Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

9 hours ago, Grotz99 said:

Even though they are the sworn enemies of the Vikings (whom I have friends that are avid fans of) I became a Packers fan because of Aaron Rogers, dude is just fun to watch and now with Aaron Jones and Devante Adams, they make some awesome plays. Plus what's not to love about cheese?

Makes sense. I don't think I would be a true Vikings fan today if it wasn't for Randy Moss. He just came around at a time when I was kinda into football, but didn't have anything or anybody to rally around. Seeing him shred the Cowboys on Thanksgiving Day is still one of my favorite NFL memories. ?

The Packers have a lot of fans because of three great quarterbacks and their storied history, not because people live in Green Bay.

I think the thing I hate most about sports -- football, in particular -- is that there's no inherent loyalty among players. Fans are expected to stick with the same team ("laundry, not the name on the back"), but players and coaches get moved around all the time. Just this season, I saw a slew of former Vikings on the Bills, Browns, and *gasp* Cowboys. How am I supposed to accept this?

I don't know how it could be "fixed," but I do notice a part of my interest in a team goes away every year when I have to watch my favorite players get traded away or lost to free agency. It's just not the same when you see Diggs catching passes from Josh Allen or Adrian Peterson fumbling for someone else. If anything, I feel like I secretly want Buffalo or Arizona to do well, because that little part of me still wants to see them succeed. (Is that who AP plays for now? I lost track.)

Sometimes it's hard to rally around someone. Favre was a hard pill to swallow. I imagine it would be the same for Steelers fans, if Brady had gotten traded to Pittsburgh instead.

I hope Rodgers retires with GB. As much as I wish he'd disappear to the AFC South, I don't feel like a Vikings' victory over the Packers would be the same if Rodgers was in a different jersey.

On 1/28/2021 at 8:42 PM, Cassylvania said:

You know, it's occurred to me that I really should be reviewing the trophies of a game, rather than the quality of the game itself. After all, you can go almost anywhere to find out what people think about a game. Metacritic. IGN. Wikipedia. YouTube comments. The bargain bin at Walmart. But where can you go to find out if a game is worth your time trophy-wise? That should be my gimmick going forward.

Hahah I 100% agree with this. I mean, I 1000% think you SHOULD include what you think about the game. It'd be a disservice to completely ignore it's quality in favor of "yea the trophies were aight you should get this" if the game was just whatever. But one of the biggest reasons I love reading peoples trophy cabinets is saying how the hell they handled the platinium-tackling experience ESPECIALLY if it's someone who plays obscure / indie games with maybe a few hundred achievers at most. I know how to get the plat in Ghost of Tsushima. Everybody and their grandma has done it. But if you could include specific/tips/tricks or just how the overall experience was handled(was it surprisingly straight forward? did you suffer? can you alleviate the suffering of others by telling them a good order to do things? - specifically on a game with maybe 20 platinum achievers? 1000% would be a life-saver.

But yea! Hope you keep having fun with Slay the Spire(I know the Ascension grind is ROUGH and some of the parameters for the unique trophies without save scumming are brutal. But besides that I also see you're playing Aven Colony. I played it in January back at the start of 2020 and enjoyed it so hope you do as well! Has some neat futuristic characteristics. 

• Like 1

On football, I wait patiently year after year for it to be a good season. Things were starting to look up and then after one season with a new coach, the last two have been shite. I aslo hate seeing players that used to be a Bear on another team. I am hoping the QB situation is resolved and to get a few wide receivers. It seems we can nver have the balance of a good offence and defense at the same time. The last time the offense was really good Jay Cutler was the QB and both WR and the TE were over 6"3. We were like the # 2 offense but the defense stunk so bad we were never on the field. It is a sad time overall for Chicago sports, all of my teams are rebuild mode, except NorthWestern, which will be favs for Big 10 west for some time to come. 

• Like 1

On 1/30/2021 at 5:51 PM, realm722 said:

But yea! Hope you keep having fun with Slay the Spire(I know the Ascension grind is ROUGH and some of the parameters for the unique trophies without save scumming are brutal. But besides that I also see you're playing Aven Colony. I played it in January back at the start of 2020 and enjoyed it so hope you do as well! Has some neat futuristic characteristics. 

