Are trophy hunters getting lazier as the years go by?

Eraezr

I'd argue that I don't think most people will go for quick and easy trophies just because they're lazy. Personally, I'm working through my backlog which is full of quick easy trophies as well as tough, time consuming trophies. I buy games on sale regardless of quality, trophy rarity or difficulty. Games I'm interested in I will buy and earn 100% regardless of price or difficulty too. I change the order I complete games every time I start to become bored or fatigued of earning trophies. I think it's best to mix it up every now and then.

For example, last year I made a complete list of games I've bought and ordered them solely based on how long it takes to beat them. I then started going through completing games starting from shortest amount of time to 100% to longest. Now I'm working through games on my Trophy Advisor, and every two games I complete I relax by doing some easy games on my purchase list on PSN. I play some games for the achievement of completing them, for the amount of fun they offer or to see whether they live up to their poor reputation. Regardless, I'm going to complete them or at least earn all obtainable trophies.

I'd also like to make the point that a lot of us have been doing this for 5-9 years now, have gotten older and have more responsibilities. Larger workloads at university or college, or we're holding down full time jobs, some of us have families to look after or some other reasons that mean we don't have as much time as we used to. Maybe some people are getting lazier but I don't think that's a majority.

1 hour ago, LeetWolf2 said:

I'd also like to make the point that a lot of us have been doing this for 5-9 years now, have gotten older and have more responsibilities. 

This person.

My own personal story: when I started trophy hunting in 2008 or so, I was on a postdoc, living in a one bedroom apartment. Now, I am married with a full time job, two kids, and a lot of responsibility. I have to get trophies where I can. I'm surprised I've been able to keep up my pace as it is.

25 minutes ago, Eraezr said:

I made this thread for the discussion of the topic. "General culture." Not personal insults.

I just scanned the last two pages of this thread, and it seems to me that people are discussing the topic at hand. They mostly disagree with you, but they've been civil.

Edited by starcrunch061

6 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

This guy.

My own personal story: when I started trophy hunting in 2008 or so, I was on a postdoc, living in a one bedroom apartment. Now, I am married with a full time job, two kids, and a lot of responsibility. I have to get trophies where I can. I'm surprised I've been able to keep up my pace as it is.

I just scanned the last two pages of this thread, and it seems to me that people are discussing the topic at hand. They mostly disagree with you, but they've been civil.

*cough* :ninja:

Yeah, I haven't seen any comments being aggressive to the OP, just everyone stating their opinions. I think the OP might be a bit upset that the majority seems to be disagreeing with them. But hey, that's just, like, my opinion man.

Edited by LeetWolf2

There have been people who go for the easiest platinums they could get their hands on ever since trophies first became a thing. It's not that people have become lazier, it's that platinums have become easier and more abundant. Back then people went to Hannah Montana and Terminator Salvation for their quick platinum fix. You still had to sit through hours of a terrible game though. These days there seem to be new PSN games popping up all the time where you can get a platinum trophy in an hour or less for next to no effort at all. You can be damn sure that if these things existed back then, people would have gone for them.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LeetWolf2 said:

*cough* :ninja:

Yeah, I haven't seen any comments being aggressive to the OP, just everyone stating their opinions. I think the OP might be a bit upset that the majority seems to be disagreeing with them. But hey, that's just, like, my opinion man.

I'm not sure what they're disagreeing about since I never stated any specific opinion of the relativity of trophy hunting in the past and present. I did say my own journey.

I saw a comment @ me asking if they thought that person was lazy or when @Cuddlez227 says "but rather you can't understand that people have different tastes in games than you". and I got the impression I slighted some people. I only citated examples and rhetoric to have an honest discussion on the topic.

Also, there's no need to falsely represent me by your comment.

Edited by Eraezr

1 minute ago, Eraezr said:

I'm not sure what they're disagreeing about since I never stated any specific opinion of the relativity of trophy hunting in the past and present. I did say my own journey.

I saw a comment @ me asking if they thought that person was lazy and I wondered if I slighted some people. There's no need to falsely represent me by your comment.

It sort of seems implied what your opinion is by the title. The same way if I make a thread named "Are trophy hunters becoming more competitive as years go by?". It's a leading or "loaded" question, so people are going to assume as the thread creator I would lean more towards yes. As opposed to calling it something like "What do you think of Trophy Hunters competitiveness now when compared to the past?" which would be an open question, not implying I'd be leaning one way or the other.

