Are trophy hunters getting lazier as the years go by?

Eraezr

8 minutes ago, Reasuns said:

I think it's becoming diluted. Some hunters out there are willing to buy games they won't even like if it means an easy plat/trophies. There are many games out there now that fit this. When checking people's lists it's the first thing I look for, and it's always shocking that those who do it seem to abuse it. Sound shapes 6 times, Hannah Montana, etc. 

I've never bought games I don't like. Yes, I've bought games cheaply for the 1 hour or less plats, but that is a different thing :P 

So I guess you can call me lazy :P

If you are talking in general terms of glitching or exploiting trophies, then again yes, I will use that instead of grinding them out. 

Edited by Combatting

5 minutes ago, Combatting said:

I've never bought games I don't like. Yes, I've bought games cheaply for the 1 hour or less plats, but that is a different thing :P 

So I guess you can call me lazy :P

If you are talking in general terms of glitching or exploiting trophies, then again yes, I will use that instead of grinding them out. 

I don't mind finding in game glitches and using them. But multiple lists, or games that are only played for the trophies, annoy me! Easy Japanese games with 90% completion rates completed by people who literally don't speak Japanese is also annoying. It waters down the leaderboard. 

2 minutes ago, Reasuns said:

I don't mind finding in game glitches and using them. But multiple lists, or games that are only played for the trophies, annoy me! Easy Japanese games with 90% completion rates completed by people who literally don't speak Japanese is also annoying. It waters down the leaderboard. 

I understand what you are saying. I have the odd 1/2 weeabo games (Hatoful Boyfriend, for example :P ), but other than that, I won't plague my profile with them as I don't see the point. 

Edited by Combatting

I can, sometimes, do easy plats just for fun, you know. Just having a short good time. I'm always up to some challenging Platinums, just like my collection talks for itself.

Some people can understand that many gamers have a daily job and have many plans in life that reduce their gaming time. I am one of them. I'm thinking A LOT of taking back to drawings and giving my 100% focus on them... but somehow I'm completely discouraged by the lack of recognition and feedback I get from my works the last months. It feels like that I get no reward for the hard work on my pictures. It's just feel that I get nothing back after hours of putting effort on my works.

With over 100 Platinums (that I have never thought to achieve), I think a lot of moving on and focus what I always wanted to do... but instead I play games and I want to finish off games I left off for a while, so yeah I have the tendency of playing games I'm interesting to and, as usual, are easy for me.

I love gaming but I have no idea what can make me push to proceed my true passion. Unless I get paid, I'd do everything.

Edited by Maxie Mouse

Meh. Everyone is doing their own thing, so you can't really say. Some people have always gone after easy plats for the sake of plat number increases. Some people play games they don't like for that reason (Hannah Montana), while sometimes people get easy plats from games they actually were interested in. I can only speak for myself, and everyone else can only do the same (speak for themselves).

Personally, I go for what I can do. If a game interests me, and has an easy plat, then I'm fine with it. Coffin Dodgers is easy, really easy, and fast, but I like cart racers. And it was a few bucks, so why wouldn't I try it? I don't care if it's easy. I enjoyed my time with it. Got 3 hours of enjoyment for around $3. Fine with me.

If something is too hard, then I probably won't plat it, because I just don't enjoy it. Unlocking The Kid was one of the most miserable experiences of my life. I didn't feel accomplished, because unlike the main game (Super Meat Boy; duh) those levels have horrendous hitboxes that make it a struggle to actually avoid death. You'll die on nothing (visually) so you have to insert the invisible hitbox into your mind and make it through like that. It even glitched in the easiest portion (3rd) making it harder for me for no reason. I quote a perfect youtube comment; "I did it, but at what cost?"

It's not very fun for me to feel that way. So if I think a trophy will feel that way, then I won't go for it. So most of my plats are easy or moderate. I don't think any really qualify as hard, and I really don't care. I don't do it to impress people, I do it for my own enjoyment. I'm not going to play a game I don't like just for trophies [although I did via PS+ but I knew nothing about the game beforehand; and the 100% was easy and short so it just worked out that way]. I won't be playing Mayo or Trophy Whore; The Game (whatever they rename the game as when/if they get relisted).