I've had my eye on Aven Colony for a while. I'll save my thoughts for the review (since I will presumably have the plat soon), but I do want to say that I became a god in Slay the Spire tonight. I've been having a rough go with the game lately. Most of my runs have ended in disaster. I managed to beat the game with every character now, but some of the random trophies were giving me trouble. Until my last two runs. In the first run, I got Dropkick early and had enough remove card offers to get Minimalist (despite getting the time snail boss). That also helped me to get Purity (still don't understand the trophy requirements) and You Are Nothing, which I was worried about. (I actually would've gotten that latter trophy twice. ?) In the second run, I thought I'd try the next ascension with the same infinite deck strategy just for laughs, but it quickly flamed out when Dropkick was nowhere to be found. I had a Feed, which I had in my first run too, and I somehow made it to the donut boss, despite having almost no health for the majority of the run. That's four trophies...on a night when I was only trying for one!

I still don't know who I'll be taking to A20.

On 1/30/2021 at 6:07 PM, Rally-Vincent--- said:

That would be a step backwards. I mostly skip trophy-parts of user reviews (only looking for the word "bugged). If someone rates a game, I'm interested in what they think about the game, not the trophies - and certainly not from random dudes on the internet who think anything that they don't like is some [label]-agenda "shoved down" their "throat".

Fair enough. I just thought SotN was so bland that I was better off remarking on its trophies than its gameplay or story.

I'll have a lot more to say about my current active games, if I ever get around to finishing them. (Seriously, Big Game January became Big Grind January, and I still don't feel I got anywhere.)

On 1/30/2021 at 9:37 PM, kingofbattle8174 said:

On football, I wait patiently year after year for it to be a good season. Things were starting to look up and then after one season with a new coach, the last two have been shite. I aslo hate seeing players that used to be a Bear on another team. I am hoping the QB situation is resolved and to get a few wide receivers. It seems we can nver have the balance of a good offence and defense at the same time. The last time the offense was really good Jay Cutler was the QB and both WR and the TE were over 6"3. We were like the # 2 offense but the defense stunk so bad we were never on the field. It is a sad time overall for Chicago sports, all of my teams are rebuild mode, except NorthWestern, which will be favs for Big 10 west for some time to come. 

That's how I feel with the Vikings. Since Zimmer became coach, it's like they only know how to play defense in odd numbered years.

Who do you want QBing the Bears next year? (Assuming they don't have the goods to get in the Watson sweepstakes.)

• Like 3

On 1/28/2021 at 9:46 PM, Briste said:

I don't really agree with that. My first 'favorite' football team growing up was the Miami Dolphins, and I picked them solely because I loved Dolphins. I didn't know anything about football at the time, but if you'd have asked 8 year old me who my favorite team was, I'd have said the Dolphins. The only reason I actually became a Patriots fan was because when I actually started to take an interest in learning/watching football, that was the game on TV in my area every weekend. Well, I guess it was them or the Giants/Jets, but I hated NY teams because of the Yankees so it was always going to be the Patriots for me.

A lot of people pick their favorite team when they are young. If you aren't born into a family that roots for a specific team, you pretty much have carte blanche to pick whoever you want. My immediate family didn't watch football when I was a kid, so I had some freedom to pick whoever.A lot of people probably pick based on their geographic location, which is how I ended up following the Patriots as a kid (plus all my other teams were out of Boston) I was born into a Red Sox and Celtics household, so I didn't have much choice there. But when you're little, picking a team based on their mascot is not that uncommon.

My son has no idea what is going on on the TV, but he knows I like the Patriots so he'll root for them when they are on. If I'm watching another game, he'll always root for his favorite mascot. My Aunt was a Vikings fan because she liked the nickname 'Purple People Eaters'. My grandfather was a huge Bart Starr fan in college and ended up being a Packers fan even though we lived in New England. People who tend to pick their favorite team based on who has the best players are usually bandwagon fans or 'pink hats'. One of my good friends has a great saying 'You root for the laundry, not the name on the back of the jersey'. By and large I agree with that. I will always root for the Patriots, but Tom Brady has been my favorite player since he took over for Bledsoe. Because of that, I'll root for the Bucs if they aren't playing the Patriots...but the Bucs aren't my team. As Super Bowl champs or 7-9, I root for the laundry above all.

