Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

24 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

The thing is, it's actually a better story than anything in Pokemon, outside of maybe the original anime. Who could forget the asshole trainer who left his Charmander to die, or Ash saying goodbye to Butterfree, or Meowth's tragic backstory, or the nightmare fuel that was Sabrina's entire character arc?

Yeh, I still remember those episodes fondly. The first gym battle against Brock was the very first episode of the anime I watched, which is what got me into Pokemon.

I have been singled out as the PSNP Interviews interviewee. If any of you was too uninterested to ask me something you'd like to know before, now there's your chance not to ask me something over there, too. Or you can break your habit and ask a question, whatever you prefer. Maybe something like:

Juc.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/12/2020 at 11:48 AM, Cassylvania said:

Platinum #234 - Nexomon: Extinction

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/ba3302/trophies/1L76a3d8.png

Oh hey! I bought this game right after it released because it'd been so long since I got to play a good Pokemon-esque game. The combat was definitely too shallow, and the story was a bit weird, but actually managed to be decent nonetheless. Definitely better than the washed up, go through eight gyms, fight a mob made up of many similarly dressed up henchmen, catch a cool Pokemon plotlines. It's definitely average JRPG-tier writing, but that still manages to be better than Pokemon tends to.

It's a cute little game for sure, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what the dev comes up with next. My one regret was that right after I bought it, the dev started adding a ton of quality of life features which came as I was finishing my playthrough up. Probably would have made it easier to get a better time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

I'm afraid to ask what the game was like before. I don't think I saw any updates while I was playing. (Unlike Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin, which drops a new patch every time I turn on my PS4.)

But hey, if you like games that are suspiciously close to popular Nintendo franchises, have I got a treat for you...

Well, they didn't have running shoes, no healing crystals, and IIRC they added a bunch of new power up items. The exp share crystals got added right near the end of my run. They've probably added a bunch of new stuff since I played last besides that. On the one hand, I'm glad I waited long enough to get the EXP share, but on the other hand, I was originally hoping to be 10th or so on the first achievers, not 19th. Oh well.

I'd completely forgotten about Bug Fables! I need to add that to my psprices wishlist. I've got a growing list of 15-20$ indie games that I've wanted to play for years, but haven't because I keep buying games on sale instead.

• Like 1

nice list of games, I really should give sekiro a go. just very daunting. I love the aesthetic of darkest dungeon but i prefer games where i just act and get in the rythym of the game rather then stop and think, my tactical skills suck unless it's just on the fly.

i recommend you try remnant from the ashes one day. it's similar to souls/bloodborne but a third person shooter more then a combat game, and is more of a old skool shooter then a new cover shooter like division or gears or whatever. bad timing on rolls is punished, plenty of rough bosses on a similar difficulty level or more so then souls trilogy. and overall very satosfying to finish, dlc is mental though.

right now im looking for a fairly quick but non cheesy game for my 99th p so i can have the new demons souls as my 100th. time to hunt through the lists :S

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2020 at 7:09 PM, Darling Baphomet said:

I'd completely forgotten about Bug Fables! I need to add that to my psprices wishlist. I've got a growing list of 15-20$ indie games that I've wanted to play for years, but haven't because I keep buying games on sale instead.

I imagine this Holiday Sale didn't help. I only picked up three games: Monster Sanctuary, Warsaw, and Wintermoor Tactics Club (which I'm pretty sure wasn't on sale). That puts me back over 100 in my PS4 library backlog. And to think I was close to 80 at one point...

On 12/20/2020 at 9:51 AM, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

nice list of games, I really should give sekiro a go. just very daunting. I love the aesthetic of darkest dungeon but i prefer games where i just act and get in the rythym of the game rather then stop and think, my tactical skills suck unless it's just on the fly.

i recommend you try remnant from the ashes one day. it's similar to souls/bloodborne but a third person shooter more then a combat game, and is more of a old skool shooter then a new cover shooter like division or gears or whatever. bad timing on rolls is punished, plenty of rough bosses on a similar difficulty level or more so then souls trilogy. and overall very satosfying to finish, dlc is mental though.

right now im looking for a fairly quick but non cheesy game for my 99th p so i can have the new demons souls as my 100th. time to hunt through the lists :S

Sekiro was OK. I liked Bloodborne (and obviously Dark Souls) much more. I'd put Sekiro about on par with Nioh, not only because they're similar games and I played them around the same time last year, but I think they both just fell short of capturing me the way the Soulsborne games did. Maybe I'm just not into ninjas.

Remnant from the Ashes, huh? Never heard of that one. I guess I can watch a few reviews...

