I realised I need to stop buying games, anyone else?

tpepper1985

For the most part I'm trying to stick to only paying $20 for a game or less the best I can. Maybe $30'for a newer game I really want. Of the last 3 games I bought full price two I haven't played at all and one I've only played a little. So yeah I need to mostly only buy games on sale.

On 2017-6-2 at 7:15 PM, Spaz said:

This is a trophy hunting website. Obviously people like me enjoy going after trophies. 

I merely said I am pointing the blame. I'm not saying everyone should accept my view.

I like to "waste" time earning trophies? Yeah, I'm sure there are far worse things I could be wasting my time on. 

Nice post there buddy. I guess I shouldn't waste my time and instead go outside and exercise, which I do in my spare time to stay in shape.

Wow, the point flew right by you. Continue gaming differently from how you did a few years ago and blame the developers for it. :)

• 3 months later...

Just an update to this thread for those interested in knowing how it has been going. I have purchased one game since I made this thread (Persona 4 Dancing All Night) for VITA and finished it already. Apart from that I have only added games from PS+ to my backlog that I think are worth playing.

My original stats were as of May 2017:

Vita: 42 ... That's: 1,360 Hours to 100% the games.

PS3: 76 ... That's : 2,720 Hours to 100% the games.

PS4: 85 ... That's : 3,330 Hours to 100% the games.

Total: 7,410 Hours! 

As of September 2017

Vita: 44 ... That's: 1,200 Hours to 100% the games - I finished some larger games so the hour count has come down.

PS3: 79 ... That's : 2,800 Hours to 100% the games - Working on Mass Effect Trilogy but it wasn't enough PS+ has given me more games and hours then I have played.

PS4: 70 ... That's : 2,920 Hours to 100% the games - PS4 is my main platform so here I made the most impact.

Total: 6,920 Hours! 

It's clear to me now that PS+ will stop me ever making a meaningful impact on my backlog ... I have managed to make a small dent in it but even though I have almost completely stopped buying new games I have more PS3 & Vita games than when I started this thread. The only platform I made any real progress on was PS4 and to be real I also removed around 10 games from my backlog accross all the platforms which were PS+ games I no longer saw myself playing.

I did finish some larger games so the total hours has at least come down a bit. Too many games ?

2 minutes ago, one_more_name said:

Ps via games grab the games pre-owned if I want them buy them as I see,     the best way.    As I dont trust the memory cards (so no I dont buy ps+ vita on the store)

Heh my entire Vita library is digital I don't have a single physical game on PS4 or Vita actually ... and only 4 on PS3 (Fallout 3/New Vegas/Dark Souls and FF13) since those are not available digitally.

I think a big part of the problems is not only that you guys buy many videogames, but i think you feel like you must complete them all to get all the trophies, it's good to be a completionist but if you already started again and you don't like it or don't feel like getting the plat or the 100% maybe you should just hidde those trophies and move on, I believe that in one point people forget about enjoy the games because they only think on getting more trophies/ahcivements

• Like 3

Eh, my two cents.

1. If my backlog is full of PS+ games, I'm fine with that. There are a bunch of them that I couldn't care less about, but as long as I'm playing enough to justify the subscription, I'm fine with that.
  2. If my backlog has games that I actually purchased, but never played (and I mean NEVER played), that's unacceptable to me. Currently, there are two such games on my backlog (Fallen Skies on the PS3, which I bought for $.99, and Psychonauts on the PS4, which I bought for I HAVE NO IDEA WHY I BOUGHT A STUPID TIM SCHAEFER GAME).
  3. If my backlog has games that I actually purchased, played and put away, that's fine with me. Depending on how long I played, it gnaws at me, but it is a rare occurrence that I quit a game that I like. I have a lot of those - mostly games I took a flier on that ended up failing to get my attention. The most recent one is probably The Escapists, which just wasn't as fun as I hoped it would be.

Also, trophies have nothing to do with this. While I might go back to a game to finish a plat later, I don't consider a game I've played completely, but failed to plat, to be on my "backlog".

Just now, Uchiha_Snake__ said:

I think a big part of the problems is not only that you guys buy many videogames, but i think you feel like you must complete them all to get all the trophies, it's good to be a completionist but if you already started again and you don't like it or don't feel like getting the plat or the 100% maybe you should just hidde those trophies and move on, I believe that in one point people forget about enjoy the games because they only think on getting more trophies/ahcivements

Just ninja'ed my final thought.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Eh, my two cents.

