I'm intimidated

So I completed TLoU for a second time, this time on Hard Mode. It had its moment's of frustration, like when i really needed a med kit and had no supplies to make one. Maybe i made Hard Mode harder on myself since i was saving blades and bindings for shiv doors since i got all the artifacts, doors, comics, convos, etc in that play though. Now i use my listen mode, in some points i never turned it off, In Survivor i cant do that and with me needing med kits as badly as i did at some points on just hard and not being able to cause of supplies being short, I have to admit that I am Intimidated. People have said it's not that bad and some have said its a total nightmare (pittsburgh being the worst part). I would like this to not be one of those games that i leave un-finished but, i need tips and avice

and before anyone asks, no i'm not going for grounded, that's just insane

The simple trick and why it's easy is to use stealth when possible and use bottles and bricks to stun people and run up on them and give them the beatdown. Also, run away when possible. There are some places where you don't have to fight at all.

Lastly, save your smoke bombs for the end and use them for the hospital for a quick getaway. Don't be afraid to use shivs on clickers when needed. They can make those parts a cake walk.

• Like 2

I'll say Survivor is easy :P I got through survivor mostly doing stealth, both on ps3 and ps4. Pittsburgh, Bookstore and the one in the hotel, all can be done stealthy, just don't rush it and wait for right opportunity to strike. Scavange as much as possible, be full on med kits all the time, use shivs only on Clickers. Most of the loot is going to be in the same spot like in previous difficulties, just a lot less. When your close to the next area, if you're low on health, don't use your med kit. After the cutscene it will replenish itself. And i'm guessing you remembered where all infected and enemies spawn, that will make things easier... In Bill's town, let Bill kill most of the enemies, so you can consume ammo...

I think it comes down to two key factors, which also benefit from each other.

First, as @ObliviousSenpai stated above me, learn how and when to use your resources.

Second, the more you have played the game, the better you know the layout and spawnpoints and mechanics of the game.

Use stealth whenever possible and skip all fights, which can be skipped. You might have noticed, that the game auto-saves, whenever all enemies are killed in an area. So if there is an enemy left and you think you have screwed up by using too many bullets and resources, just reload and do it again. This will train you for you next playthroughs and give you more resources to continue your current playthrough.

There are a few fights in the game which are pretty tough, but everything is doable, especially when it's a new game+ with all upgrades.

It is also hugely rewarding if you find good routes yourself, like in the hospital in the end, where you can simply sneak past everybody :)

I have played through the game eight or nine times in total (PS3 and PS4) and - as I've said - the more you play it, the easier it get's, as you are familiar with the layout and spawnpoints of enemies. And don't be afraid to look up some Youtube-videos of areas where you are stuck. I did that for Grounded mode at one of the later Pittsburgh fights, where you have to get through a big gate, which is properly guarded. The guy in the video had a genius way to hide pretty much next to the ladder, where all enemies climb down and he choked them out one after the other. This really helps to minimize the risk of being spotted and shot to death. Just one example :)

• Like 1

Just now, re_panos said:

I haven't done it myself yet, but i'll get around it someday. I have read about an Infinite Shiv Glitch, and also I know about the glitch where you go straight to Survivor +, without finishing Survivor. If they haven't patched the Infinite Shiv glitch, the game will be much easier, since you don't have to worry on wasting them.

You can also directly go to Grounded+ if you like :)

Survivor and Grounded are strategic challenges. You need to think big picture when using resources now that you'll probably need later. How what you're doing right now is going to affect you later in the game. Using stealth over open fighting. The only time you should be fighting openly is when the game forces you to as a scripted event. Running from unnecessary fights like the Bloater in the basement of the hotel in Pittsburgh. By the time you reach Survivor mode, you should've memorized the locations and patrol routes of enemies through multiple playthroughs at lower difficulties; the lack of Listen Mode should be irrelevant by the time you get to Survivor.