I'm not a big football guy, never was and probably never will be. Outside of a few players I watched in my youth; Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, Jerry Rice and a few others, I didn't care enough about the sport outside of the Superbowl.

Some kids in my final days of high school and early beginnings at college got me into football somewhat. Followed the Seattle Seahawks to their Superbowl in 2006. Mike Holmgren, Shaun Alexander, Matt Hasselbeck. But it was never because of their mascot or their colors, in fact I thought they were stupid. As a baseball buff I was a big Seattle Mariners fan before they turned to shit. Ichiro Suzuki whom to this day is one of my favorite sports athletes, watched him play every other day for over a decade. Again, not because of the colors or their mascot. Their logo is pretty bland to be honest.

I've gone back and forth on sports. I'll be the first to tell you I love the hell out of Michael Jordan, but I cannot stand Lebron James. I wouldn't pay any money to see him in basketball court. That's a generation thing I guess, you probably saw more of Jordan than I did, but many kids love Lebron. I for one can't stand his character at all. Same thing with WWE. Don't like any of the new wrestlers. The Undertaker and The Rock, two of my favorite wrestlers ever, so there you go.

I come from a family that was heavily involved in sports, but my immediate family couldn't care less about it. There's been a lot less viewing since COVID-19.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2021 at 8:24 PM, Cassylvania said:

I've had my eye on Aven Colony for a while. I'll save my thoughts for the review (since I will presumably have the plat soon), but I do want to say that I became a god in Slay the Spire tonight. I've been having a rough go with the game lately. Most of my runs have ended in disaster. I managed to beat the game with every character now, but some of the random trophies were giving me trouble. Until my last two runs. In the first run, I got Dropkick early and had enough remove card offers to get Minimalist (despite getting the time snail boss). That also helped me to get Purity (still don't understand the trophy requirements) and You Are Nothing, which I was worried about. (I actually would've gotten that latter trophy twice. 1f602.png) In the second run, I thought I'd try the next ascension with the same infinite deck strategy just for laughs, but it quickly flamed out when Dropkick was nowhere to be found. I had a Feed, which I had in my first run too, and I somehow made it to the donut boss, despite having almost no health for the majority of the run. That's four trophies...on a night when I was only trying for one!

Very nice job on those! As I've started to play the game, I've been thinking in the back of my mind what decks would be best to tackle those and will probably figure it out by the time I go for ascension 20. The other trophy that is going to be tough is beating it in under 20 minutes. I figure I'll have memorized the pictures enough to just play cards instantly and know what relics I have, but right now it's taking me over an hour per run. Routes will also make a big deal, as some I've had combat twice in an act and others I've gotten really unlucky with question marks.

4 hours ago, Grotz99 said:

Very nice job on those! As I've started to play the game, I've been thinking in the back of my mind what decks would be best to tackle those and will probably figure it out by the time I go for ascension 20. The other trophy that is going to be tough is beating it in under 20 minutes. I figure I'll have memorized the pictures enough to just play cards instantly and know what relics I have, but right now it's taking me over an hour per run. Routes will also make a big deal, as some I've had combat twice in an act and others I've gotten really unlucky with question marks.

I've thought about save scumming it. If you save at the start a run, figure out what cards/relics you can get and when, then it's basically like speedrunning any other game. Probably helps to have a build that can kill things quickly, though.

I had a pretty hilarious run last night on A6 with Barricade/Brimstone/Searing Blow +8. The latter two have obvious synergy, but being able to build up block every turn helps to negate the downside of Brimstone. It's too bad it's very unlikely you'll ever have the same deck twice. I would love to do that again.

I've decided to attempt A20 on Ironclad. I know Defect is probably easier, but I feel between Corruption and Snecko Eye, I'll always have at least one out when things get tough. Defect seems more like you actually need to know how to play.

The Watcher feels like playing four-dimensional chess.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

In over 100 hours, I got that combo exactly once.

Me too. There were even some relics, like Self-Forming Clay, that I never saw until I was almost finished with the game.

Anyway... We had a rare double plat day yesterday. I guess the trophy gods were feeling generous.

