in the sale (as in after I find out how much time I think I'll be spending with January's PS+ games).

P.S. @MosesRockefeller since you like Picross S, you may want to give the demo of Pic-a-Pix Deluxe a go to see if you like that one as well. Again €8 for 300 puzzles but these end up bigger and with more colours.

Another good gaming day, this is doing wonders for my backlog :)

Yooka-Laylee

Explored the second world today. Such a fun game, glad I bought it.

Phantom Breaker Battle Grounds

Played through it all today. Fun little beat 'em up game, and a lot cheaper than it would have been on PS4 (if the EU version would have ever appeared, but now that I have the Switch version I don't need it on PS4 any more).

Putty Pals

Played through the rest of the game with the missus. Fun little co-op platformer, but you're supposed to be able to play it solo too.

I hope there will be more co-op platformers, my wife doesn't really want to play along with racers or fighting games.

Retro City Rampage. 

It's the highest amount of dollars I've paid for a single Switch game, I think anyway, at just over 60 including shipping.

It's also the lowest amount of My Nintendo points I've ever got for a game, as the points are based on the digital value of the game.

rcr.jpg

5 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Retro City Rampage. 

It's the highest amount of dollars I've paid for a single Switch game, I think anyway, at just over 60 including shipping.

It's also the lowest amount of My Nintendo points I've ever got for a game, as the points are based on the digital value of the game.

Reveal hidden contents

rcr.jpg

Dang son! It's on sale for $10 on the US eShop right now (normally $15). The physical version here is $30. You must have really wanted a physical copy, eh? I can't see paying twice or more for a physical copy of a game, but then I like digital anyway.

I wanted to mention Never Stop Sneakin here. I grabbed this a week or two ago and it's pretty fun. However, I need to add a caveat to that. The place the game shines the most is the (rare) cutscenes and text dialog. The humor in those parts is pretty great.

Spoiler

25552270_1770077719678165_57702227672099

Anyway, the caveat is, the gameplay is very repetitive. I find that doing a mission or two in short sessions is the best way to keep the game fun. Playing for long sessions would probably get old fast. The gameplay is also pretty basic. You don't really use any buttons. You just move around the map, with attacks and hacking (the two actions you make) happening automatically in the appropriate situations. Right now it's a Switch exclusive, but due to the gameplay being pretty basic, I would be very surprised if it doesn't get ported to phones and tablets in the near future.

For me the main appeal is the humor and the Metal Gear Solid parody. The gameplay is fun in small doses though. I would recommend it with the reservations I mentioned here. For $15, I think it was a good purchase.