Are trophy hunters getting lazier as the years go by?

Eraezr

In the sense of general culture.

Always looking to scrape by all the easiest possible games, like that 1000 Rated puzzle game blatantly advertising itself as an easy plat on the PSN store, or whispers of trophy hacking.

I myself have played some easy plat games like Tales from the Borderlands, but at the same time, I appreciate the focused and intrinsic satisfaction that comes with getting a more challenging kind, like Overwatch. These days, I'm obsessing over the intrinsic returns of trophy hunting rather than obsessing over the platinum number.

People hunt trophies for different reasons. Some mostly only plat really hard games. Some only plat AAA games while other focus on easy indie games or on stacking games on other consoles/regions. I got plenty of really easy platinums, but i enjoyed getting the platinums on most of them and thats what matters to me. I also have a friend with almost no patinums and he only focuses on climbing the leaderboard. Even getting easy platinum takes time and effort especially if you are going to plat the same game several times. So sometimes you feel lazy and get some easy platinums and other times you feel like a longer game. But there been so many easy platinum lately that its hard to avoid them =P

Edited by Quink666

Look for easy platinum without really enjoy what you do just because you want a lot of trophies is some that I can't understand (and i know some people enjoy that.) But people hunt for different reason so I think we look a people like true hunter or no by our own perspective of what it is to hunt trophie.

3 minutes ago, GarciaFever said:

No matter who it is, a trophy hunter should always prioritize fun above all else, whether it be just for racking up trophies or whatever.

@Eraezr would you say that I have become "lazier" when I managed to earn a couple of easy platinums after getting the platinum for Mortal Kombat? A lot of us need a bit of relaxation every now and then, and I feel that getting a few easy platinums is the only way that I can keep my sanity. If this doesn't work, then I usually take a hiatus from trophy hunting.

Sigh... I need some sleep.

Well said. Always good to wind down after a tough plat.

Edited by Demon--Prototype
  • Like 1

it vary's by the day on my end... tragedy's such as an emergency vet visit always take priority over trophy hunting.

sometimes it's tiring so i take a nap during afternoon.

Edited by kingdrake2

I don't  know what you are talking about, I platted Takes from the Borderlands and I absolutely loved it. Best Telltales ending in my opinion. I dont consider myself lazy for playing games I enjoy.

I like a diverse mix of games. I have some hard platinums and some easy platinums. Now if people are only platting games cuz they are easy and not because they actually enjoy the games thats worse than lazy. That's just sad.

• Like 3

Not really, it's just that there's games that basically just give their plat to the player nowadays.

I remember back then when people flocked movie license games sorely because they were considered Easy to Platinum back then

• Like 1

Yup.

I got lazy and bought a bunch of easy plats on the cheap a few years ago.

Then I realized that shit is stupid, unfortunately after buying them, and never finished / even touched most of them.

Then, in the ultimate form of laziness, I not only never bothered to play them, but I never bothered to get rid of them either.

Then like 2 years later my PS4 died and I took advantage of a decent trade in deal and made back most of my money, even turned a profit on a fair few games.

Trophies are fucking dumb. It took being flagged, playing on other consoles, and a bit of time to realize that, but yeah, shit's dumb. Well, not really, shit's cool, moreso, getting hooked on them is dumb. Finish games because you want to finish them, play them because they're good and fun, not because of the trophies. If you do that, and still pull a massive plat stack, then the shit is worth showing off.

Most of my 100 odd are at least decent games, but there's a fair few double, or even triple plats, and a few that are just genuinely bad games, but at least I didn't personally finish Hannah Montana, I couldn't stomach it and made a friend finish it off for me while I watched. Bad shitty tie in games aren't inherently bad, and some are even enjoyable, Stuart Little 2 isn't a great game by any means, it's a by the numbers 3rd person kid friendly platformer tie in that's very lazy at times, and I enjoy the shit out of that. But saying something like that, when trophies aren't involved, gives it a lot more meaning, whereas something like Hannah Montana, unless you're a super hardcore fan or something, it's only defense is the trophy list, the game is a broken shitty mess.

I have a variety of completed games. Long, short; easy, hard; common, rare.