1. If my backlog is full of PS+ games, I'm fine with that. There are a bunch of them that I couldn't care less about, but as long as I'm playing enough to justify the subscription, I'm fine with that.
  2. If my backlog has games that I actually purchased, but never played (and I mean NEVER played), that's unacceptable to me. Currently, there are two such games on my backlog (Fallen Skies on the PS3, which I bought for $.99, and Psychonauts on the PS4, which I bought for I HAVE NO IDEA WHY I BOUGHT A STUPID TIM SCHAEFER GAME).
  3. If my backlog has games that I actually purchased, played and put away, that's fine with me. Depending on how long I played, it gnaws at me, but it is a rare occurrence that I quit a game that I like. I have a lot of those - mostly games I took a flier on that ended up failing to get my attention. The most recent one is probably The Escapists, which just wasn't as fun as I hoped it would be.

Also, trophies have nothing to do with this. While I might go back to a game to finish a plat later, I don't consider a game I've played completely, but failed to plat, to be on my "backlog".

1. I already got those out of my list, total of 108 games from PS+ I have no intention of ever playing

2. This total is currently at 104 for me ... Also unacceptable to me thus the thread haha. I salute you sir for keeping your own list in check.

3. I have 22 games that I have started and not finished in my list ... These are included in my backlog. At some point I should just bite the bullet and go through that list and work out if I am ever going to go back to them or not

10 minutes ago, Uchiha_Snake__ said:

I don't aim to finish everything as you can see by my 83% completion but If it's within my skill and can be done without adding loads of extra hours I will go for it. I don't like repeating the same content over and over but sometimes I want it in my collection because I enjoyed the game so much. I don't generally buy games I don't like ... I usually know via reviews and videos if it's for me but sometimes they just don't click.

My first PS4 game, Killzone Shadow Fall I got one trophy for and never played again, it just didn't click for me. I also can't be bothered with GTAV because of the amount of time needed in GTA Online which I don't really find that fun. I think we all have our limits when it comes to enjoyment vs hunting for trophies.

Well i cant even count what i have or at least had in my whole life, well i started with Atari 2600, i still have it with many "tapes", Sega Mega drive ( Genesis ) and then PS nation from 1,2,3,4, Psp and Vita... I have no idea how am i able to get everything on 100 percent, yet i try, do i regret it? As one that has no wife or kids, not at all, i think that until that point when it will clash with your social life or get in the way for a family you have, its about having fun, if you have fun that is completely ok...

If i count playstation games i bought on my own, the list of unplayed games is rather short. If i count games from ps+ in, it's skyrocketing.... I have an excel sheet to keep a record which games i have in my mostly digital collection.

I tend to buy games which i can finish rather quick for trophies within 20 hours. And i start them mostly right away or within half a year :D

8 hours ago, tpepper1985 said:

I don't aim to finish everything as you can see by my 83% completion but If it's within my skill and can be done without adding loads of extra hours I will go for it. I don't like repeating the same content over and over but sometimes I want it in my collection because I enjoyed the game so much. I don't generally buy games I don't like ... I usually know via reviews and videos if it's for me but sometimes they just don't click.

My first PS4 game, Killzone Shadow Fall I got one trophy for and never played again, it just didn't click for me. I also can't be bothered with GTAV because of the amount of time needed in GTA Online which I don't really find that fun. I think we all have our limits when it comes to enjoyment vs hunting for trophies.

I'm in the same boat. I finally hit 90 percent completion the other day which I'm very proud of achieving as that can be a challenge when you have a lot of games.

I wholeheartedly intend to finish Witcher 3, Fallout 4 and other games but the time factor is a problem since they both require A LOT of dedication to fully 100 percent.

On the other hand I'm basically done with GTA Online. I played it on the PS3 years ago and didn't find it that enjoyable, I actually felt Red Dead Redemption was more enjoyable because of the setting and the game types. Plus I was stupid enough to put BOTH versions of GTA V on my list and since Rockstar no longer accepts character transfers, that means I would have to play online all over again on the PS4, and I'm sure as hell not going to go through that torture, especially if I want to boost the heist trophies.

I have around 100 games on my backlog which I hope to reduce down to 50 or so. I still have games I bought back in 2014 - 2015 I haven't gotten around to yet like Dark Souls for the PS3, and Metro 2033 and Last Light for the PS4. Then there are games I abandoned like Demon Souls, which I intent to get the platinum for, though it won't be easy.