Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

14 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

WoW...I dunno. I didn't get into it much. I was a healing-focused paladin, so I could semi-tank and semi-heal, which made me welcome in almost every group, but the game was too fast-paced. You had to move. I don't know how many of you actually played the original EQ, but that kind of combat was almost exclusively reserved for end-game raids or farming/powerleveling. Most of the time, you'd go into a zone and there would be "camps," which were certain areas of the map that were good for pulling mobs to and killing them as a group. Usually, you'd have one member of the group run out, aggro a monster, and then bring him back to the group. They were called pullers. (Most of you probably already know this.) That was actually a skill that I don't see in modern MMOs -- or at least not ones I played. You had to kinda know how close you could get to an enemy without aggroing all of his friends too. Monks had it a bit easier because they could feign death if they pulled too many mobs at once. I think rangers were one of the better ones too because they should shoot the mob from a distance and then the tank could take the aggro away from them. And mana in that game regenerated SLOWLY. You'd have to actually sit and wait for it to refill. I remember I had an enchanter or something and I spent most of the game on my butt. /gems. You remember /gems? /gems is what you'd do if you were an enchanter.

Oh boy, Everquest was the first MMO I got addicted to and played and it was very unforgiving. I played a troll shaman, which luckily was a great solo farming class, but required about half a bar of mana per giant or whatever was soloable to kill. Then I would sit down and do homework or make a sandwhich for like 10 mins. One mistake or miss pull could cause you to die and lose 4 hours of progress on XP. I very much remember the random Kodiak bears that were in the low level area that would randomly aggro you and were faster than you were, so unless you stayed near the zone entrance, they were a big threat.

The truly unique experience I had in that game was playing on a faction PVP server. There were 3 factions and depending on what race you played, you were in one of those factions. On Saturdays at random times, people would choose an area to have a battle or there would be a sneak attack on a city. When you got all 3 factions to show up at one location, it turned into pandemonium.

• Like 1

I never played a MMO. Never saw the appeal, and definitely wouldn't pay for a subscription. The closest I came to that was a browser game: Travian. That was one of those F2P where you could use real money to speed up stuff. If you didn't, there was a lot of idling.

I got suckered in with a group of people from another message board. One week in half the poeple dropped out, and after another week there were only two of us left. We played the whole year without money, and for that, we did quite well. Only during the endgame we had to join an alliance. But it wasn't a thing I would want to do again.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Grotz99 said:

The truly unique experience I had in that game was playing on a faction PVP server. There were 3 factions and depending on what race you played, you were in one of those factions. On Saturdays at random times, people would choose an area to have a battle or there would be a sneak attack on a city. When you got all 3 factions to show up at one location, it turned into pandemonium.

PvP always attracted the worst kind of crowd, the rage quitters and the griefers. Never was any good at PvP, I basically stuck with PvM because I preferred to have my online teammates help me out in pulling a group.

I used to be scared about being the Tank, but after a while I got used to it. Always hated to be the Healer.

16 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

I never played a MMO. Never saw the appeal, and definitely wouldn't pay for a subscription. The closest I came to that was a browser game: Travian. That was one of those F2P where you could use real money to speed up stuff. If you didn't, there was a lot of idling.

MMOs were great back then because they were the first games to allow a wide group of people all playing at once. The old Xbox and PS2 consoles did not have that kind of interactivity, so the PC basically had the advantage.

Today the formula of the MMO is basically obsolete. Console gaming now allows far more online capability as Destiny 2 and Fortnite would tell you.

I will never go back to WoW. It was fun, sunk countless hours into it and made some friends that I still keep in contact with on social media. But I just don't have it in me to go through all that grinding again. Blizzard is going down the shitter anyway. How they treated Warcraft 3 Reforged early this year confirms that I will never support that company again.

• Like 1

noticed Cassy has started playing Slay the Spire

200.gif

I can't WAIT for this review. I really hope you love the game as much as I did. It consumed me for 3 straight weeks in March at start of quarantine and such. That trip to Ascension 20 is going to be one hell of a ride but I have complete faith you'll conquer it. 