Platinum #240 - Aven Colony

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/639fa8/trophies/1Le46798.png

If Slay the Spire is the standard for deck-building games (which does seem to be the case, considering how many clones there are out there), then Cities: Skylines is the standard for city-building games. And while I don't think Aven Colony comes close to meeting that standard, it's a decent game in its own right. If you're new to city-builders or don't want to spend 300+ hours waiting for a blue tornado to appear, then Cities: Skylines Lite might be just the game you're looking for.

There's probably a sandbox mode, but I don't see a reason to play that. You're mostly going to be navigating through a series of increasingly harder story missions that have you trying to create a fully functioning society in a futuristic alien world. You need to build mines to harvest for resources, grow crops and other weird plants for trade and manufacturing, and try to fend off shard storms and this nasty stuff called creep that will surely destroy your first city because you weren't prepared for it. The problem is, once you are prepared...there's really no challenge here. Every map can basically be tackled the same way. Probably on any difficulty. Food is VERY easy to farm (you're more likely to run out of storage space than inventory), a few turrets will take care of any external threats, and the only losing condition I know of (i.e. losing a referendum) isn't even a problem once you realize you just need to build an excessive amount of air filters to keep your people happy. Seriously, why do these assholes want to breathe so badly?

I don't really understand the mechanics of the game. You don't really need to. I'm going to assume it's more efficient to have tunnels connecting your buildings, but you could just stack buildings on top of each other if you want. In fact, it's probably better to have a condensed city because you can get by with a smaller amount of shared resources. I very rarely expanded out past the starting area, except on the one or two missions that required it. The only reason to would be to build additional mines or geothermal generators, but you'll probably finish the mission before your original mines are tapped out and you can just as easily generate electricity by using solar panels. You need 200 of them for a trophy anyway.

Speaking of trophies, there's a speedrun trophy for some reason and another for beating a map on the highest difficulty, but I did them both on the first map on my first try. The rest will probably come naturally or with little effort on your part.

There's a story here, but it's not worth mentioning.

The voice acting is okay. I honestly wasn't listening to it much.

This is one of those rare sims that I think can be beaten in under 20 hours, but I probably spent a little longer than that on it. You guys know the formula I use to judge what a game is worth, but I think $20 might be a tad too high for a game that doesn't have a whole lot of extra content after the first two or three missions...so I'd honestly wait for a sale or even for it to be offered for free on PS+. It feels like something you'd get for free on mobile.

Is that too harsh?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like a ridiculous plat. I have to admit, my interest in JRPGs has diminished over the years because so many have grind-for-grind's-sake grind in it. But then I play a game like Cyberpunk 2077, and most of the side stuff I did in Act 1 is a group of enemy NPCs grouped in a building or around a loot item.

It has to mean something when the game I enjoeyed most in the last six months was a VN - 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Well, if you haven't looked at my profile and gasped in horror lately, you'll notice I decided to start both an XCOM clone (Phantom Doctrine) and a Dark Souls clone (Lords of the Fallen). I can see why reviews are mixed on both. I probably like them a bit more than the average person because I'm willing to look past flaws in genres I love, but both games really dropped the ball when it comes to combat (PD because it actively discourages it and LotF because it's like playing encumbered all the time). Fortunately, I don't think they're going to be as long or as hard as the games they were inspired by.

Phantom Doctrin's is an espionage game, so being able to do stuff with some Agents with the actor perk without combat is a cool element, I think. The campaign isn't as long as XCOM 2's. It just feels long, as the map variety isn't that great. What worked best for me was taking out their bases/cells rather than preventing their missions. Less tedious fights that way. When I think of it, games like that really would benefit from random map generation. That would keeps things fresh, because non-story missions can drain the fun out if the combat isn't thrilling.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Well, if you haven't looked at my profile and gasped in horror lately, you'll notice I decided to start both an XCOM clone (Phantom Doctrine) and a Dark Souls clone (Lords of the Fallen). I can see why reviews are mixed on both. I probably like them a bit more than the average person because I'm willing to look past flaws in genres I love, but both games really dropped the ball when it comes to combat (PD because it actively discourages it and LotF because it's like playing encumbered all the time). Fortunately, I don't think they're going to be as long or as hard as the games they were inspired by. We don't need another DQH2 on our hands.

