Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

3 hours ago, Cubone said:

I definitely recommend it, though I think as a "gateway game" something like Snipperclips would be better.

No doubt you are right, but Death Squared is a game where the majority of the content is fully playable solo. I had the impression from the demo (and you and other gamers) that Snipperclips is really meant to be played in co-op. Even if my wife doesn't like Death Squared, I will get a lot of enjoyment out of it playing by myself.

9 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

No doubt you are right, but Death Squared is a game where the majority of the content is fully playable solo. I had the impression from the demo (and you and other gamers) that Snipperclips is really meant to be played in co-op. Even if my wife doesn't like Death Squared, I will get a lot of enjoyment out of it playing by myself.

Nah the main Death Squared game is completely playable solo, and I did as much. There are four player puzzles though.

3 hours ago, Gengar said:

Just wondering if anybody knows the answer to this, but if I get any SD card, will it work for my Switch or do I need a Switch-specific SD card?

What Micro SD cards to look out for

The Nintendo Switch supports cards up to two terabytes and Nintendo recommends a UHS-I (Ultra High Speed) Micro SD solution for the system. Also abbreviated UHS-1, the cards hit minimum write speeds of 10MB/s. While UHS-3 cards are faster, which write at a minimum of 30MB/s, the speed difference between the two types of cards is negligible when it comes to booting games. From our tests, we noticed a memory bottleneck. This means that, for the Switch, you shouldn’t feel the need to pay the extra premium for more expensive UHS-3 cards, as it will not improve boot times.

Source: GameSpot 

So it seems like just about any SD card you get will work. 

Parker

• Like 1

@Gengar forgot to say so at first but remember to check, once you know what type/brand you want, what size gives you the most GBs for your money. I picked 128GB because it was the cheapest price per GB for the SanDisk Ultra line. If 248 hadn't been much more expensive per GB, I probably would've gotten one of those. If 64GB had been cheaper per GB, I might have gotten one or two of those.

It also kind of depends on what you are planning to download. Zelda and Skyrim are 15GB each, L.A. Noire is 30GB, Mario Kart and Odyssey are 5 each, and a whole lot of indie games are less than 1GB, sometimes much less.

• Like 1

Well, Yooka-Laylee is ready to be picked up by me. €13 used on PS4. With some luck, come the Switch release, I'll be able to tell if it'll be worth it.

Still enjoying Skyrim and Stardew Valley, though my current main focus is Assassin's Creed Origins on PS4. I really hope I can hold on to my promise of buying less stuff until I finish some games already.

@Parker @Cubone Thanks for the info. I'll be picking it up next week. I think I saw a 128GB Sandisk Ultra for ~€120 which I think I will get.

30 minutes ago, Cubone said:

Well, Yooka-Laylee is ready to be picked up by me. €13 used on PS4. With some luck, come the Switch release, I'll be able to tell if it'll be worth it.

Are you implying you will double dip by buying on both the PS4 and the Switch? ?

Bad news about WWE 2K18...a few people on the internet say it is a horrible port with terrible lag and frame drops that make the game unplayable at times. It was annoying that Take Two were releasing Switch games that require a digital download regardless of whether you buy the game physically or digitally. Now, they release WWE in this condition. Granted, WWE games are never great games anyway in terms of gameplay (and don't get me started on the horrible online lag) but this is worrying about the condition some third parties are releasing their games on the Switch.

6 minutes ago, Gengar said:

@Parker @Cubone Thanks for the info. I'll be picking it up next week. I think I saw a 128GB Sandisk Ultra for ~€120 which I think I will get.

I advise you to look more into where you'll get it. I bought one on a Dutch internet store for €50 just before the Switch released; just checked and they still have it for that price. Surely, somewhere for your country must be something cheaper than €120. I could get a 256GB one for €150.

Are you implying you will double dip by buying on both the PS4 and the Switch? 1f44d.png

If it's fun enough. I wanted it for the Switch but they took so damn long it's€15 now new on PS4. So I figured I'd buy it for PS4, play it and sell it again for about the same price (or trade it for a different game), and I'll get it on the Switch digitally if it was fun enough.

Bad news about WWE 2K18...a few people on the internet say it is a horrible port with terrible lag and frame drops that make the game unplayable at times. It was annoying that Take Two were releasing Switch games that require a digital download regardless of whether you buy the game physically or digitally. Now, they release WWE in this condition. Granted, WWE games are never great games anyway in terms of gameplay (and don't get me started on the horrible online lag) but this is worrying about the condition some third parties are releasing their games on the Switch.

