I realised I need to stop buying games, anyone else?

tpepper1985

14 minutes ago, ars said:

Ooh that's gonna be the most original pun ever, can't wait!

Yeah, me neither. I don't know when it will happen, but once it happens, it's going to be amazing.

5 minutes ago, Bubblyfishes said:

i got like, 20-30 games i've bought on my backlog but my wake up call is already coming, i need to finish games before i buy new ones. those sales are just so tempting haha, i never buy a game when it's just released

I do both - there are games I need to get on release and there are games that can easily wait a few years. Usually for the new games, I try to buy one and then trade it on for a different new game I wanted.

19 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I do both - there are games I need to get on release and there are games that can easily wait a few years. Usually for the new games, I try to buy one and then trade it on for a different new game I wanted.

i hear ya, i really wanted to get persona 5 on release but i'm just not used to spending 60-70 bucks on a game anymore. can you give some examples of games you absolutely need day 1?

28 minutes ago, Bubblyfishes said:

i hear ya, i really wanted to get persona 5 on release but i'm just not used to spending 60-70 bucks on a game anymore. can you give some examples of games you absolutely need day 1?

The are reasons to buy a game on day 1 but the last game I got on day one was Witcher 3 and I regret it. Why? Because they patched the hell out of it, It's now in a better state now than it was at release. If I had waited I would have got a better game, for less money this is the same with pretty much all releases these days. However the main reason I went for it was because I'm a huge fan of the series (Played 1/2 on PC) and the Studio.

Reasons to still buy day 1 

- Support the Dev / Publisher, they get more money

- To be part of the conversation, while the game is relevant, also helps to avoid spoilers

- Multiplayer, and games which can't function without an active player base, this can be a problem with small multiplayer titles

Reasons to wait

- Patches, usually fix bugs, performance problems, balance, and sometimes even add content: Example FFXV, I didn't buy it yet I'll get it when they are done because they are still not finished with patching the game

- After the game has been out for 6 months it's easier to see if there are game breaking bugs or glitches in the game, and if there is a way to avoid them 

- Some games get microtransactions added AFTER the launch window. Example: Call of Duty Mordern Warfare Remastered

- Games with season pass/game bundle most of the time you have no idea what is in the season pass or if it will be any good. I quite often wait until all the season pass content is released then can decide which version of the game to buy. Example: Batman Arkham Knight, anyone remember that 50 euro season pass? Basically just some skins and a few 2 hour missions / challanges right? I picked up the game + season pass a few months ago for 18 euros or something ...

- Reviews will be widespread so you can get more opinions on the game before buying it

Price goes down, this is the obvious one!

For me it's a no brainer to wait. There are so many good reasons not to buy on launch these days ... Before the age of patching I got alot of games on release but these days it feels like you get punished for being a day 1 buyer. You often get a product that is more buggy, more expensive, and less complete than if you wait 6-12 months. This happens so often these days it feels like day 1 buyers are more like the last round of QA testing

Edited by tpepper1985
  • Like 1

On 2017-5-22 at 10:27 PM, Spaz said:

I point the blame on game developers.

So you're blaming developers because YOU like to waste time earning trophies? LOL

EDIT: it's not the developers that have changed, it's you who enjoys spending more time with a single game now that trophies exist. You're the one that changed.

Edited by Raitandrul
  • Like 2

I hit that point a really long time ago. I collect older consoles and games too, so I ended up with a nightmare of storage bins for my games because I ran out of shelf space. Years of picking up cheap games at flea markets and record exchanges really caught up with me. The only reason I stopped was because prices started skyrocketing when retro games got popular again and everyone wanted older Nintendo stuff. 

My current gen list is getting bad now too. I almost always buy games a long time after release just so I can get them cheap, but boy do the games pile up after awhile. I just had to get a new storage bin for my PS4 stuff yesterday, and pretty much everything that went in it was unplayed.