On 9/24/2020 at 0:16 PM, Grotz99 said:

Certainly glad that modern MMOs today restrict PvP to a single area. The thought of being sniped and killed by random players when you were just traveling to the next city are really terrifying.

On 9/25/2020 at 4:29 AM, det_gittes said:

Haha, Fell Seal has just gone on sale :D 

And I bought it. And started it. Thanks for the heads up!

On 9/26/2020 at 2:09 PM, realm722 said:

noticed Cassy has started playing Slay the Spire

I can't WAIT for this review. I really hope you love the game as much as I did. It consumed me for 3 straight weeks in March at start of quarantine and such. That trip to Ascension 20 is going to be one hell of a ride but I have complete faith you'll conquer it. 

I can see why it's so addictive. I can also see why RNG plays such a big role. ? Fun game so far, but I have a long way to go.

4 hours ago, Spaz said:

I saw you got Shovel Knight done @Cassylvania , great job on doing all the DLC. Still need to go back and do it myself.

Going to be another case where I do a lot of work for just a handful of trophies, like Batman: Arkham City.

Thanks. I'm actually exhausted from how many playthroughs that took. I think it was only four or five, but I did most of them simultaneously. I'd actually recommend that because it lets you master one level at a time, but dying meant I probably played some levels 10-15 times in a row. Same for Joustus. I eventually got to the point where I'd win the majority of my matches, but I just didn't find it fun. I think a big reason was because I didn't understand what some of the cards did or I couldn't "move" the pieces around in my head, if that makes any sense.

Slay the Spire is a much better card game.

We're getting close to October here, so I guess we gotta get in our obligatory spooky game. What do you guys think? RE3, The Evil Within, or something else?

11 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Thanks. I'm actually exhausted from how many playthroughs that took. I think it was only four or five, but I did most of them simultaneously. I'd actually recommend that because it lets you master one level at a time, but dying meant I probably played some levels 10-15 times in a row. Same for Joustus. I eventually got to the point where I'd win the majority of my matches, but I just didn't find it fun. I think a big reason was because I didn't understand what some of the cards did or I couldn't "move" the pieces around in my head, if that makes any sense.

Slay the Spire is a much better card game.

They threw in a minigame? Ugh.

12 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

We're getting close to October here, so I guess we gotta get in our obligatory spooky game. What do you guys think? RE3, The Evil Within, or something else?

I'd pick The Evil Within. Challenging, but a worthwhile platinum to have on your list.

On 9/30/2020 at 0:19 AM, Spaz said:

They threw in a minigame? Ugh.

Yeah, and it takes about as long as the main game. You can completely ignore it on most of your playthroughs, but you still have to beat every opponent and collect every card for the 100%.

Now, how about this, guys? A game where I'm currently the FASTEST ACHIEVER IN THE WORLD. (Not really an accomplishment.)

Platinum #229 - Fell Seal

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/bc6bd3/trophies/1L718fba.png

I'm going to be honest here. I gave the story about three hours before I started skipping text and the combat about six hours before I realized I could set all my characters to be controlled by the AI and watch a movie instead. I'm not saying it's a bad game. I'm just saying I'm probably not the best person to ask for an in-depth review.

Instead, I will say I liked the combat from what little I played (both the early game and a few of the late battles that required a higher degree of intelligence than what the AI was showing). The class system is a bit bizarre because you're not really "locked in" to the normal roles you'd expect for a game like this. Yeah, you have stats and they increase based on which class you are when you level up, but you'll want to switch classes frequently to unlock new skills and new classes. You can then mix and match those skills to create the kind of character you want. You can also reset your character to level 1 to get better stat growths without losing your skill/class progress, but I found that unnecessary.