They didn't take it personally, they were using themselves as an example. Besides, one person does not equal some people. I'm not trying to start an argument here, I'm just trying to make you see that no one is being aggressive here and everyone is being respectful. Even though it was a loaded question :ninja:

3 minutes ago, LeetWolf2 said:

It sort of seems implied what your opinion is by the title. The same way if I make a thread named "Are trophy hunters becoming more competitive as years go by?". It's a leading or "loaded" question, so people are going to assume as the thread creator I would lean more towards yes. As opposed to calling it something like "What do you think of Trophy Hunters competitiveness now when compared to the past?" which would be an open question, not implying I'd be leaning one way or the other.

They didn't take it personally, they were using themselves as an example. Besides, one person does not equal some people. I'm not trying to start an argument here, I'm just trying to make you see that no one is being aggressive here and everyone is being respectful. Even though it was a loaded question :ninja:

Oh. I'm surprised people one person finds the question loaded. Even if a gamer were lazy about it, there's nothing explicitly wrong with going for easy platinums as its down to the gamer's intrinsic (a word I used in parent thread) experience of trophy hunting. Are people ashamed of being to be recognised as such?

1 minute ago, Eraezr said:

Oh. I'm surprised people one person finds the question loaded. Even if a gamer were lazy about it, there's nothing explicitly wrong with going for easy platinums as its down to the gamer's intrinsic (a word I used in parent thread) experience of trophy hunting. Are people ashamed of being to be recognised as such?

Can't tell if you're being passive aggressive or you're genuinely surprised that the question is loaded. Which it is, it's basic psychology...and your next question is too. Plus, I feel you've already answered that question, as it's up to each person to decide whether they're ashamed of going for all easy 100%s or Platinums. I'm not myself, I play whatever regardless of rarity. And people that do shouldn't be ashamed, play what you want, it's your profile and your life. Personally, although I don't mind either way about low rarity I am more proud of my rarest trophies. I think that goes for most trophy hunters though.

I do feel there is something to be said for people who are solely going for easy trophies and Platinums just to arbitrarily increase their trophy level and then look down upon those who have rarer platinums/trophies but aren't as high up on the leaderboards as them. I think as long as no one is being a willy to anyone, I don't think it matters what kinds of games people play.

24 minutes ago, LeetWolf2 said:

Can't tell if you're being passive aggressive or you're genuinely surprised that the question is loaded. Which it is, it's basic psychology...and your next question is too.

Umm, no, I am surprised. It's not like the question is asking for someone's political opinion of the Israel-Palestine that it should be loaded. This is trophy hunting (or do people take it as seriously as the aforementioned topic? *shrug)

2 minutes ago, Eraezr said:

Umm, no, I am surprised. It's not like the question is asking for someone's political opinion of the Israel-Palestine that it should be loaded. This is trophy hunting (or do people take it as seriously as the aforementioned topic? *shrug)

I don't understand your point here, you wrote the question. I'm not dictating that it's a loaded question, I'm just telling you the way you wrote it comes under the umbrella of leading or loaded questions in psychology. When those types of questions are used, the person asking wants the answer they're putting into the question. Which in this case, is yes. It doesn't matter if the question is political, or if you're simply asking the time. It's a loaded question regardless.

My reason for mentioning it being a leading question was me trying to make the point that you said you had no opinion either way, but you used a loaded question (knowingly or unknowingly) which implies your opinion is aligned with the answer the question is designed to receive, which again is "yes".

It didn't have anything to do with the topic, I was just attempting to make it clear why "some people" might have "took the wrong message and got triggered".

Can you expand on the topic question plz?...I don't really understand "trophy hunter" and "lazier" in the context of the op?...is platting let's say "easy" games lazy?...don't people often do this to get higher rankings?...and let's say they play 1 so called "hard" game, take like 100 hours and barely level up their trophy rank, assuming it's their goal, in the same time it would take to plat 10 simple games...as trophy hunters or whores or whatever you want to call them wouldn't the latter make more sense?...wouldn't it be kind of strategic to avoid complex games?...is this really laziness?...they have to buy and install 10 games, check 10 guides and track and update their trophy list potentially 10 times more...yes, the games may require less skill or dedication to complete I guess but it seems like a less lazy approach to me particularly if the games aren't even enjoyable to them to begin with...