All I have for an estimate of how many games I own is a catalogue I made a few years ago that ended up being more than 2,000 unique games. I'm actually kind of worried to find out what it's up to right now. Just don't do what I did, you'll end up in a backlog rut the depth of the mariana trench. 

4 minutes ago, ImplyingYouCare said:

I hit that point a really long time ago. I collect older consoles and games too, so I ended up with a nightmare of storage bins for my games because I ran out of shelf space. Years of picking up cheap games at flea markets and record exchanges really caught up with me. The only reason I stopped was because prices started skyrocketing when retro games got popular again and everyone wanted older Nintendo stuff. 

My current gen list is getting bad now too. I almost always buy games a long time after release just so I can get them cheap, but boy do the games pile up after awhile. I just had to get a new storage bin for my PS4 stuff yesterday, and pretty much everything that went in it was unplayed.

All I have for an estimate of how many games I own is a catalogue I made a few years ago that ended up being more than 2,000 unique games. I'm actually kind of worried to find out what it's up to right now. Just don't do what I did, you'll end up in a backlog rut the depth of the mariana trench. 

My last purchase was on 01/04/2017. I'm clean for two months \o/ 

I'm seriously going to try and make it to November / December without buying anything this year. We'll see what happens haha! The worrying thing is it feels like I have not purchased anything in ages ... two months is not really that long.

Edited by tpepper1985

Decided to check the games I actually own and see how long it'll take to 100% them. I ignored games that I've made significant progress in already.

For the 48 games, it'll take on average ~3800 hours, averaging about 79 hours per game. If I were to exclude the few games that are sub-20 hours, it bumps up to ~93 hours/game. In fact, my top four longest games (which are all of the 200+ ones) make up a third of my expected time.

As for my buying habits, I've definitely slowed down in the past year since I know I'll be able to get them cheaper when I'll actually get around to playing them. Turns out liking longer games helps keep the active backlog smaller games-wise.

Honestly, I'd hate to calculate how long it'll actually take to 100% every game I do want to play.

I usually try to play everything I own (and plan on ever playing) before going on to buy the next thing. Of course, I get side tracked as well. Just yesterday, out of nowhere, I saw Wolfenstein PS4 on sale for just 4 Euros and though I hadn't planned on playing it before, now I definitely will after completing the two games I'm busy with now (Late Shift & Kingdom Hearts 2). 

My backlog consists mostly of PS+ games I'll never play (Grow Home, Lords of the Fallen, Apotheon) and games that were in a collection, of which I only wanted to play other games (FFX-2, the non-numbered Kingdom Hearts games, Bioshock 1 as I already played it on PC) and some small games that I bought impulsively but never actually feel like playing (White Night).

While my problem lays not with buying something and then not having time to play it, it's rather that there are so many games out there that I want to play, but I know I don't have time for them all, so I buy them one by one  so that I'll never have more than I can chew off. But that leaves many games that interest me (like The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy Type-0, Berserk Musou, Prey) yet unpurchased and growing ever more likely that I'll never buy them, sadly. 

That said, a backlog of 100+ games sounds crazy to me, that must be like at least $1000 that's just gone!

2 minutes ago, QuentinCle95 said:

That said, a backlog of 100+ games sounds crazy to me, that must be like at least $1000 that's just gone!

I actually went through my transaction history I only buy digital so I at least have a complete record of my transactions

For 2016 I spent 1100 Euros ?

So far for 2017 I'm at 110 Euros and we are already in June so I'm doing much better at getting this under control!

• Like 1

On 5/18/2017 at 4:07 AM, tpepper1985 said:

Wondering if anyone else is in the same bucket.

I had a wake up call, what the fuck am I doing, why do I keep buying stuff. I have not purchased a single game since this revelation which was in February... I want to play Horizon, Nioh, The Surge, Nier, Persona 5, XCOM2 ... I have a wish list 53 games long on the PSN store mostly of stuff that came out late last year / this year. At some point you realize you have become a victim to the marketing machine.

