One of the Best Games of Last Generation

I just thought I'd make this post to commemorate this wonderful game. I must say though, I'm really surprised at how little people have posted in this forum. But yes, R&C ACT! This game was one of my firsts on the PS3. I had just moved over from the PS2 and everything from the graphics to the gameplay, story and characters, it all blew me away. I was amazed at just how Insomniac pulled off such a feat in 2009! That is early as hell! Going back for the Platinum just last year was a joy, for even though this game was seven years old it still felt like a current gen game. The same goes for TOD but there's no forum open for that. What're your thoughts on ACT?

• Like 2

I liked ACT a lot, but I wouldn't say it's my favourite R&C or even close, really. It felt rather short and imo had too much action and not enough platforming/puzzles, whereas some other games in the series get the balance right.

That said, the Clank sections in this game were amazing and probably my favourite of the series... except possibly Secret Agent Clank, because that was great too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, madbuk said:

I liked ACT a lot, but I wouldn't say it's my favourite R&C or even close, really. It felt rather short and imo had too much action and not enough platforming/puzzles, whereas some other games in the series get the balance right.

That said, the Clank sections in this game were amazing and probably my favourite of the series... except possibly Secret Agent Clank, because that was great too.

Yeah the Clank puzzles did get aggravating at times, but you say this game is short? It's the exact opposite for me, I found the game to be the biggest in the series. 

1 minute ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

Yeah the Clank puzzles did get aggravating at times, but you say this game is short? It's the exact opposite for me, I found the game to be the biggest in the series. 

It has been a while since I played and I don't really remember much of it, I just remember the credits rolling and being disappointed it was over already. Maybe it is one of the longest but the other ones felt longer even if they weren't.

7 minutes ago, madbuk said:

It has been a while since I played and I don't really remember much of it, I just remember the credits rolling and being disappointed it was over already. Maybe it is one of the longest but the other ones felt longer even if they weren't.

If you consider all the space missions, the arena, and the sheer amount of planets I'd say it's quite long. If you're referring to the story alone that too seemed extensive to me.

14 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Agreed. A Crack in Time is one of my favorite Platinums and favorite games in general. I loved the PS4 reboot but I was a bit sad to not have an Arena to level up my guns in. I'd love to see the Future series ported to PS4, and have trophies for Tools of Destruction and Quest for Booty. 

The puzzles in A Crack in Time were my favorites in the whole series. I thought the time element was really cleverly done, and I always felt like a minor genius when I solved a puzzle. 

Oh you :wub: I've been crying out for R&C Future Trilogy Remastered for ages. Dream. Come. True. Well it would be if it ever happened. xD 

A Crack in Time was also my favourite PS3 Ratchet, though I still haven't finished Tools of Destruction yet. Still though I feel ACiT comes out on top. As for PS2 it's a toss up between 2 and 3. My memories of those two always blurs into one so I can't remember which I prefer. :blink:

2 hours ago, dell9300 said:

Oh you :wub: I've been crying out for R&C Future Trilogy Remastered for ages. Dream. Come. True. Well it would be if it ever happened. xD 

A Crack in Time was also my favourite PS3 Ratchet, though I still haven't finished Tools of Destruction yet. Still though I feel ACiT comes out on top. As for PS2 it's a toss up between 2 and 3. My memories of those two always blurs into one so I can't remember which I prefer. :blink:

Yeah ACT is definitely better than TOD, and yeah it's hard choosing between R&C 2 & 3 :lol:

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I honestly didn't like this game very much. Story was amazing, just gameplay wasn't. My initial impressions were I really was enjoying the game, and the space missions were awesome! But then I realized there was little to no platforming, only one set "path", and most of the collectibles have been moved to the space missions. This basically led to "kill a bunch of enemies" "fun, epic, insane boss fight!" "epic cinematic cutscene!". Meh.

And going back and getting the collectibles sucked on the planets, because most times there was no teleporting pad or easy way to get back to your ship, most times I had to completely back track the entire planet. Ugh!

This doesn't make it a bad game however, just bad in terms of the other Ratchet games. It seems like they tried to shake up a few of the mechanics and it didn't work out that well imo. I really enjoyed the game, just not as a Ratchet and Clank title.

Edited by Whitedragonnw
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

It was certainly the best of the post-PS2 games as it was the last one to actually run at 60fps. The constant story interruptions did my head in on a replay though. Ratchet and Clank was always good about compatmentalising their story and gameplay but the PS3 games were when they started getting all wannabe Pixar with grandiose stories.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/18/2020 at 11:21 PM, LunchCannon54 said:

It was certainly the best of the post-PS2 games as it was the last one to actually run at 60fps. The constant story interruptions did my head in on a replay though. Ratchet and Clank was always good about compatmentalising their story and gameplay but the PS3 games were when they started getting all wannabe Pixar with grandiose stories.

That’s my issue with the Ratchet and Clank reboot. They dumbed down the platforming and made enemies in general much easier. Part of it was basically cinematics, with Dr Nefarious and Chairman Drek both getting overhauls. 

The original Ratchet and Clank, as old and dated as it is now, holds a special place for me. Minimal presentation, minimal story, minimal cutscenes, just the gameplay and that was it. 

• Like 1