Wouldn't more people having a lower completion, less games, less trophies, etc. indicate laziness and is this the case?...back to original question as perhaps you can understand my confusion...what does trophy hunters becoming lazy imply?...are you asking if people are avoiding "hard" games?...if so, I'm guessing (I don't actually pay attention to the stats) if you sorted trophies on this site by total number of achievers you might find a mix of old and new games' trophies and that most stats would be pretty consistent among the leaderboards over the years...which leads to the question, are you creating this thread due to any factual data you came across or is it kind of a generalization you're trying to present and wondering about? and what is it based on, or the root of your opinion if you prefer? the availability of what you consider "easy" games?...I should add that I don't really know much about the "art" of trophy hunting...

My personal situation: I am the least lazy person I know in real life...always on the go, and never enough hours in a day to do all that I would like...my trophy or, more accurately, gaming habits haven't changed since I was a kid...only my life situation has...it's just a hobby and one of the few that fits into my current lifestyle...laziness has nothing to do with it...I don't even consider myself a trophy hunter and couldn't care less what class other people would put me in with regards to how I play videos games so perhaps this is the cause of my confusion...curious nonetheless at what lazy trophy hunters means...any thoughts?...

I haven't been on these forums too long. Neither have I been trophy hunting long either. I got my Assassins Creed II platinum back in August 2015, just shy of two years. 

With 95 platinums (15 stacked) and over 4,500 trophies, I'm quite proud of myself.

I don't consider myself lazy when I'm currently working towards a platinum. I just tend to procrastinate which often leads to a few days between games. There is no hurry for anyone to complete games as long as we're committed enough to go after them, not to mention having fun. 

For the time being I'm mixing things up. I worked on Life is Strange three weeks ago. Not real short but still short enough to platinum the game relatively quickly. Then I worked on Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus. Completely different genre and game. Enjoyed it for what it was and moved on. 

Worked on Sonic CD, a game with no platinum but a game I wanted to play regardless. Lots of nostalgia as it brought back memories of my childhood. 

Rented NERO and bought Ether One. Both walking simulators, one buggy and one smooth. Easy, short but satisfying platinums.

In the next several days I will be working on Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time. This will be a longer game than all the others I mentioned, but I am determined to get the platinum and enjoy myself during the journey.

I have variety in the games I play. 

This is my own personal take on how I get trophies. I'm not avoiding any hard game or easy game. But sometimes you have to take a break, or play other games if you're feeling frustrated. 

I will eventually come back and platinum Super Meat Boy. I think any serious trophy hunter who wants to feel accomplished, even if that accomplishment gets no attention should at least try out Super Meat Boy. I understand a lot of people out there will probably quit and give up. But it's most definitely a game that's well rewarding, as it gets you to learn muscle memory. Learn from your mistakes. This is one of the main reasons why the Souls games (and Bloodborne) are so popular.

I see no problem with people going after a bunch of easy games with platinums after they beat a challenging one. If anything I think they deserve going after easy games.

Usually I change the order of games. If a game is too mindnumbingly boring or challenging I leave it for a while and play other games. If I feel I can definitely earn the platinum within a specific time frame then I will go for it. 

Depending on my mood I will play easy games, then switch it up with a more challenging one that tests my skills. 

I often play for accomplishment. It doesn't matter if nobody else cares about my goals or accomplishments, it's my own personal list of things, not theirs. I enjoy getting accomplishments and to enjoy the games themselves. Granted I bought games that were 100 percent for trophies, like Orc Slayer and Aabs Animals, but I generally buy games I'm interested in. Most of the time, if it's a game that doesn't interest me, a game I may dislike and/or probably hate, or a game that's not fun because of the trophies it forces on people for the platinum, then I won't buy it. If it's a game I enjoyed playing already but is offered on another platform, and I want to stack trophies, then I will buy it (except maybe if it's a bad port).

If the whole "trophy hunting" aspect doesn't interest you, or you think trophy hunters are simply just lazy instead of thinking of them as people who enjoy collecting trophies, then you probably don't care about trophies. That's fine, though I may ask why you are here, as this is a forum and website for people who like trophies, including those who are former trophy hunters and no longer play or go for trophies, but like to hear what others have to say.

I'm sorry for the very long winded, rambling post with long paragraphs. But I just wanted to get some things off my chest.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Spaz said:

I haven't been on these forums too long. Neither have I been trophy hunting long either. I got my Assassins Creed II platinum back in August 2015, just shy of two years. 

With 95 platinums (15 stacked) and over 4,500 trophies, I'm quite proud of myself.

I don't consider myself lazy when I'm currently working towards a platinum. I just tend to procrastinate which often leads to a few days between games. There is no hurry for anyone to complete games as long as we're committed enough to go after them, not to mention having fun. 