Trophies are part of why I play games, but only a part. I could grind, grind, grind on super-hard games trying to build a cabinet of sparkling ultra rares, or I could grind, grind, grind on a bunch of super-easy games trying to amass a truckload of the lowest-quality platinums available. But neither one of those really gets at why I play games or enjoy gaining trophies. If I do too many long, involved games in a row — or too many easy, simple games — I start to feel a pull for the other kind. I saw someone on here the other day who had his forum subtitle set to "Casual completionist," and that probably describes me better than "trophy hunter." 

It's a good era to be a gamer. Part of what makes it a good era is the "everything, all the time" selection we have to choose from. The logic that provides trophy whores with a flood of low-effort platinums is the same logic that provides me with good quality games I enjoy playing. Sure, the trophy whores are above me on the leaderboards, but I feel I got the better end of the deal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DF007gamer said:

Are we get lazier?. No. Normally a trophy goes for a 10km run after a hearty breakfast and finishers off with a 400m sprint. Then we proceed with 10 pull ups with controller between legs for added weight. 10 push ups with controller on the back. Take a shower, dry off, Protein shake then we spend 10 hours a day trophy hunting while running on a treadmill. Trophy hunters are the fittest people on earth

I've been trying to get a six-pack, but I just can't seem to gain any muscle lol :P

I guess I need to increase my training regime :awesome:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Yup.

I got lazy and bought a bunch of easy plats on the cheap a few years ago.

Then I realized that shit is stupid, unfortunately after buying them, and never finished / even touched most of them.

Then, in the ultimate form of laziness, I not only never bothered to play them, but I never bothered to get rid of them either.

Then like 2 years later my PS4 died and I took advantage of a decent trade in deal and made back most of my money, even turned a profit on a fair few games.

Trophies are fucking dumb. It took being flagged, playing on other consoles, and a bit of time to realize that, but yeah, shit's dumb. Well, not really, shit's cool, moreso, getting hooked on them is dumb. Finish games because you want to finish them, play them because they're good and fun, not because of the trophies. If you do that, and still pull a massive plat stack, then the shit is worth showing off.

Most of my 100 odd are at least decent games, but there's a fair few double, or even triple plats, and a few that are just genuinely bad games, but at least I didn't personally finish Hannah Montana, I couldn't stomach it and made a friend finish it off for me while I watched. Bad shitty tie in games aren't inherently bad, and some are even enjoyable, Stuart Little 2 isn't a great game by any means, it's a by the numbers 3rd person kid friendly platformer tie in that's very lazy at times, and I enjoy the shit out of that. But saying something like that, when trophies aren't involved, gives it a lot more meaning, whereas something like Hannah Montana, unless you're a super hardcore fan or something, it's only defense is the trophy list, the game is a broken shitty mess.

This is pretty much my take on it. I enjoy trophy hunting, but I only hunt trophies on games I really love. I haven't got a plat yet, but I know it'll be a game that I really like.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GarciaFever said:

@AdmantCrow so you didn't like Life is Strange?

I still haven't properly played Life is Strange. I played the first episode last year when it was free. I got the full PS+ edition when it was free and I'll sit down and play it when I get through a few more games most likely.

I had been lazy before I really started trophy hunting. Now I start not many games, but try to clear all the old ones (hint: backlog!) out, if possible. There are cases with frustration (like Mass Effect 1 or LEGO The Hobbit [Vita], for example) and on the other hand games which are fairly easy to get done (like LEGO Lord of the Rings [PS3] or Hyperdimension Neptunia U, for example). I mainly hunt trophies to get all that shit of my past over with and take down these relics of time's past.

The first :platinum: I got was a game which - and that applies to the game series as well - I really enjoy. I really felt like I got to be a Master Assassin when this trophy popped up on my screen. Now I'm up to 11 plats in total and one thing's for sure: There are more coming!

12 minutes ago, AdmantCrow said:

I enjoy trophy hunting, but I only hunt trophies on games I really love.

that is the only requisite for any game you really want have all trophies.

2 minutes ago, dein-the-dragoon said:

up to 11 plats in total and one thing's for sure: There are more coming!

Good Luck!

I think it's becoming diluted. Some hunters out there are willing to buy games they won't even like if it means an easy plat/trophies. There are many games out there now that fit this. When checking people's lists it's the first thing I look for, and it's always shocking that those who do it seem to abuse it. Sound shapes 6 times, Hannah Montana, etc. 

• Like 2