Has anyone else gone through this? Does anyone else dare to post thier own stats?

Same boat as you in a different way. After being short of money for food two months in a road, I realized that if you are going to buy a AAA title, you'd damn well accept that you are going to keep it for life! GameStop doesn't really give a great trade-in for credit system. Another reason I also renewed my GameFly subscription. It's a monthly fee, but I'd rather pay $15 to rent games. They deliver the game to me, I get the platinum for it, and then I ship it back to them. I too realized that it'd be better to take advantage of PSN sales for digital downloads.

I have some advice for you: If you aren't sure whether you like a game, rent it from GameFly first. If you hate it, you can send it back. That way you won't feel guilty for spending $60 for a game you are going to return anyways. Nowadays my Gamestop purchases are reserved for PSN game cards, MMO game cards and The Sims 4 expansion packs. ^_^

1 hour ago, Bubblyfishes said:

For me, there's two main reasons to absolutely want a game right away.

• It's a game in a series or from a developer that I really want to play. L.A. Noire, Super Mario Odyssey, Super Star Wars, the new Red Dead Redemption... My main reason for buying a PS4 within its first year of release was because Assassin's Creed went new gen only with Unity and I wanted to continue getting the games day one.
  • Additionally, it helps if there's a collector's edition with physical extra's that I want. I can especially be persuaded by a good art book or statuette. I got Just Cause 3 day one because I thought it would be an awesome game (I was right) and because the collector's edition came with two of the three items I voted for in their poll.

Example of a game I have currently pre-ordered with both reasons - South Park: The Fractured But Whole. I loved the first game, I'm relatively sure I'll love the new game more, I still love the television series and I want that The Coon statuette! Already bought the Mysterion statuette to go with it, hoping they'll make a big Dr Chaos statuette as well.

It's not just those two reasons though. With Day Of The Tentacle, I absolutely wanted it since it's my favourite point and click ever. I was pretty sure it would show up on PS+ eventually but I did not feel like waiting. This year with Full Throttle, I never played that one and was pretty sure I could handle waiting until the inevitable PS+ entry but I felt like supporting this dev, Double Fine who keeps remastering these old point and click gems.

Recently though, I find myself with enough money and foresight to plan ahead, and it can become a matter of "I felt like it". Did I need to buy Mario Kart 8 Deluxe day one, digitally? Absolutely not. I did feel like it though, I hadn't done a proper couch multiplayer day in years and I couldn't wait to invite people over again. Did I have to buy Fast RMX right away? Nope, but someone's out there making a spiritual successor to F-Zero and I want to support that. "Why not" is pretty much why I bought a Switch day one - probably could have waited until Super Mario Odyssey was released (I'm actually not a huge Zelda fan, the newest was only the second Zelda game I absolutely loved and I did not expect to love it before I went in) but I never bought a Wii U since it did so many stuff wrong in my eyes, and the Switch promised to fix so many of that that I wanted to show support. I never expected to use it as a handheld as much as I'm doing. I'm much more glad I got it than I thought I would be.

Then there's a different set of games I bought day one, because Game Mania (a Dutch/Belgian chain) often has pre-order sales. Games usually are €65 new, but ever so often they fo a pre-order sale where you can buy the game for €25 if you give them two used games of which their store price is at least €20, and I often have a few games lying around. Games I pre-ordered just because of those sales are Alien Isolation, Shadow Of Mordor, GTA V (twice!), Rise Of The Tomb Raider...

Ultimately though, it's all up to you. If it's worth it to you then it's worth it, simple as that. Personally I have become a bit more hesitant to pre-order since the No Man's Sky debacle but honestly, it just meant I switched to pre-ordering games from developers that had already proven themselves. Whatever the game is that Retro Studios has been working on for the last three or four years, unless it's in a gameplay genre I can't stand then you can bet I'll get it day one. I don't think I've ever pre-ordered as many games as I did in 2017, which is another reason I'm trying to stop buying stuff on sales and just get through my PS+ backlog in between these new titles - while my pre-order stats are higher than ever, I've never bought as few non-new games as I'm doing in this year.