Congrats on 100 plats! You couldn't have picked a better game. (I assume the remake is just as amazing as the original, if not more. It sure looks sexy from screenshots.)

Anyway, back to the post that I've been trying to make for past two weeks... *ahem*

Happy New Year, everybody! I know this thread has been kinda dead the last couple of months, but that's what happens when you try to juggle seven active games at once. And as you can see, I thought it'd be a good idea to add Dragon Quest Heroes II, with its ~200 hour grind, into the mix. It's almost like I have as little respect for my free time as the developers who make these trophy lists.

One tradition I don't think I've ever shared with you guys is BIG GAME JANUARY. What is Big Game January, you ask? Well, every January (give or take), I pick a ridiculously long RPG to play through. It's my way of coping with the long winter ahead. Up until now, winter has been magical, but these next two months are some of the slowest, most miserable weeks of the year. I'd say it's like what Frozen 2 was to the original, but I never saw it. I just wanted to get my obligatory Elsa reference in for the year.

Past BGJs have included Dragon Age: Inquisition (2016), Disgaea 5 (2016), World of Final Fantasy (2017), Horizon Zero Dawn (2018), XCOM (2019), and Kingdom Come: Deliverance (2020). I realize two of those are not technically RPGs. They were still long games.

Now, will DQH2 count as my BGJ or do I have something else in store? Is there a long RPG that I've had sitting on my shelf for an immeasurable amount of time, or has this shtick finally run its course? Tune in tomorrow... Same Cass time, same Cass channel.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

I imagine this Holiday Sale didn't help. I only picked up three games: Monster Sanctuary, Warsaw, and Wintermoor Tactics Club (which I'm pretty sure wasn't on sale). That puts me back over 100 in my PS4 library backlog. And to think I was close to 80 at one point...

Not at all, no. I have a tendency to drown my feelings in games, and... well... ended up buying something like 12-14 new games, one of which I've already platinumed (Jedi: Fallen Order) in the last month. Should probably put together a list of my current (soon to play) backlog for my trophy thread.

Let me know how Wintermoor Tactics Club is! I've been playing through Ikenfell (fantastic game) and someone suggested it as another good game with a similar style.

• Like 2

Long time no read Cass! Great to see you're still on the grind. After reading back through quite a bit of the old posts I have definitely found a few things to add to the back log.

Looking forward to seeing what comes out for your big game this January!

Edited by Dessane
  • Like 3

On 2.1.2021 at 5:13 AM, Darling Baphomet said:

Let me know how Wintermoor Tactics Club is! I've been playing through Ikenfell (fantastic game) and someone suggested it as another good game with a similar style.

I am not far in yet, but on my regular PS4, it has terrible loading times when exiting/entering any area on campus. Exploring is kind of a pain.

• Like 1

On 2.1.2021 at 5:13 AM, Darling Baphomet said:

Double posting just so it doesn't go under. I finished the game. It's short. The battles aren't that challenging, only getting battle ranks might be a bumper in one or the other battle . Only few enemy types on small maps. The battles are more like puzzles (max turns, max damage received etc influence battle rating).

The story felt like it is aimed at children/youths from 10 - 14 (except the ending). Reminds me of an anime/JRPG storyline. It has some humor mixed in. It's the be positive and make friends type of story. I had fun, but wouldn't want to make a second playthough.

Couple of missable trophies. I was lucky, I missed only one which was achievable though battle replays. No online.

Negative is how saves are handled. You have autosave and manual saves. If you save either way, it creates a new save (you can't save over). If you don't want to amass saves, you have to manually delete them through the load menu. That was a bit annoying.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2021 at 4:35 PM, Rally-Vincent--- said:

The story felt like it is aimed at children/youths from 10 - 14 (except the ending). Reminds me of an anime/JRPG storyline. It has some humor mixed in. It's the be positive and make friends type of story. I had fun, but wouldn't want to make a second playthough.

Good to know. We'll put this one pretty low on the priority list. I think I've bought three or four more games on the sale since I made that last post... This could end up being a very busy year.

Good job keeping the thread alive while I attempt to make progress in anything.

Platinum #236 - The Messenger

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/54a74b/trophies/1Lbf0d25.png

So, it's a 2D platformer that becomes a Metroidvania. I liked it, but I could've done without the collectibles. It just got really tedious backtracking all the time. Would've been nice if you could at least warp between save points, since you've already proven you can do all the platforming necessary to get there...

Solid game. Good music. Decent controls. Story...exists, I guess. Definitely worth checking out if you like retro games. Or if you're really getting sick of grinding in other games.

Looking at you, DQH2.