Lords of the Fallen won't be as bad as...what even DQH2 is xD but the first level is the best part of the game. It gets gradually worse the more you play, the DLC is absolutely trash and the final boss...better just glitch it through the wall like everyone else does. It's a broken ass boss that just one shots you on NG+ onwards no matter of your build. You can beat him legit but by the time you reach the end you'll be tired of the game anyway.

Reason why this game is UR is because not many bother to do 3 playthroughs of this turd.

Edited by Copanele
  • Like 3

I'm here to say two things. First, even though it sounds like you had a terrible time with whatever that game is you just platted, I really enjoyed reading the review ? There are games that despite the horrible RNG-heavy grind are still so good that you don't notice time passing. This doesn't seem to be the case there ?

Secondly, Lords of the Fallen.. I also belong to that group of people that actually had "fun" with the game... or rather, kept making fun of the game as I was playing it ?. As @Copanele mentioned, it just gets worse and worse, and the bosses just all feel the same. But the worst part definitely is that piece of garbage they released as DLC... ? Holy hell that is so freaking bad it's not even funny. 

The studio unfortunately has a poor track record when it comes to DLC.. they also released the "Complete Edition" of The Surge and when they noticed that they needed more money (for The Surge 2), they released yet another reeeeeeally bad DLC, removed the "Complete Edition" from the store and started selling the "Augmented Edition" instead. It was a really shitty move, and the DLC was so fucking bad it made me mad. But the LofF DLC is still worse ?

Anyways I'm curious.. have you tried the Ys Origin Boss rush yet on Nightmare or whatever? Did the game crash for you yet?

• Like 3

On 2/20/2021 at 2:52 PM, Cassylvania said:

Platinum #241 - Dragon Quest Heroes II

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/23010e/trophies/1L6455bb.png

But don't worry. That's the least of your problems. You're going to have to kill every monster hundreds of times anyway because each of them has a very low chance of dropping a monster medal, which lets you briefly summon that monster in battle. Yeah. You're gonna need one from every monster in the game for a trophy.

"But wait, C-Dawg," you say. "I thought we wanted an uber."

The game doesn't care what you want. Welcome to the middle finger lottery. Step right up, ladies and gentleman, and witness the pure gamble that comes from turning a would be weapon into an actual weapon! Only 50k a ticket. Yes, the game charges you FIFTY THOUSAND GOLD to “appraise” a would be weapon, which then has a CHANCE of becoming an uber weapon. That's maybe a bit too harsh. It actually has a really good chance of becoming an uber weapon. The problem is twofold. First, it could become a giga weapon. What the fuck is a "giga weapon," you ask? It's nothing. It doesn’t even count for the trophy. It's just a DLC weapon for a DLC character for the multiplayer that nobody plays. And there are a bunch of them. Almost as many as playable characters in the game. That's right -- all your favorite scrubs from DQH1 are back to take your ubers away. The second problem is THERE IS NOTHING STOPPING YOU FROM GETTING DUPLICATES. GUYS. GUYS. WHY IS THIS A THING?

I AM NOT EVEN DONE.

Think you can scam the system? Think you can save scum  to get the weapon you need? Did you SEE Teresa and Lazarel's face up there? They drink your gamer tears. I didn't even know this was possible, but the seed is set before you EVEN PICK UP THE WOULD BE WEAPON. Let me reiterate: your "random" reward is pre-determined. If you do Bad Guys' Base three times, get a would be weapon each time (unlikely, since you can also get trash), appraise all three to see what you get, and then restart the game, you'll get the same three weapons in the same order if you do it again. So, with something like 16 ubers in the game and a bunch of useless gigas, your odds of getting a weapon you need begins to diminish fast. And just to REALLY rub salt in the wound, you have to appraise weapons IN THE ORDER IN WHICH YOU RECEIVE THEM. So, even if you know the first three are duplicates, you can't check the fourth one until you pay 200k (150k for the first three + 50k for the fourth).

I know you guys would prefer hearing my opinion of a game over its trophy list, but here's the thing: there is nothing separating this from DQH1. From what I can tell, they just used the same engine and character models. Most of the cast is from previous games (I assume, since every one of their intros plays out like a undeserved wink and nod to the player), and the plot around the two main characters is so bland that I didn't even realize the "twist" was supposed to be a twist because I assumed that was the story all along.