Oh and games that have yet to be released that I want on (or close to) day one, for several different reasons - South Park: The Fractured But Whole (amazeballs), Middle-earth: Shadow Of War (awesome first game), Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (great last game, Chloe is cool and gotta show support for female lead) Super Mario Odyssey (open world Mario, yes please) Runner3 (why not?), Yooka-Laylee on the Switch (it belongs there), Red Dead Redemption 2 (awesome), Shakedown Hawaii (why not?) and whatever the new Assassin's Creed is going to be (awesome).

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, QuentinCle95 said:

I usually try to play everything I own (and plan on ever playing) before going on to buy the next thing. Of course, I get side tracked as well. Just yesterday, out of nowhere, I saw Wolfenstein PS4 on sale for just 4 Euros and though I hadn't planned on playing it before, now I definitely will after completing the two games I'm busy with now (Late Shift & Kingdom Hearts 2). 

My backlog consists mostly of PS+ games I'll never play (Grow Home, Lords of the Fallen, Apotheon) and games that were in a collection, of which I only wanted to play other games (FFX-2, the non-numbered Kingdom Hearts games, Bioshock 1 as I already played it on PC) and some small games that I bought impulsively but never actually feel like playing (White Night).

While my problem lays not with buying something and then not having time to play it, it's rather that there are so many games out there that I want to play, but I know I don't have time for them all, so I buy them one by one  so that I'll never have more than I can chew off. But that leaves many games that interest me (like The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy Type-0, Berserk Musou, Prey) yet unpurchased and growing ever more likely that I'll never buy them, sadly. 

FF Type 0 I actually consider better than most of the post FFIX games. I highly recommend not passing it up. :devil:

Hey where's the angel that says "no you don't need to play that great game!" 

It's because the angel agrees and is slowly being corrupted :devil:

Seriously though play that game lol

• Like 1

Dude that ain't nothing. I own about 700 games just digitally on PS3 and am currently sitting at 300 on PS4. My thing is I don't buy any indie game at full price. Only AAA games that I really want. Even though my backlog is huge I either got most of the games from Plus or I got them on sale. Now I did have a revelation like you a few months ago and realised that I needed to make a change with my buying. I didn't go to the extreme you did of not buying at all. I just now only buy games that I really want.

I've started keeping track on Excel games i have bought.

Allowing myself 12 games this year and only able to buy another one IF i finish something from the list (already sorted my list into games i actually want to play rather than ones that ive had for months and not touched).

12 games - one a month - not including PS+ games thats surely enough for dad of 2 in full time employment (you'd think)

48 minutes ago, chickenbaltipie said:

I've started keeping track on Excel games i have bought.

Allowing myself 12 games this year and only able to buy another one IF i finish something from the list (already sorted my list into games i actually want to play rather than ones that ive had for months and not touched).

12 games - one a month - not including PS+ games thats surely enough for dad of 2 in full time employment (you'd think)

I'm keeping a backlog list on this site.

I try never to have double digits in bought but unfinished games for any console. Hasn't completely worked out - I have a backlog of 10 on PS4 and 12 on PS3 (counting one game just for unfinished DLC on each), but those numbers were higher once and I've gotten it back down enough for me to be able to focus on that growing PS+ backlog as well.

Mind you, I'm not looking to game less, just looking to buy less games while I have enough yet to play.

I have a backlog of 2 on the Switch by the way, trying not to buy a game until I've finished the previous ones, allowing myself to have three games of different genres (started out as allowing one unfinished game but that became too monotonous, I want to be able to play several games next to each other). My Switch backlog will explode once the Virtual Console starts though.