Looking at you, Slay the Spire.

Looking at you, Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep.

Looking at you, Ys Origin.

What have I gotten myself into...?

• Like 3

Really didn't like that one trophy in The Messenger that had you exploring a dark cave without any light. That basically requires a guide to get through it, which was well, stupid. The DLC was fairly decent, there were some tough platforming bits that immediately reminded me of the earlier bits in Super Meat Boy as far as precision goes. Big nod to the Super Punch Out reference at the end of that DLC, the developers were clearly Nintendo kids back in the day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

That's one notch worse than grinding - heavy RNG in during mid-run deckbuilding.

I know very little about card games but I feel that with less RNG StS would quickly become boring - as it is, I am still playing it regularly on the PC as each run is unique and I love it. But I do agree that trophy-wise there are a few that require a lot of luck, like Minimalist. And also, at least part of the RNG aspect of the game can be mitigated once you know the game better (and can work out less obvious synergies or predict some enemy actions etc.). 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2021 at 6:07 AM, det_gittes said:

I know very little about card games but I feel that with less RNG StS would quickly become boring - as it is, I am still playing it regularly on the PC as each run is unique and I love it. But I do agree that trophy-wise there are a few that require a lot of luck, like Minimalist. And also, at least part of the RNG aspect of the game can be mitigated once you know the game better (and can work out less obvious synergies or predict some enemy actions etc.). 

I think StS is one of those games that would've benefitted from having a progression-only trophy list. I keep failing runs because I see an opportunity to maybe go for one of those random trophies, but it never works out. The rest of the game is just so well-designed that it seems bizarre the developers threw those in there in the first place.

Anyway, if this hasn't become obvious by now, we've entered a very dark area in my gaming career, guys. Between Ice Cream Beat/Mysterious Figure, Ys' Nightmare Boss Rush crashes, DQH2 wanting to suck every second of free time out of my life, and StS's giant middle finger, I think I'm finally starting to feel the weight of trying to complete every game. I may not be able to finish any of these.

I need some time to figure this out. I figured maybe I'd take a voyage. On a ship, perhaps. Nothing bad ever happened on a ship, right?

Platinum #237 - Return of the Obra Dinn

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/d6b488/trophies/1L06d944.png

Somebody suggested this a while back. I finally got around to it.

First, I'm going to say I loved the art style. Not everybody will. I think a lot of horror games can get away with this because having that lack of color and lighting can make for a more immersive experience, but when you realize the majority of the game revolves around deduction, not being able to make out the things in front of you in full detail can be frustrating. This is one of those games where I think you need an imagination, which is...honestly, how a lot of games were back in the 80s. They gave you enough information to paint a picture of what you were looking at, but it was up to you to fill in the details. In that sense, the graphics actually work very well with what the rest of the game is doing.

So, what's it about? Basically, the Obra Dinn is a ship that had 60 people on board. They're now all dead or missing, and it's up to you to figure out what happened to each of them. To do this, you have a journal and a magical pocket watch that can let you witness a person's last moments on Earth. Come to think of it, the journal is kinda magical too, because it fills itself in... Hey, I said you need an imagination to play this.

It's a bit like Clue. You need to figure out who each person is (you have a manifest, so you at least know their names, and an artist's sketch of the whole crew), determine how they died (or escaped), and who/what killed them. This brings us to what I always think is one of the most interesting design choices in a game like this: how do you deal with correct/incorrect answers? If you're too lenient, the player could brute force it. If you're too strict, the player could get pissed off when they have to restart the entire chapter (more on this when I finish Phoenix Wright). Obra Dinn lets you guess as much as you want, but it doesn't let you know anything until you have three correct selections at the same time. You may or may not be able to find a way to abuse that. I did.

I'm not sure how well I played the game. I did everything without a guide except for one person, and that's because I didn't know what they wanted me to put for his cause of death. (I realize now there may be more than one "correct" solution.) I'm pretty sure I brute forced others. I don't want to say I did it on purpose, but sometimes it was like...OK, this is a Chinese name and this guy looks Chinese, so is it wrong of me to pick that? Turns out there may have been a better solution for that too.

So, yeah. We have a mystery here. That means I can't really talk much about the story, which is the best thing the game has going for it. I'd compare it to Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, where you feel you've entered the game after the most exciting thing has happened, but Obra Dinn is a lot less direct about it. You get to know or at least feel like you know the various crew members, even though the dialogue and visual details are very limited. I don't think I can think of another game that does that. Thomas Was Alone perhaps, but that had a narrator who more or less made the game. This feels different.