Turn-based strategy is one of my favorite genres, but only XCOM and some of the Fire Emblem games have gotten it right. I think the problem with Disgaea, FF Tactics, and other games like this is that the individual characters don't feel special. I like the permadeath system because it gets me to care about the choices I make. It also makes every playthrough unique. Here, you can have a team of...I dunno. Some number of members. It doesn't really matter what the cap is. You get six or seven story-based characters, which is enough to play through the entire game. You don't need to recruit anyone. It's a shame too because some of the portrait art is beautiful. I decided to forego every major character except Kyrie (who doesn't feel like she should be the main hero, by the way), but I still only needed a healer, a Peddler/Gadgeteer, a Gunner/Knight, and a few frontline characters to beat the entire game. On autoplay. You can only deploy a maximum of six characters on most maps anyway.

I dunno. It's fine. The DLC adds a bunch of monsters, but it just means more work for you because you have to recruit them all (for one trophy) and master every variant (for another). That eats up some time. You can do this by tackling Missions that take place in real time, but I found it quicker to just autoplay patrols. If you're really lazy, though, I hear you can just speed up the clock on your PS4.

I'm not going to fault the game for having a feature that makes my life easier. I actually had a fun time the first night customizing my team of heroes. If you play on higher difficulties, your characters can actually suffer "injuries" that make them less effective until they sit a battle out, but that is rendered moot by the fact that you can simply go back to the first area and kill low-level enemies for a few minutes. It'd be like if XCOM had a training mode that you'd go to after every battle to get your team fully healthy again. That's not fair. As if the aliens are just going to sit there while you're shooting beer bottles off a fence in somebody's backyard.

Anyway, I'd recommend this over Disgaea 5 and Langrisser if you're just trying to get into the tactical RPG scene. It's not as long or convoluted as Disgaea, but also not as simple or mind-numbing as Langrisser. It's the right mix of everything. Goldilocks would be proud. She'd also probably steal your fuckin' porridge.

This makes me smile so much! | Cute animals, Animals, Seal pup

This new trophy system is garbage. So much for milestones being a thing.

Looks rather silly seeing a lot of trophy hunters well over level 100 on PSN, and assigning levels as bronze, silver, gold and eventually platinum (level 999) is just the shit icing on the cake.

They didn't need to change the system, I would of been fine with them increasing the cap and leaving it at that. Furthermore they changed over far too soon, wouldn't it of been okay to wait until the launch of the PS5 to make the change?

Now non-platinum games like HITMAN and HITMAN 2 give people even less of a reason to go for them. *sigh*

Sony did this wrong.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2020 at 1:01 PM, Rally-Vincent--- said:

Too bad you didn't have such a great time with the game like I did. In XCOM, though, if you reach late mid-game, you can easily cheese missions with a couple of Rookies while you heal your main guys. Even the tiredness in XCOM 2 doesn't prevent this.

Oh, I enjoyed the game. I just enjoyed the game for different reasons than I expected.

I also started Children of Zodiarcs, which is closer to what I thought Fell Seal would be like. Pretty neat game.

On 10/7/2020 at 11:20 PM, Spaz said:

This new trophy system is garbage. So much for milestones being a thing.

Yup. Just lost all my level up milestones. Kinda defeats the purpose of having such a thing if you're just going to keep moving the goalposts.

The ones they were replaced with are trash. (Except Hot Flashes. That's hilarious.)

Oh, and 505 Games just announced they're dropping all future support for Indivisible, so a 100% account is out of the question now too. Things are going swimmingly, aren't they?

37 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Yup. Just lost all my level up milestones. Kinda defeats the purpose of having such a thing if you're just going to keep moving the goalposts.

The ones they were replaced with are trash. (Except Hot Flashes. That's hilarious.)

Oh, and 505 Games just announced they're dropping all future support for Indivisible, so a 100% account is out of the question now too. Things are going swimmingly, aren't they?

Very sorry to hear this on Indivisible. Don’t care one iota about leveling now. 