15 hours ago, damon8r351 said:

Survivor and Grounded are strategic challenges. You need to think big picture when using resources now that you'll probably need later. How what you're doing right now is going to affect you later in the game. Using stealth over open fighting. The only time you should be fighting openly is when the game forces you to as a scripted event. Running from unnecessary fights like the Bloater in the basement of the hotel in Pittsburgh. By the time you reach Survivor mode, you should've memorized the locations and patrol routes of enemies through multiple playthroughs at lower difficulties; the lack of Listen Mode should be irrelevant by the time you get to Survivor.

out of curiosity, would a 3rd playthough on hard help at all? like say i do hard+ but decide not to use listen so i can try to train myself for survivor?

8 minutes ago, Stargazer2600 said:

out of curiosity, would a 3rd playthough on hard help at all? like say i do hard+ but decide not to use listen so i can try to train myself for survivor?

By the time I hit Survivor, I had six playthroughs of the game of the story already under my belt and already knew what to do to get through the dicier scenarios. The rest was just efficient resource usage. That's why I don't recommend people skip difficulties and depend on run and gun gameplay too much. It's makes the higher difficulties more difficult than they need to be. Yes, repetition will help, if you're doing it right.

Whenever you have an armed companion, run in circles and let them kill your target. Bill's shotgun is a monster. You can instantly kill anyone grabbing a friend with a brick. Look up stealth playthroughs videos on YouTube. I've recently completed grounded+ (after 2 years of doing survivor+ for the plat) and I've never crafted a medkit. If you are struggling, you are definitely doing something wrong. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

Whenever you have an armed companion, run in circles and let them kill your target. Bill's shotgun is a monster. You can instantly kill anyone grabbing a friend with a brick. Look up stealth playthroughs videos on YouTube. I've recently completed grounded+ (after 2 years of doing survivor+ for the plat) and I've never crafted a medkit. If you are struggling, you are definitely doing something wrong. 

I wouldnt say i struggled on hard, If i died then i passed it on the second try. The only struggle i had was the snowstorm. its easy to get lost in that thing and that was where i mainly used my listen mode the most. 

1 minute ago, Stargazer2600 said:

I wouldnt say i struggled on hard, If i died then i passed it on the second try. The only struggle i had was the snowstorm. its easy to get lost in that thing and that was where i mainly used my listen mode the most. 

You mean when you are playing as Joel? I 100% stealth past that, only trouble is the first part guy above the container because his detection is fucked up, but an arrow to the face fixes that... Kinda. Anyway, look for a 100% stealth footage on YouTube, I'm sure your hard time will end quickly 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Stargazer2600 said:

17 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

You mean when you are playing as Joel? I 100% stealth past that, only trouble is the first part guy above the container because his detection is fucked up, but an arrow to the face fixes that... Kinda. Anyway, look for a 100% stealth footage on YouTube, I'm sure your hard time will end quickly 

Agreed. Stealth on survivor helps, on grounded its a must. The game really is cake when you got it down pat. Id recommend to maybe play it again and learn the areas and the systems per say, and then go into survivor with that knowledge. Then that combined with an occasional yt video and such you really shouldnt have any issues!

18 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

no i meant the ellie part but i know what your saying :) I'll totally do that

• 3 weeks later...

@totallycrushed and @TheYuriG

I did it, i don't know how but i did it. I used the infinite Shiv glitch to restock when i could and the Shiv doors were life savers. With the help of a few guides mixed with what I knew, I completed Survivor+ on my third playthrough. Winter was as annoying as I anticipated but in the end, i had more ammo than i thought i would lol

anyways, thanks for the help and support guys

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Stargazer2600 said:

@totallycrushed and @TheYuriG

I did it, i don't know how but i did it. I used the infinite Shiv glitch to restock when i could and the Shiv doors were life savers. With the help of a few guides mixed with what I knew, I completed Survivor+ on my third playthrough. Winter was as annoying as I anticipated but in the end, i had more ammo than i thought i would lol

anyways, thanks for the help and support guys

Now onto Grounded+? 

14 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

Doubt it, it's the same thing but with less ammo. I've recently completed it after years away from the game itself, you can do it. That 100% will look glorious in your list. 

Maybe ill save it for later then, i still got 84 matches of multiplayer to do and grounded will give me a reason to go back to it later on

• 2 weeks later...

Having just completed it myself grounded isn't too bad, if you are having trouble with any section I'd really recommend the PS4Trophies grounded walkthrough videos.

Brian's stuff is very accessible and he gives loads of great paths to go quickly through some of the really nasty levels.