Despite having some bad games on my list (Last Rebellion), I did enjoy it, despite it's massive flaws. People are gonna do what they want to do. Accept. Move on. Do you.

edit; also, being on this site has given me more motivation to complete games, go back to my backlog, and be more productive. Started here with a 38% completion rate, and am up to 44% [probably will drop to 43.xx% with FFXII started though]. I've completed games I haven't even played in over 4-8 years, finally. I was far lazier as a gamer before.

edit2; Also also, my cabinet speaks for itself. I don't care about rarity, I put all my favorite games on the list. Tearaway and R&CF: A Crack in Time are uncommon, I don't care. I don't care that Soul Sacrifice or Freedom Wars are very rare. Or that LBP/LBP2 are ultra rare. I just loved those games. They're some of my favorite games, and I had a lot of fun getting the platinums in them. If they were 100% common they'd still be in there.

Edited by Elvick_
  • Like 3

I actually get kinda disappointed whenever I discover that the new Telltale game is again another title where you simply just need to complete all episodes to get the platinum. Feels like there isn't any achievement there at all.

That said, I do tend to go for easy platinums, but no matter how easy a platinum is to obtain, I don't bother on games I'm not enjoying. I like going for a challenging platinum every once in a while, but challenging platinums also tend to be time consuming, and with how big my backlog is, I generally don't really want to spend any longer on a game than necessary, unless I really really enjoy it. I can always return to it later to get the platinum, which I've been doing for a few games recently these past few months.

3 hours ago, Bullstomp said:

I don't  know what you are talking about, I platted Takes from the Borderlands and I absolutely loved it. Best Telltales ending in my opinion. I dont consider myself lazy for playing games I enjoy.

I like a diverse mix of games. I have some hard platinums and some easy platinums. Now if people are only platting games cuz they are easy and not because they actually enjoy the games thats worse than lazy. That's just sad.

I can't say I agree. If that's what they enjoy doing, more power to them. I don't see how you saying that is any less valid than OP saying that people are lazy if they play easy games. They both have a foundation in "My opinion is the one that matters more than anything else". Which is pretty worthless in an argument.

It's sad to begrudge people for doing things differently than you would, when it isn't hurting anyone else. I don't get playing a game you have zero interest in for a trophy, but then I realize that plenty of people don't get why anyone goes for trophies at all, and think that we're all "just sad" too. So choose to avoid such ways of thinking about it.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

I can't say I agree. If that's what they enjoy doing, more power to them. I don't see how you saying that is any less valid than OP saying that people are lazy if they play easy games. They both have a foundation in "My opinion is the one that matters more than anything else". Which is pretty worthless in an argument.

It's sad to begrudge people for doing things differently than you would, when it isn't hurting anyone else. I don't get playing a game you have zero interest in for a trophy, but then I realize that plenty of people don't get why anyone goes for trophies at all, and think that we're all "just sad" too. So choose to avoid such ways of thinking about it.

To be fair, I said if they WEREN'T enjoying it, it would be like working a job that didn't pay you. Check what you quoted me saying. I was very specific with the phraseology I used and by missing that part of my post you completely missed the context I intended.

And that's sad.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bullstomp said:

To be fair, I said if they WEREN'T enjoying it, it would be like working a job that didn't pay you. Check what you quoted me saying. I was very specific with the phraseology I used and by missing that part of my post you completely missed the context I intended.

And that's sad.

Well, they have to enjoy the "end goal" [trophies] even if they don't enjoy the "journey" [game]. Otherwise, why would they even be doing it? But fair enough.

3 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

Well, they have to enjoy the "end goal" [trophies] even if they don't enjoy the "journey" [game]. Otherwise, why would they even be doing it? But fair enough.