Cassy... Cassy... Cassy... the entire time I was reading this all I could think was "You did it to yourself!! You played the original DQ Heroes in 2015. I can't save you if you don't wanna be saved" and my lord... I knew the DQ Heroes 2 platinum was rough, but good lord - seeing the sheer amount of content, combined with the fact you managed to do it in close to 2 months - while in the 100% fastest completed category there are people who completed it in 1-2 weeks (someone check in and make sure those people are okay). Damn near 200 hours doesn't even compute for me unless it was multiple people on 1 account taking turns. 

When I read "random reward is pre-determined" I'm now convinced these games are some devilish plot by developer Omega Force to torture completionists. That's genuinely vile. But the real kicker was for me at the end to read that next to nothing has changed from DQH1 except for some enhanced visuals. It really is, were the 60 hours for the 1st game not enough for you? Here's 200 more. If anything, I'm glad it gave us one of your best rant post reviews yet and you always get a hearty chuckle out of me whenever you drop a sudden "C-Dawg" in them. Hopefully you take it easy on the multi-hundred hour games for now(I'm glad you loved Slay the Spire as much as I did tho) and enjoy a few more leisure experiences. Hell, maybe play a few way more difficult games that are far shorter would be great switch-up for the monotony. I'm gonna try taking on Furi soon enough since I picked it up cheap for $5, and while I'm scared I'll get my ass kicked we can suffer together(you've def collected a resumé lengthy enough for me to say you can handle it)

• Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 5:26 AM, Rally-Vincent--- said:

Phantom Doctrin's is an espionage game, so being able to do stuff with some Agents with the actor perk without combat is a cool element, I think. The campaign isn't as long as XCOM 2's. It just feels long, as the map variety isn't that great. What worked best for me was taking out their bases/cells rather than preventing their missions. Less tedious fights that way. When I think of it, games like that really would benefit from random map generation. That would keeps things fresh, because non-story missions can drain the fun out if the combat isn't thrilling.

Yeah, Actor perk + stealth seems to be the way to go. But in that case, I think Invisible, Inc. did it better, since the whole game was built around the stealth mechanic (something I usually hate in games). I think it's OK. I'm glad to hear the campaign isn't very long because I don't think it's going to hold my interest as long as XCOM.

On 2/21/2021 at 5:48 AM, Copanele said:

Lords of the Fallen won't be as bad as...what even DQH2 is xD but the first level is the best part of the game. It gets gradually worse the more you play, the DLC is absolutely trash and the final boss...better just glitch it through the wall like everyone else does. It's a broken ass boss that just one shots you on NG+ onwards no matter of your build. You can beat him legit but by the time you reach the end you'll be tired of the game anyway.

Reason why this game is UR is because not many bother to do 3 playthroughs of this turd.

I've found ways to cheese most bosses. ? My favorite was the Guardian, who was a total asshole to fight normally. The downtime they gave you between attacks is...bad. Like, enemy design overall is bad. Bosses are just reskins of other enemies, who are in turn reskins of each other. They're all just dudes in armor (a complaint I always hear about DS2, even though I thought the variety was fine).

I'm almost done with my third playthrough. Kinda taking my time because I missed a few trophies on the first two playthroughs (like the potion upgrade, which probably would've been useful on NG+), and I really don't want to risk a fourth run.

On 2/21/2021 at 2:58 PM, Arcesius said:

Secondly, Lords of the Fallen.. I also belong to that group of people that actually had "fun" with the game... or rather, kept making fun of the game as I was playing it 1f605.png. As @Copanele mentioned, it just gets worse and worse, and the bosses just all feel the same. But the worst part definitely is that piece of garbage they released as DLC... 1f633.png Holy hell that is so freaking bad it's not even funny. 