That's a shame. So much for Take Two 'refusing to give Switch players a watered down version' of their games, which was the excuse for their huge file sizes. The Switch version of L.A. Noire being 50% bigger than the PS4 version already made me suspect they just didn't know how to code for the Switch.

13 minutes ago, Cubone said:

I advise you to look more into where you'll get it. I bought one on a Dutch internet store for €50 just before the Switch released; just checked and they still have it for that price. Surely, somewhere for your country must be something cheaper than €120. I could get a 256GB one for €150.

Yeah, that seems high.

Maybe they're way cheaper in the USA, but here's what I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010Q57S62/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got it on a sale for $33, but now it's $43. Anyway, this particular model is working great for me.

On the gaming front, I realized I haven't turned on my PS4 for almost a week now. I've been playing a lot of my Vita, but the Switch is getting most of my time. I went back to my Breath of the Wild save - I beat Ganon a while back - and got all the Memories I was missing (yeah, I cheated and used a guide, I love the game but I'm not looking to dive back in for dozens of hours search for them the hard way). I plan to beat Ganon again since I liked the boss fight, and I'm not sure if the ending cutscenes are different if you have all the memories. Anyway, during my travels to get the memories, I did one or two Shrines I hadn't found in my original play sessions, and I enjoyed playing one this morning that was puzzle-based. I hope the next Zelda expands on this, because that was the main highlight of the game for me.

After I put Breath of the Wild away again, I'll go back to LEGO Ninjago Movie and switch back and forth with that and Mario+Rabbids. I'll also try to spend some time each day with some of my digital games. I got stuck on a Picross S puzzle about a week ago, so I "paused" it and went to do the next 5 or 6 puzzles. I finally went back to the puzzle I was stuck on and decided to graph it out in Excel. Then I solved it during a boring conference call at work, took a picture of the filled-in Excel sheet with my phone, and entered the solution in the game once I got home. I think for the harder puzzles, it helps to visualize on paper or on a computer, where you can use alternating colors to indicate "test" solutions and so forth. Mostly I just needed to stare at it for a while until I found the next part where I was stuck though. Anyway, I saved a blank version of my Excel sheet to use as a template if I need it in the future. It's simple enough to type out yourself, but I'm glad to share if anybody wants it.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

Switch has been a hit in Japan, selling 2.5 million units in 9 months. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/12/nintendo_switch_ends_2017_on_a_high_with_2_5_million_units_sold_in_japan_alone

"Speaking of PS4, Sony's console has hit the 5.5 million unit marker in Japan. The system has been available since February 2014, while the Switch doesn't even have a full year under its belt yet."

Next year has a new Pokémon title coming which means the hardware sales may increase by huge amounts.

Any idea about the sales metrics in North America and Europe?

2 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

Switch has been a hit in Japan, selling 2.5 million units in 9 months. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/12/nintendo_switch_ends_2017_on_a_high_with_2_5_million_units_sold_in_japan_alone

"Speaking of PS4, Sony's console has hit the 5.5 million unit marker in Japan. The system has been available since February 2014, while the Switch doesn't even have a full year under its belt yet."

Next year has a new Pokémon title coming which means the hardware sales may increase by huge amounts.

Any idea about the sales metrics in North America and Europe?

I'm not surprised. Nintendo has always done well in Japan AFAIK (at least on the handheld side), and Japan loves its handhelds. It's one of the few places where the Vita is still somewhat successful.

It looks like the Switch has sold at least 2 million in the USA. http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-10-19-nintendo-switch-passes-2m-us-sales

I see your link is from NintendoLife. Obviously the site has a heavy Nintendo bias but it's a great source for Switch (and 3DS) news. I visit it daily now.

Great news for fans clamouring for more horror games on the Switch. Red Barrels are bringing the Outlast franchise to the Nintendo Switch.

https://twitter.com/TheRedBarrels/status/938838477088657408

This means Outlast, Outlast Whistleblower and Outlast 2 will make their way to the Switch in the first quarter of 2018. Presumably, this means they are releasing the Outlast Trinity collection that was released earlier in the year for the PS4.

4 hours ago, Jigglypuff said:

Bayonetta 3 coming exclusively to Switch.

3 hours ago, OobiGod said:

Also Bayo 1 and 2 are getting ported

Logged in to mention this.

