Caligula, thoughts?

Kishnabe

50 minutes ago, Phil said:

I think the completion rate is what it is atm is because it only has 3 owners and they have barely done much more than boot it up. The trophy list itself looks very easy and straightforward. 

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/5027-caligula-カリギュラ

1500 users but 4.95...Very Rare Completion.

32 minutes ago, Sigma999 said:

This games looks like it runs at 5-10 FPS al the time from what i saw on trailers and gameplays videos . Is it really running like that ?

That framerate issue could be a total killer imao 1f629.png

Yeah, heard it slows down to 15fps. Not sure if it is stable. They people who worked on Sword Art Online games are behind it. Can see the similarities. 

Atlus is not marketing this one as aggressively as Mask of Deception. They expecting average scores like Conception 2. 

1 hour ago, Kishnabe said:

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/5027-caligula-カリギュラ

1500 users but 4.95...Very Rare Completion.

Yeah, heard it slows down to 15fps. Not sure if it is stable. They people who worked on Sword Art Online games are behind it. Can see the similarities. 

Atlus is not marketing this one as aggressively as Mask of Deception. They expecting average scores like Conception 2. 

It's looks unstable to me . Conception 2 was boring and half-assed imao , i played on 3DS around 10 hours , not really into getting back to it .

1 hour ago, Sigma999 said:

Conception 2 was boring and half-assed imao

It's actually fun =D 

Until you get to battle system :/ 

That game would work much better as a VN...

Welp, anyway... my only though is 'At least it has proper voices'. 

I'm definitely waiting for sale like with Ray Gigant. Until it drops to 10€, I'm not getting it.

Digital-only should not be supported by any means.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

It's actually fun =D 

Until you get to battle system :/ 

That game would work much better as a VN...

I'm definitely waiting for sale like with Ray Gigant. Until it drops to 10€, I'm not getting it.

How bad is the battle system? :/

9 hours ago, Terra said:

How bad is the battle system? :/

It's not 'bad' per se, it's actually pretty good since you can combine Star Children to create many possible combinations but dungeon crawling is repetitive and boring.

The dungeons are randomly generated but with fixed number of floors. 

And the dungeons are hella long :/ 

I don't know if Caligula is going to have same dungeon style, though.

4 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

It's not 'bad' per se, it's actually pretty good since you can combine Star Children to create many possible combinations but dungeon crawling is repetitive and boring.

The dungeons are randomly generated but with fixed number of floors. 

And the dungeons are hella long :/ 

I don't know if Caligula is going to have same dungeon style, though.

I see. I have this on my backlog but maybe I'll hold off on it until I clear through Persona 4

Trophies don't look too difficult, just more of a grind. I'm pretty interested in this game but I doubt I'll buy it for full-price since it's digital only and I want to hear other people's opinions on this one before I decide to buy it.

Edited by Lucas

43 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Trophies don't look too difficult, just more of a grind. I'm pretty interested in this game but I doubt I'll buy it for full-price since it's digital only and I want to hear other people's opinions on this one before I decide to buy it.

Same here I'll wait for a sale

I always do with digital games

• Like 2

Personally, the story is interesting, but the combat is pretty bad. Some people seem to like it, but I think it takes way too long. As for the trophies, I don't think it's going to be a hard platinum, but I would guess it's a long and or tedious journey. Think Lily ranks in Neptunia. 

On 4/30/2017 at 4:35 PM, Satoshi Ookami said:

Damn :/ I just had the game recommended to me but I couldn't find a physical copy. I don't really like buying digital vita games because of the stupid account lock. I guess I'll be waiting for a sale too.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2017 at 1:35 PM, Satoshi Ookami said:

My thoughts exactly. I do not like when companies, especially as large as Atlus, decide to release digital-only. I may pick this up on a super sale, I will never pay full price for a digital game.

The framerate seems to be the biggest complaint that I hear. I do not think it was ever fixed in the Japanese release, so I don't see it getting fixed in the western release. Disappointing. 

Well given Europe was delayed and now released 12 or so hours later I might still buy this but not sure when I will start it.
besides the story was written by Tadashi Satomi, so the story should be good the battle style maybe not as much.

EDIT: I brought it

Edited by fisty123

I'm one of the people who bought this because it's written by Satomi and all that jazz... and I must say that I'd probably like this game alot more if I played it before Persona 5. 

The story is ok good, there's alot of Persona and Jung in it. The character episodes is where it really shines. The OST is nice, I do get some Touhou and Vocaloid vibes out of it. It can get a bit annoying after a few hours inside the same dungeon tho :P

Battle system is kind of a love it or leave thing, at first it might be tiresome and confusing, but you'll get the hold of it eventually. I personally grew to like it alot over the course of the game and even more during the post game when you get to fight some tricky enemies. The thing is... the framerate sucks. Really, it's terrible. Sometimes when you're in a full party against 4+ enemies the game runs at 15~20FPS or less. At times it runs at a very low framerate even outside of battle. Overall this is the most serious problem with Caligula and it's REALLY a shame because the game could have been great. Like this, it's just... okay, I guess. Don't expect it to get fixed anytime soon (if ever) either since this hasn't been fixed in the JPN version since the release. 