OCD or peer pressure come to mind. I'm sure there are other reasons but I'm too tired to continue to hypothesize.

I usually have my own system going on which I do try and follow as best as I can.

My rule sort of goes in 10s.

Every 10th platinum is large and/or challenging game.
Every 5th Platinum is a decent one too

Games in between tend to be shorter

That being said if anybody was to look at my trophy log you would notice this rule isn't always followed as much as I would like it to be. I've platinumed a fair few difficult games but I also enjoy playing shorter games. I am a sucker for indie ones too and it doesn't really matter to me whether a game has a platinum or not. I'm quite happy with 100% unless I feel the game deserves one. I don't think trophy hunters are getting lazier, I just think everybody likes a combination. While I have come across cheap people who rack up their scores with Jp. VNs I don't really mind what people play although I'd see this as crossing the line (unless they actually are fluent in Japanese). 

6 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

We aren't getting lazier. We are just...I'm exhausted I need to take a nap

Well... as the years go by we usually get older and as a result we tend to get lazier we just play games from time to time and only play games we really like.  We do have a social life outside of gaming as well.

People in general are getting lazier than ever, so I'm not surprised that this trend has extended to trophy hunting.

Also, in the past, I think games have been harder than the games we have now. That could also be a contributor.

• Like 1

I hate trophy lists that make you play through a game more than twice, unless it's offering a very different experience and or story on the extra playthroughs. I think Trophy Lists are not becoming lazy but maybe more refined. I hate this if it's only to unlock a new difficulty (Uncharted PS3) just  a waste of my time, give me the hardest mode from the get go, or when difficulty did not stack.

I think over time Devs have also realised this it's not fun to make trophies like this, which reduces the hours you need to put in to get a plat, but as long as the skill component is still there I'm not bothered about it taking me 30 hours instead of 60.

As for the 5 euro games 1 hour plats yeah those are ballshit, imo those games should be 100% games and not plats but if you want to compete in the leader board sometimes after finishing a 100 hour game and dropping 5 places you want an easy way to catch up. At least that happens to me sometimes ... I want to try and get into the top 100 for Netherlands, but playing Persona 4 Golden, and Mass Effect at the moment and that will probably make me drop a few because those plats are so long. However they are fantastic games and I want to 100% them, playing the best the medium has to offer still takes priority for me over trophies.

I will probably pick a shorter game from my backlog after I have finished Mass Effect and Persona for this reason, one of these

Goat Simulator 5-10 Hours
  Titan Souls (PS+) 5-10 Hours
  Transformers: Devastation (PS+) 15-20 Hours
  LittleBigPlanet 3 (PS+) 15-20 Hours
  Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty (PS+) 15-20 Hours
  This War of Mine: The Little Ones (PS+) 15-20 Hours
  Shadow Complex Remastered 15-20 Hours
  Batman: Arkham Aslyum 15-20 Hours
  Furi (PS+) 15-20 Hours
  Tropico 5 (PS+) 20-25 Hours
  Teraway Unfolded (PS+) 20-25 Hours
  Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare (PS+) 20-25 Hours
  Stories: The Path of Destinies (PS+) 20-25 Hours
  Zombi 20-25 Hours
  STARWAHL (PS+) 20-25 Hours

Edited by tpepper1985

3 minutes ago, Gotakibono said:

Maybe it's the trophies that are getting easier, as I'm sure after nearly a decade developers have learnt that having a ridiculous trophy list might actually cost you a bit of money - not a lot, mind you, but still!

Yep, I'm less inclined to try games I'm not sure that I will like if they have crazy trophy lists.

• Like 1

As soon as a game stops being fun, I stop playing it. If that makes me lazy, oh well. Life's too short and there are too many great games out there to waste my time playing Overwatch/The Last of Us/Uncharted just to earn the approval of people on the internet.

@tpepper1985 Tropico 5 is a great game. A little RNG dependent at times, but it's definitely the one to play if you just want something that'll both be fun and help you unwind.

• Like 1