I never played any Bayonetta game, not that into the genre and the oversexed design of the main character didn't really persuade me I should play it.

The games are supposed to be very good though. I'm guessing everyone in this thread will tell me to buy the 1-2 ports to decide if I want the third one as you all are definitely getting it?

Surprised to see the first game started on PS3/X360 though. I thought this franchise originated as a Wii exclusive, so my first reaction to B3 was thinking it was going back to its roots.

Probably some people will be very pissed that Nintendo is hogging this franchise now. But on the bright side, it might bring more people to the Switch.

Somehow I never bought Bayonetta 1 or 2 even though there was that nice double pack for Wii U and I was somewhat interested in the game. Might get them (and the third one) on Switch at some point. I try to play a lot but regardless my backlog is growing on all platforms. -_- 

Bayonetta is a series I've always wanted to have a go at, but obviously with its platform jumping has been difficult to get into.

With Bayonetta 1 and 2 coming to Switch next year, preceding the release of Bayonetta 3 also (currently) a Switch exclusive... I guess I have another use for my Switch. :)

10 hours ago, Cubone said:

Logged in to mention this.

I never played any Bayonetta game, not that into the genre and the oversexed design of the main character didn't really persuade me I should play it.

The games are supposed to be very good though. I'm guessing everyone in this thread will tell me to buy the 1-2 ports to decide if I want the third one as you all are definitely getting it?

Surprised to see the first game started on PS3/X360 though. I thought this franchise originated as a Wii exclusive, so my first reaction to B3 was thinking it was going back to its roots.

Probably some people will be very pissed that Nintendo is hogging this franchise now. But on the bright side, it might bring more people to the Switch.

The first game started on PS3/X360, then Bayonetta 2 was released as a Wii U exclusive, because Nintendo paid Platinum to make the sequel. Without Nintendo, the game wouldn't have happened. So it's no surprise to see that relationship continuing. Nintendo's investment didn't really pay off with B2 because the Wii U failed, but here it helps fill out the Switch's release schedule with major games. It's a very smart move by Nintendo.

Anyway, people were pretty pissed off that B2 was a Nintendo exclusive, so now they'll be even more mad about B2 and B3. There are still people expecting B2 to come to PS4 even though Nintendo funded the whole game.

I finished B1 on PS3 about a year ago, and even though I bought the B1/B2 double pack for Wii U, I never got around to playing B2. It's funny, because I was seriously considering jumping in on the Wii U just a few days ago. Now I will sell my Wii U copies, and grab B2 digitally on Switch. I don't need to buy B1 again, although it's a very fun game.

As far as getting into the series: I haven't had much luck getting into games like Devil May Cry in the past, but Bayonetta really hit all the right notes for me. I enjoyed it from start to finish. However, a prospective player of the series definitely has to accept the sexualized design; if you can't get past that then you're not going to enjoy it. Of course for some people that's the main appeal. Personally I'll admit to being weird in this area - I consider myself a feminist but I still enjoy a fair share of these weird sexualized games. Maybe I'm a hypocrite.

Anyway, I am very excited to see the first two games, and a new sequel, come to the Switch. I remember mentioning in the past on this site (probably in this thread) that the Switch needs a solid action game like those from Platinum Games. And soon it will have 3!

31 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

The first game started on PS3/X360, then Bayonetta 2 was released as a Wii U exclusive, because Nintendo paid Platinum to make the sequel. Without Nintendo, the game wouldn't have happened. So it's no surprise to see that relationship continuing. Nintendo's investment didn't really pay off with B2 because the Wii U failed, but here it helps fill out the Switch's release schedule with major games. It's a very smart move by Nintendo.

Yeah I read, I thought before that B1 was Wii exclusive and then B2 went multi platform.

Yeah a lot of good games were wasted on the Wii U's small install base, luckily the Switch seems to be selling much better (I believe they now have more Switch consoles sold than the Wii U sold in its first five full years, or at least that's planned to happen in the next three months). The Switch getting a good release schedule also meens more people will keep picking theirs up and stay playing new games on it.

More games could come from Wii U to the Switch for more people to play. There's not enough games on there for me to want to get a Wii U but there's some stuff I'd like to play if it came to the Switch.

Anyway, people were pretty pissed off that B2 was a Nintendo exclusive, so now they'll be even more mad about B2 and B3. There are still people expecting B2 to come to PS4 even though Nintendo funded the whole game.