Yep things are going swimmingly. I’ve made it a habit to avoid all the bullshit the media is throwing at us. Now Sony comes in and ruins part of a hobby I’ve enjoyed for the past few years. A hobby that I’ve used almost exclusively for escapism.

Here is what I would do with this site. Keep the current setup and just add another new attribute, neo level. Just leave all the milestones alone and add a separate part for the newer ps level. It wouldn't hurt to have both available for sorting in leaderboards and actually I would find it interesting to see the difference. The milestones are part of this site and have only really mattered here, so leave them be.

Sorry to hear about indivisible :(

6 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Oh, and 505 Games just announced they're dropping all future support for Indivisible, so a 100% account is out of the question now too.

Ah, fuck... ? An incompetent publisher is among the worst ways to loose a 100% profile... Really sorry about that! 

How is that affecting your motivation to keep going with your profile? I ask because of the multiple accounts you've had in the past, I hope this is not a trigger for you to drop your current account! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grotz99 said:

Here is what I would do with this site. Keep the current setup and just add another new attribute, neo level. Just leave all the milestones alone and add a separate part for the newer ps level. It wouldn't hurt to have both available for sorting in leaderboards and actually I would find it interesting to see the difference. The milestones are part of this site and have only really mattered here, so leave them be.

Good idea.

3 hours ago, Grotz99 said:

Sorry to hear about indivisible :(

RIP 100 percent account. @Cassylvania has one of the best trophy profiles in my opinion.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I also started Children of Zodiarcs, which is closer to what I thought Fell Seal would be like. Pretty neat game.

Yes, it is. I enjoyed playing it. And the Soundtrack hits home.

8 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Ouch. Hopefully you you'll stick to the account; it'd be a real waste. Or they patch it up as their last action if they are releasing Co-op for Switch still?

7 hours ago, Arcesius said:

How is that affecting your motivation to keep going with your profile? I ask because of the multiple accounts you've had in the past, I hope this is not a trigger for you to drop your current account! 

Eh... Between PSNP getting rid of my original milestones, Sony getting rid of my level up milestones, the new points system being hilariously awful, and Indivisible's DLC ruining any chance of a 100% account...yeah, it's starting to feel a little pointless. In the past, I probably would've made a new account, but I'm experienced enough to know that it doesn't matter. Any time you think something is going well, there will always be something out of your control that comes along and changes that.

That's one good thing about being an old dog. I'm not going to fall for old tricks.

11 hours ago, Grotz99 said:

It's a nice idea, but I don't think very many people planned out level up milestones. I only started doing it because PSNP took away my other milestones. If they didn't care about it then, I don't see why they would now.

6 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

Ouch. Hopefully you you'll stick to the account; it'd be a real waste. Or they patch it up as their last action if they are releasing Co-op for Switch still?

Nah, they're claiming they never received the build for the fixes. From what I hear, the build is done, nearly done, or wouldn't take very long to create, but 505 can't or won't test it. I don't know. They've been very mum on the subject.

I feel worse for the people who spent thousands of dollars to get their characters added to the game. All that content is mostly done too and will never see the light of day.

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

I feel worse for the people who spent thousands of dollars to get their characters added to the game. All that content is mostly done too and will never see the light of day.

That's why croudfunding projects should have mandatory insurance above a certain amount of funding.The way it is now, it's an open invitation for scamming (or lazyness at best).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Eh... Between PSNP getting rid of my original milestones, Sony getting rid of my level up milestones, the new points system being hilariously awful, and Indivisible's DLC ruining any chance of a 100% account...yeah, it's starting to feel a little pointless. In the past, I probably would've made a new account, but I'm experienced enough to know that it doesn't matter. Any time you think something is going well, there will always be something out of your control that comes along and changes that.

That's one good thing about being an old dog. I'm not going to fall for old tricks.

Got to agree with everything you said. 

That’s why I will never invest in a MMO ever again. The amount of time I spent on Runescape and World of Warcraft is absurd. But both games had their developers change things to the point where I was just wasting my time leveling up my characters. 