For the time being I'm mixing things up. I worked on Life is Strange three weeks ago. Not real short but still short enough to platinum the game relatively quickly. Then I worked on Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus. Completely different genre and game. Enjoyed it for what it was and moved on. 

Worked on Sonic CD, a game with no platinum but a game I wanted to play regardless. Lots of nostalgia as it brought back memories of my childhood. 

Rented NERO and bought Ether One. Both walking simulators, one buggy and one smooth. Easy, short but satisfying platinums.

In the next several days I will be working on Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time. This will be a longer game than all the others I mentioned, but I am determined to get the platinum and enjoy myself during the journey.

I have variety in the games I play. 

This is my own personal take on how I get trophies. I'm not avoiding any hard game or easy game. But sometimes you have to take a break, or play other games if you're feeling frustrated. 

I will eventually come back and platinum Super Meat Boy. I think any serious trophy hunter who wants to feel accomplished, even if that accomplishment gets no attention should at least try out Super Meat Boy. I understand a lot of people out there will probably quit and give up. But it's most definitely a game that's well rewarding, as it gets you to learn muscle memory. Learn from your mistakes. This is one of the main reasons why the Souls games (and Bloodborne) are so popular.

I see no problem with people going after a bunch of easy games with platinums after they beat a challenging one. If anything I think they deserve going after easy games.

Usually I change the order of games. If a game is too mindnumbingly boring or challenging I leave it for a while and play other games. If I feel I can definitely earn the platinum within a specific time frame then I will go for it. 

Depending on my mood I will play easy games, then switch it up with a more challenging one that tests my skills. 

I often play for accomplishment. It doesn't matter if nobody else cares about my goals or accomplishments, it's my own personal list of things, not theirs. I enjoy getting accomplishments and to enjoy the games themselves. Granted I bought games that were 100 percent for trophies, like Orc Slayer and Aabs Animals, but I generally buy games I'm interested in. Most of the time, if it's a game that doesn't interest me, a game I may dislike and/or probably hate, or a game that's not fun because of the trophies it forces on people for the platinum, then I won't buy it. If it's a game I enjoyed playing already but is offered on another platform, and I want to stack trophies, then I will buy it (except maybe if it's a bad port).

If the whole "trophy hunting" aspect doesn't interest you, or you think trophy hunters are simply just lazy instead of thinking of them as people who enjoy collecting trophies, then you probably don't care about trophies. That's fine, though I may ask why you are here, as this is a forum and website for people who like trophies, including those who are former trophy hunters and no longer play or go for trophies, but like to hear what others have to say.

I'm sorry for the very long winded, rambling post with long paragraphs. But I just wanted to get some things off my chest.

This sums up a lot of my own thoughts on trophy hunting. While I enjoy the act or hunting and earning a platinum trophy. Since I like to complete as much of a game as possible. I do find that longer games, especially RPG's can sorta wear me out and require a break. The best example for me, would be Skyrim, where it got tiring just going for all the trophies, and when the game started glitching or stuttering badly, I decided to basically just finish up the game and come back for the lingering trophies later. Same goes for Shadow of Mordor and Gravity Rush. It might take some time, it took me ages to go back and get the last L.A. Noire DLC trophy.

I plan to go back and do Meat Boy again too, it's one of those games, I intend to revisit and eventually platinum. The only games I 100% know I'm going to hate trying to platinum are Muramasa Rebirth, with its Fury difficulty and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2. But since I've already beaten a bunch of long RPG's this year, i.e, two Soulsborne and Skyrim. I'll do some shorter titles, already working on Sly: Thieves in Time, then I'll do the Sly Minigames and the Crash trilogy. I'll also be grabbing undertale, later this year, because it's another indie title I beat on steam, that's being ported over.

• 1 month later...
On 15/07/2017 at 6:31 AM, LeetWolf2 said:

I don't understand your point here, you wrote the question. I'm not dictating that it's a loaded question, I'm just telling you the way you wrote it comes under the umbrella of leading or loaded questions in psychology. When those types of questions are used, the person asking wants the answer they're putting into the question. Which in this case, is yes. It doesn't matter if the question is political, or if you're simply asking the time. It's a loaded question regardless.

My reason for mentioning it being a leading question was me trying to make the point that you said you had no opinion either way, but you used a loaded question (knowingly or unknowingly) which implies your opinion is aligned with the answer the question is designed to receive, which again is "yes".

It didn't have anything to do with the topic, I was just attempting to make it clear why "some people" might have "took the wrong message and got triggered".

Umm...ok. Guess I should brush up on psychology before I say a thing on an internet forum ?