Definitely worth a buy, even just for the experience. I think $20 is a bit overpriced. You're certainly going to get more than 4-5 hours out of it if you're doing it legitimately (no clue why the only trophy guide says that), but I'd wait for a 50% off sale. Some games become exponentially better when you're not overpaying for them.

Thanks for the recommendation.

• Like 2

I watched a let's play of Obra Dinn and quite enjoyed it. I was too far in, though, to play it myself.

15 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Anyway, if this hasn't become obvious by now, we've entered a very dark area in my gaming career, guys. Between Ice Cream Beat/Mysterious Figure, Ys' Nightmare Boss Rush crashes, DQH2 wanting to suck every second of free time out of my life, and StS's giant middle finger, I think I'm finally starting to feel the weight of trying to complete every game. I may not be able to finish any of these.

A little here and little there goes a long way. As long as you mix something else that is fun in, I have no doubt you'll get there. Just don't force yourself to do it now-no-delay-thanks, I guess?

Edited by Rally-Vincent---

16 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Chinese name and this guy looks Chinese, so is it wrong of me to pick that

Return of the Obra Dinn is a game that I absolutely loved.  Its done by Lucas Pope the same guy that did Papers Please.  In some interviews he has said that he did intend for some guess work to both be possible, and at times be necessary.  

16 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

First, I'm going to say I loved the art style. Not everybody will.

I really like the art style visually, but sometimes I felt like it made it difficult to decipher between characters.  did you have this issue?

• Like 1

On 8.12.2020 at 1:48 AM, Cassylvania said:

Have you had a chance to try it (Empire of Sin)? I started to watch Christopher Odd's playthrough, but reviews so far seem overwhelmingly negative.

I started to play it, and I can give a first impression. The game is mostly an open-world management sim. Mostly you'll be managing your rackets, upgrading and guarding them. It's supposed to have depth, e.g. by the quality of the alcohol you produce vs. what tier is demanded by customers. Haven't really gotten deep into it yet. The world flows in real-time- Managing where to go and what to do takes time (in pause mode, you can't zoom out to the map). Probably better suited for keyboard/mouse then for a controller.

There is a diplomacy system where you can make deals with other Dons, have business synergies, or ally in a war. You can also go to war with them or have a non-aggression pact. In Open worls, you get missions (part caombat related, part simulation related).

It sound quite nice, but what I am doing is running around with my crew and attack building to make them rackets or defend mine against attacks. The combat is sub-par. It's the weak point. When you attack/defend a building, all fighters - yours and the enemies - scramble wildly around. Not sure if there is a system there. The inside battle fields are most small, some of medium size. The battles feel repetive and aren't not difficult, unless going up against a boss.

Troops have a skill tree system - one skill per tier. The have traits, up to two firearms, one melee weapon and armor and item slots. They cost upkeep and take a cut from your earnings (actually a neat system). They have relations to other mobsters (friend/foe). If they are a friend with an enemy, they might not shoot at them or even defect of you kill them. They also have a loyalty and a moral stat. Not sure yet how this is influencing things.

It's not a good and not a bad game. Mixed bag, I'd say, but you might be battling a lot, and it's the same old unless with a Boss (other Dons). If you are going there for turn based combat, it's probably not the game you want.

Also, a bit buggy on occasion.

Edited by Rally-Vincent---
  • Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 2:52 PM, Together_Comic said:

I really like the art style visually, but sometimes I felt like it made it difficult to decipher between characters.  did you have this issue?

I did. I feel like that was intentional, though.

On 1/24/2021 at 11:45 AM, Rally-Vincent--- said:

It's not a good and not a bad game. Mixed bag, I'd say, but you might be battling a lot, and it's the same old unless with a Boss (other Dons). If you are going there for turn based combat, it's probably not the game you want.

Yeah, it sounds disappointing. I'll keep an eye on it for a full review or maybe a few patches/price drops, but there are other turn-based combat games that I'd rather get to first. Phantom Doctrine, perhaps?

Platinum #238 - Spirit of the North

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/39e80a/trophies/1L38744d.png

You know, it's occurred to me that I really should be reviewing the trophies of a game, rather than the quality of the game itself. After all, you can go almost anywhere to find out what people think about a game. Metacritic. IGN. Wikipedia. YouTube comments. The bargain bin at Walmart. But where can you go to find out if a game is worth your time trophy-wise? That should be my gimmick going forward.

Why do I say that? Because fuck this game's trophies. I mean, the game looks nice. One of the reasons I became a Minnesota Vikings fan wasn't because I like sports or understand football -- I just like Nordic culture. And the environments here are great to look at while you're trying to figure out what the hell you're supposed to do. That's the problem with the game. No direction. No direction for the trophies either.