Trophywise, the list is not as easy as it seems. I'm working towards the plat with 70% atm and I think I get it now why the completation rate for the JPN list is quite low. Aside from the long grinding proccess to lvl100, there is also all the class mystery quests trophies and those are something else entirely. It might be a bit easier if you actually know what you're doing from the start (which I didn't because there's no info and the japanese material is a bit confusing), but it's still alot of work. 

Edited by PrinnyBomb
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, PrinnyBomb said:

*Snip*

Trophywise, the list is not as easy as it seems. I'm working towards the plat with 70% atm and I think I get it now why the completation rate for the JPN list is quite low. Aside from the long grinding proccess to lvl100, there is also all the class mystery quests trophies and those are something else entirely. It might be a bit easier if you actually know what you're doing from the start (which I didn't because there's no info and the japanese material is a bit confusing), but it's still alot of work. 

I brought it for similar reasons and why not support the Vita love.
My main reason for holding off playing it for now is to see if there are any missable trophies, I have yet to take a look at the Japanese sites for information on the trophies.

No need to worry about missable trophies. The progress on the character episodes do reset when you start a new playthrough, but you can just do all of them before the final boss fight if you wish. You can also do the class quests before that, although I recommend doing it while on post-game since you'll have to level up alot to clear some of them anyway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shiny12 said:

So how hard are the trophies related to the classes' mysteries ? Are they RNG-based? 

It's more like a hard-time investing process.

You'll have to find and rank up alot of students in order to unlock all the 21 necessary key students to do their class trophies. The quests are usually about going to an specific location, talking to someone, dropping an item (although there isn't much RNG in this game, most of the drops are fixed to certain enemies), killing an enemy... some of those fights are actually very hard if you are under level or don't have good gear. There are also a few quests that require you to match students who have certain "traits" that will be unlocked as you clear their respective quests. Everything pretty much interconnects and gets easier as you progress, but it's a slow beginning.

Edited by PrinnyBomb
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, PrinnyBomb said:

It's more like a hard-time investing process.

You'll have to find and rank up alot of students in order to unlock all the 21 necessary key students to do their class trophies. The quests are usually about going to an specific location, talking to someone, dropping an item (although there isn't much RNG in this game, most of the drops are fixed to certain enemies), killing an enemy... some of those fights are actually very hard if you are under level or don't have good gear. There are also a few quests that require you to match students who have certain "traits" that will be unlocked as you clear their respective quests. Everything pretty much interconnects and gets easier as you progress, but it's a slow beginning.

As i can see you miss only the trophy of lv 100, congrats. Have you followed a guide for solving the mysteries of every class? And  character episode too?

Can i get all these trophies before the final boss or even in post games? I want to know if there are permanent missable.

Edited by Lo_Strigo

On 5/12/2017 at 1:14 AM, Lo_Strigo said:

As i can see you miss only the trophy of lv 100, congrats. Have you followed a guide for solving the mysteries of every class? And  character episode too?

Can i get all these trophies before the final boss or even in post games? I want to know if there are permanent missable.

Ty :). No, I couldn't find any guide when I started, I don't think there were any since the game has just been released... I pretty much just translated the japanese wiki and another blog that had some content about the game.

Yes, you can do all the trophies before the final boss. When you finish the game it will ask if you want to create a clear save data. If you load this file, you can either start a new playthrough or start the post-game. If you start the post-game it sends you back in time right before you beat the final boss, so you can just keep going from there if you want. 

Oh I did write down what I could about everything in the game while I was playing in case it could be of any use to someone else, you can find the link to my blog on my profile if you want (I'm kinda new to the forums so I have no idea how to create link, sorry lol).

Edited by PrinnyBomb
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, PrinnyBomb said:

Ty :). No, I couldn't find any guide when I started, I don't thing there were any since the game has just been released... I pretty much just translated the japanese wiki and another blog that had some content about the game.

Yes, you can do all the trophies before the final boss. When you finish the game it will ask if you want to create a clear save data. If you load this file, you can either start a new playthrough or start the post-game. If you start the post-game it sends you back in time right before you beat the final boss, so you can just keep going from there if you want. 

Oh I did write down what I could about everything in the game while I was playing in case it could be of any use to someone else, you can find the link to my blog on my profile if you want (I'm kinda new to the forums so I have no idea how to create link, sorry lol).

Thank you very much, the hint in your blog are very helpful, for now i think i'm going to the end of main story and then, in the postgame i'll go for the rest of the trophies ;)

by any chance , what's the racommended lv for taking down the final boss?

Edited by Lo_Strigo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lo_Strigo said:

Thank you very much, the hint in your blog are very helpful, for now i think i'm going to the end of main story and then, in the postgame i'll go for the rest of the trophies ;)

by any chance , what's the racommended lv for taking down the final boss?

28~30 I guess, you'll probably be around that level when you get there naturally :)

• Like 2