Well, if nobody except Nintendo wanted to fund a new Bayonetta then it's their loss. Just like it's Nintendo's loss that they didn't ensure to keep the rights to Rare's good games.

I finished B1 on PS3 about a year ago, and even though I bought the B1/B2 double pack for Wii U, I never got around to playing B2. It's funny, because I was seriously considering jumping in on the Wii U just a few days ago. Now I will sell my Wii U copies, and grab B2 digitally on Switch. I don't need to buy B1 again, although it's a very fun game.

Let's hope for you then that the games will be on the eShop separately instead of a forced combo.

As far as getting into the series: I haven't had much luck getting into games like Devil May Cry in the past, but Bayonetta really hit all the right notes for me. I enjoyed it from start to finish.

Guess I should go watch a gameplay trailer...

However, a prospective player of the series definitely has to accept the sexualized design; if you can't get past that then you're not going to enjoy it. Of course for some people that's the main appeal. Personally I'll admit to being weird in this area - I consider myself a feminist but I still enjoy a fair share of these weird sexualized games. Maybe I'm a hypocrite.

If it's just design, I might get past it, dunno. Last of these that I hated was that bitch from Metal Gear Solid: Phantom Pain, but there was much more wrong there than just the design. Personally I think there's nothing anti-feministic about a pretty woman, if that's not the main and only selling point. There's Jen Kirkman and there's Jenny McCarthy.

Anyway, I am very excited to see the first two games, and a new sequel, come to the Switch. I remember mentioning in the past on this site (probably in this thread) that the Switch needs a solid action game like those from Platinum Games. And soon it will have 3!

Doesn't Skyrim count as an action game? :) Or Shovel Knight!

By the by, I played about half an hour of Yooka-Laylee on PS4 now and I'm very tempted to not finish the game, return it for a refund, and then buy the game day one on the Switch.

1 hour ago, Cubone said:

More games could come from Wii U to the Switch for more people to play. There's not enough games on there for me to want to get a Wii U but there's some stuff I'd like to play if it came to the Switch.

I don't regret buying a Wii U; I got a lot of use out of it for the relatively short time I played it actively. I did go back and finish Wonderful 101 just recently. I'll keep it around for the forseeable future, and hopefully clear out some games on my backlog on a regular basis. But I also understand why people avoided the system. Anyway, you're right that there were a lot of great games on Wii U that would do well porting to Switch. MK8 is obviously the biggest game to make that transition so far, and it was a big hit. A lot of people are expecting Mario Maker and Smash Bros U to get ported at some point. I don't know if that will happen but there are a lot of other games that could be ported. I think Mario 3D World could make sense at some point, once the Odyssey train slows down.

1 hour ago, Cubone said:

Let's hope for you then that the games will be on the eShop separately instead of a forced combo.

It seemed to be confirmed, but even if not, I'll grab the double pack again. Having B2 portable is too awesome to avoid out of principal.

1 hour ago, Cubone said:

If it's just design, I might get past it, dunno. Last of these that I hated was that bitch from Metal Gear Solid: Phantom Pain, but there was much more wrong there than just the design. Personally I think there's nothing anti-feministic about a pretty woman, if that's not the main and only selling point. There's Jen Kirkman and there's Jenny McCarthy.

If Quiet bothered you, I think Bayonetta will also. She has a backstory and all but she is definitely eye candy. The main selling point of the game is the action gameplay, just like the main selling point of Phantom Pain was the MGS gameplay. Also, you'll be seeing Bayonetta the entire game since she's the player character, so it's even more pronounced.

1 hour ago, Cubone said:

Doesn't Skyrim count as an action game? :) Or Shovel Knight!

By action game I meant a game whose defining gameplay element is action. Call it a button-masher if you prefer. Skyrim is primarily a RPG and Shovel Knight is primarily a platformer. As far as I can tell, to date the Switch doesn't have a straight button mashing action game like Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, or other similar games. Soon that genre will be covered.

55 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

By action game I meant a game whose defining gameplay element is action. Call it a button-masher if you prefer. Skyrim is primarily a RPG and Shovel Knight is primarily a platformer. As far as I can tell, to date the Switch doesn't have a straight button mashing action game like Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, or other similar games. Soon that genre will be covered.

Well will Dynasty Warriors count?

Cause a similar game called Nights of Azure is like them.

Also Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate, Spirit of Sanada and Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires is on Switch but only in Japan.

English rel5wase would only be Nights of Azure 2