A game like this shouldn't have collectibles. I guess they're not technically missable since you can use chapter select after you finish the game, but good luck finding them without a guide. Hell, good luck finding them with a guide. You try to make a map of this game. Go ahead -- try it. The areas are big and everything looks the same. The game is at its worst in Chapter 7, where you have to wander around and interact with 28 identical-looking characters, many of whom are constantly moving and without any sort of tracker to help you. Doesn't help that everything is coated over in blue paint either.

The platinum rarity is more indicative of the length of the game than the requirements of the trophies. I'm not sure if it's better to do a blind playthrough first and then do a collectibles run, or to try to do everything in one shot. I feel like either way is going to ruin some of the enjoyment of the game, which is why I think the trophies are very poor. I give SotN's trophy list a C- out of 5.

I also played and finished Never Alone, which doesn't have a plat (but much better trophies). It's the month of the fox, I guess.

• Like 2

The game cover has fucking trophies on it which was probably already a sign Spirit of the North was going to suck for you.

48 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Why do I say that? Because fuck this game's trophies. I mean, the game looks nice. One of the reasons I became a Minnesota Vikings fan wasn't because I like sports or understand football -- I just like Nordic culture. And the environments here are great to look at while you're trying to figure out what the hell you're supposed to do. That's the problem with the game. No direction. No direction for the trophies either.

That's not a good reason to be a football fan. That's like saying I like the Oregon Ducks college football team because of their mascot, instead of the actual sport and the players who participate in it.

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

That's not a good reason to be a football fan. That's like saying I like the Oregon Ducks college football team because of their mascot, instead of the actual sport and the players who participate in it.

I don't really agree with that. My first 'favorite' football team growing up was the Miami Dolphins, and I picked them solely because I loved Dolphins. I didn't know anything about football at the time, but if you'd have asked 8 year old me who my favorite team was, I'd have said the Dolphins. The only reason I actually became a Patriots fan was because when I actually started to take an interest in learning/watching football, that was the game on TV in my area every weekend. Well, I guess it was them or the Giants/Jets, but I hated NY teams because of the Yankees so it was always going to be the Patriots for me.

A lot of people pick their favorite team when they are young. If you aren't born into a family that roots for a specific team, you pretty much have carte blanche to pick whoever you want. My immediate family didn't watch football when I was a kid, so I had some freedom to pick whoever.A lot of people probably pick based on their geographic location, which is how I ended up following the Patriots as a kid (plus all my other teams were out of Boston) I was born into a Red Sox and Celtics household, so I didn't have much choice there. But when you're little, picking a team based on their mascot is not that uncommon.

My son has no idea what is going on on the TV, but he knows I like the Patriots so he'll root for them when they are on. If I'm watching another game, he'll always root for his favorite mascot. My Aunt was a Vikings fan because she liked the nickname 'Purple People Eaters'. My grandfather was a huge Bart Starr fan in college and ended up being a Packers fan even though we lived in New England. People who tend to pick their favorite team based on who has the best players are usually bandwagon fans or 'pink hats'. One of my good friends has a great saying 'You root for the laundry, not the name on the back of the jersey'. By and large I agree with that. I will always root for the Patriots, but Tom Brady has been my favorite player since he took over for Bledsoe. Because of that, I'll root for the Bucs if they aren't playing the Patriots...but the Bucs aren't my team. As Super Bowl champs or 7-9, I root for the laundry above all.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Spaz said:

Yeah, I agree. People aren't allowed to like things for different reasons than why I like them. For example, there's no good reason to be a football fan, because I personally do not like football, and that means you're not allowed to, either.

Even though they are the sworn enemies of the Vikings (whom I have friends that are avid fans of) I became a Packers fan because of Aaron Rogers, dude is just fun to watch and now with Aaron Jones and Devante Adams, they make some awesome plays. Plus what's not to love about cheese?

I did like the 49ers for a while since I live in California, but those fans really got on my nerves and are mostly fair weather, just ruined it for me.

12 hours ago, Briste said:

A lot of people pick their favorite team when they are young. If you aren't born into a family that roots for a specific team, you pretty much have carte blanche to pick whoever you want. My immediate family didn't watch football when I was a kid, so I had some freedom to pick whoever.A lot of people probably pick based on their geographic location, which is how I ended up following the Patriots as a kid (plus all my other teams were out of Boston) I was born into a Red Sox and Celtics household, so I didn't have much choice there. But when you're little, picking a team based on their mascot is not that uncommon.

Adding to this is people that pick the their parent's team's rival just to spite them as well.