• Like 1

Yeah, I have a bit of a problem with this too. Started when I mainly used steam. All the Humble Bundles and Steam sales were too good to resist. I had a look there and I own 396 games but didn't play 151 of them.

Ignoring PS+ games, these are the games I've bought on Playstation but haven't started:

Slain
Wheels Of Aurelia
Knee Deep
A Pixel Story
Rise Of The Tomb Raider
Dragon Quest Heroes
Salt & Sanctuary
Metro Redux
Root Letter
Shantae And The Pirate's Curse
Unepic*
Shadow Complex
Sly 3
Jax & Daxter 3
Ratchet & Clank 3

(I appear to have issues with trilogies)
Grand Theft Auto Vice City* + 3*
Axiom Verge
htoL#NiQ

*I've beaten these on other consoles/PC

Silver lining- I only tend to buy in sales, rarely (if ever) new, and don't have expensive vices elsewhere so it's not too hard on the wallet.

4 hours ago, Raitandrul said:

So you're blaming developers because YOU like to waste time earning trophies? LOL

EDIT: it's not the developers that have changed, it's you who enjoys spending more time with a single game now that trophies exist. You're the one that changed.

This is a trophy hunting website. Obviously people like me enjoy going after trophies. 

I merely said I am pointing the blame. I'm not saying everyone should accept my view.

I like to "waste" time earning trophies? Yeah, I'm sure there are far worse things I could be wasting my time on. 

Nice post there buddy. I guess I shouldn't waste my time and instead go outside and exercise, which I do in my spare time to stay in shape.

Hmmmm… :hmm:, let's take a look at all my spendings on my profile (in chronological order):

Gaming spendings

1. €16,99      PS Now — 1 month 
  2. €16,99      PS Now — 1 month 
  3. €6,99        PS Plus — 1 month 
  4. €49,99      PS Plus — 12 months
  5. €34,99      WipEout™ Omega Collection
  6. €3,99        ARCADE GAME SERIES: Ms. PAC-MAN
  7. €1,99        Never Alone: Foxtales
  8. €6,99        Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour
  9. €2,99        Teslagrad
  10. €3,99        Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink
  11. €1,99        ARCADE GAME SERIES: DIG DUG
  12. €1,99        ARCADE GAME SERIES: GALAGA
  13. €9,99        Atari Flashback Classics Vol. 1
  14. €9,99        Atari Flashback Classics Vol. 2

---

= €169,86

Conclusion: PS Plus saves a lot of money (^_^ )

EDIT: In all seriousness, don't get tricked in flash sales, it is tempting to buy a lot of games during flash sales but keep in mind that spending less money on more games can get the same result as spending more money on one game. Make a well-considered decision before you buy a game on sale. Not buying means having more time to play the games you have. No more backlog suffering. Time to play the games you actually want to play. 

It's a marketing game, and we're the ones being played…

Edited by Pixel-DRAGON-

Yup, I need to stop buying games myself but I just can't stop. I'm also a mild collector.

About 2 weeks ago I compiled a list of all the games I haven't played yet. Came out to be around 160 games all the way back to PS1 era. 

I had a rule that I wouldn't go above 3 games on PS4 for my Backlog. That worked for about 1 year. Now I'm up to like 30.

And this year I still want to buy Valkyria Revolution, Crash N. Sanity and F1 2017. The good thing is if I buy new games I usually play them right away. It's just those damn sales that get me.

*sigh*

On 5/18/2017 at 3:35 PM, scuderia_tifosi said:

I realized this too , and stopped adding new games to my backlog. 

But realized I still tend to buy new games when something exciting is up. So now I have created a folder on my PS4 named "Current Playlist" with maximum of 5 games in it at any given time.

So I only add something to it if I have to and strictly stick to this rule. Also for variety sake I mix the genres and keep atleast 1 PS+ game in the playlist. So far it has worked well.

So looks like for me it is more to do with time i can put into gaming which is making the back log to increase.

Just don't get the time to play as much as i used before getting a job :P