Most unsatisfying/disappointing game endings.

Phoenixgaming1

On 13-3-2017 at 1:10 AM, Terra said:

L.A. Noire

For a game I consider to be one of my favorite crime/mystery games, I found the ending to be insulting. Nothing really gets wrapped up and after Cole meets his end, the game just ends with happy generic music. I stared at my television screen for ten whole minutes waiting for an actual ending but none came. 

On 13-3-2017 at 8:15 AM, Phoenixgaming1 said:

I agree with L.A Noire ending never played the other games you mentioned i never finished L.A Noire but saw the ending on youtube and i do agree it was unsatisfying and disappointing.

I disagree, personally I thought it was all very fitting. The whole game, including the post-climax scenes, made me think of L.A. Confidential. Very cool story and even if you don't want to read the book, you should at least have watched the movie.

Also, maybe we should be talking in spoilers in this thread, before someone accidentally sees something they don't want to see. This is a general thread after all and there's no warning as to what titles might pop up.

My personal vote, from recent memory:

Color Guardians

Spoiler

Not only is it completely expected that the baddie is a corrupted former guardian, but once he's back everybody seems to forgive him for his actions after being 'corrupted'. News flash: he was still a power-hungry asshole, and tried to destroy the world! what the hell?

No Man's Sky

Spoiler

Haven't even gone to the center myself but having viewed a clip online, I'm glad I didn't put any work into it. What's worse is that the whole orbs knowledge quest thing (forgot how that was called in-game) would have been much cooler if it had been combined with the journey to the center; the text from the final one seems written as if you should have been at the center.

Assassin's Creed 3

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare

Dark Souls 2

The Order 1886

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Mission 31 Ending)

Undertale (Genocide Ending & True Ending after Genocide Ending) (Although for the right reasons)

On 2017-03-12 at 10:36 PM, Matthew said:

As good as Uncharted 4: A Thief's End is, it has one of the shittest boss fights ever made imo. It really disappointed me as the rest of the game is really well done. Naughty Dog should've spent more time coming up with something better than a QTE fest. Not even the epilogue could redeem itself for me. 

I still think Among Thieves is the best Uncharted game, one of the reasons being the Lazarevic boss fight; it's intense, difficult and it really puts your combat skills to the test. However with the Rafe fight, it just felt like a scripted cutscene and I was just shocked at how everyone at Naughty Dog thought it was a good idea. Hopefully they can come up with something better in The Lost Legacy.

Tbh, Uncharted 1 had a shittier Final Boss fight than Uncharted 4.

3 hours ago, Crzy Minus said:

Assassin's Creed 3

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare

Dark Souls 2

The Order 1886

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Mission 31 Ending)

Undertale (Genocide Ending & True Ending after Genocide Ending) (Although for the right reasons)

Tbh, Uncharted 1 had a shittier Final Boss fight than Uncharted 4.

Played Dark Souls 2 after the First Sin update? the alternate ending was MUCH better.

• 5 months later...

There're a ton of them. But I'll focus on the Final Fantasy titles, because since VII, they have often failed to satisfy. The end of VIII was an absolute trainwreck, but that's better than the end of IX, which I can't even remember (though I recall fighting something called Necron, which was only introduced at the very end). I know that people bitch about Zemus/Zeromus from IV, but at least the follow-up ending with the characters made up for it. I can't for the life of me remember what happened to the characters in IX.

X was disappointing. The Yu Yevon battle was particularly anti-climactic. I had hoped that the addition of Penance in the PAL version would correct some of this, but honestly, that just made it worse. XII was OK, actually. XIII is another I can't even remember, but XIII-2 was God-awful. Lightning Returns? DON'T REMEMBER IT.

Some of those FF titles are great, too (IX and IV are two of my top 3), But those endings were awful.

On 3/29/2017 at 4:34 AM, BillyHorrible said:

Also, maybe we should be talking in spoilers in this thread, before someone accidentally sees something they don't want to see. This is a general thread after all and there's no warning as to what titles might pop up.

Necropost, but if you open a thread about the ENDINGS of games, and then claim shock that something was spoiled, that's on you.