The new points system has DLC content and non-platinum games worth even less. Shame, because I actually enjoyed looking at your milestones and now it was all for naught. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spaz said:

The new points system has DLC content and non-platinum games worth even less. Shame, because I actually enjoyed looking at your milestones and now it was all for naught. 

They changed again too. Not sure why, but all my level up milestones are completely different from what they were last night. Let's take a look and see if we can find anything interesting, before they change again...

*this is me leaving a dramatic pause in the text to make it look like I'm currently scanning the new milestones*

Well, I like having To Rule Them All as my first (read: 10th) milestone. Got some cool platinums in there too from some of my favorite games, including Bloodborne, Valkyria Chronicles, The Wolf Among Us, and...Phil. They made Phil's Freakin' Adventure a milestone. Well, if that just doesn't take the piss.

I like seeing True Commitment from Tomb Raider as a milestone. The TRUE commitment is that I've done that trophy three times now. Using the solo method every time. Saviour of Sylvea...sorta works with my PSN ID. My Friends Call Me Monster from Goosebumps is nice, and much better than the one I got for my poorly planned 1k milestone. Got a Shantae milestone, but the image is a man in a sub outfit. Not what I would've gone with. Got a Star Wars one... That's cute. Dragon's Dogma is trolling us with a "Reached LV 100" trophy as level 400, which is probably better than anything I would've planned out. And...well, the rest are pretty much shit. Thanks, Sony.

I'm hoping we can someday see ALL the level up milestones. I'd love to see Bloodborne, Tomb Raider, and Shadow of Mordor take up 90 of the first 100 levels.

Oh, and did I mention I started Bloodstained: CotM? Yeah, I don't think 505 Games had anything to do with this one. Just RotN. We'll see if I actually play the sequel...

• Like 2

Times like these I'm really glad I don't care that much about completion. With my erratic gaming style (and even worse purchasing habits), I inevitably end up playing way more than I can finish. Still, a shame that Lab Zero is gone; I never got that far into Skull Girls, but they had a very unique art style and it's sad to see them go. I suppose Indivisible not being that good was the nail in the coffin for them.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Times like these I'm really glad I don't care that much about completion. With my erratic gaming style (and even worse purchasing habits), I inevitably end up playing way more than I can finish. Still, a shame that Lab Zero is gone; I never got that far into Skull Girls, but they had a very unique art style and it's sad to see them go. I suppose Indivisible not being that good was the nail in the coffin for them.

A lot of shit has gone on both with me and the time period we live in.

Then Sony not only changes the trophy system but is now making it to where PS3/Vita games can no longer be found and bought off the browser/mobile versions of the PS Store. PS4 avatars/themes will also become unavailable.

Between all that and the political mess the USA is currently in, I just went in here and made a whiny rant on the changes. 

I sort of wish we could customize our profiles here a bit more so they stand out, but that is merely wistful thinking.

• Like 3

On 10/10/2020 at 6:14 PM, Cassylvania said:

Yeah for sure, and I'm glad to read that you'll keep going with your profile :) I honestly don't know how I would feel in a situation like that. 

Remnant: From the Ashes had a glitched Trophy in the last DLC, and I hated waiting for a patch ? To be fair, I probably don't stand a chance at a 100% profile because of NecroDancer, but at least I know it's due to my lack of skill / time, not due to incompetence. 

There is even one dude that hid his Sky Jumping Pro VR to maintain a 100% account when it turned out to be unobtainable, and the devs / publishers didn't adress the issue. That's imo way worse than just keeping the game unhidden, knowing you can't truly get to 100%. 

As for the milestones... meh. They seem pretty arbitrary, they don't include 100% games without platinums (why have a milestone for the 50th plat, not for the 50th 100%-completed game? I know, DLC would mess things up, but still), and they can change at any point. 

So, I haven't mentioned this game in a long while now, but... Furi? ?

• Like 1