The studio unfortunately has a poor track record when it comes to DLC.. they also released the "Complete Edition" of The Surge and when they noticed that they needed more money (for The Surge 2), they released yet another reeeeeeally bad DLC, removed the "Complete Edition" from the store and started selling the "Augmented Edition" instead. It was a really shitty move, and the DLC was so fucking bad it made me mad. But the LofF DLC is still worse 1f602.png

I'm probably going to end up in the same group as you. I liked the game for maybe...the first six hours or so? The dip in quality after the first area is REALLY noticeable. I didn't even bother with the story in the second half. I have no clue who these characters or are why it matters. Harkyn doesn't seem to care either. I just gave him the voice of Lennie from Of Mice and Men in my head and run around screaming, "I WANNA PET THE RABBITS, GEORGE!" as I hack through enemies. That's the only way I can enjoy this game.

And yes, that's something I do often.

On 2/21/2021 at 2:58 PM, Arcesius said:

Anyways I'm curious.. have you tried the Ys Origin Boss rush yet on Nightmare or whatever? Did the game crash for you yet?

I tried it a few times. It crashed once or twice, but I couldn't get by the second boss anyway.

3 hours ago, realm722 said:

When I read "random reward is pre-determined" I'm now convinced these games are some devilish plot by developer Omega Force to torture completionists. That's genuinely vile. But the real kicker was for me at the end to read that next to nothing has changed from DQH1 except for some enhanced visuals. It really is, were the 60 hours for the 1st game not enough for you? Here's 200 more. If anything, I'm glad it gave us one of your best rant post reviews yet and you always get a hearty chuckle out of me whenever you drop a sudden "C-Dawg" in them. Hopefully you take it easy on the multi-hundred hour games for now(I'm glad you loved Slay the Spire as much as I did tho) and enjoy a few more leisure experiences. Hell, maybe play a few way more difficult games that are far shorter would be great switch-up for the monotony. I'm gonna try taking on Furi soon enough since I picked it up cheap for $5, and while I'm scared I'll get my ass kicked we can suffer together(you've def collected a resumé lengthy enough for me to say you can handle it)

Furi is in my backlog. I'm not sure how high up it is right now. It's kinda in that same pool as Sundered, Flinthook, and Risk of Rain, which are all fairly short (?) but somewhat difficult indie games that are supposed to be really good.

I opted to do Children of Morta first because it's shorter and easier than the rest of those.

And if you're wondering why I did DQH2, despite knowing what I was getting myself into...honestly, I liked DQH1. I don't mind mindless button-mashers. I can watch movies or work on other things while chipping away at some of the more annoying trophies out there. It's actually the games that require the most attention, like multiplayer and story-driven ones, that give me the most trouble because I'm not able to multitask. Probably why I make typos a lot. And why I submitted this post ten minutes before I was finished. I get distracted very easily.

What was I saying?

Oh, yeah. Bianca was cool.

Edited by Cassylvania

Hah nice outtake of Lords of the Fallen xD loved reading that. Now that I read your impressions, I think the greatest gripe with the game is ...I can't remember at all what the game was on about. It's not a "The room" level of videogame, but more like one of those B rate movies that you utterly forget and struggle to remember the plot. Except the DLC of course, because DLC sucks.

I played as an assassin and the game was even easier, believe it or not. Yes, equipped the same huge ultra mega greatsword that did ultra mega damage, but there were 2 skills, one where you became invisible and did even more ultra great damage with one strike, and one where you sent your shadow and kablam-ed the enemy/boss/poor barrel for stupid amounts of damage. Game is God of War-ish through and through.

On 2/26/2021 at 7:02 AM, Cassylvania said:

Well, Harkyn is fat. Sorry, but he is.

They really went literal with that "fat rolling" mechanic xD 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I don't know, guys. I think this is a game that's best played a couple of hours each night. I'm not sure if a guide is necessary. On one hand, I think you can figure out 90% of the game for yourself, but the fact that you can easily get stuck or sent back to an earlier save because you overlooked something or tried to solve a Psyche-Lock too early or showed the wrong piece of evidence at the wrong time makes me think maybe it's better to resort to a guide so you can just relax and enjoy the story. And it is a good story. I found myself invested in these character, even if their sprite animations are some of the most limited I've seen on the PS4.

Yeah, that's basically what I did when I played them as a kid. The games definitely show their age considering they're probably well over ten years old now. They were fun when I played them on the DS, but even then they had GBA graphics compared to the modern games, namely Apollo Justice. I hope we get the sequels on PS4 because I've played the first three to death. The Edgeworth investigation games were pretty fun too.

• Like 2