8 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

if you open a thread about the ENDINGS of games, and then claim shock that something was spoiled, that's on you.

So people can only open this thread after they've played every single game they ever want to play because chances are it's mentioned in a general thread? Yeah, that makes sense.

This is not a thread for a specific game, this is a thread for games in general. Putting a spoiler in your post is just basic common courtesy, especially if it's about people dying and/or unexpected plot twists.

3 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

So people can only open this thread after they've played every single game they ever want to play because chances are it's mentioned in a general thread? Yeah, that makes sense.

This is not a thread for a specific game, this is a thread for games in general. Putting a spoiler in your post is just basic common courtesy, especially if it's about people dying and/or unexpected plot twists.

Well, truth isn't determined by democracy, but if it was, sunshine, you would be losing, as you are literally the ONLY person who has put spoilers in your posts (though I freely admit that your manners are much better than mine).

This is a thread about general game ENDINGS. If you're one of those people who gets your panties in a wad over "spoilt" games, don't open a thread about game endings.

And speaking of bad game endings, another one I can think of is The Order: 1886. That game wasn't great, mind you, but it watched well enough as a movie, until the ridiculous conclusion (with the equally ridiculous QTE boss).

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

... but that's better than the end of IX, which I can't even remember (though I recall fighting something called Necron, which was only introduced at the very end). I know that people bitch about Zemus/Zeromus from IV, but at least the follow-up ending with the characters made up for it. I can't for the life of me remember what happened to the characters in IX.

Come on now,

Spoiler

Vivi does a monologue from beyond the grave and you see some Vivi babies, it is so sad.

Edited by hugglebunn-e
Hide Spoiler
  • Like 1

Just now, starcrunch061 said:

Did that really happen? HOLY SMOKES - I REMEMBER NOTHING!

Yup. But, I have to back you up a little. I love FF9, but the Necron bit is tacked on with little explanation. I think Square just needed an Emperor for Kuja's Darth Vader. 

2 hours ago, Muskratateer said:

I'm gonna go with the ending of shadow of Mordor, the last boss fight was just forgettable for a game that I have thrown countless hours into 

That's a good one. I enjoyed much of that game, but the ending was so forgettable that I had to look it up to remind myself what happened (which was pretty much nothing).

Despite it being one of my all time favourite games, I'm going to have to say The Last of Us. The ending isn't unsatisfying nor disappointing, but it is frustrating.

I just wanted to grab Joel by the shoulders and shake him. How could you lie to Ellie's little face? It was obvious that she didn't believe the lie, and Neil Druckmann even supported that assumption by saying she didn't.

"Then we come to that ending and that lie and that okay and what does that okay mean? It’s definitely not a complacent ‘yea I’ll go along with you’, in fact, it’s the opposite. It’s Ellie waking up for the first time, waking up and realizing she can’t rely on him anymore." I really hope we get to see this in action in the second game, I love that the trailer for The Last of Us II is vague, giving the audience room to interpret it in their own way. I think it's going to surprise a lot of people and I'm equal parts scared and excited for it.

Oh Gee, where to begin.

Assassin Creed 3

Ubisoft: Look its pretty obvious that this was going to be the series finally, but we changed our mind, killed Desmond, gave the middle finger to Connor, and milked the franchise even more ever since.

RAGE

What's a ending?

Half-life 2 Episode 2

This one wouldn't be so bad, if it didn't ended with a cliff hanger, that will never be concluded.

Life is Strange

You can either kill your best friend that the game's been building up in the 5 episodes, and making everything that has happen pretty pointless. Or destroy an entire town by a tornado, killing everyone else and live the rest of your life as an lesbian.

Gee I wonder whats the right ending?

The Order 1886

Devs: Don't worry guys, this game is going to be great. Game of the year right here and start of a franchise. We can do the same thing with Halo 2 and ending with a cliffhanger as an obvious sequel bait.

Mass Effect 3

This is it, finally after hours of game play and important decision making and a trilogy completed, the fate of the universe is in my hands and..............................................................................................................

Why does this ending reminds me of the ending of The Matrix Reloaded.

Related image
Edited by Pershing24